• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, dynamic tone mapping in game mode should solve all brightness issues that you hear 2017 OLED owners talking about. Also, in game mode on 8 series even without dyn tone mapping enabled, it provides a brighter picture. Vincent shows the different eotf curves in the c8 vs b7 comparison video, I believe.

The reason, at least for me, that a linker was purchased was to improve the dim tone mapping on my C7. Your B8 shouldn't have an issue and you should not need a linker.
i have a C7 and is this the first time i hear about this device, do you mind pointing me in a "noob" guide direction please, if this really makes a big difference i will definitely invest on it, thank you.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky should be getting an updated HDR mode soon per their Steam patch notes!

HDR:

We wanted to clarify some points about the HDR implementation. HDR is a new display standard that has been featured on many new monitors and TVs in the past few years. It allows monitors to display brighter colours than were previously possible.

We have supported HDR on consoles for a while, but have been revisiting it in the last few months to take advantage of more recent techniques. The result of this work has been building an entirely new implementation that also works on PC. We want to eventually roll this out cross-platform, but we are keen to preview it and have your feedback. As such, we have integrated it into this experimental Vulkan build.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/3570700856123427223/?ctp=33

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
So this will be updated for consoles too? I wonder what techniques they use.
As long as the keep the option for the old one like Red Dead did in case they introduce some BS that many might not like then this'll be great.

Oct 2, 2018
Those displays support HDR rather than doing it particularly well ( as they have very limited local dimming)
I'd imagine in games that have high average brightness (due to half the screen being sky) will probably still look good. Things that aren't so reliant on black details.
Sea of Thieves, Forza H4, Horizon ZD and even assassin's creed will probably look good still.
Just make sure you have your brightness set correctly on your display, as sometimes out of the box they can raise blacks a little more than purely the backlight causing an issue

I have a similar issue. I have a Samsung NU8000, according to RTings this set has features closer to the Q6, despite lacking the Quantum Dots. I know i cant expect bleeding edge HDR, but with its 800 nits peak one could expect something like decent HDR. The thing is, in ps4 Spiderman i see a noticeable upgrade in lighting (for me it looks more realistic on day time), but in Uncharted 4 and some areas of Infamous SS it looks washed out and, specially in Uncharted, 4 some levels i feel it looks way better on SDR, specially the vegetation, with deep greens that almost pop up from screen. Is almost like you see what they promise ya with HDR, but actually turning it off. In fact, i dont know if that happens due the migration to Pro and a 4k TV, because i originally completed U4 two years ago on a FAT PS4 and a full HD TV, and then played it again until now for testing the Pro and TV purposes. Maybe i see the big upgrade on SDR just due to the Wide Color Gamut, i dont know. Anyway, back to HDR, with Horizon i dont see a big change between SDR and HDR, and on RE 2,RE 7 and GoW i see some changes, but its not big deal. My point is, you guys talk about setting the brightness, is the brightness of the games? the TV? Both? What can i do to get the best HDR possible from this mid class TV? Please help!

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone checked out the HDR in A Plague Tale: Innocence? Looks a bit iffy to me but wanted someone with a trained eye's thoughts.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does local dimming affect HDR quality much? recommended was medium to high , but for whatever reason i was getting eye strain or something, i set it to low and its fine ?

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does local dimming affect HDR quality much? recommended was medium to high , but for whatever reason i was getting eye strain or something, i set it to low and its fine ?

I've had a Sony x800d with no local dimming and I now have a TCL R617 with it. Local dimming has been so great that it put me off upgrading to even OLED for the time being since the black levels in HDR can be jaw dropping in the right conditions. I can't even look at the Sony sets HDR anymore it is such a downgrade!

Try and keep it on!

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I have a similar issue. I have a Samsung NU8000, according to RTings this set has features closer to the Q6, despite lacking the Quantum Dots. I know i cant expect bleeding edge HDR, but with its 800 nits peak one could expect something like decent HDR. The thing is, in ps4 Spiderman i see a noticeable upgrade in lighting (for me it looks more realistic on day time), but in Uncharted 4 and some areas of Infamous SS it looks washed out and, specially in Uncharted, 4 some levels i feel it looks way better on SDR, specially the vegetation, with deep greens that almost pop up from screen. Is almost like you see what they promise ya with HDR, but actually turning it off. In fact, i dont know if that happens due the migration to Pro and a 4k TV, because i originally completed U4 two years ago on a FAT PS4 and a full HD TV, and then played it again until now for testing the Pro and TV purposes. Maybe i see the big upgrade on SDR just due to the Wide Color Gamut, i dont know. Anyway, back to HDR, with Horizon i dont see a big change between SDR and HDR, and on RE 2,RE 7 and GoW i see some changes, but its not big deal. My point is, you guys talk about setting the brightness, is the brightness of the games? the TV? Both? What can i do to get the best HDR possible from this mid class TV? Please help!
On uncharted 4 hdr is used to give a more natural look so things are less saturated.

