Headphones Era lOTl Even Through The Distortion We Remain Lossless

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Android and I had the same stable experience with the XM2.

If you're in an apartment block with everyone using their own routers it can cause congestion as Bluetooth uses the 2.4ghz band like many routers use for wifi.

That all said, I don't think that should be enough to cause issues with you right next to the device with the phone set to prioritize signal.

As the other poster said I'd try with another device if you can. Otherwise you could also try forcing a different codec on Android to see if it changes anything. To do that while your headphones are connected you need to go into the developer options(usually you have to go to the build number and tap it 7 times for the developer options to show up on your phone), and scroll all the way down to where it says bluetooth audio codec, click on it to get a selection list of the ones that are supported by your phone. The XM3 support SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD and LDAC so make sure you only try those. LDAC and aptX HD are the higher quality codecs but require more bandwidth so they're more likely to cause cut outs.

Failing that all you can do is talk to Sony about it, the bluetooth chip could be faulty.
Thanks much! A ton of settings to try but if it can help with the cutting out I'll do it! Cheers

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Recently got an ifi Nano Black and dusted off the collection and have been trying to give myself dedicated listening sessions.

Got my Fostex THX00s, Hifiman HE400, and HD650 in a regular rotation, but leaning more on the first 2. Closed vs open, some bass slam vs less slam but super deep sub bass reach. Gun to my head I think the Fostex would be my favorite all arounder, despite generally enjoying open cans more.

Sounds good, man.

ifi Nano Bl supports balanced cables. Wonder if it’s worth looking/investing into.

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
Recently got an ifi Nano Black and dusted off the collection and have been trying to give myself dedicated listening sessions.

Got my Fostex THX00s, Hifiman HE400, and HD650 in a regular rotation, but leaning more on the first 2. Closed vs open, some bass slam vs less slam but super deep sub bass reach. Gun to my head I think the Fostex would be my favorite all arounder, despite generally enjoying open cans more.

Sounds good, man.

ifi Nano Bl supports balanced cables. Wonder if it’s worth looking/investing into.
When I first got my Thx00 I was a little bit underwhelmed by the amount of bass. To that point I've only owned cheap headphones, was used to boomy bass and was under the impression that my wife's cars bose speaker were amazing. Now after owning them for roughly a year, I can't go back to "cheap" headphones and I had to turn down the bass in my wife's car to the lowest setting because it just didn't sound good anymore. The Fostex spoiled my ears for life.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
They’re a great balance of accuracy with character/fun/v shape. Once your ears know the difference between bass quantity and quality, it is, as you said, hard to go back and hear muddy, boomy bass, even if it can shake your brain.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
They’re a great balance of accuracy with character/fun/v shape. Once your ears know the difference between bass quantity and quality, it is, as you said, hard to go back and hear muddy, boomy bass, even if it can shake your brain.
Honestly this is why I can’t recommend Sony WH-1000XM3 after auditioning them. It’s too liberal with the bass.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this is why I can’t recommend Sony WH-1000XM3 after auditioning them. It’s too liberal with the bass.
I heard that they boosted the bass in the XM3 from the XM2 and I'm really not sure why. XM2 isn't really light on it in the first place.

Gun to my head I think the Fostex would be my favorite all arounder, despite generally enjoying open cans more.
I got the TR-X00 earlier in the year and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it since I also generally prefer more open headphones.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Ordered the HD 6XX, I'm supposed to receive them in 1 to 2 weeks. Should I consider ordering an amp/dac in the mean time or will an Aorus z390 Pro Motherboard drive it well enough?

I'm mainly buying the headphones for comfort reasons than audio reasons.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Well my OP3T had stability prioritized over quality already but, I tried the other bluetooth settings and it's been the same with my XM3s. I think it's my phone at this point, I can have the headphones on, wiggle my phone that I'm holding at my side, and the damn connection will cut out. Hasn't happened as often with my laptop so 🤷‍♀️

need more testing but this suuuckss

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
Just picked up a pair of ER3XR’s. Amazon warehouse had them for $121. I don’t think these are faked?

