• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing for a Control but after a long break I went back to Battlefield V and The Division 2 last night on X. Once again its a revelation the impact HDR and WCG has on games. There's no denying that Control looks fantastic but the resolution and dynamic range really mute the presentation.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Ghost Recon beta is in HDR, but with default settings it doesn't seem to be right. The other day I watched a clip on IGN of the first 15 minutes and that part looked really good, proper dark etc. But that part here for me looked too bright, almost washed out.

The beta has settings but it doesn't tell you at all wtf these are/do.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Playing in the dark now and it is just awful. The shade of grey it uses for black shows up any non-uniformity in an OLED panel. Seems to be a persistent thing though. I wonder if I need to look at the brightness setting.

It was the same on my calibrated display. I think it's just how it is.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Anyone else with a C9 would like to chime in? These HDR results, in particular, don't look right.

65" LG OLED C9
Banding test results
(using this picture as reference: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/img/gradient-h.png)

HDR

Input: Game Console
HDR Picture Mode: Game (User)

YCbCr444 8bpc: minimal
YCbCr422 10bpc: medium
YCbCr422 12bpc: medium (more than YCbCr444 8bpc; less than YCbCr422 10bpc)
YCbCr420 12bpc: medium (same as above)

Input: PC
HDR Picture Mode: Standard

YCbCr444 8bpc: minimal
YCbCr422 12bpc: medium (more than YCbCr444 8bpc; less than YCbCr422 10bpc)
YCbCr420 12bpc: minimal (little more than YCbCr444 8bpc; less than others)

SDR

Input: Game Console
Picture Mode: Game (User)

YCbCr444 8bpc: very minimal
YCbCr422 8bpc: very minimal
YCbCr422 10bpc: near flawless
YCbCr422 12bpc: near flawless
YCbCr420 8bpc: medium
YCbCr420 12bpc: very minimal
RGB 8bpc (Full Output dynamic range): minimal

Input: PC
Picture Mode: technicolor Expert (User)

YCbCr444 8bpc: very minimal
YCbCr422 8bpc: very minimal
YCbCr422 12bpc: medium
YCbCr420 8bpc: medium
YCbCr420 12bpc: minimal
RGB 8bpc (Full): medium

Note: Input labels and picture modes were selected for optimal input latency in games.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
What settings do you suggest for Gears 4 (yes, 4, not 5) on a B7, just follow what they tell you to do? And can its settings be tuned to counteract the metadataless HDR, or do I have to use my Linker with it?

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Finally get 4K 60 HDR working on my PC (it was my second monitor being on causing the OLED to go to 30hz) and now none of the in game nit sliders work right. Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox was like 3700 until the logo disappears but on my PC it disappears at 1200. Gears 5 also clips higher than 1200.

Probably something to do with windows color settings or something but I'm ready to just buy a PS4 Pro or something to wait for PS5. I wish this shit just worked like it does on console. Sorry for the rant, just sad I'm messing with shit instead of playing games.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Finally get 4K 60 HDR working on my PC (it was my second monitor being on causing the OLED to go to 30hz) and now none of the in game nit sliders work right. Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox was like 3700 until the logo disappears but on my PC it disappears at 1200. Gears 5 also clips higher than 1200.

Probably something to do with windows color settings or something but I'm ready to just buy a PS4 Pro or something to wait for PS5. I wish this shit just worked like it does on console. Sorry for the rant, just sad I'm messing with shit instead of playing games.

It's probably just because on PC, the graphics cards send out the metadata and this is getting your display to tonemap to that value

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
The cable bandwidth was in fact the problem I was facing, as a new cable I had ordered showed up today and after plugging it in I'm now able to run Destiny 2 (and any other game ostensibly) at 4K/60 at 12bit 422. So thanks again for the help EvilBoris!

