• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Got Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I can't just do the HDR Calibration on my C8. Supposedly I should make the white rectangle full white but it never goes full white even with cracking up HDR Luminance.

God I hate these HDR calibrations...

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017

They're the best. They're quality 18gbps cables by Monoprice, I swear by them.

Would suggest similarly for the 25/30 foot versions?

iirc, people start hitting HDMI (HDCP?) handshake problems the longer the cable is. While I have had such issues with my PS4 Pro regardless of cable, I did try some off-brand via Amazon and it increased such issues exponentially. To the point where I returned it.

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
Got Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I can't just do the HDR Calibration on my C8. Supposedly I should make the white rectangle full white but it never goes full white even with cracking up HDR Luminance.

God I hate these HDR calibrations...

LGs have dynamic tone mapping. Turn that off then do the calibration. After that, I'd turn it back on.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
it's because the game is locked at 2000nits and your Tv is locked at 4000.

Hopefully they will patch in HGIG for the C8 too

Oh well, I put it in almost max. I swear the first second the area appears it looks whiter and without a logo and then the logo appears, that's why I thought it could be ABL related. Or maybe my eyes are fried lol

I really don't expect LG to put HGIG on the C8, they are terrible in terms of updating older sets with new features.

Dez

Oct 27, 2017
Oh well, I put it in almost max. I swear the first second the area appears it looks whiter and without a logo and then the logo appears, that's why I thought it could be ABL related. Or maybe my eyes are fried lol

I really don't expect LG to put HGIG on the C8, they are terrible in terms of updating older sets with new features.

if that's the case then just set the luminance to max and let dynamic tone mapping do its thing.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Would suggest similarly for the 25/30 foot versions?

iirc, people start hitting HDMI (HDCP?) handshake problems the longer the cable is. While I have had such issues with my PS4 Pro regardless of cable, I did try some off-brand via Amazon and it increased such issues exponentially. To the point where I returned it.
Usually, as long as you're dealing with quality cables and components, I've heard you're good until 50 ft which is when even with quality cables things can get spotty, dunno how true it is tho as I've never actually needed to run cables that long. These Monoprice cables are great cables, so I don't see why they wouldn't be at 25/30 ft too. But I've only used the shorter ones personally.

DJDoubleCream

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody have a LG B8 thats playing Star Wars fallen order on the xbox one x? If so, HDR on or off, what are your in game settings?

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Halo Reach on PC has completely busted HDR. Doesn't even seem like it was implemented honestly.

HDR on Windows continues to be whack

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
I have a question about the HGIG on the DTM, is it only for gaming ? should I put DTM to off for HDR movies and stuff or I could just use the HGIG feature ?

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
The C9 has the HGIG mode and is a relatively dim set in the scheme of things, so you can leave it on 100ish, but do what what feel looks nice

Just bought an lg c9 oled after upgrading from a c7. I game on a xbox one x. My question is should I enable hgig or leave dtm on and should the xbox still be set to ycc422 or uncheck that option.
tia

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just bought an lg c9 oled after upgrading from a c7. I game on a xbox one x. My question is should I enable hgig or leave dtm on and should the xbox still be set to ycc422 or uncheck that option.
tia
HGIG is the superior option to use.

So, as for the 422 option, according to the Easter egg menu on the C9, on PS4 and Xbox if you choose 422 it actually receives an 8bit signal.

So until I've investigated further, I've left it on 420 (unchecked)

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

So, as for the 422 option, according to the Easter egg menu on the C9, on PS4 and Xbox if you choose 422 it actually receives an 8bit signal.

What do you think of HDR in Halo MCC on xbox? I tried the game with hdr off and I think it looks better. 1000 nits / 1.5 paperwhite / 4 contrast is what I'm rolling with on my c8 and that looks kinda good, The default 5 contrast is way too washed out and bright.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What do you think of HDR in Halo MCC on xbox? I tried the game with hdr off and I think it looks better. 1000 nits / 1.5 paperwhite / 4 contrast is what I'm rolling with on my c8 and that looks kinda good, The default 5 contrast is way too washed out and bright.

The game wasn't built for HDR, some of the effects and materials give it away, so it's essentially a 10bit version of the game you've played before. It doesn't look bad for it, so just adjust it to your taste.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019

Ok I did think unchecked looked best as it looked quite blown out when checked

markb1980

Dec 18, 2018

Would this be same for the C7 as in 422 unchecked? So many conflicting reports on this. DOTDASHDOT says having it checked produces 12bit and should be checked?!

