• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to decide between the HD 58X or another headphone. Its cheap on Massdrop and I'm having a tough time not pulling the trigger.

I currently own a pair of AKG Q701s and HD 598s.

Overall, I prefer my AKG Q701s, largely for the bigger sound stage, clearer sound, and all around more detail. I feel the bass on the HD 598 is a bit uncontrolled, even if its more present than on the Q701s.

I originally bought my Q701s for gaming, but fell in love with them for orchestrated film scores, jazz, classical, classic rock, and anything vocal heavy. However, I'm starting to branch out a bit more and have started to listen to some EDM and hip hop and found them leaving much to be desired in these genres. Mostly the lack of bass and impact. Would the HD 58X be a good choice for this genre? I've read they've got plenty more bass and impact over the HD 598s and people have recommended them.
I'm confused by your post. You started off saying that the bass of the 598 is too uncontrolled and too much, even though to my ears it's pretty close to neutral in the bass department. Moreover, you'd like to buy the 58X which definitely is a bit bassier even though you complained about the bass being too much on the 598. You're also stepping down in Soundstage, as the 58X is a bit narrower sounding than the 598. With that being said if you truly desire a more visceral bass response you'll usually have to trade off either Soundstage, or mid-range accuracy due to mid bass bleed, or both.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally really intrigued by the Verum One and the prospect of getting that Audeze like sound in a $300 headphone.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused by your post. You started off saying that the bass of the 598 is too uncontrolled and too much, even though to my ears it's pretty close to neutral in the bass department. Moreover, you'd like to buy the 58X which definitely is a bit bassier even though you complained about the bass being too much on the 598. You're also stepping down in Soundstage, as the 58X is a bit narrower sounding than the 598. With that being said if you truly desire a more visceral bass response you'll usually have to trade off either Soundstage, or mid-range accuracy due to mid bass bleed, or both.
Ill be more clear, its not too much, it was just loose and flabby. I want something with more bass than the 598s, but more impact and more tight, if that makes any sense.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think going for the Massdrop HE4XX might make more sense then.
Went ahead and ordred the HE4XX and the HD58X. I'll probably sell the one I like least. Do you think the getting the 6XX would be redundant with owning the Q701s? I know the 6XX's are a bit more laid back and less soundstage, but also more flat and analytical than the other two. I was curious about grabbing that as well and maybe replacing my Q701 if I ended up liking it more.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and ordred the HE4XX and the HD58X. I'll probably sell the one I like least. Do you think the getting the 6XX would be redundant with owning the Q701s? I know the 6XX's are a bit more laid back and less soundstage, but also more flat and analytical than the other two. I was curious about grabbing that as well and maybe replacing my Q701 if I ended up liking it more.
Are you confusing the 6XX with HD600? Because it's definitely not flatter and more analytical than Q701 and 598.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
theres 0 reason to grab the 6xx's if you're getting the 58x's

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, ended up getting the HD6XX due to all the rave reviews the 650 gets. FIrst impressions, it feels so claustrophobic compared to my Q701. Its weird, at the same time everything is closed in, but sounds a bit distant. In synthwave music, I feel the attack is too slow compared to my AKGs, the bass carries on for too long, kind of muddles the beat a bit. The AKG, while definitely lighter, is lightening quick by comparison. I also feel like there's just tons more detail and texture to the sound overall. Then there's the cheapo build quality that honestly feels a bit suspect. I'm going to give a few weeks to get use to them, but overall I feel like I prefer my Q701s, just kind of wish they had some more bass. I think the K7XX or K712 Pros are probably what I was after. But its still too early to say.

edit: The lack of soundstage really makes it unsuitable for synthwave for me. It loses so much sense of space and immersion.

On this particular bit, you feel like you're in a large open space with these notes echoing. the detail(or imaging, whatever you want to call it) on the Q701s is great enough to to the point where they feel completely separated from the rest of the music. Like everything is playing in a band setting next to you, but the little echo notes are going off in the distance, apart of a different layer. With the 6XXs, they feel two-dimensional by comparison.

