• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
So I currently own a pair of HD6XX's, paired with an Objective2 + ODAC, and this is what I use for everything: music, gaming, movies, and videos. I've been extremely pleased with the HD6XX's as an all-rounder pair of headphones, but I do want something slightly punchier and bassier, specifically for games or movie watching, and perhaps something that's easier to drive so I can use it with consoles as well. Any recommendations?
TH-X00/TR-X00 or E-MU Teak.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
The Philips Fidelio X2 has quite a bit more bass, is open back as well and really easy to drive. There's also the Meze 99 Neo, bit that one is closed back and an excellent portable choice as well. I don't know any other phones in that price range that have more bass AND are easy to run.

There are a lot of options on the subject of bassy headphones, but you need to invest in an AMP that you can connect to your PS4 through USB. If you can power them there are the DT770/880/990, AKG K712, Fostex T50RP MKIII and Hifiman HE-400S that will provide more bass and are roughly in the same price range.

TH-X00/TR-X00 or E-MU Teak.
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at these. Cheers~

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hey guys,
I used to have the Audio Technica ATH M50x which I loved but then I got my hands on the Beoplay H6 (and ultimately the H6 2nd gen). I loved those even more! I love the sound they produce.
They're mostly driven via an android phone (Pixel 2 XL) and due to convenience (and the remote not working on an android) I swapped them for the Beoplay H4.

But I never grew to like the H4 anywhere near as much as the H6. It sounds alright, but never as good as the H6.
So I've been thinking about getting back to the H6. Or is there maybe anything wireless that sounds as good as those?

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
So I currently own a pair of HD6XX's, paired with an Objective2 + ODAC, and this is what I use for everything: music, gaming, movies, and videos. I've been extremely pleased with the HD6XX's as an all-rounder pair of headphones, but I do want something slightly punchier and bassier, specifically for games or movie watching, and perhaps something that's easier to drive so I can use it with consoles as well. Any recommendations?
HD6XX was already pretty warm IMO

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't necessarily know or have experience with all of these headphones but this list is a pretty nice reference. https://www.reddit.com/comments/66x9c0

I happen to use one of the headphones on the list for my gaming but unfortunately they aren't easy to drive so I can't recommend them for consoles (The Fostex T50RP Mk3).

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys,
I used to have the Audio Technica ATH M50x which I loved but then I got my hands on the Beoplay H6 (and ultimately the H6 2nd gen). I loved those even more! I love the sound they produce.
They're mostly driven via an android phone (Pixel 2 XL) and due to convenience (and the remote not working on an android) I swapped them for the Beoplay H4.

But I never grew to like the H4 anywhere near as much as the H6. It sounds alright, but never as good as the H6.
So I've been thinking about getting back to the H6. Or is there maybe anything wireless that sounds as good as those?

There is a Sony wireless headphone that made some splashes with some highly regarded audiophiles.

I haven't listened to them yet, but I was so surprised by how well regarded they are that I tried ordering the successor. Now, that model on the video is discontinued but the successor which, by most accounts, seems to be better has come out. That model is the Sony WH-H900N (it has an extra letter that designates its color "B" for black, "L" for blue, "N" for champagne, "R" for red) also known as the h.ear on 2 (Sony why do you insist on naming your products so weirdly?).

If you happen to live in Europe, Amazon France had a pretty sweet deal on them and I was able to order the black model a couple of days ago for around 170 euros new which is close to what they usually go for used on Amazon Warehouse. I can't attest to their quality yet because I haven't received mine, but I trust Currawong's (the author of the Youtube video above) opinion enough to give them a recommendation because he is experienced with extremely expensive and high-end gear and had no reservations about recommending them to people multiple times.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus! I just go the Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Edition headphones and I started listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack. Its so awesome! Never had headphones THIS good before! Realy good resolution and the base is very good too :o

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are there more stylish headphones than the Sony MDR1am2?

dstfqofvaaajz83_1.jpg

I have the older model, the MDR-1a, I just love its minimalist look

Rolfgang

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Jesus! I just go the Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Edition headphones and I started listening to the Tron Legacy soundtrack. Its so awesome! Never had headphones THIS good before! Realy good resolution and the base is very good too :o

How is the treble for you? I'm struggling with myself to find the right open back headphone, coming from the M50X (which I slowly started to hate). I keep bouncing between the DT990 Pro (120 euros), the K712 Pro (200 euros) and Fidelio X2 (200 euros).

I'm looking for a good soundstage and impressive sound, but with the DT990 I fear for too much treble, with the X2 for an overpowering bass and bad QA (I'm always unlucky with QA) and with the K712 for a lackluster bass. And I've got no place locally to test them any of them out. I might just order two of them and keep the one I like the most.

Are there more stylish headphones than the Sony MDR1am2?

dstfqofvaaajz83_1.jpg

I have the older model, the MDR-1a, I just love its minimalist look

The Meze 99 Classic and Neo are stylish and sexy as hell.

Last edited:

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
How is the treble for you? I'm struggling with myself to find the right open back headphone, coming from the M50X (which I slowly started to hate). I keep bouncing between the DT990 Pro (120 euros), the K712 Pro (200 euros) and Fidelio X2 (200 euros).

