• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Sometimes I struggle deciding what settings to use on games. Especially if their configuration tool isn't great. Gaming screen is a Bravia XE90.

I really wish HDR configuration, or hints and tips were more readily available out there.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, Vincent added in the audio whilst in at he Panasonic convention and maybe didn't realise how off the mixing was.

Ivellios

Oct 27, 2017
Im thinking about buying my first HDR tv, is it required to make individual calibration for every game in order to have a quality image?

By the way thanks for the videos OP!

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Im thinking about buying my first HDR tv, is it required to make individual calibration for every game in order to have a quality image?

By the way thanks for the videos OP!

Not really, once your TV is in a good state of setup, most games should look good out of the box, however having an understanding of what you are doing is always beneficial.
Part of the need for this at the moment is that devs aren't overly familiar with HDR from a conceptual and a production standpoint so there has been a degree of variability with the software itself.

Someone of what I'm talking about here isn't even really new and I would imagine if I went back and looked at the gamma/brightness setup of lots of games of the past, then we would also find a bunch of errors there too.

Ivellios

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, once your TV is in a good state of setup, most games should look good out of the box, however having an understanding of what you are doing is always beneficial.
Part of the need for this at the moment is that devs aren't overly familiar with HDR from a conceptual and a production standpoint so there has been a degree of variability with the software itself.

Someone of what I'm talking about here isn't even really new and I would imagine if I went back and looked at the gamma/brightness setup of lots of games of the past, then we would also find a bunch of errors there too.

Thank you very much for your answer! I was kinda worrying that i would need to calibrate the tv constantly

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Is there any downside to setting paperwhite at 300 in games as opposed to 200? Surely it still leaves enough luminance for highlights on an OLED? I'm a bit torn between the brighter image vs what can look at a bit too contrasted.

For example the desert areas in Far Cry New Dawn I feel look a bit too dark at 200, but then maybe the highlights pop a bit more, but isn't that just due to the overall more contrasted image?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Basically the higher you set it the more likely you are to start to push the saturation out

Also the brighter you make the image, the less leftover there is for the actual peak highlights, which in turn reduces the Dynamic range.
I'll push it up to 300 if so in broad daylight

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Basically the higher you set it the more likely you are to start to push the saturation out

Also the brighter you make the image, the less leftover there is for the actual peak highlights, which in turn reduces the Dynamic range.

Hey EvilBoris. I followed your advice of "3-4 clicks to the right" in Remake 2 and it looks fantastic.

Should I do the same thing in Resident 7? Or is that one "ok" with the same blue and red colors?

TV=OLED C8.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hey EvilBoris. I followed your advice of "3-4 clicks to the right" in Remake 2 and it looks fantastic.

Should I do the same thing in Resident 7? Or is that one "ok" with the same blue and red colors?

TV=OLED C8.

That one is ok, it will aim for a higher peak white value (blue and white bars), I think with Resi 7 I was going for closer to 175
It'll probably try and take you upto 285 with an OLED, which I don't think will be a problem as it's much darker than Remake2, so you have more room to adjust.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to see Metro Exodus in HDR but since I'm not planning to buy it anytime soon (just started 2033 after procrastinating for years and years) it would be nice if DF or Gamersyde uploaded an HDR video.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Great video. Curious if EvilBoris has anything to say about DLSS affecting HDR for the RTX series of cards?

Other than if it doesn't work, it doesn't surprise me.
Nvidia have only trained for 2 resolutions or Deep Silver have only paid for 2.
I would imagine that it needs to be trained for HDR OR DLSS maybe needs more grunt it doesn't have to process a 10bit output

Has DLSS functioned in HDR in other titles?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine that it needs to be trained for HDR OR DLSS maybe needs more grunt it doesn't have to process a 10bit output

DLSS + HDR works in FFXV on my TV.
I did not test in BFV but I might take a look later today.

FacesAndAces

Chicken Chaser
Avenger
Dec 9, 2017

DLSS + HDR10 works in the other two titles -- FFXV and BFV. Please forgive me if I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me that the implementation in Metro Exodus blows out the contrast to an incredible degree?

I'd be interested in hearing folks' theories on why this happens. :)

replicantUK

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom

Paper white really confuses me as if I'm honest I don't understand what it is.

