• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting notion indeed. After some research I might still get a Bose QC35 or Sony 1000XM2/3 since I saw that you can still use them with a wire. Which might bring the best of both worlds I guess.

Though since these devices are so heavily focused on noise canceling, which is a feature I just don't need, I'm worried that there might be some headphones out there are the same price/cheaper that have better sound quality or something.
If you don't really care for wireless and/or ANC then you're probably better off just going wired, yeah. You will get better sound quality for cheaper, since you absolutely are paying for wireless and ANC in the price.

Jan 1, 2018
Madrid
Have you got an amp? Because you will need one for the HD6xx. While the HD598 will be able to run from anything.

I mainly use them from a Audient iD14 on my computer (which drives headphones pretty nicely) and I just bought a JDS Labs Atom for the TV setup, but being able to drive the headphones easily is a pro as I could use them in more situations... maybe I'll end up buying both.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I've got an issue that should be on Studio monitors ERA, but since that OT doesn't exist and this thread is the closest we have, here goes: I need to connect multiple devices to my monitors. Currently, I have my PC connected to my monitors since that's where I edit audio, but I'd also like to connect my consoles there, as they're on the same desk. The computer's fine with the connection since I'm using DVI for video, but my consoles are using HDMI to connect to my screen. So I'd need something that'd allow me to connect both the audio from my screen and my PC to my single-entrance monitors. I don't need a mixer as I only want to use one source at a time. Amazon have these switches, but I don't trust that I won't lose quality while using one of those...

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have some recommendations for wired earbuds?

I'm looking for something under $40 (CAD). For reference, previously I was using the Samsung AKG earbuds that come bundled with Samsung phones. In the past I have used the Xiaomi Hybrid earbuds and liked them, but I find they're too difficult to get an authentic pair without having to wait ages for it to ship to Canada. Looking for something that Amazon has ideally, since my current pair had the left earbud die on me and I want to get a new pair relatively soon.

Jan 1, 2018
Madrid
I've got an issue that should be on Studio monitors ERA, but since that OT doesn't exist and this thread is the closest we have, here goes: I need to connect multiple devices to my monitors. Currently, I have my PC connected to my monitors since that's where I edit audio, but I'd also like to connect my consoles there, as they're on the same desk. The computer's fine with the connection since I'm using DVI for video, but my consoles are using HDMI to connect to my screen. So I'd need something that'd allow me to connect both the audio from my screen and my PC to my single-entrance monitors. I don't need a mixer as I only want to use one source at a time. Amazon have these switches, but I don't trust that I won't lose quality while using one of those...

You could use a JDS Labs Atom that has two inputs, a preamp and a headphone amp. With that you would have a handy volume control, the best headphone amp you can buy with 99$ and a pre-amp for the studio monitors.

Last edited:

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have some recommendations for wired earbuds?

I'm looking for something under $40 (CAD). For reference, previously I was using the Samsung AKG earbuds that come bundled with Samsung phones. In the past I have used the Xiaomi Hybrid earbuds and liked them, but I find they're too difficult to get an authentic pair without having to wait ages for it to ship to Canada. Looking for something that Amazon has ideally, since my current pair had the left earbud die on me and I want to get a new pair relatively soon.
moondrop crescents

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hi. General question about IEMs vs over-ear cans and dollar-for-dollar value.

Is it generally true that for the same dollar amount, you get "more" sound quality / value from over-ear cans vs IEMs? I've always assumed that, but am not sure to what extent it's true. In other words, for the sound quality you get in a well reviewed $250 over-ear cans, that "equivalent" quality of sound would cost more in IEMs?

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
I just got my Fiio M3K a few days ago and man that's some exceptional audio quality on an 69€ audioplayer. Works great on my Audioquest Nighthawk, DT 770s and my totally forgotten Superlux HD681 B, which i never gave much of a listen, but wow these cans are an absolute steal for just 20€ (the HD681s without the "B" are probably even better 🤔).