Edit: these are the backup for when the Rockets finally croak. Fender can’t repair them but after running them loud on my dragonfly the right channel started working again.

Last edited:

Shugga

Oct 25, 2017
Hello people
After too many issues with jack cables (changed a phone because the port was fucked and my cable wouldn't stay in, now the current one has the same issue, then I had two cables die on my MDR-1A and I can't even find a good replacement lmao), I decided it's time to switch to BT.
So I'm looking for good closed back BT headphones, in the 150-300€ range. Would rather avoid Bose. Noise cancelling isn't really necessary.

Currently looking at sony wh1000xm3 since I've been using their headphones for over 10 years now (two XBs then the MDR 1A) and I really like their sound.

I'm in France if that matters at all (rather avoid phones that are exclusive to the US I guess)

edit: welp, went for it !

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Senior Editor at Gaming LYF
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just received a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3s at the weekend from a deal here in the UK. Great audio quality but after about 30-60 mins of use I started noticing a white noise / distant waterfall kind of sound in the right earcup only. The volume of said sound varies, sometimes becoming louder, and only occurs when ANC is turned on. It's noticeable when nothing is playing but remains present with audio playing and therefore noticeable in quieter moments.

Makes noise cancellation pointless if it's going to CREATE noise. Looking to get a replacement but I'm concerned how common the issue might be. Seen quite a lot of discussion online about it, often related to the latest 4.1.1 update however even after attempting to downgrade to 2.0.0 the issue still remains, so evidently it isn't tied to the newer firmware.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
any one have any recommendations for a cheap 15 dollars and under usb dac for a laptop?
i got a free laptop that is alot faster than my old laptop but it came with beats audio so headphones are unbearable. i've disabled all the effects in the registry but even then it sounds really sterile and tin can like and my ears hurt after a while even at low volumes because of how harsh it sounds. it also has alot of noise when nothing is played. i dont need anything amazing i just need something decent so i can use this laptop. my thinkpad sounds perfect in comparison but that thing has been overheating lately.

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
any one have any recommendations for a cheap 15 dollars and under usb dac for a laptop?
i got a free laptop that is alot faster than my old laptop but it came with beats audio so headphones are unbearable. i've disabled all the effects in the registry but even then it sounds really sterile and tin can like and my ears hurt after a while even at low volumes because of how harsh it sounds. it also has alot of noise when nothing is played. i dont need anything amazing i just need something decent so i can use this laptop. my thinkpad sounds perfect in comparison but that thing has been overheating lately.
You aren’t really going to find much new at that price. $40 is the lowest new for a USB DAC amp for headphones in stick format. You might want to look at eBay for a used Soundblaster Live USB or one of the m-audio/presonus 2 channel studio boxes. Maybe a Dragonfly Black. My Mac audio board died so I ended up picking up a Dragonfly black but that was $100.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Here's something in your price range, though I have no clue as to its quality:
Sound Blaster Play! 3 External USB Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and Play (No Drivers Required). Upgrade to 24-bit 96khz Playback https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBZ38ZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UnlkDbDJTGYZ0.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I normally don't mess with amps/standalone DACs too much, instead sticking with lower end enthusiast headphones like the SR60i or the M50 for my audiophile gear. But my work PC has been driving me nuts with how noisy the headphone jack is, so I got a Fiio E10K. I've been missing out for years cripes. It really feels like get a new set of cans, discovering all these previously hidden details in music, feeling such a wider range. Had no idea these made such a difference.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, just ordered some HD600s. What am I in for folks?
To actually sound warmer than some people claim to be.

Also to reach the actual endgame because anything else more expensive is just a preference of sound.

Also I got the Tin Hifi P1s. I was afraid reading about people's impressions about the power requirement but they sound great out of my S10E so far. Will put them through their paces when I get back home with my Mojo but they seem to run well on my phone.

Also the bass is pretty good. I don't know if it's because I got used to a more bass light sound nowadays but it is not bass light like some people are saying.

First Planar IEMs. Pretty happy with it.