You can increase your saturation if you want the pop which is not what hdr is.

I think with your criticisms you must have your sdr image really bright and saturated which will make hdr seem underwhelming.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone checked out the HDR in A Plague Tale: Innocence? Looks a bit iffy to me but wanted someone with a trained eye's thoughts.

Overall it's ok, it's a little overexposed on the default settings with some white clipping, dropping it back with this will help a little.
And other times it looks a little grey. Most of the time that's just some volumetric fog or alpha effects

Areas are graded very differently, so there are areas that are noticeably darker than others, particularly later on

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

It depends on the model, often it's not just the "dimming" that is being controlled but also the brightness it can achieve

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've had a Sony x800d with no local dimming and I now have a TCL R617 with it. Local dimming has been so great that it put me off upgrading to even OLED for the time being since the black levels in HDR can be jaw dropping in the right conditions. I can't even look at the Sony sets HDR anymore it is such a downgrade!

Try and keep it on!
It depends on the model, often it's not just the "dimming" that is being controlled but also the brightness it can achieve
Interesting, I have sony x900e . And I feel like local dimming sometimes a bit too aggressive on high and medium. Also is TLC R617 considered higher tier than sony x900 series?Afaik they are not available in UK

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Overall it's ok, it's a little overexposed on the default settings with some white clipping, dropping it back with this will help a little.
And other times it looks a little grey. Most of the time that's just some volumetric fog or alpha effects

Areas are graded very differently, so there are areas that are noticeably darker than others, particularly later on
Thanks for this. Would you say overall it's worth keeping on or is it best to just turn it off and forget about it?

PowerK

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What's the latest consensus on 'Allow YCC422' on XBOX ONE X ?

As I'm aware this feature has been hit or miss over the last couple of Microsoft System Software. Given the XBOX One received another system update last week, any changes or fixes regarding YCC422 ?

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I have sony x900e . And I feel like local dimming sometimes a bit too aggressive on high and medium. Also is TLC R617 considered higher tier than sony x900 series?Afaik they are not available in UK

Our TVs are around the same! RTINGS mention that they found the local dimming on yours to be too aggressive on high so you should def turn it down if you feel the need to!

Robspassion

Jan 10, 2019

I tried it out on a Sony KD-75ZD9 and found the HDR Implementation really good. Not Horizon: Zero Dawn level but there are several areas with deep blacks which also retain enough detail. I also found many punchy highlights. It´s not the best compared to some highlights but overall great for such a "small" game.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it out on a Sony KD-75ZD9 and found the HDR Implementation really good. Not Horizon: Zero Dawn level but there are several areas with deep blacks which also retain enough detail. I also found many punchy highlights. It´s not the best compared to some highlights but overall great for such a "small" game.

It's interesting how a lot of people think Horizon has a good hdr implementation when EvilBoris has said that they didn't get it quite right.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's interesting how a lot of people think Horizon has a good hdr implementation when EvilBoris has said that they didn't get it quite right.

I can't remember saying much about it tbh, It's a bit overexposed due to it having no upper cap, but otherwise it's very good. I might of had a gripe with it the brightness adjustment, but that's all I can think of really .

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Standard / 8-bit / 4:2:2 is how I read it.

That's how I set mine.
That should give you 4:2:2 for HDR and 8bit RGB for SDR.

Interestingly I now actually set my Xbox at 120hz 1440p and this only seems to engage on a few non-HDR X enhanced games.
I'm playing a lot of R6 siege, which benefits, but I will still get a full 4K output automatically in other games

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
That's how I set mine.
That should give you 4:2:2 for HDR and 8bit RGB for SDR.

Interestingly I now actually set my Xbox at 120hz 1440p and this only seems to engage on a few non-HDR X enhanced games.
I'm playing a lot of R6 siege, which benefits, but I will still get a full 4K output automatically in other games

I thought about doing 120hz/1440p, but when I enable Freesync/VRR (I've got a Samsung Q9FN), the panel still refreshes at 60hz. In order to get 120hz, I have to disable Freesync/VRR which seems counter productive.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I had the chance to try the new HDR implementation of RDR2 on my Sony X930E. Here are my settings if it can be useful for anybody else with a Sony LCD TV that behave roughly in the same way (X930E, Z9D, X900F, etc.)

I began calibrating by setting the Peak Brightness value first, and only then went to tweaking Paper White. I had to set the Peak Brightness value to 1400, which roughly corresponds to the nits specification of the X930E. More than that and it began losing details in the highlights. It means that for Peak Brightness, you should put in the nits value corresponding to the specifications of your own LCD.

