• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
This. And on a global scale, the flag is essentially representative of murder and destruction, and basically destroying the middle east.

Fuck your American flag, it's garbage, always was.

Also damn you transparent "both sides" fuckers are coming out of the woodwork in this thread.
...I can't fathom a civil response to this.

Anyway, this event is terrible.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This is why I roll my eye at people applauding violence on one side. You never know who else might be targetted once it is normalised.

Violence was normalized when the president told people at his rallies to beat up protesters, said both sides are to blame after a white supremacist terrorist attack and said he could shoot someone in times square and get away with it.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread surprises me since I never knew antifa had an issue with the American flag in general.

I do think that in general antifa serves a useful purpose in balancing out rightwing nutjobs since right wing extremists are FAR more common. Antifa is basically made out to be "leftwing extremists" by conspiracy theorists who want to act as though both sides are equal in the U.S. when one side are literal neonazis.

It is sad that this happened instead of actual nazis being targeted though, and of course the people who did it should be charged.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Violence was normalized when the president told people at his rallies to beat up protesters, said both sides are to blame after a white supremacist terrorist attack and said he could shoot someone in times square and get away with it.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Violence should never be normalized. Jesus.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say object, I said crack a dude's head open.
Wait, so if it's the action that you don't like, then you just don't understand antifa. Violence against their opponents is their entire MO.

Na. Antifa are historically a non violent organization. The idea that all of a sudden they have become largely violent is an attempt to diminish the events they've been attending and turn the focus onto counter protests.

Issues like this one are obviously bad but by and large that isn't what antifa does.
what? Have you actually read anything about antifa?

An intimate history of Antifa said:

zgKJts1.png

I really cannot see how anyone can argue that these are the actions of a peaceful "non-violent" organization.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm no antifa person and would never attack someone for no reason like that. But I do get negative vibes when I see a random person with something that has an American flag on it, even though im American.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
This thread surprises me since I never knew antifa had an issue with the American flag in general.

I do think that in general antifa serves a useful purpose in balancing out rightwing nutjobs since right wing extremists are FAR more common. Antifa is basically made out to be "leftwing extremists" by conspiracy theorists who want to act as though both sides are equal in the U.S. when one side are literal neonazis.

It is sad that this happened instead of actual nazis being targeted though, and of course the people who did it should be charged.

Same here. They generally don't although I can see recent developments with the Trump administration basically being a fascist administration changing that. But this? What the hell.

Something stinks here. But I don't even give a shit about the asshats in blackblock right now, whether shit for brains out of control antifa or more of that rash of alt righters posing as black bloc.

There's something far more wrong than even that gigantic flashing red light.

The fucking crowd's reaction is unfucking acceptable.

All those people just sat there, and let that dude lie in a puddle of his own blood?

What the fucking hell!!????

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Sucks. And they are idiots who should get arrested.
But it seems the alternative is a huge turnout of empowered racists undeterred w/ specialized police protection. Shit, they pulled some shit on the sly in NYC a few weeks ago and considering the powes that be are enabling it sucks that the only deterrent are a group that some members might be there for the wrong reasons

But maybe the joke is on me and racists parades are an American feature, not a bug. Its probably that.

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That dude was their opponent?
I mean clearly they thought so? I'm not trying to cast any judgement on Paul, but they clearly considered him an opponent by the fact that they chose to attack him.

Look I'm not going to argue that you should attack people who are waving an American flag, just trying to point out that the flag certainly carries quite a lot of negative connotation for a lot people, and it could make people angry. It's understandable if some people see it as a symbol of oppression.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean clearly they thought so? I'm not trying to cast any judgement on Paul, but they clearly considered him an opponent by the fact that they chose to attack him.

Look I'm not going to argue that you should attack people who are waving an American flag, just trying to point out that the flag certainly carries quite a lot of negative connotation for a lot people, and it could make people angry. It's understandable if some people see it as a symbol of oppression.
If he's considered their opponent, then I hope they get destroyed. Fuck Antifa if that's the case.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the biggest fan of the US flag either, but beating a normie over the head because of it is a terrible move. Targeting people with strict black and white absolutism over this particular symbol is gonna keep leading to bad counterproductive encounters. Good well meaning people find the flag worth redeeming or still an embodiment of virtue - not sure I agree, but they certainly aren't the enemy.

Oct 25, 2017
It's really unfortunate they're the only ones that have been taking a hard stand against right wing BS, but hopefully the last few years have been a catalyst for others. We shall see in November.

OP
OP
Airing of Grievances
Oct 30, 2017
Protesting fascism with the American flag is like protesting Trumo with a MAGA had and claiming it's because you want America to be great.

There's something quite ironic about how some of you despise your own country so much that you say things like this while claiming to stand up for immigrants who are willing to risk being separated from their children, and worse, just to have a chance to live here.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
so a counter protester goes down and gets into a fight wit other counter protesters about his flag?

I'm calling bullshit, but who knows. I know some people who would have folded up their flag if asked.
If you can't get that people have issue with America, you are not the ally anyone needs.

Oct 27, 2017
Antifa isn't turning people into fascists. Fascists don't need ammunition.

Unprovoked violence is bad.

Protesting fascism with the American flag is like protesting Trumo with a MAGA had and claiming it's because you want America to be great.
Complete and utter bullshit.

so a counter protester goes down and gets into a fight wit other counter protesters about his flag?

I'm calling bullshit, but who knows. I know some people who would have folded up their flag if asked.
If you can't get that people have issue with America, you are not the ally anyone needs.

