• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The American Flag is the literal flag of the country, how is it in any way comparable to a MAGA had[sic] as promoted by Trumo[sic]?

From the perspective of the typical Antifa member, the American flag represents capitalist imperialism and a historical legacy of slavery, genocide, and actual support for various fascist dictatorships.

Antifa is not a patriotic group. It's radical leftist. They are not going to care about "reclaiming the flag" or "keeping the right from monopolizing the flag" because a.) they're not liberals and b.) they think it pretty much does represent what the far right wants it to represent.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Antifa was already losing the war for sympathetic optics a while ago, now there's absolutely no coming back from this. This will be rightly shared and spread around like wildfire. Horrible look, and I wager any sympathy left for Antifa will go out in the window with the general American public. That video right there basically will tell you all you need to know about the movement.

We'll probably never even know if some of these guys in the video really were behind what Antifa stood for, but it doesn't really even matter now. The video exists and it looks horrible. That's what happens when you start a movement wearing masks, any opportunist looking to inflict violence, theft, and suffering will be able to slip in undetected to take advantage of anonymity. This was bound to happen eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
"Peaceful" antifa isn't being patriotic? Say it ain't so!

Maybe realize that there's a world outside the U.S that has suffered a lot more under the Stars and Stripes than any confederate/tea party flag.
And benefited from it as well. But I'm not sure why I'm bothering to respond to someone stupid enough to blame the victim and then pass it off as "Oh well I need more info to ensure he didnt actually deserve to get his skull caved in."

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd say take a lot at the recent free speech/white rights rallies that have recently happened and compare the attire of the 3%ers/Patriot Prayer/Proud Boy types and the left winged protestors/DSA/Antifa there.

Your answer lies there.

The left ceding the patriotic high ground to the right was the dumbest thing they ever did. The fact that people can't conceive of waving the American flag to symbolize what America could and should be is ridiculous.

I mean fucking Captain America has provided a blueprint for this tactic for decades.

I mean read The New Colossus and tell me you don't feel like waving a flag in defiance of Trump as a symbol of what America could be at her best (assuming you are American)

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Antifa was already losing the war for sympathetic optics a while ago, now there's absolutely no coming back from this. This will be rightly shared and spread around like wildfire. Horrible look, and any sympathy left for Antifa will go out in the window with the general public.

We'll probably never even know if some of these guys in the video really were behind what Antifa stood for, but it doesn't really even matter now. The video exists and it looks horrible. That's what happens when you start a movement wearing masks, any opportunist looking to inflict violence, theft, and suffering will be able to slip in undetected to take advantage of anonymity. This was bound to happen eventually.

it's almost like there's no fucking entrance exam to enter antifa like its fight club or something\

an asshole beat a guy in the head for holding an american flag, antifa isn't losing an "optics war" when they never entered one

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe realize that there's a world outside the U.S that has suffered a lot more under the Stars and Stripes than any confederate/tea party flag.

Has nothing to do with this thread.
If the topic was about the implications of the American flag to non-U.S. citizens based on current and historical actions of the U.S., maybe I would go down this topic with you. But that's not what this thread is about.

A person in the U.S. attempted to protest fascism and was beaten down by Antifa members because he clutched an American flag.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Indiscriminately punching anybody and everybody seems not like an effective political tool. That's less antifascist, and more anarchism.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
it's almost like there's no fucking entrance exam to enter antifa like its fight club or something\

an asshole beat a guy in the head for holding an american flag, antifa isn't losing an "optics war" when they never entered one
if history is anything to go by. Emulating their Euorpean cousins, Antifa has already lost sympathetic optics.

chaos shouldn't be the weapon of choice to counter fascists

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how would the education department, health department, housing department function without government ?

Anarchists don't want the collapse of civilization or whatever (well, except for anarcho-primitivists), they mostly want local democratic councils without entrenched hierarchical structures or permanent positions.

I don't agree with them about the feasibility of a straight capitalist-to-anarchist transition but they're not crazed monsters out for CHAOS like the media portrays them. Teens may get into it for that sense of exhilaration but otherwise it's a pretty well established political philosophy.

Hackworth

Oct 25, 2017
Antifa was already losing the war for sympathetic optics a while ago, now there's absolutely no coming back from this. This will be rightly shared and spread around like wildfire. Horrible look, and I wager any sympathy left for Antifa will go out in the window with the general American public. That video right there basically will tell you all you need to know about the movement.
I mean the Proud Boys've been beating the shit out of random unfortunates for like two years and people are still giving them charitable interpretations on the US news.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The left ceding the patriotic high ground to the right was the dumbest thing they ever did. The fact that people can't conceive of waving the American flag to symbolize what America could and should be is ridiculous.

I mean fucking Captain America has provided a blueprint for this tactic for decades.

I mean read The New Colossus and tell me you don't feel like waving a flag in defiance of Trump as a symbol of what America could be at her best (assuming you are American)

Antifa are not liberals.

Oct 27, 2017
If the topic was about the implications of the American flag to non-U.S. citizens based on current and historical actions of the U.S., maybe I would go down this topic with you. But that's not what this thread is about.