For Paper White, I played with it a bit and settled for something between 140 and 150 (still tweaking to find the exact value). Higher than that and it began to quickly eat details in the highlights. To find the right value, I went to a very bright scene with lots of highlights (like staring outside after entering a dark building, or staring at the sun on a cloudy day), and tweaked the value until it was as high as I could without removing details in the highlights and raising the blacks too much. For me it was in the 140 - 150 range. Again, Peak Brightness should be set properly first before modifying the Paper White value.

I'm very pleased with the picture quality using these settings. It produces very bright highlights, and I don't find the blacks to be raised that much. I think it gives a very beautiful picture. RDR2's HDR does desaturate the colors though, and there's unfortunately nothing that can be done about it. But I think I might choose to live with this for the impressive highlights that it gives.

Edit: oh, and don't bother with the reference images in the HDR configuration menu. For me they were inaccurate and useless. It's better to calibrate in game using a very bright scene with lots of highlights.

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so I changed from 10-bit/Standard/4:2:2 to 8-bit/Standard/4:2:2, and immediately noticed color banding in the sky while playing Rage 2. I've been playing the game a lot lately and the difference was immediately noticeable. I flipped back and forth between 8-bit and 10-bit a couple times, and I can immediately see the different in the sky. No change between 10-bit and 12-bit that I can see, but 8-bit produces clear banding in what should be a smooth sky gradient.

Not sure why 8-bit / Standard isn't the right setup for a Samsung Q9FN, but 10-bit was clearly better than 8-bit for this panel.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, so I changed from 10-bit/Standard/4:2:2 to 8-bit/Standard/4:2:2, and immediately noticed color banding in the sky while playing Rage 2. I've been playing the game a lot lately and the difference was immediately noticeable. I flipped back and forth between 8-bit and 10-bit a couple times, and I can immediately see the different in the sky. No change between 10-bit and 12-bit that I can see, but 8-bit produces clear banding in what should be a smooth sky gradient.

Not sure why 8-bit / Standard isn't the right setup for a Samsung Q9FN, but 10-bit was clearly better than 8-bit for this panel.

There are all kinds of other implications for why you might get banding. Xbox is setup to output 2.2 gamma, but the Samsung panel uses BT1886 gamma, which is closer to 2.4, this in itself will make banding. Not sure why that might be different between 10bit and 8bit modes.

Edit: my Q9FN tracks gamma 2.2 in game mode, even though it is saying bt1886 .
This is on the 0 setting in the TV.

It's doesn't track different beyond some rounding errors, whether in 8bitRGB or 10bit422

Last edited:

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know the best audio settings for Xbox if you have a Dolby Atmos setup? I've found I have to set it to Atmos output to play Netflix Atmos stuff but what is the Xbox doing when I play DTS or DD stuff because my amp still says it's receiving an Atmos signal.
I don't know why the Xbox can't just output whatever signal a game/video uses like other devices.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone know the best audio settings for Xbox if you have a Dolby Atmos setup? I've found I have to set it to Atmos output to play Netflix Atmos stuff but what is the Xbox doing when I play DTS or DD stuff because my amp still says it's receiving an Atmos signal.
I don't know why the Xbox can't just output whatever signal a game/video uses like other devices.

The big spring update is going to include Atmos upmixing, so soon you'll be able to just leave it set to Atmos and get a good experience regardless of what the original source is. In the meantime, I usually leave it set to PCM, so my receiver can just upmix using DTS Neural X or Dolby Surround.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like there is some dithering enabled at 10 bit and above that is just not available for 8 bit.

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
The big spring update is going to include Atmos upmixing, so soon you'll be able to just leave it set to Atmos and get a good experience regardless of what the original source is. In the meantime, I usually leave it set to PCM, so my receiver can just upmix using DTS Neural X or Dolby Surround.
Thanks for the reply, it lead me to this article which explains it in detail.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017

At this point I'm not sure that if Samsung TV's can even display RGB signal properly, they internally run in YCbCr (422?), so the banding you see might be from TV converting RGB to YCbCr, and not bit depth.
Apparently LG TV's suffer from similar issue, the infamous banding in PC mode can be fixed by sending YCbCr 444 instead of RGB.

vXhQoAs.gif

Source

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm not sure that if Samsung TV's can even display RGB signal properly, they internally run in YCbCr (422?), so the banding you see might be from TV converting RGB to YCbCr, and not bit depth.
Apparently LG TV's suffer from similar issue, the infamous banding in PC mode can be fixed by sending YCbCr 444 instead of RGB.

vXhQoAs.gif

Source
If the banding in PC mode is due to that then why is YUV422 horribly banded on LG?

Oct 2, 2018
On uncharted 4 hdr is used to give a more natural look so things are less saturated.