One final question about Destiny 2 though. I know the in-game HDR is kind of borked at the moment, but the brightness control seems uniquely borked in a way I've never encountered. When setting HDR White Point, the further I push the bar to the right, the less clipped the test image become. The instructions saying to adjust until the center image is barely visible is a joke on my display, as I have to max the bar out before it even shows up. I'm trying to determine if that's just the way the in-game HDR adjustment is behaving right now for everyone.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The cable bandwidth was in fact the problem I was facing, as a new cable I had ordered showed up today and after plugging it in I'm now able to run Destiny 2 (and any other game ostensibly) at 4K/60 at 12bit 422. So thanks again for the help EvilBoris!

One final question about Destiny 2 though. I know the in-game HDR is kind of borked at the moment, but the brightness control seems uniquely borked in a way I've never encountered. When setting HDR White Point, the further I push the bar to the right, the less clipped the test image become. The instructions saying to adjust until the center image is barely visible is a joke on my display, as I have to max the bar out before it even shows up. I'm trying to determine if that's just the way the in-game HDR adjustment is behaving right now for everyone.

Glad it worked
Both settings need to be bang in the centre for the image to be correct, fundamentally that white point option does the same as increasing/decreasing contrast on your display.
You might are better off disabling HDR and increasing/decreasing the brightness and then reenabling it again if you want things brighter/darker.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Glad it worked
Both settings need to be bang in the centre for the image to be correct, fundamentally that white point option does the same as increasing/decreasing contrast on your display.
You might are better off disabling HDR and increasing/decreasing the brightness and then reenabling it again if you want things brighter/darker.
So the setting screen itself is just screwed up I take it? Because, effectively, as I move the bar more to the left, the more clipped the test pattern becomes. If I set the bar to 0, all the way to the left, the interface and game get blown out and highlights start getting clipped. It's just really behavior, it's like the setting itself is inverted.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So the setting screen itself is just screwed up I take it? Because, effectively, as I move the bar more to the left, the more clipped the test pattern becomes. If I set the bar to 0, all the way to the left, the interface and game get blown out and highlights start getting clipped. It's just really behavior, it's like the setting itself is inverted.

yeah it is a bit weird and back to front, I don't pay too much attention to that screen as the icons don't correspond with anything in game from what I've ever seen.
I just use it to quickly bump up brightness if I'm playing in the daytime

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
yeah it is a bit weird and back to front, I don't pay too much attention to that screen as the icons don't correspond with anything in game from what I've ever seen.
I just use it to quickly bump up brightness if I'm playing in the daytime
Would you recommend ycc 422 checked or unchecked on the LG c7 for use when not injecting

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I am a bit confused about the HDR brightness settings in Gears 5. If HDR brightness is at 900, I can see the sun as a small spot, at 1000 it already blends with the clouds. If I increase it up to 2000, the area around the sun keeps getting brighter, anything above 2000 doesn't make a difference anymore. The overall consensus here seems to be 4000. Is this dependent on TV? I have got a Sony XE93. Most of you guys seem to be OLED owners...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I am a bit confused about the HDR brightness settings in Gears 5. If HDR brightness is at 900, I can see the sun as a small spot, at 1000 it already blends with the clouds. If I increase it up to 2000, the area around the sun keeps getting brighter, anything above 2000 doesn't make a difference anymore. The overall consensus here seems to be 4000. Is this dependent on TV? I have got a Sony XE93. Most of you guys seem to be OLED owners...

I think it's TV dependent. I have mine set to 900 (Vizio P-65 F1), and anything more seems to start losing details around the sun. My brightness is set to 140, if I lower it to 100, I can bump up the nits higher, but it doesn't look as good to me.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
I think it's TV dependent. I have mine set to 900 (Vizio P-65 F1), and anything more seems to start losing details around the sun. My brightness is set to 140, if I lower it to 100, I can bump up the nits higher, but it doesn't look as good to me.

