• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tonza

Oct 26, 2017
After the Brainwavz pads were pretty lackluster on the TH-X00, I joined the drop for Dekoni pads that were designed for the TH-X00 line.
I got the cheapest premium protein leather pads with attenuation rings.

Right from the start the comfort is so much better. The pads are actually soft. I first tried with the Dekoni attenuation rings and the sound
was good. Though I did notice change in increased mid bass and a bit recessed mids at 500-1000hz range. The measurements
that Dekoni shows in their blog also show the same changes. The sound is still much better than the Brainwavz round ones.
Then I tried without the attenuation rings and the bass thump disappeared. Crazy how much it actually affects the sound. I am half
curious to try the Brainwavz with the attenuation ring but getting them on was a pain as the opening is a bit smaller than stock pads.

So after that I tried to make a custom attenuation rings from thick paper. And now they seem pretty much perfect.
Im sure I would notice differences if I could hotswap the stock pads but I think the 160gsm paper is actually better for the attenuation
than the plastic Dekoni uses. The mids don't get as much recessed and bass is still present. But I need to test them more.

With the current drop for TR-X00, this might be useful for some. Though take this with a grain of salt as ymmw.

Deleted member 15632

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sennheiser HD800S open backs and the HDV820 Amp are my go-to. Finally saved up enough to grab the amp earlier this year and replaced my Schiit Modi3 that was driving the 800S's adequately but the difference with the HDV820 is crazy.

When not using them I've got a set of Logitech G560 speakers that do an ok job but the headphones are the stars.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are Brainwavz replacement pads supposed to come with clips? I just ordered some replacement pads for my HifiMan 400i, and it's literally just the pads with no way to connect them.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
After the Brainwavz pads were pretty lackluster on the TH-X00, I joined the drop for Dekoni pads that were designed for the TH-X00 line.
I got the cheapest premium protein leather pads with attenuation rings.

Right from the start the comfort is so much better. The pads are actually soft. I first tried with the Dekoni attenuation rings and the sound
was good. Though I did notice change in increased mid bass and a bit recessed mids at 500-1000hz range. The measurements
that Dekoni shows in their blog also show the same changes. The sound is still much better than the Brainwavz round ones.
Then I tried without the attenuation rings and the bass thump disappeared. Crazy how much it actually affects the sound. I am half
curious to try the Brainwavz with the attenuation ring but getting them on was a pain as the opening is a bit smaller than stock pads.

So after that I tried to make a custom attenuation rings from thick paper. And now they seem pretty much perfect.
Im sure I would notice differences if I could hotswap the stock pads but I think the 160gsm paper is actually better for the attenuation
than the plastic Dekoni uses. The mids don't get as much recessed and bass is still present. But I need to test them more.

With the current drop for TR-X00, this might be useful for some. Though take this with a grain of salt as ymmw.
I bought the Dekoni Elite Velour pads when that drop was happening, to experiment with my EMU Teak. Comfort definitely went up (though I have no issue with wearing the stock pads for hours). Truth be told, I wasn't really in the right mind state to compare the SQ differences, though there definitely was a change in the impact of the sub-bass. I really need to put them back on and use them for a while. Problem is I have no idea where I put them.

And yes pad experimentation is a pain in the ass.

So you're using the paper with the Dekoni pads? I may need to try that. Can you tell me exactly what kind you used and how you fashioned the rings?

I'm no audiophile, but I just bought my most expensive pair of headphones to date: Audio-Technica M50x. I've never had around-ear headphones before, so that in itself already feels and sounds totally different.

Anyone know if the bluetooth adapter is any good? Good range, good battery life? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFFH54C/ref=twister_B079SPRD3G
4.5 stars after 5,207 reviews has to mean something. I checked out a video review on Youtube and they seem legit.
Are Brainwavz replacement pads supposed to come with clips? I just ordered some replacement pads for my HifiMan 400i, and it's literally just the pads with no way to connect them.
Is there a ring of clips you can remove from your 400i, to put under the pad of the Brainwavs set? That's how my headphones work at least.

Internet disagrees with your statement
"The internet" always overstates the need for power. I say this as a person who is using $700 worth of amp/dac with an OPPO PM-3 and an EMU Teak, way overkill at the moment.

In Tyll Hertsens review on Inner Fidelity, even he states that the 660S benefits and improves far less with an amp than either the 600 or 650. Sennheiser literally designed the headphone to sound good out of just about anything that isn't a piece of crap.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh shit, was wondering where this thread landed after the old place went down lol

What IEMs would you guys recommend between maybe $199 and $350? No sound sig in particular, I can do neutral, V, U, whatever.