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
i have an e9 with an Xbox. So the best setup right now is 422 unchecked and hgig? I have my game hdr mode calibrated though by value electronics.

I believe there is a bug when the C9 receives a true 10-12bit signal it displays it as 8 bit only in the special tech menu. Its only a bug in the menu. It's been discussed in the AVS C9 calibration forum. I highly suggest keeping 4:2:2 selected.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Unfortunately I can't. They used auto-cal by calman and it writes the settings in a table in the tv but you can't go into the picture settings to see all the adjustments. It also adjusts the hdr tone mapping curve based on my sets individual peak brightness.
So your settings are just the standard game settings ie for colour and such or do you change that too. Also when using hgig when I set hdr calibration it now for eg fh4 with dynamic tone mapping on the logo would disappear at 4000 and now with hgig it disappears at 800 is this correct

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
although FuturaBold ssys this is a bug, so you can tick it if you'd like, it should I theory make the image better

If you dig through this thread it goes into detail what's going on in the C9's service menu. Its only a service menu issue.

Problem: The TV is reporting that image has 8bit instead of 10/12bit;
Conditions: -;
Cause: When the TV is getting a 4:2:2 HDR signal it is always reported as 8-bit even though it is receiving 12-bit. This is a technical limitation of HDMI. The only way to verify what bit-depth you are getting is to use test patterns. It's the same reason why Dolby Vision is reported as SDR. Because the TV doesn't actually "know" what it is getting.
Resolve: -;

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If you dig through this thread it goes into detail what's going on in the C9's service menu. Its only a service menu issue.

Problem: The TV is reporting that image has 8bit instead of 10/12bit;
Conditions: -;
Cause: When the TV is getting a 4:2:2 HDR signal it is always reported as 8-bit even though it is receiving 12-bit. This is a technical limitation of HDMI. The only way to verify what bit-depth you are getting is to use test patterns. It's the same reason why Dolby Vision is reported as SDR. Because the TV doesn't actually "know" what it is getting.
Resolve: -;

thanks, I shall retick it later

goaman

Oct 5, 2019
Hello I have a 55c9 can you tell me what HGIG means for game mode with a ps4 pro?
thank you in advance

Last edited:

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
i didn't really understand HDR until this post, thank you. great write up with excellent visualizations.

aaronth07

Nov 27, 2019
So which HDR games actually have WCG support? I find that most games that support HDR don't actually have a WCG, and usually only support 8 bit color.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
So which HDR games actually have WCG support? I find that most games that support HDR don't actually have a WCG, and usually only support 8 bit color.
Most first party Microsoft games support WCG, Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4, etc. HDR games that run on Unreal Engine 4 should support WCG. However,Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't. I'm not sure if Death Standing does Perhaps it was added to Decima engine.
It appears GOW4 does. Also Frostbite powered games don't support WCG however NFS Heat might be the first HDR/WCG. I know BFV and BF2 don't.
Currently WCG support is all over the place.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I'm glad i found this thread, I've only recently got a 55" Samsung Q70 and have been playing with the HDR settings and they look amazing on everything but Destiny 2 (sort of)
I found the best settings for my Tv and went into Destiny 2 and used the in game adjuster sliders and christ what a shit show! it was like being in pitch black in some places, the blast furnace i had as my primary (a black gun) was so dark it was just a blob, loosing all detail. and some bright scenes were like staring into the heart of the sun!
I restored defaults and its great where it is, honestly don't know what those sliders are about because even one notch is a reduction in quality from the 50/50 positions

It also helped loads to make sure all motion settings were off for Game mode and auto brightness, they caused some ghosting on cursors

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad i found this thread, I've only recently got a 55" Samsung Q70 and have been playing with the HDR settings and they look amazing on everything but Destiny 2 (sort of)
I found the best settings for my Tv and went into Destiny 2 and used the in game adjuster sliders and christ what a shit show! it was like being in pitch black in some places, the blast furnace i had as my primary (a black gun) was so dark it was just a blob, loosing all detail. and some bright scenes were like staring into the heart of the sun!
I restored defaults and its great where it is, honestly don't know what those sliders are about because even one notch is a reduction in quality from the 50/50 positions

It also helped loads to make sure all motion settings were off for Game mode and auto brightness, they caused some ghosting on cursors

I believe EvilBoris said something similar for D2. Changing any position on the HDR adjustments for the game messes it up.

Dec 13, 2018
tia
How is the C9 in comparison to C7? Aside from the dim game mode on C7, how would you say it compares with HDR or Dolby Vision content?