• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
The settings give you two sliders: one for the TV peak brightness in nits and one for paper brightness.

I needed to look up my TV peak brightness from here
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

Then I had to fiddle with the paper slider before returning it to the 400 nits default.

Also there is the regular Brightness slider which in other HDR games is useless for HDR but now I had to turn it all the way down to actually lower the brightness.
I feel this whole thing is too technical for basically a brightness slider and other games have dealt with it much better. Those sliders should've been the advanced settings not the default ones.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
It's not that tricky. Adjust the left hand slider until you've got a nice bright sun but still plenty of detail in the sky.

Then adjust the right hand slider for how bright you want things hit by sunlight.

Don't worry about the rtings thing, set it using your eyes.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Left one I went up all the way even though only changed after a few hundred since my TV doesn't support the rest.

I wouldn't touch the white paper or whatever since it just makes every white blaringly blind and I don't know the actual reason for such a setting.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like it, it's probably a total placebo thing but I felt like setting it to my TV's nits made it look perfect.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The settings give you two sliders: one for the TV peak brightness in nits and one for paper brightness.

I needed to look up my TV peak brightness from here
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

Then I had to fiddle with the paper slider before returning it to the 400 nits default.

Also there is the regular Brightness slider which in other HDR games is useless for HDR but now I had to turn it all the way down to actually lower the brightness.
I feel this whole thing is too technical for basically a brightness slider and other games have dealt with it much better. Those sliders should've been the advanced settings not the default ones.
A good indicator is the sky in the scene that is shown to you. I tried a little bit to find my optimum values.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Don't all other HDR games just work without all this fiddling?
Some users find they have to change their TV settings to get a game looking how they want...but then other games are off. Having in-game settings is probably superior (though they have to work right and be clear, which it seems these aren't).

OP
OP
Mezoly

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that tricky. Adjust the left hand slider until you've got a nice bright sun but still plenty of detail in the sky.

Then adjust the right hand slider for how bright you want things hit by sunlight.

I will definitely try that when I get back home.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Also make sure you do the Brightness calibration (not the HDR one, the top of three screen calibration options) first. Get that set correctly and you'll get more out of the HDR calibration.

OP
OP
Mezoly

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Omg I thought it seemed a little dark/drab. My set doesn't auto-change backlight and contrast while it's in game mode... so this entire damn time it's been in HDR with incorrect settings.

lol... damn it.

And for some reason I cannot disable HDR or mess with the HDR settings (they're greyed out) I'm using a PS4Pro and KS8000.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
On my TV I had to turn that thing all the way down to get the emblem barely visible.

Me too. But then when I did the HDR calibration I got more details in the highlights and more dynamic range.

Like any of these things I think they should always be done to personal taste, rather than strictly following numbers.

For example my TV's HDR game mode was changed in a firmware update to retain much more highlight detail. Compared to the regular non-game HDR mode it retains a lot at the high end. So if I set the HDR brightness in game based on the TV's supposed NIT rating I'd get a completely different result depending which of those two TV modes I used. So eyes are best.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for this. Gonna try it out later.

OP
OP
Mezoly

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Omg I thought it seemed a little dark/drab. My set doesn't auto-change backlight and contrast while it's in game mode... so this entire damn time it's been in HDR with incorrect settings.

lol... damn it.

And for some reason I cannot disable HDR or mess with the HDR settings (they're greyed out) I'm using a PS4Pro and KS8000.
I have the same combo and the first thing I did I maxed out the backlight all the way to 20 but then you will have to lower the in game brightness because it will be too bright.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I have the same combo and the first thing I did I maxed out the backlight all the way to 20 but then you will have to lower the in game brightness because it will be too bright.
Yeah, I had to lower it a couple notches. They recommend you also max contrast when viewing HDR content, so did that as well.

Feel like the image is slightly washed out, and I keep getting hints of black crush, but not severe... I think it's mostly due to looking at the game with incorrect settings for 40+ hours. :/

Edit: wait you have the same combo but the HDR sliders in game aren't greyed out for you?

OP
OP
Mezoly

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had to lower it a couple notches. They recommend you also max contrast when viewing HDR content, so did that as well.

Feel like the image is slightly washed out, and I keep getting hints of black crush, but not severe... I think it's mostly due to looking at the game with incorrect settings for 40+ hours. :/

Edit: wait you have the same combo but the HDR sliders in game aren't greyed out for you?