I could always fall back to the Rose Mini2.

Dude. If your budget extends to the $350 range, check out the IMR R-1. https://imracoustics.com

I picked up a set of the B stock (they were practically new in box) for about $290 shipped about a month and a half ago and they've become my new faves. Astonishingly good phones for the price. You get a set of filters that will get you a diverse set of tuning options covering basshead, V, neutral-ish and treble tipped tunings. My favorites are the Orange (which sound very similar to the Mass Drop Plus, but sounds more cohesive, has much better vocal/instrumental timbre, better bass extension, better note weight and appreciably larger sound staging) and the Blue (modded with a criss cross of micropore tape, reminds me of Stax due to the airiness of mids/highs but with Orange's bottom end). They sound best to me with Orange and modded Blue though.

But yeah, these phones are extremely impressive to me and are super versatile. 13 mm beryllium dynamic drivers lend them very tight, bottomless bass and an effortless sound. They're very organic and lean slightly warm to my ears with the Orange filter (very similar to Mass Drop Plus) and more neutral (less rolled off in the highs) with the modded Blue filter. The integration of the ceramic tweeter and dynamic driver sound quite seamless to me. Sound staging is probably the largest I've personally heard, besting phones like UERM and Dita Dream and sounding on par with the Sony Ex series (ex 600/1000), the combo of height/width/depth make them the closest to a full sized replacement I've heard yet.

The sound is also extremely snappy and dynamic for a dynamic driver, better than Dita's Dream and Campfire's Vega. The bass is very deep but there's no mid bass hump with the Orange/Blue filters so coupled with the quick decay, sounds super clean and closer to armature speed but without the dryness/roll off

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Oh shit, was wondering where this thread landed after the old place went down lol

Dude. If your budget extends to the $350 range, check out the IMR R-1. https://imracoustics.com

I picked up a set of the B stock (they were practically new in box) for about $290 shipped about a month and a half ago and they've become my new faves. Astonishingly good phones for the price. You get a set of filters that will get you a diverse set of tuning options covering basshead, V, neutral-ish and treble tipped tunings. My favorites are the Orange (which sound very similar to the Mass Drop Plus, but sounds more cohesive, has much better vocal/instrumental timbre, better bass extension, better note weight and appreciably larger sound staging) and the Blue (modded with a criss cross of micropore tape, reminds me of Stax due to the airiness of mids/highs but with Orange's bottom end). They sound best to me with Orange and modded Blue though.

But yeah, these phones are extremely impressive to me and are super versatile. 13 mm beryllium dynamic drivers lend them very tight, bottomless bass and an effortless sound. They're very organic and lean slightly warm to my ears with the Orange filter (very similar to Mass Drop Plus) and more neutral (less rolled off in the highs) with the modded Blue filter. The integration of the ceramic tweeter and dynamic driver sound quite seamless to me. Sound staging is probably the largest I've personally heard, besting phones like UERM and Dita Dream and sounding on par with the Sony Ex series (ex 600/1000), the combo of height/width/depth make them the closest to a full sized replacement I've heard yet.

The sound is also extremely snappy and dynamic for a dynamic driver, better than Dita's Dream and Campfire's Vega. The bass is very deep but there's no mid bass hump with the Orange/Blue filters so coupled with the quick decay, sounds super clean and closer to armature speed but without the dryness/roll off
First off, good to see you found us. Second, that looks like a really interesting IEM. It's different, which intrigues me.

You got it for $290 USD? I'd probably jump on it for anything around $350.The website is showing £500.00 though, which is what, close to $700 USD?

Oct 26, 2017
First off, good to see you found us. Second, that looks like a really interesting IEM. It's different, which intrigues me.

You got it for $290 USD? I'd probably jump on it for anything around $350.The website is showing £500.00 though, which is what, close to $700 USD?

Yeah, I got it mostly cause of the very unique set up (beryllium x ceramic tweeter) and cause Pinkypowers from the headphone list compared it quite favorably against technical giants like the Tia Forte and Empire Ears Legend X. I've pretty much heard or owned every type of phone there is, from BA, hybrid, dynamic, planar, stats and various types of dynamics including titanium, graphene, diamond, etc. but I've never heard this particular configuration of drivers before. I think hybrids in general tend to sound disjointed due to the attempt to mesh BAs (which tend to sound thinner/quicker/ and have treble distortion or roll off) and dynamics (which tend to sound thicker/have slower decay).

