• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Start by putting in these settings - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a9f-oled/settings - but I would suggest Smooth Gradation set to Low since its something the Sony does that other brands don't/have compromised implementations and I've only seen loss of detail once, in one scene, in one film. My professional calibrator suggested I leave it on as well as its benefits far outweigh that one bad example. On the rtings page they say noise reduction can help with low bitrate stuff but its just a bandaid so I'd say leave it off personally, although thats only really relevant for video, not games.

For the best iput lag make sure you enter all these settings into the Game mode preset and make sure you are on the HDMI input the computer/console is connected to as the settings are per input, you can see at a glance what preset you have on each input if you press help on the remote and go down and select "Picture/Auto picture mode setting list".

For SDR, the Brightness setting should be set according to your conditions, if you play in the dark then adjust it when its dark. Peak Luminance should be on High to get the full effect of HDR, adjust the brightness setting if it makes it too bright/dark, but you want it on High to get the best dynamic range. Bear in mind, when you send an HDR signal to the TV it will automatically increase the brightness value to max, this is normal. On that page I linked they say its recommended to have it set to 100 but if the TV receives an HDR signal it will do this anyway. So when you see that HDR label on the settings page brightness should be at 100 no matter what, otherwise its not really HDR. Its not the same as setting brightness to 100 with an SDR signal, just ask if you want to delve deeper into understanding why that is but its not essential to know.

I would stick with Expert 1 for colour temperature, even if it looks too yellow/orange/warm right away wait til your eyes adjust, maybe play games for an hour or two before you think about changing it. If you find something in a game thats supposed to be pure white [make sure the object/surface doesnt have other lights shining on it and imparting their colour to it, look for something white thats lit by white lights, or a piece of white paper in a game and then adjust the setting and you will see its far too blue in cool or neutral colour temperatures. Even warm will be slightly too blue in my experience.

Game mode will disable most of the motion settings so there isn't much to change there but if you are setting up an HDMI input for watching films from a BD Player then I suggest turning all the motion settings off for the creators intent. If calibrating an app like Netflix be aware that it has its own input called "Apps", so boot up Netflix [or Amazon Prime, Vudu, etc] before changing any picture settings.

Please feel free to DM or @ me here if you want more info, need clarification or have any questions but this should get you well on your way to a beautiful image!
Oh...lots to take in. Just got back from the gym and about to eat but I'll tuck in to this later this evening before I play some Death Stranding. Thank you.

As a quick note - I did use Rtings basic settings but I'm not sure if they are the same as the link you posted. We'll soon see.

I'll give my usual proviso in regard RTINGS - don't copy their white balance settings. Also I would suggest not setting your brightness to 5. Way, way too dark for gaming, even in a pitch black room. Leave it at the Game default i.e. 'Max'
If I remember the changes I made were were not that far-reaching. Nothing advanced but I'll see what comes from tonight's adjustments.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I have the LG B7A, 2017, oled, I have read that it is near top of the line HDR wise, one of the better ones. (2017-2019)

I calibrated the ps4pros hdr settings with the instructions on screen, and i also do it within the games each time.

Atm , color wise it looks a lot better when it is on HDR standard and not HDR game, but i know Game mode should be what it is on.

Am I gaming wrong if i play single player games on standard HDR and not game mode HDR. I was always under the impression that game mode is what it should always be on with games. But of course I prefer visuals. Is it normal to sacrifice colors in favor of lighting innovations in these games? Is the intent for colors to be a bit more washed out from the dev side ? Maybe with the oled Pop, i am too used to over saturated greens and what not, on grass and trees. But it looks dull with game mode HDR, . when I am in game mode without HDR, it looks great.

Another thing, there is a scene with a vehicle light in Death Stranding where on HDR standard, the headlights are blue, but on HDR game mode they are green and it looks like a color error almost, idk. Maybe my screen is messed up.
Chances are there's something turned on in normal hdr mode like Live colour /colour saturation or dynamic contrast that isn't on when in game mode.

You can probably enable it in game mode but then you aren't getting the image you are supposed to be. But it is personal taste after all. Set it up to look the way you want.

It could also be a colour profile /temperature difference too

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh...lots to take in. Just got back from the gym and about to eat but I'll tuck in to this later this evening before I play some Death Stranding. Thank you.

As a quick note - I did use Rtings basic settings but I'm not sure if they are the same as the link you posted. We'll soon see.