I'm looking for a good soundstage and impressive sound, but with the DT990 I fear for too much treble, with the X2 for an overpowering bass and bad QA (I'm always unlucky with QA) and with the K712 for a lackluster bass. And I've got no place locally to test them any of them out. I might just order two of them and keep the one I like the most.
K712 is definitely not a bass cannon like m50x but it's got really nice and fast bass a bit more treble too and really really good soundstage (though a bit tall) and imaging. If you're worrier about 990 treble just go with 880, it's the most balanced sound-wise of the 3 beyers and the 600ohm version is the original that spawned the entire line.

Mt. Wilson

Jan 31, 2018
I've been loving the Nuraphones, one week in. Truly unlike any pair of headphones that I have previously worn, and I'm definitely a believer in the otoacoustic emission EQing.

Nuraphone-Angled-Shot-SOURCE-Nura.jpg

Last edited:

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Looking at this thread for the first time as I'm in the market and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'll keep reading and researching the OP, but here's what I'm looking for in a nutshell:

----Portable headphones
----Drowns out noise easily on a noisy plane so I can hear my crap
---Can be used universally on Switch, at home, phone, anywhere
----Can be wireless (not sure how this would work with a Switch as I imagine they all require Bluetooth but headphone jack adapter works as well.
----Not more than $150

Anything particular model stick out to the veterans here that fit my criteria?

Edit: It seems like getting ones that are wireless and under $150 is basically impossible, lol. I had no idea headphones we're so expensive. Guess I'll try to find $150 or less wired. Thinking about just going Beats Solo 2 unless I find a cheaper one with just as good of reviews. I'd like a solution to use for on the go + at home with video game consoles but I'm thinking that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at this thread for the first time as I'm in the market and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'll keep reading and researching the OP, but here's what I'm looking for in a nutshell:

----Portable headphones
----Drowns out noise easily on a noisy plane so I can hear my crap
---Can be used universally on Switch, at home, phone, anywhere
----Can be wireless (not sure how this would work with a Switch as I imagine they all require Bluetooth but headphone jack adapter works as well.
----Not more than $150

Anything particular model stick out to the veterans here that fit my criteria?
Sennheiser HD 25 maybe?

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Sennheiser HD 25 maybe?

Ah, I just did a stealth edited haha. Sorry! I'll look into these, thanks!

I'm now looking at Beats 3 at Apple.com. What have I done to myself? If these pair nicely with Android wirelessly as well as anything else, I might strongly consider. Ugh.

How are Beats for noise cancellation?

Edit: I think I may be looking for closed ear, actually. Lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I just did a stealth edited haha. Sorry! I'll look into these, thanks!

I'm now looking at Beats 3 at Apple.com. What have I done to myself? If these pair nicely with Android wirelessly as well as anything else, I might strongly consider. Ugh.

How are Beats for noise cancellation?

Edit: I think I may be looking for closed ear, actually. Lol.
In Ear Monitors are going to give you the best isolation however not everyone finds them to be comfortable. Sennheiser HD 25 are closed on-ear headphones, not too dissimilar to the Solo 2's however they isolate much better. They are also a bit less comfortable overall so I'd take that into consideration. Solo 2's don't isolate sound all too well even though they are also closed.

Beyerdynamic DT1350 are similar to the HD25 in terms of isolation and portability, but offer a flatter sound.
Master and Dynamic MH30 are tuned more similar to the Beats but also isolate a little better; however, supposedly some of the ones Amazon sells are knockoffs. For flights I think you might have to either buy IEMs or Active Noise Canceling headphones because of the loud constant ambient noise will leak through almost all of these headphones.

Last edited:

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anyone ever try the Kef M400? http://us.kef.com/m400

This thing usually goes for like $300 here in Canada, but I can get it for $75- since that sort of discount seems crazy, i'm going for either this or the Audio Technica ATH-M30x which I can get for $70. I'm trying to keep the budget at $75 tops (it was like 60 originally so this really is my limit). I mainly intend to use it for gaming/watching movies here at home on my PC/PS4/Switch (all of which are connected to my monitor at my desk).

Keep in mind I am by no means an audiophile, so I have no idea if the heavily discounted M400 is even good as I am just looking at how much of a discount it is compared to the original price to gauge its quality.

Last edited:

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Was wondering if there's a good recommendation for headphones on the switch? The ones I have are incompatible surprisingly, and I have a newborn so the wife doesn't want any sound when I'm playing at night.

I have large ears so a lot tend to feel uncomfortable, and I use earbuds when it's not docked but I'd like something when I'm playing it on the tv. My current headphones are wired and I use a usb extender to get it to my chair.

I'm not picky, just want something relatively inexpensive that would hopefully fit comfortably over large ears. Any suggestions?

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I've been loving the Nuraphones, one week in. Truly unlike any pair of headphones that I have previously worn, and I'm definitely a believer in the otoacoustic emission EQing.

Nuraphone-Angled-Shot-SOURCE-Nura.jpg

Had mines for about 2/3 months now and I love them.