There aren't too many hybrids that sound cohesive across the entire FR band, so I've gravitated mostly towards dynamics in the last few years, mainly modifying cheapo titanium and graphene sets with varying degrees of success. I've found that most dynamic sets I've heard tend to sound "smaller" and less effortless than the old Sony Ex drivers due to the driver size (most drivers are between 5 to 10 mm max). The 13 mm drivers in the IMR R1 sound noticeably "bigger" and more effortless to my ears (reminding me of the 15 mm drivers in the Sony Ex 600/1000 series but without their treble harshness and with snappier and amazingly textured bass), and the ceramic driver definitely aids in the treble extension without any sort of harshness/thinness in treble (with orange there's no harshness, with the modded blue it's less forgiving with recordings but I've heard worse)

Yeah you have to look for the B-stock on the listing. The cheapest ones run for like 225 GBP, which is $301. Shipping is an extra $10-20 I think. Took about a week to arrive for me in the states.

Oh, lastly, they sound amazing just thru the iPhone with a dongle. I have the ifi XDSD which is very nice as a blutooth source, and it tightens up the bass appreciably, but they sound incredibly satisfying just through an iPhone IME

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
There are but it's really difficult to make them fit. Maybe I got the wrong size
I found this video:

Yeah, I got it mostly cause of the very unique set up (beryllium x ceramic tweeter) and cause Pinkypowers from the headphone list compared it quite favorably against technical giants like the Tia Forte and Empire Ears Legend X. I've pretty much heard or owned every type of phone there is, from BA, hybrid, dynamic, planar, stats and various types of dynamics including titanium, graphene, diamond, etc. but I've never heard this particular configuration of drivers before. I think hybrids in general tend to sound disjointed due to the attempt to mesh BAs (which tend to sound thinner/quicker/ and have treble distortion or roll off) and dynamics (which tend to sound thicker/have slower decay).

There aren't too many hybrids that sound cohesive across the entire FR band, so I've gravitated mostly towards dynamics in the last few years, mainly modifying cheapo titanium and graphene sets with varying degrees of success. I've found that most dynamic sets I've heard tend to sound "smaller" and less effortless than the old Sony Ex drivers due to the driver size (most drivers are between 5 to 10 mm max). The 13 mm drivers in the IMR R1 sound noticeably "bigger" and more effortless to my ears (reminding me of the 15 mm drivers in the Sony Ex 600/1000 series but without their treble harshness and with snappier and amazingly textured bass), and the ceramic driver definitely aids in the treble extension without any sort of harshness/thinness in treble (with orange there's no harshness, with the modded blue it's less forgiving with recordings but I've heard worse)

Yeah you have to look for the B-stock on the listing. The cheapest ones run for like 225 GBP, which is $301. Shipping is an extra $10-20 I think. Took about a week to arrive for me in the states.

Oh, lastly, they sound amazing just thru the iPhone with a dongle. I have the ifi XDSD which is very nice as a blutooth source, and it tightens up the bass appreciably, but they sound incredibly satisfying just through an iPhone IME
Yeah I passed on the MD+ because of the rolled off highs, that's something I can't stand in IEMs.

I did indeed find the B stock listing. Which exactly did you go with, as far as the grades?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure to be honest. I actually ordered them when they didn't have the B-stock grades on the site about a month and a half ago. I simply emailed them and asked if they had any B-stocks left and they directed me to a link. They weren't actually graded then. My set was priced at the 225 GBP level and was pretty much in new condition. The only thing was the box was a little dented in on the corners. That aside, all the accessories were present and the phones were in pretty much mint condition. I've read a few accounts on HeadFi from those who bought B-stocks and most people seem to just note packaging blemishes or maybe a tiny chip in the finish or maybe one of the dials is a little harder to turn than the other. Nothing crazy.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm not sure to be honest. I actually ordered them when they didn't have the B-stock grades on the site about a month and a half ago. I simply emailed them and asked if they had any B-stocks left and they directed me to a link. They weren't actually graded then. My set was priced at the 225 GBP level and was pretty much in new condition. The only thing was the box was a little dented in on the corners. That aside, all the accessories were present and the phones were in pretty much mint condition. I've read a few accounts on HeadFi from those who bought B-stocks and most people seem to just note packaging blemishes or maybe a tiny chip in the finish or maybe one of the dials is a little harder to turn than the other. Nothing crazy.
Have you found a decent cables that have a mic for phone use?

