• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I've seen the image on twitter. I didn't realize what it was a reference to. really uncool stuff

OP
OP
PadWarrior

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Read the whole article and still don't fully understand what it is or what I'm watching out for.

You missed this?
This "internet challenge" isn't new but it does have a habit of coming back bigger each time. This time, the Suicide Game is back and invading YouTube content with audio cuts being placed in the middle of Fortnite and Peppa Pig videos. What makes this alarming is that both verticals are extremely populated by kids as the primary viewership, making parents worry about the content their kids are seeing.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay this sounds sinister as fuck if it involves a case of actual suicide, but I can't figure out what the article was actually saying with regards to a suicide game.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
One thing is for sure, I'm not letting my toddler watch Peppa vids on YouTube like I had been before. Will stick to using other services, as I can't trust the YouTube algorithm not to fuck my child's growing mind.

Oh, is the viral post a hoax?

Now I'm wondering if the hoax will actually inspire people to make the supposed videos.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Is the thing even real
someone post an actual link and be unlike every single fucking article/crappy facebook post I've ever seen on this
so far all ive seen is a peppa pig with red eyes screencap and the bug eyed girl

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Read the whole article and still don't fully understand what it is or what I'm watching out for.

It's largely viewed as hoax. But the way it's supposed to work is that you text a number on WhatsApp. Most won't get a response, but some will get a response from whoever is behind the thing. They'll ask them to commit various acts of self harm while filming it for proof and the final act is to live record themselves committing suicide.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If it was real, there should be some YouTube videos still up, because heaven forbid YouTube actually curate its content

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it the suicide instruction clips in kids videos are real, but the 'WhatsApp game' is largely a Hoax? A couple of people may have experienced it but it isn't the large scale real life 'The Ring' it's been made out to be.

Oct 25, 2017
at this point any parent letting their child use youtube without supervision is being willfully ignorant of what they could be exposed to. Just dont.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
One thing is for sure, I'm not letting my toddler watch Peppa vids on YouTube like I had been before. Will stick to using other services, as I can't trust the YouTube algorithm not to fuck my child's growing mind.

Oh, is the viral post a hoax?

Now I'm wondering if the hoax will actually inspire people to make the supposed videos.
you still have to be careful because there are tons of unofficial Peppa Pig videos on YT that feature characters murdering other characters and other things not featured in official Peppa episodes and obviously not suitable for Peppa's intended audience.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ITT: people fall for hoaxes yet again
Tbf the concept of spliced in suicide messages in kids videos on YouTube was something I wouldn't have given the time of day to worry about before this last week. I'm not believing it's some creepypasta shit, just another twisted shit pulling off similar stuff as the videos that were exposed recently.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The "game" may be a hoax, but the fact is that the internet is still full of edgelords who get off on inserting disturbing or malicious content into videos targeted at children. Parents shouldn't be allowing particularly-young children to use the internet without some heavy restrictions honestly, and after all the shit that's already been exposed on YouTube you shouldn't let your kid watch videos unsupervised.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I saw someone post about it on Facebook a few hours ago, and the link was to the Daily Mail and this person regularly posts pro-Duterte fake news stuff from the Philippines, so I brushed it off as being fake. My wife just mentioned it while we were eating dinner though so I just looked it up a few minutes ago. Now I see it here. Seems like it was originally a hoax, but one that gets bigger and more talked about every time it resurfaces. I figure these people splicing this kind of stuff into kids YouTube videos probably had nothing to do with the original stuff but are copycats and trolls who see the hysteria over it and want to get in on it "for the lolz." I'd say what I think of them but that's the kind of attention they crave, I guess.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate joke
I just killed my parents. It's definitely real and can confirm it works.

Gamespawn

Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure its a whatapp thing you add to your contact list and send messages to it and some randoms message you things back. the youtube kids thing was someone inserting suicide instructions into pepa pig and other cartoons for the lolz... shit sucks either way but here we are.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This is a hoax, I trust Snopes. However as a parent I worry about low quality YouTube videos polluting children's minds. The advice to keep young children away from YouTube is sound even though this would be the wrong pretext.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
All the schools in our area have sent out warnings to parents about this. It seems to be really quite horrible.

Appears to be a hoax

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Since we've already established this is a hoax, here's another article from The Guardian talking about how thrashy clickbait reporting like this can actually be legitimately harmful.

But the Samaritans and the NSPCC have dismissed the claims, saying that while there is no evidence that the Momo challenge has initially caused any harm itself, the ensuing media hysteria could now be putting vulnerable people at risk by encouraging them to think of self-harm.

A Samaritans spokesperson was similarly sceptical, saying: "These stories being highly publicised and starting a panic means vulnerable people get to know about it and that creates a risk." They recommended media outlets read their guidelines on reporting suicide and suggested press coverage is "raising the risk of harm".

Suicide, and particularly suicide among children, is a big problem, but it's one that needs to be tackled responsibly. Particularly by the media. Not exploited for profits with complete disregard for the people who are suffering. Like the article and the linked guidelines above say, good, responsible reporting can actually help people, while thrash reporting does the opposite.

As an aside, I'd love to see the media responsibly tackle actual causes of child suicide with such fervor as they did with this story. You know, things like homophobia, racism, bullying, sexual assaults, and mental health. But I guess it's much easier to just blame the problem on some imaginary internet bogyman than to actually try and help people and improve society.

Last edited:

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Gigantic hoax and total failure of journalism in the modern capitalist age.

Read the thread for more details: classic internet click hungry media feedback loop of one poorly sourced story being reported in several "reputable" places and thus becoming real.

The medium is the message : )

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The designer who made that sculpture must be starting to feel like the guy who created Pepe.

Feels bad man.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gigantic hoax and total failure of journalism in the modern capitalist age.

Read the thread for more details: classic internet click hungry media feedback loop of one poorly sourced story being reported in several "reputable" places and thus becoming real.

The medium is the message : )

Yep, it's spreading like wildfire on facebook, lots of concerned posts, you try to present facts that no police force in the UK has reported anyone being hurt by this and are just shouted down.

It's hysteria.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
So yesterday a little 8 year old boy said to my niece "don't you ever talk to her again, if you do I will follow you home, I will take a knife from your kitchen and I will stab and murder you". The school is investigating whether it's anything to do with this but unlikely. Not that he got the secret videos but that the whole thing is an inspiration or something. Kids can be scary.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Yep, it's spreading like wildfire on facebook, lots of concerned posts, you try to present facts that no police force in the UK has reported anyone being hurt by this and are just shouted down.

It's hysteria.
For once the term 'Fake News' might actually be true. Nobody has seen anything other than the original post, and it's just grown like wildfire.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For once the term 'Fake News' might actually be true. Nobody has seen anything other than the original post, and it's just grown like wildfire.

All the schools in our area have sent out warnings to parents about this. It seems to be really quite horrible.

Here kids, have you heard of the momo doll challenge? Oh, you haven't well don't pay attention to it as it's bad mmmkay.

Child on youtube: Momo challenge.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a surprise "this dangerous game/challenge is sweeping the nation and getting popular with kids" is always the same fucking thing