A person in the U.S. attempted to protest fascism and was beaten down by Antifa members because he clutched an American flag.
It's a case of "the enemy of my enemy is also my enemy". If Antifa is really this stupid, they're doomed in the US, and not many tears will be shed for them.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the far right has people in Antifa doing these things to make them look bad, but I dunno.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We'll probably never even know if some of these guys in the video really were behind what Antifa stood for, but it doesn't really even matter now.
Fucking LOL
It's okay dude. Antifa was never looking for any sympathy in the first place.

And benefited from it as well. But I'm not sure why I'm bothering to respond to someone stupid enough to blame the victim and then pass it off as "Oh well I need more info to ensure he didnt actually deserve to get his skull caved in."
This is a really stupid argument. So nobody can ever protest against their government because they've obviously benefited from it and thus can't say anything.

You were asking why people would be "triggered" by the American flag, I told you why. I'm sure there are some knowledgeable americans out there who also realize that their flag could be considered morally repugnant.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is what happens when fascists use the Flag to justify their actions. Here in Spain our Flag has been a fascist symbol for quite some time. Not just the one from the Franco era, the current Flag too.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

Agreed, and I don't think we will have lost much. I'm largely past the point of concern over how the left is perceived by the right after this election, but Antifa is just too much. And I question the effectiveness even when they aren't doing damage to the image of the left.

I prefer the movement online to out these shit heels

Oct 25, 2017

Funny coming from someone that doesn't realize there is a world outside that has suffered a lot more under communism(the red in the antifa flag) than the Stars and Stripes.

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking LOL
It's okay dude. Antifa was never looking for any sympathy in the first place.

This is a really stupid argument. So nobody can ever protest against their government because they've obviously benefited from it and thus can't say anything.

You were asking why people would be "triggered" by the American flag, I told you why. I'm sure there are some knowledgeable americans out there who also realize that their flag could be considered morally repugnant.
Who said you can't protest it? Unless of course your idea of protesting the flag is to try to kill someone who is merely carrying it while himself protesting white supremicists, in which case you're a fool.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The people who did that to him are assholes that being said some of you guys are as dense as it gets like do you blame an entire school if two students fight? It's a protest and sometimes violence breaks out due to dipshits doesn't mean the entire groups advocates for brutal beat downs.

Love the concern trolls in here too

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
How fucking stupid do you have to be to fuck with an ally displaying the bare minimum representation of the country when you're endgame is presumably making the country a better place.

Oct 27, 2017
The people who did that to him are assholes that being said some of you guys are as dense as it gets like do you blame an entire school if two students fight? It's protest and sometimes violence breaks out due to dipshits doesn't mean the entire groups advocates for brutal beat downs.
Did the good ones rush to the aid of the man who the "bad" ones attacked? Have the good ones issued a rebuke?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The people who did that to him are assholes that being said some of you guys are as dense as it gets like do you blame an entire school if two students fight? It's protest and sometimes violence breaks out due to dipshits doesn't mean the entire groups advocates for brutal beat downs.
Lots of people here, I think most people here, realize that Antifa as a whole is not summarized by these people, or by this act. But that's irrelevant. It is very reasonable to suspect that this will politically hurt antifa, as well as the broader political left by mere association.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny coming from someone that doesn't realize there is a world outside that has suffered a lot more under communism(the red in the antifa flag) than the Stars and Stripes.
Really? The red comes from communism? News to me. I though it was a several hundred years old symbol signifying general left-wing movements, but what the fuck do I know.

Oct 25, 2017
Let's split the difference and say it's pretty equivalent. The US and USSR both committed some insane atrocities.

That we can agree on

Really? The red comes from communism? News to me. I though it was a several hundred years old symbol signifying general left-wing movements, but what the fuck do I know.

The red and black flag comes from anarcho communism, the black representing anarchism and the red communism.

Last edited:

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The American Flag is the literal flag of the country, how is it in any way comparable to a MAGA had[sic] as promoted by Trumo[sic]?
Carrying the flag represents nationalism which is inherently a shit thing due to the fact that all this country has done for Africans,Native,Latino, Asians Americans is set our countries back centuries, war crimes, instilling regimes, slavery, etc.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Carrying the flag represents nationalism which is inherently a shit thing due to the fact that all this country has done for Africans,Native,Latino, Asians Americans is set our countries back centuries, war crimes, instilling regimes, slavery, etc.

What countries are you talking about here?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nationalism is inherently a shit thing because nationalism is always a shit thing. But carrying a flag can also be merely patriotic, which is definitely not a shit thing. He was there protesting for a good cause, attempting to embody the ideals he believes his country should stand for. Don't lay accusations of nationalism at his feet apropos of nothing.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any of y'all who supported this Antifa shit are basically the other crime bosses at the end of The Dark Knight. Be careful who you get in bed with.

Oct 27, 2017
It also represents hope for a whole lot of people. Do you think those people deserve to get their heads beat in for carrying it peacefully? Because that's what happened here. Do you think he deserved it?

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people have lost their minds, giving up the flag like that

jesus

How can you give something up if you don't believe in it in the first place...?

People really seem to have a hard time wrapping their minds around the fact that Antifa are not liberals. They're not interested in patriotism. They're not "pro-America".

It's like being surprised that the Bolsheviks weren't fans of the Russian flag or something. Nationalism is anathema to the far left.