• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Headphones Era lOTl Even Through The Distortion We Remain Lossless

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know why people buy their stuff.
I mean to be fair their low end stuff is fairly good. Magni 3 was the best "cheap" amp for a while until the atom came out. The Modi 3 is regarded as one of the best "cheap" dacs, similar if not better than the topping D30(even by audiosciencereview which hasn't had biggest love of them).

Oct 27, 2017
The high-end Schitt stuff measures worse than their low-end gear besides power. I don't even know why people buy their stuff. Get the JDS Labs Atom. For $100 you get the cleanest single-ended amp under maybe $500.
I'm sort of new to higher-end headphones and amps, and have googled this a bit, but would I see any benefit to getting an amp for either my Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee or Audio Technica MSR7NC headphones? From what I read, the MSR7NC wouldn't benefit due to the (fairly poor) noise cancelling already in the headphones.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean to be fair their low end stuff is fairly good. Magni 3 was the best "cheap" amp for a while until the atom came out. The Modi 3 is regarded as one of the best "cheap" dacs, similar if not better than the topping D30(even by audiosciencereview which hasn't had biggest love of them).
Ok I may have been too harsh, but I really dislike their employees' attitude and their Apple-like hush-hush approach to correcting design flaws.
I'm sort of new to higher-end headphones and amps, and have googled this a bit, but would I see any benefit to getting an amp for either my Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee or Audio Technica MSR7NC headphones? From what I read, the MSR7NC wouldn't benefit due to the (fairly poor) noise cancelling already in the headphones.
Not if your device can already drive the 58X to reasonably loud volume without turning it all the way up.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I may have been too harsh, but I really dislike their employees' attitude and their Apple-like hush-hush approach to correcting design flaws.
True, at least they did seem to listen with the Modi though.
Anyone ever switched their headphone earpads/cushions with a 3rd party replacement? Is it true the velour pads are more 'breathable'/cooler?
I swapped my Sony WH1000XM2 earpads for some suede dekoni ones at the start of the year. They were definitely more comfy and were a bit cooler than the default pleather ones that they had.

Velour does tend to be more breathable too.

That said, something you have to take into account is that the sound can change when using different earpads, especially when swapping from something more enclosed like leather to velour which lets sound through more. Consequently you're best off getting some impressions from others who have done the specific swap you're looking at and how it affected the sound.

Oct 25, 2017
True, at least they did seem to listen with the Modi though.

I swapped my Sony WH1000XM2 earpads for some suede dekoni ones at the start of the year. They were definitely more comfy and were a bit cooler than the default pleather ones that they had.

Velour does tend to be more breathable too.

That said, something you have to take into account is that the sound can change when using different earpads, especially when swapping from something more enclosed like leather to velour which lets sound through more. Consequently you're best off getting some impressions from others who have done the specific swap you're looking at and how it affected the sound.
thanks for the info.

Currently looking at something for my QC35s. Ears tend to get a little warm.

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the info.

Currently looking at something for my QC35s. Ears tend to get a little warm.
In that case I'm not sure I'd recommend velour. It'd affect the noise cancelling on those.

I guess it might be worth waiting to see if Dekoni do the Suede pads for those as well. They do affect the noise cancelling very slightly on my XM2's but it wasn't much and the comfort improvement far outweighs it imo.

Nov 21, 2017
Hi everyone. I just preorded masdrop 6xx's. I'd like to use them to game on my pc, but don't know what dac/amp to get. I was looking at the Sennheiser GSX 1000s, but it looks like the amp isnt enough so now I'm leaning towards the soundblaster x g6. Are they any good? Would a regular dac/amp + dolby atmos for headphones work?