• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Fallen Order on the PC in HDR on my KS7000 (KS8000 in US terms) looks amazing. Going through pitch black caves illuminating the way with my lilghsaber is a real treat; as is the general look of the game. Really nice.
Absolutely. Despite having only one option to tweak HDR it looks really good. I set brightness to 0.8 and am happy with it (on a Sony XE93).

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
That's how it looks on my C6 with HDR - yet people say HDR is washing the image out. Don't get it. On default mine looks great. No washing out at all.

It's way too bright for me. Just activating it immediately brightens the settings screen and it looks unnatural. Kinda takes away from the atmosphere in what are supposed to be darker caves.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
HDR on Fallen Order does not look good. The brightness level is elevated, and you cant adjust it to look darker without taking the highlights away as well.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Fallen Order with HDR looks nice on my C9. I think the volumetric lighting makes the game look hazy, hence the dimmer look at times.

maenckman

Dec 3, 2018
Like I said I am happy with HDR in Fallen Order, too, but there seem to be controversial opinions about it. EvilBoris , have you had the chance to take a look at it?

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
HDR on Fallen Order does not look good. The brightness level is elevated, and you cant adjust it to look darker without taking the highlights away as well.
Do you have a TCL tv? HDR was bugged until a Roku OS update just 2 days ago. Looked completely over-bright on mine before, now it looks great.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
This is great. Not to derail, but is there a website or something I can go that will help me calibrate my HDR? I think it's enabled but honestly I've had a difficult time telling the difference.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Fallen Order does look really good in 4k HDR. Reminds me of how Horizon Zero Dawn looks, where colors look more natural

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is great. Not to derail, but is there a website or something I can go that will help me calibrate my HDR? I think it's enabled but honestly I've had a difficult time telling the difference.

Check out Rtings for calibration settings specific to your TV. If you have a PS4 use the system settings calibration. Aside from that, check this thread for game specific recommendations if you feel you're not getting the ideal in game settings dialed in. FWIW the bigger titles this year (Death Stranding, Jedi Fallen Order, Modern Warfare etc) have pretty great implementations that don't need fiddling with.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Forgive the tangent: but has there ever been an explanation or rationale for Netflix's HDR on all the time (or "Fake HDR" as I've seen it called)?

I'm fascinated by this. iirc, it occurred a year or two ago. Save for KS8000's built in app, it's HDR all the time on my PS4 Pro, XB1X, and Fire Stick 4K.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Forgive the tangent: but has there ever been an explanation or rationale for Netflix's HDR on all the time (or "Fake HDR" as I've seen it called)?

I'm fascinated by this. iirc, it occurred a year or two ago. Save for KS8000's built in app, it's HDR all the time on my PS4 Pro, XB1X, and Fire Stick 4K.

I bet it is done to avoid handshaking and having the screen flicker/flash while it switches to the correct format. MS/Sony and whoever else needs to take a look at apple and what they are done doing with their ATV. There's a setting in there to match content so it auto switches from SDR to DV or HDR content.

Oct 27, 2017

I think it has more to do with the device it's on rather than Netflix itself. On a Apple TV 4K, netflix only switches over to HDR when the content is actually HDR.

I think I read somewhere it has to do with how much control applications have over the console's output and the ability to switch back and forth.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's great. I think people are getting mist and dust confused with black level problems

It's just an HDMI is thing, switching on and off from HDR is a poor experience in most TV, with screen blanking and whatnot.
That isn't a problem for the built in apps as they can just ping between without a gap

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
MS/Sony and whoever else needs to take a look at apple and what they are done doing with their ATV.
I think it has more to do with the device it's on rather than Netflix itself. On a Apple TV 4K, netflix only switches over to HDR when the content is actually HDR.

I vaguely recall user criticism regarding ATV 4K...perhaps it was an/the always on HDR? If so, that's interesting that they were able to integrate the switching, whereas the consoles (and other devices) have not.

It's just an HDMI is thing, switching on and off from HDR is a poor experience in most TV, with screen blanking and whatnot.

Yup, reminds me early 3D accelerator days. There was a snap and a back screen switch as well. Do you anticipate this HDMI SDR/HDR switching being alleviated in the future? If so, would it be a cable thing, device thing, and/or a TV thing?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I vaguely recall user criticism regarding ATV 4K...perhaps it was an/the always on HDR? If so, that's interesting that they were able to integrate the switching, whereas the consoles (and other devices) have not.

Yup, reminds me early 3D accelerator days. There was a snap and a back screen switch as well. Do you anticipate this HDMI SDR/HDR switching being alleviated in the future? If so, would it be a cable thing, device thing, and/or a TV thing?

It's part of the HDMI 2.1spec- Quick Media switching (QMS) sources devices that use this protocol can switch resolution, refresh rate and between colour spaces and gamma modes without blanking.

So another QOL the next gen consoles and compatible TVs.

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
On my Samsung KS8000, if I turn on HDR in Windows or when a game takes exclusive full screen and switches it on, I have to change to another input and back otherwise the colours are washed out.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Check out Rtings for calibration settings specific to your TV. If you have a PS4 use the system settings calibration. Aside from that, check this thread for game specific recommendations if you feel you're not getting the ideal in game settings dialed in. FWIW the bigger titles this year (Death Stranding, Jedi Fallen Order, Modern Warfare etc) have pretty great implementations that don't need fiddling with.
Thank you, will do.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
I am having this specific problem with just Tetris Effect HDR on a lg oled c7.
I'm on a base PS4 and the HDR seems to fluctuate in contrast, even within the same level. Contrast gets really dim, and sometimes really bright.
It is the only game I have this problem with, I was wandering if anyone experienced something similar?