Oct 26, 2017
Have you found a decent cables that have a mic for phone use?

I bought a Plusound Echo+ cable w/mic off of the HF FS section for like $80 so there are sometimes some super good deals there. There aren't too many places that will sell a decent cable with a mic option for cheap. Only one I can think of that's affordable ($50 - 100 depending on cable option) is Null Audio.

https://www.null-audio.com/collections/iem-headphone-cable

64 ears sells a 2 pin cable with a mic too, but it's the same cheapo Plastics-One cable that comes with literally every Westone/Earsonics/64 Ears phone that looks like crap and they still charge a hefty $50 so you may as well go with Null Audio.

If you do go with the IMR R1 tho, and want an aftermarket cable, make sure you purchase a cable that has a straight 2 pin connector like these:

IMG_4659a.jpg
and not an angled one like this:

2-pin-0-78mm-angled-cm-pins.jpg

The R1's cable slot is mounted horizontally for some weird reason so angled connectors will stick out like frankenstein bolts and will make the cable impossible to wear.

Tonza

Oct 26, 2017
So you're using the paper with the Dekoni pads? I may need to try that. Can you tell me exactly what kind you used and how you fashioned the rings?

It's this that I had lying around: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Card-White-160gsm-250-Sheets/dp/B00IO210Q4
(At some point I bought a stack of that thinking it was normal paper... its much thicker so haven't used it)

I basically traced the dekoni plastic ring from the card/paper. I might try to get even stiffer paper /cardboard at some point.
I didn't test the actual dekoni ring again though so going off memory when comparing the materials.
Here's a link for a printout if you don't have the rings themselves: http://i.imgur.com/YewBylA.jpg

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I got my K601 back from the repair service. It has a brand new cable and sounds like it did before I sent it in. Now to just be careful and put it away after use so the cats don't eat it again.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I'm new to this club.

I bought the WH1000MX2 a few months back and they're amazing.
I never though noise cancelling was something I'd be interested in, but I've been flying out for long hours recently and it's a godsend being able to totally pass out without the jet engine sound.

Oct 28, 2017
I want to spend something like 1000€ for the headphone and the AMP/DAC
And I want an optical input so I can use it with my PS4 Pro

I have this on my radar. I was thinking about buying it for my 30th birthday later this month ^^

Sorry for the late response but the RME ADI-2 DAC is a very nice option if you've got the disposable income.

Its got a super powerful headphone output, super quiet IEM output for sensitive IEMs, has just about every feature known to man from parametric EQ to crossfeed and its possibly the quietest DAC I've ever used. Its the only one that produces zero crackles or pops when my GPU is under load.

Can you stand speakers on top of a dac/amp? They aren't heavy but just wondering if it will cause issues.

I wouldn't do it, its just not a terribly stable surface since speakers vibrate.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15632

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[QUOTE="I wouldn't do it, its just not a terribly stable surface since speakers vibrate.[/QUOTE]

Cool thanks. Figured out easier to plug my speakers directly into the HDV820 and have RCA connector from that straight into my PC soundcard.

That way speakers + headset if needed! Win.

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile im here with motherboard as dac + O2 amp and have perfectly silent setup, no hiss, crackles or anything.

Your mileage may vary evidently. I've had the same problem with Mayflower's implementation of the O2 amp and DAC many years ago. The RME ADI-2 has been the only device that's absolutely silent no matter how loud I turn the knob or how sensitive my headphones are.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

The only downside is the cable felt flimsy. But I'm not worried about that much since it's extremely cheap.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I recently bought a Sennheiser HD650, Topping D30 and an Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp from Massdrop. I don't think it can get much better than that.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I need some new headphones and I feel really lost right now because I can no longer trust the model I'm familiar with. I've had a pair of AKG K271mkii for so many years and they were the best I've ever had, but they're just about ready to give up at this point. I've tried 2 new replacement pairs and they both somehow manage to sound worse, particularly in the low end. I try playing some sine wave tones in the lower registers and they clearly don't even sound like sine waves, more like triangles/soft squares struggling to come through the speakers. My worn, rickety 6+ year old pair manages to outperform them in bass clarity which is insane.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to upgrade my phone and unfortunately I have to find good bluetooth headphones because the 3.5 jack is gone..
What I'm currently using is so far Shure SE215 & Sennheiser HD598cs.
Can you guys recommend some good BT headphones that won't make my wallet cry? Preferably with active NC and good satisfying bass (I would buy the wh1000xm2 if it was more affordable :( )

Rolfgang

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Does anyone have experience with the AKG K702? They have an impedance of 62 Ohm, but I keep hearing they are hard to drive. On paper a simple DAC/AMP like the E10K should drive them with ease, but can anyone confirm?