Peak luminescence is fine as I know my XE90 I use for gaming is 1000 rating, and I find it easy to set up - especially when games have a system in place to tweak e.g. make the inner and outer boxes match.

However, on a title such as Far Cry New Dawn which only has a paper white scale I'm never sure ideally how to set it up.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017

Peak luminescence is fine as I know my XE90 I use for gaming is 1000 rating, and I find it easy to set up - especially when games have a system in place to tweak e.g. make the inner and outer boxes match.

However, on a title such as Far Cry New Dawn which only has a paper white scale I'm never sure ideally how to set it up.
Paper white is basically brightness of the part of the HDR image that falls into SDR range, objects like white piece of paper that doesn't produce or reflect light. It's value should be adjusted depending on viewing conditions, so for night time (when there's little ambient light) it should be between 100-200 nits, for day time 400-500 nits, and for very bright room something like 800 nits, just as you would set brightness of the SDR content on your display.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
Dlss is not as advertised so I recommend not using it, the fact that we're on this thread means to me that we care about picture quality. Dlss definitely reduces picture quality so will harm the hdr even if not directly.

replicantUK

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Paper white is basically brightness of the part of the HDR image that falls into SDR range, objects like white piece of paper that doesn't produce or reflect light. It's value should be adjusted depending on viewing conditions, so for night time (when there's little ambient light) it should be between 100-200 nits, for day time 400-500 nits, and for very bright room something like 800 nits, just as you would set brightness of the SDR content on your display.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
Hi EvilBoris, what are your recommended settings for Shadow of the Tomb Raider? both sliders in the middle? (OLED user)

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious to see Metro Exodus in HDR but since I'm not planning to buy it anytime soon (just started 2033 after procrastinating for years and years) it would be nice if DF or Gamersyde uploaded an HDR video.

There is a video here in HDR

If you browse on a desktop browser, you can actually filter by HDR content.
There is a bunch of games and movie bits that have been run through filters and uploaded to flag as HDR, but this one I would say looks broadly as I would expect a native HDR output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_hd1TmAcUM&t=451s&ab_channel=BSDGaming

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi EvilBoris, what are your recommended settings for Shadow of the Tomb Raider? both sliders in the middle? (OLED user)

I thought it was one of those games where you can't really get it wrong (you be prepared that the first areas in the game has loads of volumetric smoke and mist effects and some pretty heavy colour grading (You get weird curvy banding which is a telltale sign of the volumetrics) so you may perceive it as having milky blacks inititally, but you'll see other areas where it is not like that at all.

In terms of setup you will need to max out "HDR luminance", you may find it still doesn't get rid of the grey logo, but that's just due to the way many TV's process the signal.
the brightness setting functions well in HDR and only offers a fairly sensible level of adjustment, so begin with the centre, however if you feel it is too dark you can increase it (I can't recall it having a major negative effect)

If it's still too dark, then you can turn HDR to Off, and increase brightness futher and turn HDR back on again to get a double effect of brightness (don't touch gamma correction)

EDIT: I just booted it and playing in a room with the lights on and it still looked pretty bright. So they may have patched it since I last looked, so you probably won't need to do double brightness increases. I might go take a look through the intro part of the the game, which is so crazy atmospheric it's actually inspired me to book a trip to mexico.

EDIT2: Yep, that is definately brighter than it was, I would actually advocate turning the brightness setting down if you can handle it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018

Following EvilBoris advice provided when I was equally confused. On OLED, I've found that for both Far Cry New Dawn and Far Cry 5, around 220 paper white suits my medium lit room. On OLED at least, if you go too much more then I notice that perfect whites dont always look perfectly bright crystal clear white. Examples of this are in Far Cry 5 with brightly lit summer skies and the white in clouds. And in New Dawn with things like flood lights at settlements at night and how they illuminate surfaces of pillars etc.