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Do you guys think there's ever going to be earbuds that match the quality of the Apple earbuds for their price? I have tried for hours to find some that fit the same formfactor over anything and it just doesn't exist. I would love earbuds in that style but I mean just about anything good is in-earcanal and that shit honestly hurts my ear.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think there's ever going to be earbuds that match the quality of the Apple earbuds for their price? I have tried for hours to find some that fit the same formfactor over anything and it just doesn't exist. I would love earbuds in that style but I mean just about anything good is in-earcanal and that shit honestly hurts my ear.
check out the memt t5's

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Does anyone here have experience with the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC noise cancelling headphones or thoughts on how they are vs similar models?

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here have experience with the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC noise cancelling headphones or thoughts on how they are vs similar models?

i dont have the noise canceling version, just the normal MSR7's which i bought on recomendation. i dont know about the noise canceling aspects nor am i knowlegeable about headphones enough to give a full on rundown, but the MSR7's sound really really good and ive enjoyed them immensely since ive got them. the NC version from what i read sounds the same, just has noise canceling capabilities.

Oct 27, 2017
I have spent the last few days researching headphones and gone down a way much larger rabbit hole than I anticipated. What started out as looking at SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Dac, SteelSeries Arctic Pro Wireless, and Astro A40 + Mixamp Pro TR has now turned into being very critical of what I pick next. I have looked at HyperX Cloud Alpha, Logitech G Pro, Sennheiser GSP 300, and Sennheiser HD 58X as well.

I have used the Sony Stereo Wireless Headset on my PS3 and the Sony Golds (version 1) on my PS4. At work I've used Sennheiser CX300-B then when they died I used CX300B MKII. Those died last year and I am using the AKG earbuds that came with my Note 8 at work now. I am pleased with them overall. I have never been fully pleased with the Sony Golds like I was with the Sony headset I used on my PS3. I recently started streaming with a cheap mic (https://www.amazon.com/SF-666-Multimedia-Studio-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00Q4WBFG6) and my Sony Golds. I know they weren't the best, but I bought something cheap and something that would just work. The Golds are no longer working for me and I want to upgrade. I am looking for something to use on my PS4 Pro and PC primarily. I will occasionally use them on my Switch and Xbox One X. I am looking at buying a nicer mic to chat with my stream, but I was hoping to get a headset and separate mic to chat with my PS4 side of audio. I have looked at amps and dacs as well as the ModMic 5 and V-MODA BoomPro. Was hoping to get some clarity or pointed in the right direction to pick a proper headset, amp / dac (if needed), and mic.

Also, any mic recommendations for my streaming side of things? USB vs XLR. I have looked at AT2020 XLR, Rode NT-USB, Behringer XM8500, and AT2020USB+.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
I have spent the last few days researching headphones and gone down a way much larger rabbit hole than I anticipated. What started out as looking at SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Dac, SteelSeries Arctic Pro Wireless, and Astro A40 + Mixamp Pro TR has now turned into being very critical of what I pick next. I have looked at HyperX Cloud Alpha, Logitech G Pro, Sennheiser GSP 300, and Sennheiser HD 58X as well.

I have used the Sony Stereo Wireless Headset on my PS3 and the Sony Golds (version 1) on my PS4. At work I've used Sennheiser CX300-B then when they died I used CX300B MKII. Those died last year and I am using the AKG earbuds that came with my Note 8 at work now. I am pleased with them overall. I have never been fully pleased with the Sony Golds like I was with the Sony headset I used on my PS3. I recently started streaming with a cheap mic (https://www.amazon.com/SF-666-Multimedia-Studio-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B00Q4WBFG6) and my Sony Golds. I know they weren't the best, but I bought something cheap and something that would just work. The Golds are no longer working for me and I want to upgrade. I am looking for something to use on my PS4 Pro and PC primarily. I will occasionally use them on my Switch and Xbox One X. I am looking at buying a nicer mic to chat with my stream, but I was hoping to get a headset and separate mic to chat with my PS4 side of audio. I have looked at amps and dacs as well as the ModMic 5 and V-MODA BoomPro. Was hoping to get some clarity or pointed in the right direction to pick a proper headset, amp / dac (if needed), and mic.

