• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm so fucking pumped for this game. Wish they opened preorders already.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Shatter all expectations...

Well, I hope they'll take it seriously then, because...they haven't in quite some time.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Open world Sonic sounds pretty damn cool but I am going to temper my expectations based on their track record.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whether or not they accomplish it, this is definitely the mentality they should have.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
I mean this will be Sonic first Open world game, so it will be a new format for Sonic.

Yes but it will only "lay the foundation" if it's actually good and impressive.

Sonic 06 was supposed to lay the foundation for Sonic in HD but it failed. I don't think this new game will be anywhere near as bad as 06, but it could easily be mediocre or underwhelming.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Adventure laid the ground for even more crappy 3D Sonic games. I have no faith in whatever crap that Sonic Team pushes out anymore.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Getting away from the "Boost" style of games is already enough to get my notice.

Gimme good physics along with whatever sandbox you want Sonic (and pals?) to run and roll around in, and I'll be very much interested.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Sega, you already had that game. It was called Mania and you didn't capitalize on it.
But what if-- now, stay with me here:

We had a Sonic game... with BOOSTS!!

You could BOOST your way from the start of the level to the end of the level!

You wouldn't even have to play the fucking game.

Huh? HUH?? What if we just release like 10 games in a row like that?

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Really bold claim by Iizuka here. I don't remember him ever saying something like this before. I'm confident about this game. I really think Sonic Mania was a wake up call for them in the sense that it made them realize Sonic's potential if they made a good 3d game. People shit on Sonic Team all the time but they do have talented people and given proper time and budget, I think they can make something great. Hopefully, it's the case this time. I think every fan has their wishlist for the series but I think, at the end of the day, most fans would be satisfied if they made a damn good game even if it's completely new.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sega, you already had that game. It was called Mania and you didn't capitalize on it.

I mean, real talk, they've had the chance with Colors, Generations and Mania. Every time they go back to the well and try to reinvent what sonic is from the ground up for LITERALLY NO REASON. It's what Sonic Team does, ignore the good things about their older games, reimagine general concepts from scratch like boost or wisps, and wind up with a brand new game filled with avoidable growing pains. Then they do it again. Over and over. It makes no sense.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
You've got to kinda assume this is their last chance really before RGG Studios gets a go at the hog. Especially considering RGG Studio seem to be running mostly everything else at Sega Japan now.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
This only works if the game is great. And considering Sonic teams recent output, I don't think anyone really has high expectations.

At least I certainty don't.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
surejan.gif

Forgive me for being skeptical, but, given the Sonic Team output of the last 15 years or so, a significant change in the franchise like Sonic Adventure is something I'm not seeing happening. They really need to shake things up besides just "make an open world Sonic game".

g23

Oct 27, 2017
If I were Sega I'd release the next sonic as an open world sp service title ala Genshin Impact.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually glad Mania wasn't the one they chose to do this with. Here's hoping the new game is fun, I'd love a new and interesting direction for the series and I hope they stop nostalgia pandering so hard. Only so many Green Hill Zones I can take.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Why do they try to reinvent this damn series every time lol

If that's what they interpret Mario's success as they are blind

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How much do we know about this game?

I'm reading here that it's open-world. If it's fast and has lots of fun physics-based stuff going on in a big open world, then I might be down for that. I've actually been wanting a big open-world physics-based game where you play as a fast-moving bouncing/rolling ball for a while now. If that's the form Sonic takes, then I'm with it.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Does that mean we are only 5-6 years ago away another sonic 06?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If Sonic Adventure is the target you're aiming for, then I think you've got a problem

Village

Oct 25, 2017
My expectations are low. While not gameplay they are doing weird shit what is or isn't allowed in thier connected media ...and it isn't inspiring confidence. Focusing on the wrong things, I hope the gameplay doesn't reflect this but if their last attempts are any indication. It might just be.

I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Also I hope ya'll understand what made sonic adventure good before using those games as the comparison point. Because oh jeez

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Quite the statement, considering Adventure was a design dead-end that aged horribly and hobbled Sonic games for years until Sonic Team came up with the Colors/Generations formula.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I don't even know what he's talking about. The influence of the Adventure games was basically gone shortly after Unleashed, and that was 2008. I'd be hopeful looking at the 4+ year dev cycle here, but that's about the same amount of time it seemingly took them to make the absolutely dreadful Sonic Forces.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Quite the statement, considering Adventure was a design dead-end that aged horribly and hobbled Sonic games for years until Sonic Team came up with the Colors/Generations formula.
Adventure was cool had potential. and Are fun games to this day.
And the 2nd one in particular never really got expansion on what it did . Which...sucks because you could do a lot with it

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
They already had it with Generations and Mania. Their big problem is that they never retain developer talent, so every few years it's a restart in all senses.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Given what we've heard from leaks, I can see why he's saying that. He's only mentioning Adventure but I would say Unleashed was a similar example of setting the tone for the next several years of Sonic in terms of gameplay. Open world is new ground for Sonic and has the potential to be really interesting, so hopefully they get it right.

Mania didn't lay any groundwork for the future, it was a total throwback in every respect. A good example of what they should keep doing for 2D games, sure, but irrelevant for the big new 3D game he's talking about. I like Classic Sonic as much as the next guy but I dislike the popular sentiment that the series should eternally rehash the Genesis games as its main focus.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I want to believe, but I am not even a fan of the recent games.

Sonic games were a day 1 purchase for me until Adventure 2. That game ruined it for me, but I still really hope a game can bring 3D Sonic to the level of Mario.

I think they just haven't found the perfect idea.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
but Sonic Mania already happened and you failed to do anything with the momentum.

I guess I can watch Sega push Sonic's rotting corpse on stage to dance again.