If I remember the changes I made were were not that far-reaching. Nothing advanced but I'll see what comes from tonight's adjustments.

To be honest, Game at default settings is pretty good.

_Gandour_

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Did you have to change the settings for it to look good?

I kind of just left DS at default. Couldn't really figure out the cloud stuff as raising it to 60 didn't do much to the image but brighten it.

But mine looks great as is, so I'm not too worried.
It did not look bad at default, but after changing the brightness to 2 to make the left image invisible, 60 on hdr made the sky bright without clipping the clouds

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Currently rocking 50 luminosity and 3 brightness for Death Stranding on my B7 with 1000 metadata injected with a Linker.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the consensus for using dynamic tone mapping on LG OLEDs. Trying it with RDR2 and I'm finding that the game looks better with it on than off.

Using 4000 nits brightness and 80 paperwhite

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Anyone playing Jedi Fallen Order? Default HDR brightness seems to look like a good balance but was wondering

Oct 25, 2017
I tried lowering the brightness to make the left imagine invisible in Death Stranding but it just makes everything a bit too dark, kind of like a black crushed image.

I can change the luminosity up to 60 without losing detail in the clouds, but it changes to an ugly color and I'm not sure I like that. I guess I'll keep it at the defaults for now.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think these would be the settings to go with for a B7 without a Linker?
Might be. Going above 50 luminosity seems to just start oversaturating the colors. Before I injected metadata I had to lower brightness all the way to hide the handprints, which caused black crush. It seems brightness of 2 or 3 is ideal.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Start by putting in these settings - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a9f-oled/settings - but I would suggest Smooth Gradation set to Low...
So yeah, those settings are for the A9. I have the A1. However, the only difference is Brightness, from '4' to '14'. The rest are identical. I have set Smooth Gradation to 'Low' now too. I used to have it 'Off' until now.

Death Stranding's main issue is standing by rock formations in low light, the gradation from visible to shadowed formations seems none-existent (like black blotches). I played about with HDMI Video Range. Setting it to 'Full' makes a massive difference i.e. eliminates blotches but it overly washes out the picture. It's horrid. I turned it back to 'Limited' and now the colours pop but I'm back to black blotches.

I'll give my usual proviso in regard RTINGS - don't copy their white balance settings. Also I would suggest not setting your brightness to 5. Way, way too dark for gaming, even in a pitch black room. Leave it at the Game default i.e. 'Max'
My Brightness is usually set to '14' anyway (as per the setting above from RTINGS for A9). I tried Brightness 'Max', which is certainly effective, but too much. I'm very aware of panel longevity so I've increased it to '20' for now. I might turn it up further today and see what it's like long-term with different games.

It's the black blotches that are the biggest issue for me right now.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
So yeah, those settings are for the A9. I have the A1. However, the only difference is Brightness, from '4' to '14'. The rest are identical. I have set Smooth Gradation to 'Low' now too. I used to have it 'Off' until now.

Death Stranding's main issue is standing by rock formations in low light, the gradation from visible to shadowed formations seems none-existent (like black blotches). I played about with HDMI Video Range. Setting it to 'Full' makes a massive difference i.e. eliminates blotches but it overly washes out the picture. It's horrid. I turned it back to 'Limited' and now the colours pop but I'm back to black blotches.

My Brightness is usually set to '14' anyway (as per the setting above from RTINGS for A9). I tried Brightness 'Max', which is certainly effective, but too much. I'm very aware of panel longevity so I've increased it to '20' for now. I might turn it up further today and see what it's like long-term with different games.

It's the black blotches that are the biggest issue for me right now.
With it set to limited you have a mismatch hence the black blotches.

You need to have both the TV and console set to the same.

The overly washed out image is the way its meant to look.

I have an a1.

I mostly stick to the defaults. Expert 2 etc.

If you want more pop try dynamic contast set to medium (recommended on avforums for hdr) and maybe mess about with live colour but again you are taking the image further away from what it's meant to be but at the end of the day you should have it set how it looks good to you.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have suggestions for Fallen Order? I keep seeing GIF's of it that look so lush and colorful, but with HDR turned on with default brightness on my TCL 6 series looks so washed out, very reminiscent of Red Dead 2 at launch.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Anyone have suggestions for Fallen Order? I keep seeing GIF's of it that look so lush and colorful, but with HDR turned on with default brightness on my TCL 6 series looks so washed out, very reminiscent of Red Dead 2 at launch.