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I am having this specific problem with just Tetris Effect HDR on a lg oled c7.
I'm on a base PS4 and the HDR seems to fluctuate in contrast, even within the same level. Contrast gets really dim, and sometimes really bright.
It is the only game I have this problem with, I was wandering if anyone experienced something similar?

it might be the brightness limiter picking up very bright values and then dimming.
Perhaps try turning by brightness now (below the default 5)

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
it might be the brightness limiter picking up very bright values and then dimming.
Perhaps try turning by brightness now (below the default 5)
Ok thanks I'll try that. Right now I have indeed put brightness on max in Tetris.
Is there a way to turn of the brightness limiter in the tv? I have not seen such a setting.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So I know that on consoles the FIFA 20 demo's HDR setup is one of the best ways to determine the peak brightness of your display, but the PC version doesn't support HDR, so I'm trying to find the best game to use to test my monitor's capabilities. I gave Hitman 2 a try on another member's recommendation, but the HDR setup in that game seems woefully... limited? It didn't provide enough range to even clip the whites in the test pattern.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So I know that on consoles the FIFA 20 demo's HDR setup is one of the best ways to determine the peak brightness of your display, but the PC version doesn't support HDR, so I'm trying to find the best game to use to test my monitor's capabilities. I gave Hitman 2 a try on another member's recommendation, but the HDR setup in that game seems woefully... limited? It didn't provide enough range to even clip the whites in the test pattern.

I'm not sure what to do with Hitman 2. The first level, or is that the tutorial level, the luxurous cabin on the beach at night. With contrast enhancer off on my Q9FN it's just way too dark, way too dim. When I put it on low its better but kinda defeats the purpose of those nice HDR effects.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I'm not sure what to do with Hitman 2. The first level, or is that the tutorial level, the luxurous cabin on the beach at night. With contrast enhancer off on my Q9FN it's just way too dark, way too dim. When I put it on low its better but kinda defeats the purpose of those nice HDR effects.
It seemed downright broken to me. Both the brightness and "max intensity" sliders didn't go nearly far enough in either direction to make any truly appreciable changes, so I was left with a picture similar to what you described. I wonder if it'd be different in DX12? I only tried it in DX11.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

maybe bump the gamma up in the game, it can be pretty dim at times

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Resident Evil 7 and Battlefield 1 are both gooduns

I think Hitman 2's HDR is broken on PC (or a driver broke it) because I could not get it to work when I tried it a couple of weeks ago. It had been fine in the past

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is old news and probably buried in this thread somewhere but I'm gonna ask anyway. Best HDR settings for Asscreed Odd on a B7 OLED? I have it in default rn with the hdr setting left at 800, just wanna know if I should play with the paper white setting.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I know this is old news and probably buried in this thread somewhere but I'm gonna ask anyway. Best HDR settings for Asscreed Odd on a B7 OLED? I have it in default rn with the hdr setting left at 800, just wanna know if I should play with the paper white setting.

I think you need HDR brightness on 4000 and the paper white maybe 150-200

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, turning down the brightness does not help. Utterly bizar as it is the only game I'm having problems with.

A couple of other things to try make sure you have got RGB range set to Limited on the PS4 The PS4 will output in Full Range RGB HDR, which is not part of the HDR10 standard, so could possibly cause weirdness (also change the TV to "low" to match. Perhaps the TV is seeing big areas of pure black and changing video range?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Just wanted to pop in and say that red dead 2 on pc (DX12) is maybe the most impressive thing I've seen on my C7 in however many years of HDR gaming now.

I'm not sure if it's " fixed" or not, but it looks down right incredible on a very regular basis.

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
For all the PC HDR users, what do you do for screenshots? I take a lot of screenshots in games to remember them better and use them for backgrounds, but the handful of times I've tried to take HDR screenshots, they look terrible. On PS4 they look great--they're not in HDR, but they look how the SDR version should. I'm using a 2080 if that matters.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So for the ones playing Jedi Fallen Order in HDR, can you tell me if it looks similar to this (brightness wise) or much more dim? It's in the location Zeffo.

On my TV it just looks way too dim, and nowhere near as great as the video, and the video is SDR. That's my beef with HDR so far, it can be great for so many games with the same settings, but not necessarily great or worse actually in another game.

Just fast forward the video a little until you see Cal exploring the world.

EvilBoris Have you by chance tried out SW yet?
Don't know if this helps, but this is how Fallen Order looks like for me in HDR (first image) vs SDR with my Samsung KS9000. Only difference between the 2 settings-wise is the backlight is maxed out with HDR, which is the recommended setting with my TV.

https://imgur.com/a/KLV72aO

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Should I have YCC422 enabled on the Xbox one x? Also I've read the gamma levels should be set to 2.0 instead of 2.2. Can someone give me a better clarity on this.

Thanks

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
It's n LG C9 with HGIG enabled I've set In game gamma to 0.7, looks great. Default gamma looked a bit washed out to me.