The sound quality is something else and any time I go back to my sennheiser they sound hollow in comparison, like something is missing.

There is a few drawbacks as in the cable falls out easy using them wired, and having it connected to multiple devices can sometimes be awkward.

I already discussed them on here before and no one seemed interested in them at all even though some folk are shelling out over a grand. I really think a lot of people would be very surprised with the sound quality.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
^My setup is on the first page which includes the Nuraphones. Met the CEO/CTO at CES earlier this year too. It has interface limitations, but considering it is fairly unique, well worth some of its drawbacks. Looks like a big update was just pushed too which adds ANC, external hearing, and BT switching

I got them early so I didn't pay full MSRP. But in a few words (assuming you can not test them first), they are worth the sticker price IMO.

Last edited:

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
^My setup is on the first page which includes the Nuraphones. Met the CEO/CTO at CES earlier this year too. It has interface limitations, but considering it is fairly unique, well worth some of its drawbacks.

I got them early so I didn't pay full MSRP. But in a few words (assuming you can not test them first), they are worth the sticker price IMO.

I remember you talked to me about them before when I first got them.

Still love them, it's no gimmick.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a message from Fedex that my E-MU Teaks were sent from Singapore and should be here on Tuesday. Hype

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Monolith m1060's are open box for $179

Haven't picked up a set of Planar's in a while, worth it for $180?

Last edited:

toku

沢山特別
Oct 25, 2017
Ne Monde
what are the hot options for a $100 range closed back can these days?
I was looking at the AKG k52 and k92

senni 280pro is another one im looking at

Last edited:

Deleted member 15632

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whats the lowdown of Beyerdynamic T1's? I have a spot of spare cash so thinking i'll grab a nice set and their price isnt **too** crazy.

Oct 28, 2017
They're bad value. Its in the same price bracket as headphones like the Sennheiser HD800, second hand Hifiman HE-6, Audeze LCD-2C and so forth.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, which is its main problem. I'd argue that both versions of the Beyerdynamic T1 are worse than all of the commonly recommended flagship headphones based on pure objective data. They're only decent value if its priced closer to a mid-fi product.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
What are the best earbuds that are similar in style to the airport that work for a android phone that cost around $100.

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
I can confirm that these are very good.
After about three days of testing, yup. They are very good. That said, I simultaneously restored the comfort of my old DT 880's with new factory pads (the phones might well be 15yo - bought them used a long time ago, and at least 2 pairs of pads have been worn out on them). It's shocking how close they get in sound quality vs the 1990, while being lighter and thus slightly more comfortable. To me it sounds better than the classic Senns as well while being substantially cheaper. If the DT 880 was available with a detachable 3.5mm cable, it would be perfect, I doubt I'd have even gotten the 1990s.

Dangle

Oct 25, 2017
Think I've reached the point after a few years with my audio-technica AD700X headphones that I want to start looking for a replacement. I'm generally fine with the weight and sound, but I'm looking for open ear headphones that don't generate as much heat in the ears as they do. I primarily use these headphones for playing games and I'm not too particular about sound quality. I just really want something that sounds and feels similarly as these but can let me play comfortably with them on for longer than a hour. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Did a little googling and saw the AKG701's recommended as well as these Philips SHP9500S headphones but I'm way less familiar with that brand's headphone reputation.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
My TR-X00 Purplehearts were supposed to shipout in September. I just got an email that they got to the wearhouse early and are going to ship this week. I can't wait. The other pair is a used HE-400s which I got for $150. Amazing deal and it got me into head phones. Can't wait to compare them

Rolfgang

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I finally ordered a K712 Pro (arriving tomorrow) and a Massdrop O2 amplifier (arriving hopefully this week) as an upgrade to my ATH-M50X. Really looking forward to it, can't wait to play some classical music and first person games with that supposedly sweet soundstage.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I'd ask this here too..

I'm looking to switch from closed-back to open-backed, from my 598C's to another model. This is used mostly for PC gaming, running through a GSX 1000 amp. VSS will be used while gaming.

What are the pros and cons of going for the 579 instead of the 598SR?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
so, i have been using a Superlux 681 for a long time(4-5 years) and love them. got recommended a AKG K240, and they arrived earlier today. i wouldn't say they are bad...not at all, but it's like some things sound...stuffier. if i were to exemplify, it's like on the superlux, the vocals feel more pronounced, while on the K240, it feels more uniformed with the rest of the instrumentals. is this just me not being used to them; is there something i could do?
any help is welcome. if it helps, i don't have a DAC/AMP.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
so, i have been using a Superlux 681 for a long time(4-5 years) and love them. got recommended a AKG K240, and they arrived earlier today. i wouldn't say they are bad...not at all, but it's like some things sound...stuffier. if i were to exemplify, it's like on the superlux, the vocals feel more pronounced, while on the K240, it feels more uniformed with the rest of the instrumentals. is this just me not being used to them; is there something i could do?
any help is welcome. if it helps, i don't have a DAC/AMP.
Definitely give it some time for your brain to re-calibrate. Use them for at least a couple days exclusively and then try going back to 681.