I've heard people say this. It honestly looks great on my C6 and I'm using default. Not washed out at all. Even turned it up slightly during the day today and it still wasn't washed out.

Weird one.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017

Turn the in-game brightness meter down. And maybe try your dynamic contrast. When you get it right it does pop. Needs a bit of fiddling though.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

I have the same on my Samsung Q9FN. As soon as I get control over Cal it just missed something. Like when I fire up Destiny 2 and I see fire effects and such, that stuff looks superb. I even searched for a "let's play" on YouTube to see if the start really looks like this and then I saw it looked much better, and that was in SDR.

I didn't mess with the HDR setting that you get before the main menu appears in the game though. How can I get that menu back again? (or is that each time you boot the game up?)

Turn the in-game brightness meter down. And maybe try your dynamic contrast. When you get it right it does pop. Needs a bit of fiddling though.

Wait, where are the brightness settings at all for this game? I don't see any of that in the settings>visuals section.

When I fired the game up for the first time on X I got the HDR thingy, left it at default. After that I can't find any (HDR) brightness options.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
The HDR brightness slider appears to simply be a gamma slider, so just adjust it until contrast looks good. It won't affect peak brightness.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
With it set to limited you have a mismatch hence the black blotches.

You need to have both the TV and console set to the same.

The overly washed out image is the way its meant to look.

I have an a1.

I mostly stick to the defaults. Expert 2 etc.

If you want more pop try dynamic contast set to medium (recommended on avforums for hdr) and maybe mess about with live colour but again you are taking the image further away from what it's meant to be but at the end of the day you should have it set how it looks good to you.
Wow, thanks for the advice. Just finished a session on Death Stranding and watching F1 qualifying.

I'll double check my HDMI settings. I'll also see how a washed-out image looks in a cave structure, along with other presets like Live Colour.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I just want to say this in case other folks are in the same boat. I have a misconception about HDR generally. I thought it meant that the image would be bighter and popping at all times. But upon asking folks here and there and testing it with Death Stranding on HDR game mode.. It makes the colors and lighting super realistic. The goal is not to pop and be unnatural. But in fact to be more realistic.

With this in mind, the image is not dim. (i do have dynamic contrast on max tho). In scenes with sunlight and sunshine. The green grass was popping just as i wanted it to. I originally thought the issue was with the colors in the intro but the environment was cloudy and rainy. Colors shouldnt be popping in these conditions. Later on I saw oranges and Yellows and sunlight and red and the pop is there.

With a B7A oled, .. Death Stranding looks amazing in HDR game mode, and I regret ever considering playing it in standard because of the "pop"

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
ItsTonyB

Bare with me here...
...I properly tried 'Full' last night (I did have both console and TV previously set to 'Limited') and I was horrified at the results.

Booting up Death Stranding the black screens (between the Sony Interactive Entertainment and Kojima Productions splashes) looked like a LED presentation. All I saw was a slate in grey, not pure black. It looked backlit. Obviously a bad reaction but I started the game and found my test cave. It didn't look naturally lit at all. Way to bright inside for the conditions.

I tried a couple of options to remedy the presentation. The one that makes the most difference is Black Levels. Default is '50'. I reduced it to about '30' and it looked better, however, it effects the whole presentation no matter where you are, which isn't what I wanted. I just want no black blotches.

I also tried 'Live Colour' but that's not a change I needed i.e. it doesn't enhance what I see.

So now I'm in the position whereby I can either use 'Full' and reduce Black Levels or go 'Limited' and increase Black Levels. Not ideal.

I have no doubt OLED still looks so much better than a normal LED screen but there are compromises. There is a greater contrast between light and dark and some colours are much richer but I'm starting to think these black blotches are down to technology. It's just the way OLED works and I can't remedy the presentation by eliminating those black blotches without consequences for the whole presentation on-screen.

Or, is this something Vincent could remedy with full calibration?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
ItsTonyB

Bare with me here...
...I properly tried 'Full' last night (I did have both console and TV previously set to 'Limited') and I was horrified at the results.

Booting up Death Stranding the black screens (between the Sony Interactive Entertainment and Kojima Productions splashes) looked like a LED presentation. All I saw was a slate in grey, not pure black. It looked backlit. Obviously a bad reaction but I started the game and found my test cave. It didn't look naturally lit at all. Way to bright inside for the conditions.