Also, any mic recommendations for my streaming side of things? USB vs XLR. I have looked at AT2020 XLR, Rode NT-USB, Behringer XM8500, and AT2020USB+.
I'd say the HD58X no question but if you're looking for a simple all-in-one headset then get the Cloud Alpha's or the Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X/Game Ones if you want an open back pair with a slightly better mic. As for dedicated mic's the Samson Q2U's cheap, well regarded, and includes USB and XLR out. Even has a simple on/off switch for when you need to mute things real quick.

e: Also worth checking out the Audio Technica ATH-WS1100iS paired with a BoomPro. Excellent imaging for games and plays nicely with anything you can throw at em.

Last edited:

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Last week I bought my first pair of headphones since 2013. Ive been rocking the DT770s for 6 years and it was time to move on.

I purchased the sony WH-1000xm3 bluetooth noise cancelling headphones and WOW. I thought noise cancelling was a gimmick but i will never go back to standard or wired headphones again

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
i dont have the noise canceling version, just the normal MSR7's which i bought on recomendation. i dont know about the noise canceling aspects nor am i knowlegeable about headphones enough to give a full on rundown, but the MSR7's sound really really good and ive enjoyed them immensely since ive got them. the NC version from what i read sounds the same, just has noise canceling capabilities.

Thanks for the input. Turns out the unit I tested was just defective. Bought the MR7NC's and my unit's NC feature works great. So far extremely impressed with them. Sound and detail level is extremely clear. My day-to-day walking around headphones for last year have been Shure 215 IEMs, and at least to my untrained ears, clarity and detail in these MR7NC's is substantial step up.

Only weird thing is the cable seems to be a thinner / more plasticky material than even the M50X. A little odd, but only a minor quibble.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Hi. General question about IEMs vs over-ear cans and dollar-for-dollar value.

Is it generally true that for the same dollar amount, you get "more" sound quality / value from over-ear cans vs IEMs? I've always assumed that, but am not sure to what extent it's true. In other words, for the sound quality you get in a well reviewed $250 over-ear cans, that "equivalent" quality of sound would cost more in IEMs?
Flip that backwards and you'll have the actual truth.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So I've bought the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earbuds recently and oh boy, do they sound incredible. Absolutely the best IEM's I've ever owned. There's some minor issues with them which are a shame. You can't connect to more than one device at a time, the case only provides two additional 4h charges, and the touch controls are meh, but all that is minor. The wear is very comfortable, the build quality is great, and as said, they sound amazing. Expensive as hell, but well worth it.

There's some pics in this (Dutch) review I wrote: https://tweakers.net/productreview/207080/sennheiser-momentum-true-wireless-(zwart).html

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands

I received my HD58x's a few days ago and so far i really like them for both gaming and music. It has a narrow soundstage but the seperation/imaging is so good that I can pinpoint when someone is moving nearby and i can tell exactly which way they are going or coming from.

As for a good mic i think alot of streamers start out with a blue snowball.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the HD58X no question but if you're looking for a simple all-in-one headset then get the Cloud Alpha's or the Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X/Game Ones if you want an open back pair with a slightly better mic. As for dedicated mic's the Samson Q2U's cheap, well regarded, and includes USB and XLR out. Even has a simple on/off switch for when you need to mute things real quick.

e: Also worth checking out the Audio Technica ATH-WS1100iS paired with a BoomPro. Excellent imaging for games and plays nicely with anything you can throw at em.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will research them and see which I like best.

I received my HD58x's a few days ago and so far i really like them for both gaming and music. It has a narrow soundstage but the seperation/imaging is so good that I can pinpoint when someone is moving nearby and i can tell exactly which way they are going or coming from.

As for a good mic i think alot of streamers start out with a blue snowball.

Thanks for the feedback. I am definitely a big Sennheiser fan so leaning towards their products.

I saw that mic among a few others were common. I am still trying to find a proper dac / amp and mixer to fit in my budget with headphones.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ERA, looking to replace my current headphones, Audio Technica M50X were recommended in a different thread, are there other notable options around the same price? I mainly use them for my laptop, gaming and whenever I travel.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
In the a month or 2, I'm looking to upgrade my shitty Logitech USB headset for better audio quality for flac music (jazz, hip hop, EDM, classic rock) and gaming.

This for my PC, where my main sound system is 3.0 with vintage towers and a center speaker connected to a Yamaha RX-V383.

I've been interested in the following combo:
- Antlion Audio ModMic 5
- Philips SHP9500S (any alternative close to these as I just figured out these are discontinued)

Questions: will my receiver work well as a DAC for the headphones? Does the Philips SHP9500S come with a 1/4 inch headphone jack adapter? Are these headphones compatible with Dolby Atmos on PC?

I have the receiver set up via HDMI directly to the GPU so I'm getting lossless PCM from my PC.

Last edited:

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
Hey ERA, looking to replace my current headphones, Audio Technica M50X were recommended in a different thread, are there other notable options around the same price? I mainly use them for my laptop, gaming and whenever I travel.
For me personally the M50 were super uncomfortable. In closed headphones at similar price, Beyer DT770s are comfy and sound better too. The downsides are that they don't fold and cable is not detachable. I still travel with them though. The 32ohm version has a short cable.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
Oh god, I'm drowning in this rabbit hole.

Hello beautiful people. I'm looking for suggestions for a pair of over-the-ear, open-back headphones that are mainly going to be used for gaming. To be completely transparent, I'm playing Apex Legends on PC and I'm finna cap these enemigos in they asses and I need to hear exactly where they're coming from to help facilitate that.

I lean toward a preference of bass, though it doesn't need to be brain-rattling.

I'm looking at a budget of roughly $150 USD. Eyeing a pair of HD599s, but interested in any other suggestions if y'all think that money can be better spent on a different pair.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017

Hello beautiful people. I'm looking for suggestions for a pair of over-the-ear, open-back headphones that are mainly going to be used for gaming. To be completely transparent, I'm playing Apex Legends on PC and I'm finna cap these enemigos in they asses and I need to hear exactly where they're coming from to help facilitate that.

I lean toward a preference of bass, though it doesn't need to be brain-rattling.

I'm looking at a budget of roughly $150 USD. Eyeing a pair of HD599s, but interested in any other suggestions if y'all think that money can be better spent on a different pair.
It's a good choice at that price bracket if you don't intend on investing in a headphone amplifier.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017

hd58x's from massdrop

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
Hey everyone, I've been using a pair of audio technica ath-a500x headphones. I'm interested in buying an amp for them but I'm not sure where to start, or if I'll get a significant boost in audio quality. I'm using them just for music and gaming.

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
I'm looking for suggestions for a pair of over-the-ear, open-back headphones that are mainly going to be used for gaming. To be completely transparent, I'm playing Apex Legends on PC and I'm finna cap these enemigos in they asses and I need to hear exactly where they're coming from to help facilitate that.

I'm looking at a budget of roughly $150 USD.
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro is worth looking at at that price. Sharp treble so sense of direction is good, solid bass, more recessed midrange, better build quality than Sennheisers.
My friend who is a pro audio designer uses them for mixing. I have 3 pairs of related Beyer models so I can recommend the build quality and comfort.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I've been using a pair of audio technica ath-a500x headphones. I'm interested in buying an amp for them but I'm not sure where to start, or if I'll get a significant boost in audio quality. I'm using them just for music and gaming.
JDS Labs Atom, Liquid Spark, Schiit Magni 3 are your best bets for ~$100. You won't get much out of an amp though, biggest difference compared to your pc is going to be output impedance, you can plug them into your phone (which has a lot lower impedance, more comparable with an external amp) to compare.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
The QC35s or Sony M3s keep calling to me. I actually like the Bose the most, only because I found them more comfortable on my head. But man that's a lot to cough up.

Is there anything close in quality/comfort to them at a better price or is this just a case of 'you get what you pay for'

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
JDS Labs Atom, Liquid Spark, Schiit Magni 3 are your best bets for ~$100. You won't get much out of an amp though, biggest difference compared to your pc is going to be output impedance, you can plug them into your phone (which has a lot lower impedance, more comparable with an external amp) to compare.
Ok cool. When you say that I won't get much out of an amp on my pc, will both a DAC + amp make a larger difference? Or will it make a difference only with more expensive headphones?

Oct 25, 2017
Sony xm3 or Sennheiser pxc 550?

Or Bose qc35 ii?

Should I just get whatever is cheapest or does one stand out over the others?

Has this been asked every page? Lol

Edit - lol looks like it does get asked often, I'll read back a few pages

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Ok cool. When you say that I won't get much out of an amp on my pc, will both a DAC + amp make a larger difference? Or will it make a difference only with more expensive headphones?
I'd say unless you have problems with electrical noise an external dac isn't necessary. DAC, amp and for some people cables tweak that last little bit you get our of your headphones so it's a lot better to just invest in better or different sounding headphones first and only then look to upgrade the rest.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
I'd say unless you have problems with electrical noise an external dac isn't necessary. DAC, amp and for some people cables tweak that last little bit you get our of your headphones so it's a lot better to just invest in better or different sounding headphones first and only then look to upgrade the rest.
alright thanks. I guess I'll upgrade my headphones first and look for its add-ons later.

Barrett2

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Does anyone have thought on the Final Audio E5000 IEMs?

I'd like to upgrade my SE 215s to something better. Would the E5000s be meaningfully different?

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Help me choose between these custom Bose headphones
HWGxsUe.png

Or should I get the regular black ones

Oct 28, 2017
Tfw yr gf is listening to music while studying, so u politely place yr Sony MDR-1A headphones on her head, and plug 'em into her laptop so you can read yr fantasy novel in silence...

...only to have her start singing Elliott Smith songs w the headphones on.

source.gif

Oct 25, 2017
If I don't really need ANC with the XM3s, what is in that price tier that has the best sound quality and is wireless?

Closed, bluetooth, mostly alternative rock and punk, over ear

Edit - the cold weather issue with the XM3s sounds really concerning considering where I live lol

Last edited:

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Hola :)

Planning on upgrading from my August EP650s to a set of wireless earbuds. My two choices come between the Jabra Elite 65T and the RHA TrueConnects. I can get the Jabbra for £128.84 from Amazon UK and the RHA for £149.95.

My phone is the Pixel 3 Xl if it makes any bearing on the choice. Appreciate any advice given, sound quality wise I find my EP650 a little too bass heavy for my own personal taste.

Cheers in advance :)

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Hola :)

Planning on upgrading from my August EP650s to a set of wireless earbuds. My two choices come between the Jabra Elite 65T and the RHA TrueConnects. I can get the Jabbra for £128.84 from Amazon UK and the RHA for £149.95.

My phone is the Pixel 3 Xl if it makes any bearing on the choice. Appreciate any advice given, sound quality wise I find my EP650 a little too bass heavy for my own personal taste.

Cheers in advance :)

I say right now wait and see on "audiophile" true wireless and look at them more in terms of functionality and technology. Right now the Jabra Elite 65T is the best earbud out right now in terms of reliability and functionality but it's looking like the samsung galaxy buds is going to beat it handily. Both will not be bass heavy at all.

RHA will sound better though.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
I say right now wait and see on "audiophile" true wireless and look at them more in terms of functionality and technology. Right now the Jabra Elite 65T is the best earbud out right now in terms of reliability and functionality but it's looking like the samsung galaxy buds is going to beat it handily. Both will not be bass heavy at all.

RHA will sound better though.

Thanks for that. I had ordered the Jabra's but after checking out some reviews for the Samsung Galaxy Buds I've cancelled my order and pre-ordered them instead. Lack of volume controls on the buds themselves doesn't concern me too much and the latency seems better with these. Just annoying I'll have to wait till next month but hey ho. Cheers :)