• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
One good thing that comes out of this, though; it encourages some parents who might not otherwise do so to talk to their children about internet safety and put suitable restrictions in place. So many of my son's friends have unrestricted access to some of the less palatable corners of the internets (*cough*YouTube*cough*) because their parents don't understand the risks.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One good thing that comes out of this, though; it encourages some parents who might not otherwise do so to talk to their children about internet safety and put suitable restrictions in place. So many of my son's friends have unrestricted access to some of the less palatable corners of the internets (*cough*YouTube*cough*) because their parents don't understand the risks.
Spot on, I teach block coding to elementary kids and one lesson is internet safety. I guess this Momo thing will be added to the pile of questions they'll ask me about.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Much more likely they'll demand the government do something and let uniformed representatives take overreaching action.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god this has been revealed as a hoax so we as a society can get back to the real dangers facing us, such as gang initiates murdering people who flash their headlights at them, or killers who pose as clown statues in children's bedrooms and make vaguely menacing calls to the babysitter downstairs.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Now that this has been exposed as a hoax, and we know that they post primarily clickbait articles with misinformation, I ask that comicbook.com be banned from this site.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its almost like all the fake news from 2016 might as well not have happened if people in general are still not looking at their sources for what they're sharing
what to watch for:
  • does the site have any clear agendas? this can be seen in the header of the site or the headlines of other articles.
  • do you know this site as a reputable source? if you don't, google the site and the word "trustworthy"
  • does the article itself have any other links to any other sources?
and im not blaming anyone who shared these articles, but consider looking into what you share before sharing it, because as the response to this story shows, it can actually just be nearly as harmful as what the perceived danger is to share an blatantly false story.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the internet managed combine stupid Boomer hoaxes with Creepypasta. Truly next level stuff.

That being said there are many actual reasons not to let your kids watch these Peppa Pig/Elsa videos.

Nov 1, 2017
AFAICS, this 'Momo' thing seems to be interactive on Whatsapp, so probably has a larger impact. Seems to have spread to my local primary (elementary) school.

The only way it's interactive is if some kids read about it and created a fake account to mess with their classmates. It's well documented to not be real and belongs in the same category as the tide pod challenge and the condom snorting challenge. They're urban legends amplified by overanxious parents and signal boosted by the media.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
The only way it's interactive is if some kids read about it and created a fake account to mess with their classmates... They're urban legends amplified by overanxious parents and signal boosted by the media.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. How else would they get the child's number?

I guess a phone ban in school wouldn't help. Probably just need more education on child Internet safety.

Or just stop reporting on it and let it die.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so shocked how much people have lost their minds over this one. I get that YouTube had some issues lately but the thought that YouTube was waitiing until parents left the room, then playing a video that tried to get children to kill themselves is some crazypants nonsense.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
WdN9z8G.jpg

Sent from my kids school district today.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube Kids has enough creepy / sexual / violent content that it's worth keeping your kids away from it altogether.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Secretary at work yesterday walked in and was gossiping about this, how fucked up it is, telling everyone to warn their children about it. I knew instantly it must be some bullshit hoax when she said she'd heard it on the radio. Even after showing her an article that explained that it's a hoax she's like "well, I'm going to tell my brother to have a talk to his children about this anyway".

But that does beg the question, is shoving it in kid's faces and telling them to avoid these things and report them if they come across anything similar just whipping up an unnecessary moral panic?

Yes.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it. What do we mean "hoax"? I had never heard of this until yesterday because my nephew was telling me about it and that he actually ran into it. (He talked to me about it, calling it the "momo virus") and said he doesn't watch YT on his tablet anymore and that it was saying "bad things" and that he had trouble sleeping the night it happened.