Edit2: Listening to some LOTR music. Definitely a warmer, thicker tone out of the 6XX, but some detail is noticeably lost. On the Q701, the violin sounds livelier and the vibrato is more apparent

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The HD600 and HD650 take a while to get used to. You're not buying them for "soundstage" or anything, they've been a definitive sample of good tonality for decades.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
The Hifiman should have the attack you're after but they're also not nearly as wide in terms of soundstage

N_L

Oct 31, 2017
Any good wireless earbuds yet? I've been wanting to get a pair for a while but there was always a big con to each model, be it bad battery, crappy sound/base, poor fitting etc.
I don't have many opportunities to test them irl so I'll have to order online and wanna get a best thing I can for a reasonable price I can.
So yeah, I'd prefer a decent sound, charging case, not for them to cost a ton and be true wireless. Main use would be music/audiobooks when traveling or have time to spare, I don't use headphones a ton and my wired earbuds are slowly dying right now. I'm on android.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
sleepnaught K712 is gonna have more bass with slightly smaller soundstage and no hole in the middle. Honestly saving up for used HD800 might be a better move at this point because otherwise it's just gonna be a sidegrade.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Any good wireless earbuds yet? I've been wanting to get a pair for a while but there was always a big con to each model, be it bad battery, crappy sound/base, poor fitting etc.
I don't have many opportunities to test them irl so I'll have to order online and wanna get a best thing I can for a reasonable price I can.
So yeah, I'd prefer a decent sound, charging case, not for them to cost a ton and be true wireless. Main use would be music/audiobooks when traveling or have time to spare, I don't use headphones a ton and my wired earbuds are slowly dying right now. I'm on android.

Anker makes some good cheap ones, part of their Soundcore Liberty line.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I hope they shoot for <$250 and 8hrs+ life. Had a chance to speak to the CTO for a bit last year, are they at CES this year? I would expect impressions to be the same, but am wondering if it is just as isolating as the cans.

Ionizer

Oct 29, 2017
I am receiving the Sennheiser HD6XX headphones today (with a USB DAC/AMP) and I also have a USB blue yeti mic. Will I be able to plug the mic and dac/amp into the two usb ports in the front of the PS4 and use both of these at the same time? I don't really want to plug my headphones into the controller since I'd like to use the DAC/AMP.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finally bit on the 6XX. I've wanted these for a long time and really just wanted to add to the collection. I like to have a lot of different headphone and speaker set ups when working on music. This will be my 3rd pair of Sennheisers, not that the others are audiophile grade(HD280 & PXC550) but they all serve their purpose, and it'll be nice to have an open back pair.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda intrigued by how the new Brainwavz Alara Planars are going to turn out, there aren't even a lot of impressions out yet though.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Finally found this thread. Tons of great info here and want to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge provided in advance. I'm looking for a decent set of bluetooth headphones for my Note 9 to listen to my music as well as take calls. I've been eyeing the Sony XB950N1 since they also have noise canceling. I wish they had the colors the B1's have, but those aren't noise canceling. Any tips on these or recommendations to something similar/better?

Did a little more searching and kind of willing to spend more. Reading nothing but positives about the Sony WH1000XM3. Curious what thoughts are on these?

lol Couldn't wait, so bought the Sony M3's. None of the local stores had them in stock so decided to order them from Amazon. Just caught the cutoff for delivery tomorrow, so can't wait to get my hands on these.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The QC35 series 1 that Bose offered as a replacement for my dead and out of warranty QC25 arrived today, and I'm surprised by some of the differences.
Build quality actually feels noticeably more solid than the QC35-II, with things like the headband adjustments being stiff and rigidly holding their position rather than loose, and the buttons having a clicky tactile feel rather than being mushy.
Unfortunately I don't have the two to compare side-by-side, but comfort also seems to be better with the series 1 QC35.
As far as I can tell they look the same, though it's possible that the headband is a slightly different shape (more like the QC25). The main difference seems to be that the ear pads are much softer.
I don't know if these differences I have noticed are just quality control things, or slight changes they made for the sake of durability or cost, but it was unexpected.
The carrying case is a somewhat uglier design with a "badge" for the Bose logo rather than being printed on, but on the plus side, it comes with an airline adapter which was removed from the QC35-II. The 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter still lacks an in-line remote/microphone though.