You can increase your saturation if you want the pop which is not what hdr is.

I think with your criticisms you must have your sdr image really bright and saturated which will make hdr seem underwhelming.

My settings were the same recommended at https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000/settings but i changed brightness to -4 (it was on 0), and it reduced the washed out, still some of it on very bright scenes on Uncharted 4 but i guess its the price the TV not reaching 1000 nits), but overall i now can see a difference for good on Uncharted 4 with HDR. Color format on my Pro is set to YUV420 .I played Last of Us, which i completed originally on PS3 in 2014, and played Left Behind for the last time in 2016 on full HD TV and PS4 FAT....And now i could compare and with this game HDR is a MUST.... looks like a remaster of the remaster: I tried without HDR to compare, and colors and specially contrast between light and dark zones looks flatter, I feel this game makes a better use of HDR than Uncharted 4.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
My settings were the same recommended at https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000/settings but i changed brightness to -4 (it was on 0), and it reduced the washed out, still some of it on very bright scenes on Uncharted 4 but i guess its the price the TV not reaching 1000 nits), but overall i now can see a difference for good on Uncharted 4 with HDR. Color format on my Pro is set to YUV420 .I played Last of Us, which i completed originally on PS3 in 2014, and played Left Behind for the last time in 2016 on full HD TV and PS4 FAT....And now i could compare and with this game HDR is a MUST.... looks like a remaster of the remaster: I tried without HDR to compare, and colors and specially contrast between light and dark zones looks flatter, I feel this game makes a better use of HDR than Uncharted 4.
On uncharted 4 be sure to play with the in hand brightness slider. Ignore the text. I find it best to have it lower than suggested on my a1.

The slider is set up for sdr so the guidelines don't match up too well.

HDR on tlou is good though.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
If the banding in PC mode is due to that then why is YUV422 horribly banded on LG?
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps PC mode can't display anything other than YCbCr 444 correctly. I don't own LG display, and the example I posted isn't mine, I put it there because I figured out it could be useful to someone here. Since there's no reason why YCbCr would look better than RGB (All modern panels I can think of are using RGB sub-pixel matrix after all, so it's reasonable to think that those TV's would be operating internally in RGB), so there's definitely something funky going on with signal processing on LG and Samsung displays.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up Metro Exodus off GamePass and was surprised to see a color space option to select either SRGB, Limited SRGB, or Rec.709. I watched EvilBoris's video from a few months back, but it looks like it was uploaded before the patch that allows you to choose the color space.

What have you all found to be the best setup for Metro Exodus? I'm using an X1X and Samsung Q9FN.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Picked up Metro Exodus off GamePass and was surprised to see a color space option to select either SRGB, Limited SRGB, or Rec.709. I watched EvilBoris's video from a few months back, but it looks like it was uploaded before the patch that allows you to choose the color space.

What have you all found to be the best setup for Metro Exodus? I'm using an X1X and Samsung Q9FN.

The colour space setup doesn't affect the game in HDR mode , so don't worry about it

On the Q9FN leave the game on default, but set your TV's gamma st2084 to -3 to retrieve some highlight detail with a 4000nit tonemap

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The colour space setup doesn't affect the game in HDR mode , so don't worry about it

On the Q9FN leave the game on default, but set your TV's gamma st2084 to -3 to retrieve some highlight detail with a 4000nit tonemap

Thanks for the reply. Question about your suggestion - is that for all games, or just Metro? I've been using settings I found on the AV forums that have me doing -3 to Brightness and +3 to Gamma st2084 to offset. Should I be doing -3 Gamma and 0 for Brightness?

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Is it viable for devs to implement heatmaps ingame? It would be a fine way to calibrate HDR settings natively, better than current logo over black or white square thing.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the reply. Question about your suggestion - is that for all games, or just Metro? I've been using settings I found on the AV forums that have me doing -3 to Brightness and +3 to Gamma st2084 to offset. Should I be doing -3 Gamma and 0 for Brightness?

The Gamma option adjusts the EOTF curve. Very broadly 0 is the default hard rolloff, -1 is 2000 slow rollof -2 is 3000 and -4 is 4000
Picking a matching setting will preserve highlight detail, but you may notice the image becomes slightly darker.
Metro is uses the full 4000nits which can't be adjusted.

Every single display is different , so there is only so much you can glean to get it "perfect" but without anything to validate what you are doing it's hard to make a reccomendations.
However based upon what I've seen and what I've read from others about that display
Drop Contrast down a little, maybe to 47
Leave brightness on 0
st2084 on 0
Unless you are playing a game where you notice white clipping and has no peak brightness (Metro is one where it was really noticable to me)
I would only go the the + options if you are watching a piece of HDR content and it is too dark to see.