Thank you. I guess that makes sense as our TVs have a similar peak brightness.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Turn down the brightness to 100, then set the HDR brightness. The HDR brightness should stay at that value, then adjust brightness to your preferred overall brightness.

this will ensure you get the highest peak brightness of your display, not lose highlight detail and be comfortable for your own taste

Oct 25, 2017
Turn down the brightness to 100, then set the HDR brightness. The HDR brightness should stay at that value, then adjust brightness to your preferred overall brightness.

this will ensure you get the highest peak brightness of your display, not lose highlight detail and be comfortable for your own taste

Ahhhhh, I'll try that out.

That's interesting. Does this sort of adjustment apply to more games or just Gears 5?

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
The cable bandwidth was in fact the problem I was facing, as a new cable I had ordered showed up today and after plugging it in I'm now able to run Destiny 2 (and any other game ostensibly) at 4K/60 at 12bit 422. So thanks again for the help @EvilBoris!

Which cable, if you don't mind me asking? I finally had enough of my F-16 Jet Fighter Edition PS4 Pro. Decided to banish it to my walk-in closet, door closed, in my home office. I know that isn't the best idea for long term health, but the cost/benefit is fine with me. In any event, I purchased a well-reviewed 15-foot cable on Amazon, but it def loses the 4K HDR signal more often than I'd prefer (KS8000 via Yamaha 781 AVR).

EvilBoris Is the proper XB1X video setup 8-bit 4:2:0 as advised in the past? Thank you!

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018

Thanks. I have tried that and now the value is a slightly higher (1300). Also I have just watched your video about recommended HDR settings in Gears 5. There is a footnote in it saying that GPUs usually output 1000 nit metadata over HDMI which makes the value closer to 1000. Does this effect the picture quality compared to the the Xbox version?
May be a stupid question, but I have to admit HDR is still a mystery to me ;).

As it isn't linked yet:

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Which cable, if you don't mind me asking? I finally had enough of my F-16 Jet Fighter Edition PS4 Pro. Decided to banish it to my walk-in closet, door closed, in my home office. I know that isn't the best idea for long term health, but the cost/benefit is fine with me. In any event, I purchased a well-reviewed 15-foot cable on Amazon, but it def loses the 4K HDR signal more often than I'd prefer (KS8000 via Yamaha 781 AVR).

EvilBoris Is the proper XB1X video setup 8-bit 4:2:0 as advised in the past? Thank you!
Well I might've spoken too soon, cause I'm still dealing with the problem after all, though at this point I'm pretty sure it's not due to cable bandwidth. Anyway, here's the cable I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031TRZX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Goddammit. It was in fact a cable problem, just not one of bandwith, but length. I dug out an extremely old HDMI cable that was 10' shorter, plugged it in, and everything is working flawlessly now. No stutter, and the picture isn't cutting out randomly. 15' just so happens to be nearly the exact length my PC is away from my TV, so now I have this long-ass HDMI cable zip line going from my TV to my desk. It's frustrating that the maximum distance a 10/12bit 422 4K/60 picture can travel is under 20' feet though, but at least it's working now.

Welp, that's the same cable, but mine is 15 feet.

That's extremely odd then, as the cable I dug out so happens to be the 15' foot version of the cable I bought (I'm an idiot for not checking my Amazon purchase history more thoroughly lol), so we're ostensibly using the exact same cable now, yet yours is cutting out and mine isn't. Weirder still is that I'm pushing significantly more data than a PS4 Pro ever would.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit. It was in fact a cable problem, just not one of bandwith, but length. I dug out an extremely old HDMI cable that was 10' shorter, plugged it in, and everything is working flawlessly now. No stutter, and the picture isn't cutting out randomly. 15' just so happens to be nearly the exact length my PC is away from my TV, so now I have this long-ass HDMI cable zip line going from my TV to my desk. It's frustrating that the maximum distance a 10/12bit 422 4K/60 picture can travel is under 20' feet though, but at least it's working now.