The voice prompts are softer (rather than 'shouting') but also spoken at a slower pace.
Related to the voice prompts, I think I forgot to mention before that you can also quickly change paired devices by hitting the Bluetooth switch without needing the app. The first time you press it, it tells you the devices it is currently connected to, then each time you press it, it will read out the name of previously connected devices, and connect to whatever one you stop on. So its connection management is even better than I initially thought.
I don't miss the Google Assistant/Alexa/ANC strength button on the left side, though I might if I used those services.
And it's a minor thing, but there's a slight pop when playback stops and the headphones switch to idle, which was not present with the QC35-II (or Sony WH-1000XM3).

Despite the softer ear pads, the noise cancelling is still noticeably improved if I press the earcups against my head, and the noise cancelling is still affected by whether I am wearing glasses or not - though it's not quite as bad as the QC35-II with the firmer padding.
This was not the case with the Sony WH-1000XM3 (a good thing) though after using both headphones for a while, I noticed that Sony's ANC was affected significantly by movement of the headphones when walking or running, while Bose's noise cancelling was barely affected at all.
I also noticed that sometimes Sony's ANC would suffer from resonance which was mild, but unpleasant. I've never had that happen with Bose's ANC.

One last thing that I noticed after using them for a while, and with multiple devices, is that practically nothing other than Apple devices seems to support AAC.
I was hoping to add a longer range Bluetooth adapter to my PC, but I cannot find an AAC-capable Bluetooth adapter for my PC at all - whether it's the standard 10m or a longer range one. aptX adapters are rare, but do exist.
So that is one downside to Bose only supporting SBC and AAC, while Sony supports SBC, AAC, aptX, and LDAC - though no aptX Low Latency for gaming.

I think that none of these wireless/ANC headphones is ideal yet, and picking one is selecing which trade-offs you are happy with.
For me, the convenience and superior connectivity makes Bose a clear winner, but if you only need to pair to a single device, or use Android devices and are concerned about audio quality, the superior codec support of Sony's headphones may be the better choice for you. I really don't like how they handle connectivity, the slow controls/interface, or just how much larger they are though.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Cloth on my left fidelio x2 pad came loose and I can't find an easily buyable replacement that's not pleather. feels bad.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
I remember looking into someone online that hacked together some replacements from Beyerdynamic velour earpads on the X1. Might be worth investigating. I imagine it would be easier to do with the X2 since the new replaceable earpads system should give you a template.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I remember looking into someone online that hacked together some replacements from Beyerdynamic velour earpads on the X1. Might be worth investigating. I imagine it would be easier to do with the X2 since the new replaceable earpads system should give you a template.
I'm tempted to just nab the x2hr as the band on my x2 is shot to hell.

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Does anyone have experience / thoughts on the Shure 535 IEMs? Currently enjoy the Shure 215s but looking for something better.

I purchased Sennheiser HD600s last year but shortly after buying them got a new job where I'm in the office every day, and have small kids at home now, so Ive literally used them 5 times and should probably just sell them. My life is not conducive to that open-back lifestyle for the time being.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have experience / thoughts on the Shure 535 IEMs? Currently enjoy the Shure 215s but looking for something better.

I purchased Sennheiser HD600s last year but shortly after buying them got a new job where I'm in the office every day, and have small kids at home now, so Ive literally used them 5 times and should probably just sell them. My life is not conducive to that open-back lifestyle for the time being.
Most likely overpriced. There are some ridiculous offerings in the $200 - $300 range now. For example the LZ A6, Tansio TSMR 3, Fidue A81, FiiO FA7, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
La La Land
Solo3's getting on my nerves so I just got some H4s for $187.

Kinda bummed the 3.5mm cord doesn't have a mic to it. Beats & H4s - can't use neither in Xbox party chat. What a life, huh?

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
Headphones ERA, I think I killed my Schiit Magni.

I had been hearing this buzzing in my right ear, separate from the static that you hear when you put your fingers on the volume knob.

It would vary in volume and I thought it might be a grounding issue. I'm in Japan and I don't really know the grounding situation here.

Well, now no sound comes out of the Magni. The power LED will come on, but no sound. No buzzing, nothing.

SifuSeafood

Oct 27, 2017

I know you're looking for true wireless earbuds but have you looked into a Bluetooth receiver like the Radsone EarStudio ES-100? This thing is packed with features @ $100

I used to be far more hesitant to keep my headphones/IEMs plugged into my phone because of feeling tethered to it.

Specifications:

Output RMS Power
- 3.5mm Unbalanced: 1.1 V
- 2.5mm Balanced: 2.2 V

SNR* (1KHz, 20KHz AES17)
- 3.5mm Unbalanced: 109dB (+2.8dBu)
- 2.5mm Balanced: 110dB (+8.8dBu)

Output Impedance
- 0.5~1 ohm

Bluetooth Range
- 10 meters

THD+N* (1KHz, 20KHz AES17)
- 3.5mm Unbalanced: 0.0022%
- 2.5mm Balanced: 0.0014%

Support
- LDAC, aptX-HD, AAC, aptX, SBC

Battery
- 14 hours

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got my 6XX a few days ago, they're so damn comfortable and are a great substitute for when I can't use my monitors.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
The 58x Jubilee i ordered is estimated to ship around the 25th, hope ill get it soon after.

Also ordered the FX-Audio Dac x6 for like 45 bucks so once i have received both i should have a pretty decent and very budget friendly setup.

Can't wait.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, everyone. I thought I'd post this here since I got no replies over at the Audio Era thread.

I have a pair of HD650's and I'm wondering if I'm utterly underusing them. I have no AMP of any kind, and I don't know if my ASUS PRIME z390 motherboard is enough to drive these headphones. I once purchased the Firestone Audio Fubar 4 and hated it. I remember it made the sound "flat" and hollow. I feared I'd damage the headphones.

I just want to see recommendations on what to try and see if there's a significant sound improvement. Currently eyeing the Shiit Fulla 2 or Magni/Modi, but I'm basing this on practically nothing since I know very little of the audiophile ins and outs.

<unrelated>
bGM7yk6.jpg

What do these two speaker incons mean?

The "smaller" one in the middle make my Logitech z623 sound really punchy, almost muffled, while the "tall" one on the right brightens up the sound quite a bit.

Which is the "correct" one?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Headphones ERA, I think I killed my Schiit Magni.

I had been hearing this buzzing in my right ear, separate from the static that you hear when you put your fingers on the volume knob.

It would vary in volume and I thought it might be a grounding issue. I'm in Japan and I don't really know the grounding situation here.

Well, now no sound comes out of the Magni. The power LED will come on, but no sound. No buzzing, nothing.
Only thing you can do at this point is contact Schiit.

Hey, everyone. I thought I'd post this here since I got no replies over at the Audio Era thread.

I have a pair of HD650's and I'm wondering if I'm utterly underusing them. I have no AMP of any kind, and I don't know if my ASUS PRIME z390 motherboard is enough to drive these headphones. I once purchased the Firestone Audio Fubar 4 and hated it. I remember it made the sound "flat" and hollow. I feared I'd damage the headphones.

I just want to see recommendations on what to try and see if there's a significant sound improvement. Currently eyeing the Shiit Fulla 2 or Magni/Modi, but I'm basing this on practically nothing since I know very little of the audiophile ins and outs.
You have an amp. I learned this by Google searching your motherboard.

As far as your picture, I have no idea.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize we had a Headphone Era.

00100lportrait_00100_dvjh4.jpg

I recently added Fostex T60RPs to my collection. This is my first time listening to planar magnetic headphones, and they're fantastic. I find myself listening to everything over again, and can't wait to try them out on some games. I can certainly see why the T50RPs became the cornerstone of the modding community for so many years.

It's hard to find any decent information on the motherboard headphone out. It's certainly providing some power (they all do to some extent), but it's unclear how much or to what quality.

You can't really tell if the HD650s (assuming they behave like the HD600s) lack in power simply by not becoming loud enough. You can achieve volume pretty easily on just about anything, but they do need quite a bit of power to be driven properly.

I saw this video a few days ago, it might be useful if you end up choosing an external Amp.

I have no idea what the ASUS software icons are about. Could it be distinguishing between front-ported speakers and back-ported speakers?

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You have an amp. I learned this by Google searching your motherboard.

As far as your picture, I have no idea.

Thanks. I should have specified I have the P model. The Z390-A has a built in impedance sensor and audio amp, but the Z390-P (mine) has none of that... :/

I didn't realize we had a Headphone Era.

I recently added Fostex T60RPs to my collection. This is my first time listening to planar magnetic headphones, and they're fantastic. I find myself listening to everything over again, and can't wait to try them out on some games. I can certainly see why the T50RPs became the cornerstone of the modding community for so many years.

It's hard to find any decent information on the motherboard headphone out. It's certainly providing some power (they all do to some extent), but it's unclear how much or to what quality.

You can't really tell if the HD650s (assuming they behave like the HD600s) lack in power simply by not becoming loud enough. You can achieve volume pretty easily on just about anything, but it does need quite a bit of power to be driven properly.

I saw this video a few days ago, it might be useful if you end up choosing an external Amp.

I have no idea what the ASUS software icons are about. Could it be distinguishing between front-ported speakers and back-ported speakers?

Those are some classy looking cans.

I also have no clue what those icons mean. They do change the sound quite a bit, though. It's frustrating not knowing cause I'm not discerning enough to choose what's better, so I just set it to Auto for now. It sounds a bit more treble-y, erm... more clarity in the "highs"? It doesn't sacrifice the boomy bass, which I like. The "small speaker" icon just boosts the bass like crazy, and I worry they're getting the wrong kind of signal. I'm still trying to figure out what sample rate and bit-depth will do me best (and what exactly they change). This guy tears the z623 to shreds but says the satellite speakers have full-range drivers, so I left that box ticked. He also talks about doing something called a "DSP correction" which seems to be some kind of advanced equalizer but, again I'm not savvy enough to meddle with it or even sure if I'll like the result.

I see you have a pair of Senn's. Judging by the grainy finish I'd say the 600's? What kind of amp do you use?

Last edited:

Mr_Kuschels

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for wooden headphone stands? Amazon has a couple that mostly look identical (which makes picking the "best" one rather tough). Is there any preferred brand/manufacturer that I should keep looking after?

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Those are some classy looking cans.

I also have no clue what those icons mean. They do change the sound quite a bit, though. It's frustrating not knowing cause I'm not discerning enough to choose what's better, so I just set it to Auto for now. It sounds a bit more treble-y, erm... more clarity in the "highs"? It doesn't sacrifice the boomy bass, which I like. The "small speaker" icon just boosts the bass like crazy, and I worry they're getting the wrong kind of signal. I'm still trying to figure out what sample rate and bit-depth will do me best (and what exactly they change). This guy tears the z623 to shreds but says the satellite speakers have full-range drivers, so I left that box ticked. He also talks about doing something called a "DSP correction" which seems to be some kind of advanced equalizer but, again I'm not savvy enough to meddle with it or even sure if I'll like the result.

I see you have a pair of Senn's. Judging by the grainy finish I'd say the 600's? What kind of amp do you use?

Thanks.

Generally, it's fine to set the bit-depth to whatever your highest option is. It'll just add zeros to the remaining bits if your source is using a lower bit-depth. With the sampling rate on the other hand you should aim for the same rate as your source, or re-sampling will occur, which isn't desirable. Perfect integer differences are generally fine though (48000 Hz > 96000 Hz). For most non-music applications, 48000 Hz is what I'd set it to. A lot of music is 44100 Hz, but you'll have to check.

Yes, the HD600s.

00100lportrait_00100_nhj4j.jpg

I'm using the RME ADI-2 DAC as my component solution for everything now, but it's pretty expensive. I was using the Objective 2 Amp for many years, and it's a fantastic amp. Today though I'd recommend the JDS Labs Atom. You'd be hard-pressed to get more value from $99.

Any suggestions for wooden headphone stands? Amazon has a couple that mostly look identical (which makes picking the "best" one rather tough). Is there any preferred brand/manufacturer that I should keep looking after?

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. After some research I ended up with the Qadira stand. I saw some complaints about the wood finish on one of others ripping leather pads, and some other cracking issues. It seemed the safer choice of the ones I looked at.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
The NuraLoop is unveiled:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/06/nuraloop-personalized-sound-wireless-buds/

Wireless earbud versions of the Nuraphones. And it has a 3.5mm jack.
I hope they shoot for <$250 and 8hrs+ life. Had a chance to speak to the CTO for a bit last year, are they at CES this year? I would expect impressions to be the same, but am wondering if it is just as isolating as the cans.

Hmm... looks like they may be able to achieve this, in which case would be HUGE imo
https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/06/nura-brings-its-adaptive-headphone-tech-to-bluetooth-earbuds/

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Any recommendations for HE560 earpads? The original Hifiman ones started to broke and according to reviews replacement focus pads suffer from the same issue.

Jan 1, 2018
Madrid
I'm currently using closed back headphones but want to try something new, so I've been lurking up on my city for good deals on open back ones. I found a pair of almost new Sennheiser HD598 for 60€ and the Massdrop HD6XX for 200€, which is not bad when you consider shipping to Spain + import taxes.

I don't know which ones to try though, as the price difference is quite high.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man... Headphones have gotten complicated. I went out thinking I'd buy some headphones but everything got these crazy bells and whistles. While in all honesty I just want some wired headphones that I can use with everything I own and that I can also use to make phone calls. I used to work at a place that had Sennheiser Momentums which ticked all the boxes above. But I'm sure there are plenty better headphones out there now and those momentums did get tiring after wearing them for a while.

Everything is wireless and noise canceling now. Which I'm sure can be super convenient. But I just want something that will work with everything :(

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
I'm currently using closed back headphones but want to try something new, so I've been lurking up on my city for good deals on open back ones. I found a pair of almost new Sennheiser HD598 for 60€ and the Massdrop HD6XX for 200€, which is not bad when you consider shipping to Spain + import taxes.

At those prices you shouldn't lose much if you end up reselling the phones, so you could try both.

That said, I personally like Beyerdynamic DT880's more than the 650/6xx, and they cost 159 euros new on amazon.es. Certainly better soundstage and clarity than the 650s so they are better phones for gaming.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

Have you got an amp? Because you will need one for the HD6xx. While the HD598 will be able to run from anything.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Man... Headphones have gotten complicated. I went out thinking I'd buy some headphones but everything got these crazy bells and whistles. While in all honesty I just want some wired headphones that I can use with everything I own and that I can also use to make phone calls. I used to work at a place that had Sennheiser Momentums which ticked all the boxes above. But I'm sure there are plenty better headphones out there now and those momentums did get tiring after wearing them for a while.

Everything is wireless and noise canceling now. Which I'm sure can be super convenient. But I just want something that will work with everything :(
You can still get the wired version of the Momentums as far as I'm aware. It's just that the wireless ones are a bit newer and more promoted due to wireless/ANC being the in thing at the moment.

Either way, I don't think wired headphones "age" like other technology does. Some of the most loved wired headphones are some of the oldest. Wireless headphones on the other hand are different, they get revisions all the time as bluetooth codecs improve and as ANC methods improve.

Well it's worth noting you may want to get a dac/amp as well if you're going to be going for the HD6xx, unless you already have a pretty good sound card. I mean you can use them without an amp and they sound decent, but you're not getting the best out of them IMO.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was able to snag a pair of Jabra 65t Bluetooth earbuds this past Christ for 99 bucks. So far after a good month, I'm happy with them. The sound is pretty decent and they actually stay in my ears unlike other brands I have tried.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You can still get the wired version of the Momentums as far as I'm aware. It's just that the wireless ones are a bit newer and more promoted due to wireless/ANC being the in thing at the moment.

Either way, I don't think wired headphones "age" like other technology does. Some of the most loved wired headphones are some of the oldest. Wireless headphones on the other hand are different, they get revisions all the time as bluetooth codecs improve and as ANC methods improve.

Interesting notion indeed. After some research I might still get a Bose QC35 or Sony 1000XM2/3 since I saw that you can still use them with a wire. Which might bring the best of both worlds I guess.

Though since these devices are so heavily focused on noise canceling, which is a feature I just don't need, I'm worried that there might be some headphones out there are the same price/cheaper that have better sound quality or something.