I tried a couple of options to remedy the presentation. The one that makes the most difference is Black Levels. Default is '50'. I reduced it to about '30' and it looked better, however, it effects the whole presentation no matter where you are, which isn't what I wanted. I just want no black blotches.

I also tried 'Live Colour' but that's not a change I needed i.e. it doesn't enhance what I see.

So now I'm in the position whereby I can either use 'Full' and reduce Black Levels or go 'Limited' and increase Black Levels. Not ideal.

I have no doubt OLED still looks so much better than a normal LED screen but there are compromises. There is a greater contrast between light and dark and some colours are much richer but I'm starting to think these black blotches are down to technology. It's just the way OLED works and I can't remedy the presentation by eliminating those black blotches without consequences for the whole presentation on-screen.

Or, is this something Vincent could remedy with full calibration?
Your TV supports full I set it to that and leave the ps4 on auto.

If you are wanting more punch & clarity in the image try that and dynamic contrast no highest than medium but low will probably be enough.

After changing any of these settings you will need to do the ingame brightness calibration again to get accurate results

Oct 25, 2017
So for the PS4 HDR system level settings, what exactly does "almost invisible" mean?

Like a faint barely perceptible image or the last clear one before it heavily blends into the background?

Oct 25, 2017
You are supposed to use the setting just before it disappears.

I guess my issue is:

There's a setting before it dissappear that's clear, where you can spot the image without much issue.

And there's a setting right before it disappears where it's so faint but still barely visible if you look for it (and sometimes let your eyes adjust).

I doubt it makes much of a difference but it still bugs me.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess my issue is:

There's a setting before it dissappear that's clear, where you can spot the image without much issue.

And there's a setting right before it disappears where it's so faint but still barely visible if you look for it (and sometimes let your eyes adjust).

I doubt it makes much of a difference but it still bugs me.

I think it will depend on lighting conditions too. I declare it 'invisible' when I cant see it with a glance, not if I go looking for it. Feels safer that way. i.e. in your scenario I would set it to the one you mention in your first sentence.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I finished Death Stranding yesterday, and I thought the HDR was very well done. Obviously, I don't have measuring equipment, but to my eyes it looked very good. One of the better HDR game I've seen, I would say.

My display is a Sony X930E, and I played with Brightness at default (5), and with Luminosity at 55 (I think I could have been a bit higher without clipping, but it does gives a slight yellow tint to the picture, so I kept it at 55).

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I played a bit of Horizon on HDR but the the dark parts got a bit too dark at points, when the lighting wasn't in Aloy and climbing snowy mountains the game got quite dark and characters became hard to see in scenes, without jokes ram in to a cut scene with a black character and she was really hard to see because of the dynamic HDR.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So for the ones playing Jedi Fallen Order in HDR, can you tell me if it looks similar to this (brightness wise) or much more dim? It's in the location Zeffo.

On my TV it just looks way too dim, and nowhere near as great as the video, and the video is SDR. That's my beef with HDR so far, it can be great for so many games with the same settings, but not necessarily great or worse actually in another game.

Just fast forward the video a little until you see Cal exploring the world.

EvilBoris Have you by chance tried out SW yet?

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So for the ones playing Jedi Fallen Order in HDR, can you tell me if it looks similar to this (brightness wise) or much more dim? It's in the location Zeffo.

On my TV it just looks way too dim, and nowhere near as great as the video, and the video is SDR. That's my beef with HDR so far, it can be great for so many games with the same settings, but not necessarily great or worse actually in another game.

Just fast forward the video a little until you see Cal exploring the world.

EvilBoris Have you by chance tried out SW yet?

Huuh, this is how it looks on my C8. Didn't you have a Q9? that's weird because that TV is super bright.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I could make a video of how it looks here but the video probably won't capture the HDR properly. Could you share me your TV and HDR ingame settings in a PM?

Ooooops, my bad. Read that as Q8, haha.

I don't know how the QLED works but doesn't it has a Dynamic tone mapping option for HDR? Without it enabled it's true that some games can look dim on my TV.

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
Fallen Order on the PC in HDR on my KS7000 (KS8000 in US terms) looks amazing. Going through pitch black caves illuminating the way with my lilghsaber is a real treat; as is the general look of the game. Really nice.