No the sliders are working for me for my Pro and US KS8000. Make sure to reboot the game after patch download to install it, it was version 1.03 that added HDR. I felt the washed out part a little bit too but after a little fiddling it got better. I usually leave my contrast alone to I think 95.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean? DV is "out" for some time now. Consoles don't support it though and on PC there's only one game which does (ME Andromeda) and it's using NVAPI for this since Windows don't have any DV support either.
I mean when TVs with it go mainstream, probably current consoles will support it. We will see how this will compare to HDR10 and HDR10+. We would get our brains melted if we have to choose between both and tweak the settings.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Same I have the x, a Samsung KS8000 and everything else works fine?

It's just greyed out and unclickable, in menus and in game too.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When I updated a few days ago, the HDR image was overbrightening my blacks due to the patch upgrading my save with HDR values that made the image look washed out. When starting a fresh save to see the default values actually was a major improvement and I took over those settings, as increasing the values would destroy the deep blacks of my OLED LG C6.

Default values:
Brightness: 5 (bar is between A & D of ADJUST)
Maximum Luminance: 800
Paper White: 120

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Just an update: I too had to restart my console to get the HDR to work properly. It's weird cause it was clearly in HDR (really obvious from the flames and lights during night gameplay) and the TV was detecting an HDR signal or whatever, but the options were greyed out. Power cycle sorted it though.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
When I updated a few days ago, the HDR image was overbrightening my blacks due to the patch upgrading my save with HDR values that made the image look washed out. When starting a fresh save to see the default values actually was a major improvement and I took over those settings, as increasing the values would destroy the deep blacks of my OLED LG C6.

Default values:
Brightness: 5 (bar is between A & D of ADJUST)
Maximum Luminance: 800
Paper White: 120

Picture just looks too dark to me.....I know it's not supposed to be bright at night, but it just seems wwaaayyyy to dark with your settings on my C7

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any good settings for the ks8000 and PS4 pro?

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
It is hard to calibrate your tv if you don't know what you are doing, not every tv gives an instant great image. I had to fiddle with the tv settings and the hdr option in the game menu.
The game looks so great now and no problems. before i calibrated my tv, i had this washed out image.

OP
OP
Mezoly

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any good settings for the ks8000 and PS4 pro?
In general?
I used this thread: http://www./forum/showthread.php?t=1308315&highlight=ks8000
For AC:O:
I put the in game brightness at lowest.
The First nit slider to 1100.
The paper slider to default at 400.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Wait I'm very confused. I played the game when 1.03 hit back a couple of days, and I just remember the hdr toggle in the game's menu and the default brightness bar. Nothing else. Did they add more HDR settings after?

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Wait I'm very confused. I played the game when 1.03 hit back a couple of days, and I just remember the hdr toggle in the game's menu and the default brightness bar. Nothing else. Did they add more HDR settings after?
They added stuff with the 1.04 patch and ended up generally downgrading the game in most regards.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My KS 8000 defaulted at 1000 nits which is accurate. It also kept the other setting at 400 which i didnt mess with. game looks great with hdr.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Weirdly the default settings of 1000 nits and 400 of the paper white look best despite my x800d only having a peak nit value of 424.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly the default settings of 1000 nits and 400 of the paper white look best despite my x800d only having a peak nit value of 424.

Same-ish for me too! Mine defaulted at 800 nits and 120 paper white. After turning off HDR, adjusting the brightness, and then adjusting the HDR values, my settings ended up looking correct at 900 nits and 300 paper white.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Same-ish for me too! Mine defaulted at 800 nits and 120 paper white. After turning off HDR, adjusting the brightness, and then adjusting the HDR values, my settings ended up looking correct at 900 nits and 300 paper white.
Man that's bizzare. I really like the addition of HDR in games but hope most will continue to just have the turn off/on feature without having to tinker around too much.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that's bizzare. I really like the addition of HDR in games but hope most will continue to just have the turn off/on feature without having to tinker around too much.

I don't know about that! Some games can look not as good as they can with just on/off HDR options. Those games are calibrated for whatever TV the devs are using and as a result, results can be very mixed across a range of TVs.

Ubisoft actually put in the work and went to RTINGS to try and make Origins the best looking on all HDR TVs. They were able to make such a good calibration tool and I will gladly take the time to tinker with settings if it means that my set will be taken advantage of perfectly.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
I don't know about that! Some games can look not as good as they can with just on/off HDR options. Those games are calibrated for whatever TV the devs are using and as a result, results can be very mixed across a range of TVs.

Ubisoft actually put in the work and went to RTINGS to try and make Origins the best looking on all HDR TVs. They were able to make such a good calibration tool and I will gladly take the time to tinker with settings if it means that my set will be taken advantage of perfectly.
That's actually a really good point, not all HDR tv's are created equal and it would really be difficult to create something that looks great on all screens.

I didn't really consider that as I guess I've been spoiled with Uncharted Lost Legacy & Horizon looking good out of the gate with HDR enabled.