EvilBoris recommended not going above 300 and I echoe that. Infact I would recommend to be a bit lower as an absolute maximum for Far Cry. But this is on OLED, so maybe ymmv on your LED. Do allow time for your eyes to adjust, because initially you might find it a little dull, but for me, the beauty of the image and impact of HDR peak highlights starts to become more apparent. After which, I no longer want to increase it. This is coming from a guy who used to set it at 500 (such was my ignorance)

Hope that helps.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hey EvilBoris, great work as always and thank you very much for highlighting my one major concern/hesitation on Metro Exodus: that the SDR gamma issue on Xbox One applies only to SDR. Knowing that it doesn't affect HDR is making me look way more intently at grabbing the game. Didn't get an answer in the OT when I asked, so it was good you added mention of that even though it doesn't necessarily pertain to the HDR in Exodus.

replicantUK

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Following EvilBoris advice provided when I was equally confused. On OLED, I've found that for both Far Cry New Dawn and Far Cry 5, around 220 paper white suits my medium lit room. On OLED at least, if you go too much more then I notice that perfect whites dont always look perfectly bright crystal clear white. Examples of this are in Far Cry 5 with brightly lit summer skies and the white in clouds. And in New Dawn with things like flood lights at settlements at night and how they illuminate surfaces of pillars etc.

EvilBoris recommended not going above 300 and I echoe that. Infact I would recommend to be a bit lower as an absolute maximum for Far Cry. But this is on OLED, so maybe ymmv on your LED. Do allow time for your eyes to adjust, because initially you might find it a little dull, but for me, the beauty of the image and impact of HDR peak highlights starts to become more apparent. After which, I no longer want to increase it. This is coming from a guy who used to set it at 500 (such was my ignorance)

Hope that helps.

It does help. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
I can't seem to find any specific hdr settings on anthem. It does have a brightness slider that I may reduce from 50 the default setting as it is losing some detail on some faces from what I could tell.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

This makes it sound like I shouldn't wait for HDR DLSS to get fixed and just play it at 0.7 shading rate.

Oct 26, 2017
I have to play it in Movie mode instead of Game mode on my Q9FN to get local dimming working properly. It's somehow not really working as aggressive as it should in Game mode.

I have this TV as well, but could you explain what happens if you use game mode? Only problem I had on One X was with the Gamma.

EvilBoris

HDR in Fallout 76, is it HDR at all or just not too special? They don't offer any options, hell not even a brightness setting. When are you gonna learn this BGS?

Slochy

Oct 25, 2017
I have this TV as well, but could you explain what happens if you use game mode? Only problem I had on One X was with the Gamma.

In order to maintain peak HDR brightness and reduce haloing/blooming in dark areas, local dimming should always be set to "High". Somehow in Game mode, though, this doesn't seem to work as aggressive as it does in Movie mode, leading to darker/pitch black areas of the game sometimes brightening up for a split second until reverting back to pitch black darkness. I personally find this to be a tad annoying in this game which is why I resort to playing in Movie mode instead where it works perfectly fine at the cost of slightly increased input lag. Which I'm okay with. Playing on PC, btw.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
If this is true there really needs to be more talking about this. Isn't it listed on the box ? It literally isn't HDR, its like selling a 4K TV and it's a 1080p set that's menu says 4K. Why would some people just be fine with this ?

You missed the original threads when Evilboris first discovered that the game has fake hdr? People already talked about it and the vast majority already forgot and moved on. It's also not the first game with fake hdr(which doesn't excuse rockstar) and probably won't be the last.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Should RDR 2 be played with HDR turned off then? I'm confused

I think you'll probably find you get better results overall that way.

Either that or try and keep the in game brightness below 200 (but for many people that is simply unbearably dark, unless you then change other settings on your display)

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think you'll probably find you get better results overall that way.

Either that or try and keep the in game brightness below 200 (but for many people that is simply unbearably dark, unless you then change other settings on your display)
Ok, I'll try it with HDR off and see how it goes. Thanks so much for the quick reply!

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Should RDR 2 be played with HDR turned off then? I'm confused
Yeah, I am playing it right now and in their "HDR" if you make it brighter you have greys instead of blacks (washed out looking), or if you darken it so the blacks are better, then the whole picture looks like the TV is in power saving mode. Think of it like in a character creator, this game is where you move one slider and it moves others as well and messes it up when it shouldn't. This guy can explain it better but it's such a shame since this game would be so great in HDR.

Last edited: