• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
I have an almost 10 year old Sennheiser HD 595 that I want to upgrade, and I'm looking at going to the HD 600 or 650. From what I've read the difference seems to be that the 650 has more bass and 600 is more neutral. Anyone have any opinions on either of these?

Would I need an amp for one of these? The 595s sound fine directly plugging into my laptop or an MP3 player or whatever.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I have an almost 10 year old Sennheiser HD 595 that I want to upgrade, and I'm looking at going to the HD 600 or 650. From what I've read the difference seems to be that the 650 has more bass and 600 is more neutral. Anyone have any opinions on either of these?

Would I need an amp for one of these? The 595s sound fine directly plugging into my laptop or an MP3 player or whatever.
These are 300ohms cans, you absolutely need an amp.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, the impedence of the 595 is 50 ohms and then the 600 and 650 are 300 ohms. Is that considered a big jump?

Oct 28, 2017
Its overblown. The main problem with the HD600 being paired with low voltage headphone amps like those from your mobile phone or laptop is that it just doesn't get very loud before it starts clipping. Your mileage may vary as some people like to listen loud while others don't.

Good amps are dirt cheap if you ever want one. JDS Atom is only $99.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Buy regular closed headphones if sound quality is that much of a priority, the very nature of how ANC works isn't very conducive to great sound quality
I've tried over ear, on ear, pretty much everything (can't tolerate canal phones). I'm on the subway hours a day, I need something to combat that. I'm looking for solid-to-good audio quality with ANC. I know I have to compromise in that space but there has to be something better than that Bose sound profile.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried over ear, on ear, pretty much everything (can't tolerate canal phones). I'm on the subway hours a day, I need something to combat that. I'm looking for solid-to-good audio quality with ANC. I know I have to compromise in that space but there has to be something better than that Bose sound profile.

Bose QC35 II?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
(Check the previous page, Hobbes)
:)

Costly is fine, I'm gonna give 'em a shot. I wish Sennheiser was better with the ANC, honestly. I'm somewhat curious about the B&W PXs but I've only really seen mixed things.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Well the p7 are great headphones so maybe those are worth a shot too. Seems like the Sony are much wamer, when I heard them I thought they sounded about as good as the Beats Solo 2 (not a diss) and it seems like the Bowers are more neutral sounding and less bass emphasized.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I could use some advice. I accidently broke the left hinge of my audio technica ATH-MSR7GMs a few days back (gutted). Luckily I'm still within my warranty so amazon are issuing me with a £150 refund.

I thought about ordering another pair, as I do really like the headphones, but I'm quite disappointed on how easy the hinge broke, so I'm also considering buying a new pair altogether.

If anyone could recommend a nice pair of closed back, over the ear cans, in the region of £150-£200 I'd really appreciate it.
Something with crisp sound, but also durable.

I listen to a broad range of music, but mainly hip hop.

unAimed

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use HD598sr headphones with a Soundblaster z for gaming at the moment (in virtual surround mode via the sbx pro studio).
The sound is a bit to "metallic" (for the lack of a better word) for me. I'm thinking of getting a dt990 or dt1990.
Is this a good idea in terms of sound quality upgrade? Will I be able to tell a difference? (Use case is strictly gaming)

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I could use some advice. I accidently broke the left hinge of my audio technica ATH-MSR7GMs a few days back (gutted). Luckily I'm still within my warranty so amazon are issuing me with a £150 refund.

I thought about ordering another pair, as I do really like the headphones, but I'm quite disappointed on how easy the hinge broke, so I'm also considering buying a new pair altogether.

If anyone could recommend a nice pair of closed back, over the ear cans, in the region of £150-£200 I'd really appreciate it.
Something with crisp sound, but also durable.

I listen to a broad range of music, but mainly hip hop.
I'd suggest looking into the NAD Viso HP50, Sony MDR-1A, or Meze Classic

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well the p7 are great headphones so maybe those are worth a shot too. Seems like the Sony are much wamer, when I heard them I thought they sounded about as good as the Beats Solo 2 (not a diss) and it seems like the Bowers are more neutral sounding and less bass emphasized.
Thanks Des. I like a little bass!
I like mine pretty good.

No I was laughing because he tried those already and didn't like them.

The WH-1000XM3s are great. Miles beyond the flat Bose's.
Sold. Wonder if I can find any deals today.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for an upgrade to the Fidelio X2's I've had since late 2015 and not looking to spend much more than $200. Any suggestions that are similar?

This would mean an open-back used largely for gaming with a V-Moda mouthpiece.

Last edited:

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for an upgrade to the Fidelio X2's I've had since late 2015 and not looking to spend much more than $200. Any suggestions that are similar?

This would mean an open-back used largely for gaming with a V-Moda mouthpiece.
Finding anything that would still let you use the mic will be problematic. Finding a definite upgrade with that budget won't be easy either so my suggestion would be to just stick with X2.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Finding anything that would still let you use the mic will be problematic. Finding a definite upgrade with that budget won't be easy either so my suggestion would be to just stick with X2.

Aw man. The pads are starting to pull back in one of the sides (and they aren't replaceable). Any throwaway suggestion for a slight upgrade in general then? Even if I don't gun for it, I'd like to at least have an idea of the budget I would need. Or at least look out for a future sale price.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
So you want another open headphone that is also compatible with the v-moda mic? That's going to be tough

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
So you want another open headphone that is also compatible with the v-moda mic? That's going to be tough

Damn, I didn't think it was so uncommon (in a cheaper price range anyhow). lol. Well, this sets my expectations back to reality then. I appreciate the responses. I guess I'll stick with them and get another X2 if it wears down much further.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I didn't think it was so uncommon (in a cheaper price range anyhow). lol. Well, this sets my expectations back to reality then. I appreciate the responses. I guess I'll stick with them and get another X2 if it wears down much further.
Yeah, headphones generally don't use a single 3.5mm jack. It's either mini-xlr, dual mono jacks or something more proprietary.
Ideally I'd say look for K712 but they're more expensive in the States it seems + you'd need an external mic. K612 is a cheaper option but no detachable cable and could be harder to drive just off integrated sound chip. Other options would be Sennheiser HD579/598/599, good imaging but not nearly as much bass as X2 so you might miss it at first. Sennheiser also makes gaming headsets based on some of those, no idea how they're priced though.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused because I thought the pads were replaceable on the X2, as that was one of the big changes from the X1 which I have.

I believe the Philips SPH9500 would work.

Last edited:

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, headphones generally don't use a single 3.5mm jack. It's either mini-xlr, dual mono jacks or something more proprietary.
Ideally I'd say look for K712 but they're more expensive in the States it seems + you'd need an external mic. K612 is a cheaper option but no detachable cable and could be harder to drive just off integrated sound chip. Other options would be Sennheiser HD579/598/599, good imaging but not nearly as much bass as X2 so you might miss it at first. Sennheiser also makes gaming headsets based on some of those, no idea how they're priced though.

Thanks for the help! I'll check out a few of the options though I'm feeling it might be best to stick with the X2's now (for the time being).

I'm confused because I thought the pads were replaceable on the X2, as that was one of the big changes from the X1 which I have.

I believe the Philips SPH9500 would work.

I also had X1s before, so I think you're right and I just got them mixed up. Perhaps I'll look into pads replacement then. I hope it's easy to find Original Manufacturer Pads.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Wassup! I'm looking for recommendations on the best closed, over-ear headphones (portable or otherwise) available for $100 or less. Also, given that price range, would I even need an amp? If it would still be good to have an amp for cans that inexpensive, I'd love some amp recommendations as well. Thanks!

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help! I'll check out a few of the options though I'm feeling it might be best to stick with the X2's now (for the time being).

I also had X1s before, so I think you're right and I just got them mixed up. Perhaps I'll look into pads replacement then. I hope it's easy to find Original Manufacturer Pads.
HM5 replacement pads fit but you have to stretch them a bit

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Wassup! I'm looking for recommendations on the best closed, over-ear headphones (portable or otherwise) available for $100 or less. Also, given that price range, would I even need an amp? If it would still be good to have an amp for cans that inexpensive, I'd love some amp recommendations as well. Thanks!
Takstar Pro 82 should sound pretty good without the need of an amp.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Creative Aurvana Live, no amp necessary.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about those, yeah those are great too. I'd say they sound better than the Takstar if you like some warmth, but they don't isolate as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Last edited:

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Ideally I'd say look for K712 but they're more expensive in the States it seems + you'd need an external mic. K612 is a cheaper option but no detachable cable and could be harder to drive just off integrated sound chip.
What about the Massdrop AKG 7xx? And you can always go for an Antlion ModMic v4 or v5. The two together are around $250 to $275. As the Antlion does not permanently attach (except for a small magnet), this mic can be used on any headphones you may buy in the future.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Question about foobar2000. Anyone able to get the Windows 10 white to completely go away? I have it about 90% there with a Monokai theme, but i have a few really annoying white bars that I just can't get to go away.
ZRErt15.png

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
LMFAO

The Sony 1000XM3 are your best bet but they're costly, and there's no better option to really try after that within the ANC realm.

Do the Sony's offer multi pair? I want some noise canceling headphones and have my old Bose QC35s away. Comfort and multi pair support are pretty important, any recommendations on that?

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Can anyone give me the build quality of the Sony wireless headphones that are really good? I'm content with the cheaper wireless over ear headphones, but they break on me in less than a year because I use them all day long and wear them on my neck.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Can anyone give me the build quality of the Sony wireless headphones that are really good? I'm content with the cheaper wireless over ear headphones, but they break on me in less than a year because I use them all day long and wear them on my neck.
I was run over by a car, had the XM3's launch from my head, and skid over the pavement and they are working fine, despite a few scratches here and there. I would say I am pleased with the build quality.

The mark 1 1000Xs are just fine after two years of daily use as well. fwiw.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I was run over by a car, had the XM3's launch from my head, and skid over the pavement and they are working fine, despite a few scratches here and there. I would say I am pleased with the build quality.

The mark 1 1000Xs are just fine after two years of daily use as well. fwiw.

Thanks, that was the only thing I was worried about. I figured the ones I get break more is because they're like $40 or something. I can't afford them atm, but hoping I can convince a birthday present for a pair lol.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Hey, y'all, I created a thread but was told to come here about questions with earphones/buds. Basically, I was told to look for in-ear earphones, but which ones? I'm willing to pay upwards to $200 for a good to great pair of wireless buds, so which would you folks suggest?

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, y'all, I created a thread but was told to come here about questions with earphones/buds. Basically, I was told to look for in-ear earphones, but which ones? I'm willing to pay upwards to $200 for a good to great pair of wireless buds, so which would you folks suggest?
As far as I know when it comes to sound quality you're better off getting decent IEMs and a wireless cable for them instead of just buying wireless IEMs. I'd recommend Vsonic GR07 but unfortunately I don't know the first thing about wireless cables. Hopefully others can offer more insight.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AirPods may not be the best sound (it's perfectly fine, to be frank) but for stability and convience they're hard to beat. It really depends on what your use cases are with in-ears.

If you want to block out as much sound as possible you'd be looking at ones with passive or active noise cancelling tech and a good seal, if you're using them mostly in an office where hearing people around you is important then it's back to something like the AirPods.

unAimed

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use HD598sr headphones with a Soundblaster z for gaming at the moment (in virtual surround mode via the sbx pro studio).
The sound is a bit to "metallic" (for the lack of a better word) for me. I'm thinking of getting a dt990 or dt1990.
Is this a good idea in terms of sound quality upgrade? Will I be able to tell a difference? (Use case is strictly gaming)
So i pulled the trigger on the 1990s. Great sound, really clear an bass not to heavy. Sadly they are way to uncomfortable. The pressure on my head is to strong and I don't like the way they touch my ears. Makes longer sessions (30m+) not viable.
And that's why I'm sending them back.

Looking at HD660, HD700 or AKG712 now...

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
So i pulled the trigger on the 1990s. Great sound, really clear an bass not to heavy. Sadly they are way to uncomfortable. The pressure on my head is to strong and I don't like the way they touch my ears. Makes longer sessions (30m+) not viable.
And that's why I'm sending them back.

Looking at HD660, HD700 or AKG712 now...
1) Beyer's Pro models have harder clamp force than the non-Pros. The 1990 is only available as a Pro model, but you could go for Amiron Home, DT880 Edition or DT990 Edition. The last two are also noticeably lighter than the 1990s. To me the DT880s are still the gold standard of comfort, and sound clarity is very close to 1990s, bass goes deep but isn't quite as meaty.
2) You can lessen the clamp by stretching the metal headband overnight on a large box or other object.