That's extremely odd then, as the cable I dug out so happens to be the 15' foot version of the cable I bought (I'm an idiot for not checking my Amazon purchase history more thoroughly lol), so we're ostensibly using the exact same cable now, yet yours is cutting out and mine isn't. Weirder still is that I'm pushing significantly more data than a PS4 Pro ever would.

For whatever reason, my PS4 Pro has always had some manner of random, dropped signal problem. Sometimes not for weeks/months, sometimes repeatedly over a couple days. My X1X, Firestick 4K have never dropped once (though the total playtime is profoundly skewed towards PS4 Pro). All consoles using the included cable. the cable between the RX 781 and KS000 is a high quality cable.

I'll give it some more test time. The cable wasn't too expensive. The game I was playing, fwiw, was Madden 20 on PS4 Pro.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
For whatever reason, my PS4 Pro has always had some manner of random, dropped signal problem. Sometimes not for weeks/months, sometimes repeatedly over a couple days. My X1X, Firestick 4K have never dropped once (though the total playtime is profoundly skewed towards PS4 Pro). All consoles using the included cable. the cable between the RX 781 and KS000 is a high quality cable.

I'll give it some more test time. The cable wasn't too expensive. The game I was playing, fwiw, was Madden 20 on PS4 Pro.
After going through what I just did, the first thing I'd try is using the shortest cable you can manage and ruling that out as a possibility.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Have to say, playing through Gears 5 the HDR implementation is really wowing me, with contrast set a bit higher, and the intensity of the highlights, it's one hell of a treat! Also I've just realised MS upped the bitrate of the 4K HDR recordings on the X, not so long ago they'd be very low quality, breaking up all over the place, but now vastly better.

Bilalsq1

Oct 25, 2017
Hi. For these settings, what contrast value do you use on the tv itself for LG C9. I have felt using 100 makes pics too punchy But Iv hears that's how it should be for HDR? It just feels distorted
EvilBoris

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Right here. Do you want settings for the game or the TV? My game settings actually look best at the default setting, but I also play in a dark room.

I play in both bright and dark, so I'll keep your default = dark in mind. But I also play in a really bright room, so I'll prob have to adjust for that. I haven't yet booted the game up. Nearing the end of Metro Exodus, so I figure I'll finish that first.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right here. Do you want settings for the game or the TV? My game settings actually look best at the default setting, but I also play in a dark room.

Game mostly. I play in medium lighting. In Gears, I tried 50/140/1500 during Act 1 and some multiplayer and it looked alright. At those settings, I could still see the sun in the game's calibration image.

WorldHero

Oct 27, 2017
Game mostly. I play in medium lighting. In Gears, I tried 50/140/1500 during Act 1 and some multiplayer and it looked alright. At those settings, I could still see the sun in the game's calibration image.

Ok, I tried different game settings but settled on the default. I'd also recommend getting some black out curtains for your room. It made a huge difference for me.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
On my LG B7 the sun spot blends in at 900 HDR Brightness, but I bump it to 1000 which is the metadata that the PC outputs. However if I raise it above that the sun spot starts becoming visible again?

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Hi. For these settings, what contrast value do you use on the tv itself for LG C9. I have felt using 100 makes pics too punchy But Iv hears that's how it should be for HDR? It just feels distorted
EvilBoris
On the tv switching from an sdr mode to an hdr one you'll notice that both oled light and contrast automatically default to 100 each. These should not be lowered as doing so will affect hdr impact. If the image looks too punchy, you should double check you have color gamut set to auto, as anything else will give you oversaturated colours.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Is it just me guys or have they now greatly improved HDR for all of Monster Hunter World? The demo of Iceborne was already quite a bit better looking.

I was in that area with lava just now and the lava looked awesome!

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me guys or have they now greatly improved HDR for all of Monster Hunter World? The demo of Iceborne was already quite a bit better looking.

I was in that area with lava just now and the lava looked awesome!

It is much better (don't think I'd call it good though). I have the brightness turned up a few notches and some of the older areas no longer look terrible with HDR (like the original hub during sunset).