Cool, we finally got to the part where it's the victims fault.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
There's something quite ironic about how some of you despise your own country so much that you say things like this while claiming to stand up for immigrants who are willing to risk being separated from their children, and worse, just to have a chance to live here.
yeah because we hate our country since we have issues with it's governance, how it uses patriotism against its citizens, and the track that most of country leadership wants to take. Yea.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, we finally got to the part where it's the victims fault.
I have questions. and certain things don't seem right about the entire deal.

yeah the narrative that some press and pressfans seem to be looking for is "antifa is a threat to normal citizens" and that fits well into D Trump and bullshit. I want to see some video for context, and I want to know how you go down to counter-protest and end up fighting counter-protesters over your own flag.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Whatever more you think there is is likely your own mind filling in blanks on my behalf. That's common in internet exchanges.
That's called analysis. We regularly fill in blanks based on context on a daily basis. It's just a matter of whether the assumptions being made are likely/reasonable.

Since apparently I wasn't clear enough before, saying "it was just an observation" is a blatant cop out. Why bother engaging in a discussion you're not willing to have?

OP
OP
Airing of Grievances
Oct 30, 2017
yeah because we hate our country since we have issues with it's governance, how it uses patriotism against its citizens, and the track that most of country leadership wants to take. Yea.

Except you can protest all of those things while reclaiming the idealistic symbols of the country. You'd rather pessimistically throw it all away and concede it to racists and other nefarious groups. Why else did someone make images like these?

20170202143245-We-the-People_side_by_side.jpg

That's called analysis. We regularly fill in blanks based on context on a daily basis. It's just a matter of whether the assumptions being made are likely/reasonable.

Since apparently I wasn't clear enough before, saying "it was just an observation" is a blatant cop out. Why bother engaging in a discussion you're not willing to have?

And I'm telling you that your analysis was incorrect. It was a valid observation and nothing more. You don't have to go anywhere. This is not love it or leave it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope whoever did that lands jail time. Terrible action. The judgment of that entire group went out the window, just who so they think they are opposing?

I wonder what the efficacy of the black bloc is when it comes to counter protesting. The solidarity of identifying as a member just seems counterproductive when it comes down to the amount of heat you get from the cops invariably defending the racists and fascists.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not pessistically throwing anything away. I'm just realizing the American flag is a symbol for a lot of things to a lot of people, and NOT everyone has a positive association with it.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hope whoever did that lands jail time. Terrible action. The judgment of that entire group went out the window, just who so they think they are opposing?

I wonder what the efficacy of the black bloc is when it comes to counter protesting. The solidarity of identifying as a member just seems counterproductive when it comes down to the amount of heat you get from the cops invariably defending the racists and fascists.
that's the principal tenant of anarchy: chaos

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Is this the new variation of "if you don't like it then leave"?
If seeing the American flag can cause such moral trepidation that members of an organization that is supposed to be non-violent and stands against fascism results in nearly killing a man for holding it...it kind of implies that their focus isn't really trying to better this country.

If it was a "Don't tread on me" flag or what people think was the Confederate Flag, then maybe I could see how some people could react so negatively. Wouldn't agree, but I could see the train of thought. But if the American flag is such a trigger...

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why are they wearing masks?
why are they brandishing the Anarchist colors of Red and Black?
why are they hitting anyone who is pure?

1. Anonymity, makes it harder for them to be doxxed by fascists and easier to escape from police.
2. Because they're primarily anarchists and communists
3. Some people are stupid and into adventurism

OP
OP
Airing of Grievances
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not pessistically throwing anything away. I'm just realizing the American flag is a symbol for a lot of things to a lot of people, and NOT everyone has a positive association with it.

Yet you have no reasonable right to tell someone to put their flag away through intimidation and force, which is what this thread is about.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
And I'm telling you that your analysis was incorrect. It was a valid observation and nothing more. You don't have to go anywhere. This is not love it or leave it.
Lol that's not how it works. "It was just an observation" only gets said by someone who doesn't want to have to own up to the implications of their statement. Don't get me wrong, I can see that you're not going to stop hiding behind it, but you're not fooling anyone.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
If seeing the American flag can cause such moral trepidation that members of an organization that is supposed to be non-violent and stands against fascism results in nearly killing a man for holding it...it kind of implies that their focus isn't really trying to better this country.

If it was a "Don't tread on me" flag or what people think was the Confederate Flag, then maybe I could see how some people could react so negatively. Wouldn't agree, but I could see the train of thought. But if the American flag is such a trigger...
I mean, you don't seriously think that this is as simple as people seeing an American flag and immediately being compelled to bash someone's head in, do you?

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah these people are fucking morons and tools. This type of behavior can be seen coming from a mile away. Shameful, and disgraceful.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Antifa isn't turning people into fascists. Fascists don't need ammunition.

Unprovoked violence is bad.

The American Flag is the literal flag of the country, how is it in any way comparable to a MAGA had[sic] as promoted by Trumo[sic]?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
The American Flag is the literal flag of the country, how is it in any way comparable to a MAGA had[sic] as promoted by Trumo[sic]?

I'd say take a lot at the recent free speech/white rights rallies that have recently happened and compare the attire of the 3%ers/Patriot Prayer/Proud Boy types and the left winged protestors/DSA/Antifa there.

Your answer lies there.

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Peaceful" antifa isn't being patriotic? Say it ain't so!

Maybe realize that there's a world outside the U.S that has suffered a lot more under the Stars and Stripes than any confederate/tea party flag.

OP
OP
Airing of Grievances
Oct 30, 2017
Lol that's not how it works. "It was just an observation" only gets said by someone who doesn't want to have to own up to the implications of their statement. Don't get me wrong, I can see that you're not going to stop hiding behind it, but you're not fooling anyone.

Whatever implications you're picking up on my behalf is a mistake on your part. You do not have to go anywhere. You do not have to make the binary choice of loving it or leaving it.