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have experience with the AKG K702? They have an impedance of 62 Ohm, but I keep hearing they are hard to drive. On paper a simple DAC/AMP like the E10K should drive them with ease, but can anyone confirm?
I don't have E10K, but I used to drive K702 straight out of Dragonfly Red. E10K should be fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the Sennheiser 37x on Massdrop so I can have an actual headset for use on PS4.

Course, haven't been playing anything recently anyway... :V

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to upgrade my phone and unfortunately I have to find good bluetooth headphones because the 3.5 jack is gone..
What I'm currently using is so far Shure SE215 & Sennheiser HD598cs.
Can you guys recommend some good BT headphones that won't make my wallet cry? Preferably with active NC and good satisfying bass (I would buy the wh1000xm2 if it was more affordable :( )
Just use a dongle, both Pixel and iPhone dongles are actually well regarded.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I guess you never really know how much you like something until they are gone. Headphone-agers might remember my begrudging adoption of my Oppo PM-3s and HA-2. Misfortune struck last week, I was watching the Apple keynote on a flight, and since I didn't quite finish by landing, I kept my headphones on and didn't pack them like I always do. With the result that I forgot my HA-2SE and the PM-3 case onboard.

As always, the cleaning crew found "nothing" left onboard, so it was time to find replacements for the case and the DAC. Curiously, my email to Oppo about the case went unanswered, although previously they have been very responsive. And online, it's almost like HA-2SE never existed.

I eventually found out that the whole headphones and DAC product line has been killed dead recently

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...i-fi-audio-disc-player-oppo-digital-shut-down

And now I am really sad. Although I thought I didn't love them, I can't think of a better sounding, slicker looking pair of travel headphones and DAC. Nothing out there comes close. They have great synergy. I have no idea where to go once these wear out - in about two years. Oppo isn't around then to refurb them, like they did already once.

I managed to quickly grab a preowned HA-2 on eBay, but am still missing that beautiful Oppo headphone case. If anybody has any pointers where to buy one, the travel me could be made whole again.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I guess you never really know how much you like something until they are gone. Headphone-agers might remember my begrudging adoption of my Oppo PM-3s and HA-2. Misfortune struck last week, I was watching the Apple keynote on a flight, and since I didn't quite finish by landing, I kept my headphones on and didn't pack them like I always do. With the result that I forgot my HA-2SE and the PM-3 case onboard.

As always, the cleaning crew found "nothing" left onboard, so it was time to find replacements for the case and the DAC. Curiously, my email to Oppo about the case went unanswered, although previously they have been very responsive. And online, it's almost like HA-2SE never existed.

I eventually found out that the whole headphones and DAC product line has been killed dead recently

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...i-fi-audio-disc-player-oppo-digital-shut-down

And now I am really sad. Although I thought I didn't love them, I can't think of a better sounding, slicker looking pair of travel headphones and DAC. Nothing out there comes close. They have great synergy. I have no idea where to go once these wear out - in about two years. Oppo isn't around then to refurb them, like they did already once.

I managed to quickly grab a preowned HA-2 on eBay, but am still missing that beautiful Oppo headphone case. If anybody has any pointers where to buy one, the travel me could be made whole again.
No promises, but if I can locate my PM-3 travel case, I will absolutely send it to you.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
No promises, but if I can locate my PM-3 travel case, I will absolutely send it to you.

That's incredibly kind! I am definitely happy to Paypal or send a game store code (I'm in UK) if you find the case. I'll be offline for the next week diving, so I should have heard back from Oppo by then, if they still have someone working.

Oct 28, 2017
Just out of curiosity, how many different pairs of headphones do most of you own, and how do you determine which ones you're going to use, and when?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just out of curiosity, how many different pairs of headphones do most of you own, and how do you determine which ones you're going to use, and when?

AKG K601
AKG K271 Mk 2
Audio Technica AD900
Koss PortaPro
Meelectronic M6 (earphones)
JVC HA-S500
JVC HA-FXD 80 (earphones)

I usually use the K601 for most things; music, PC games, Netflix. The AD900 is mostly for gaming, and K271 is for female vocals and/or acoustic stuff. Earphones I use when traveling, same with the HA-S500, though I use them as much anymore. M6 is when I go running. I recently got the PortapPo, and just use them when around the home, doing laundry or washing dishes.