• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
So the suede pads affect noise cancellaton? That's a bummer, was kinda interested in trying them out on my 1000xm3 but I want the best NC possible.
In my experience it didn't affect it much at all really, maybe marginally worse but not much. That said I got them from Massdrop since they weren't available in the UK at the time, and I noticed some people on there mentioned they felt it did affect it. One thing I will say is with the XM2 versions you had to make sure all the clips that hold the earcup on were all pushed in properly else it could affect it, not sure if the XM3 is the same.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
'Sup headphone ERA. I was wondering if anyone has experience with both the AKG Q700 and the AKG Y50, and how they compare. Looking for a new outdoor pair and I figured stick with the family.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
With Oppo out of the game and my PM-3s a mess of shredded white material what's a good replacement for close backed planers?

Last edited:

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Audeze Sine is probably the only other worthwhile closed planar. They suffer from comfort issues being on-ear though.
I'm pretty sure you can just buy extra pads for PM-3 though.

Blizniak

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a pair of ATH AD2000, they should get here next week. I'll finally be able to find out if they're as magical as people claim.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Bought a pair of ATH AD2000, they should get here next week. I'll finally be able to find out if they're as magical as people claim.

Please post your thoughts when you've had some time with them!

I'm currently using the ATH-m50x, which I've found to be a quite excellent pair of entry-level audiophile phones. But I'm looking at my next upgrade, and I'd like to to get some open phones from the next tier of quality. I generally like the neutral sound quality of the m50x, so I'd be very interested in a pair that provides an upgraded version of that balance.

Oct 28, 2017
AD2000 is discontinued, you might find some second hand samples floating around but don't count on it. Also, neither the M50X or AD2000 are close to being "neutral". The AD2000 in particular is mediocre outside of its tuning and sensitivity, the drivers aren't particularly exceptional. You're really buying it for how it presents its midrange, which I agree is quite fun.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So I got some pretty nice IEM drivers (Tin Audio T2), they use the MMCX connector for the cable, so it's (thankfully) replaceable. Unfortunately, the cables seem to die pretty fast, I've gone through two in the past year (with everyday use). The cable just wears out either at the jack or at the point where the cable splits and one side dies.

Can anyone recommend some MMCX headphone cables (or types of cables) that they've had good experiences with?

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Mentioned in another thread awhile back that I have the Sundaras with JDS The Element amp.

Before this, my "fancy" pair of headphones was the HD 598c which I got back when amazon discounted them to $100.

OMFG these headphones for the past few months has made me fall in love with sitting down and listening to music. They even sound amazing on tracks that are more bass heavy like my EDM tracks. Next weekend, I'm actually planning to show it off to my parents with their favorite music. I ripped one of my mom's Mariah Carey CDs and converted it to FLAC! Hot damn! It sounded so good it got me to sing along lol

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Anyone know a good pair of sub 30€ IEMs with inline controls and a mic? Primary use is my phone. I had a pair of Xiaomi Hybrid Pros, which served me well, but broke last week and am looking for a replacement.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's a good pair of over ear headphones that are like super duper portable? Something that folds up real small that you can stuff into a generously sized fanny pack and sounds good? I don't like using earbuds or anything like that cause they cause my ears pain.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of moving from HifiMan 400i to Sundara. Love the 400i but it's falling apart after 5 years. Will the Sundara be a noticeable upgrade, or would it be better to spring a little extra for a higher model? Also willing to consider other brands. I'm using a Schiit stack 2.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
I'm thinking of moving from HifiMan 400i to Sundara. Love the 400i but it's falling apart after 5 years. Will the Sundara be a noticeable upgrade, or would it be better to spring a little extra for a higher model? Also willing to consider other brands. I'm using a Schiit stack 2.

Don't know if this will help you since the situation is slightly different but my friend who owns the 400i tried out my sundaras a while back (and still does whenever he comes over and visits).

He said it is a noticeable improvement across the board in terms of sound and comfort. He joked that the 400i felt like a stiff tank compared to the sundaras.

However he didn't think that it was worth the upgrade. However this was back when the Sundaras were still $500 (you can get them new $325-$350 last i checked) and unlike your 400i, his is still 100% working.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey hey there ERA people. I have questions about some headphones I recently purchased. I don't know much about all of it. Very new to all this to be honest.
So I play electric drums. I have a Roland TD- 25KVX set. I recently bought some Audio-Technica HTH M50x to use with them.

I notice that the volume doesn't go up very high. Is there a way to remedy to this? Just wondering if theres any musicians out there that could help out.

Thanks

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for a set of noise canceling wireless headphones that I can use for gaming and watching TV/streaming content. Low latency is key, I guess. It would also be nice if I could use them wired when gaming.

Right now I'm looking at a good deal for the Sony WH-H900N H.EAR ON 2 WIRELESS NOISE-CANCELING, but I'm not sure if they support low latency.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, been here before about some wireless earbuds and was helped generously, but I just made a questionable purchase.

So I've just been up sold on a pair of wireless powerbeats 3 for $86 (tax included) instead of buying some wireless buds that were $30 cheaper. I want to know was that a good deal? Are these good earphones with decent and or quality sound and not overpriced brand items? Thanks!

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Hey hey there ERA people. I have questions about some headphones I recently purchased. I don't know much about all of it. Very new to all this to be honest.
So I play electric drums. I have a Roland TD- 25KVX set. I recently bought some Audio-Technica HTH M50x to use with them.

I notice that the volume doesn't go up very high. Is there a way to remedy to this? Just wondering if theres any musicians out there that could help out.

Thanks

I don't have any expertise with drum kits like yours (or musical instruments in general) but your post caught my eye. I also use the M50x, and I've had no volume issues with them- they can get quite loud, in fact.

I use them with a pretty basic DAC/Amp combo- the FX-Audio DAC-X6- and it drives them with no problem. Anything past half volume will generally roast your eardrums.

Is it possible that your kit requires you to run the outputs through an external amp before running to your headphones? Or perhaps you're bypassing the amp?

By other suggestion is to test your headphones with a separate setup. The M50x should be pretty easy to drive, so maybe you just have a defective set?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking at buying some QC35 II's last night, to the point where I submitted a best offer on eBay for a pair.

Then on a whim I Googled if they had announced / were planning anything new (since it's not using latest tech / USB-C) and what are the chances... their social media teased a new pair just yesterday.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi Era!

I used an Audio-Technica AD700x with an Astro mixamp to play my games on console while also having my PC audio there as well (music,movies,etc). I initially went with this setup because I played competitive shooters and what not and the sound-staging helped a lot.

That being said these days I play casually and went back to other gaming experiences(story-driven cinematic stuff). I also listen more to music and am basically wondering would it make sense to go for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x? I recall those being more all around and more versatile in terms of usage (AD700x had weak bass, which suited the circumstances back then). I also wanted to prevent noise leakage which is aided by the closed-back design with the M50x.

Is this a lateral movement? Are there better options at the same price range? What if I were to cap at $300?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at buying some QC35 II's last night, to the point where I submitted a best offer on eBay for a pair.

Then on a whim I Googled if they had announced / were planning anything new (since it's not using latest tech / USB-C) and what are the chances... their social media teased a new pair just yesterday.

Those have been long overdue. Hopefully they will support more codecs than SBC/AAC this time.
AAC sounds great, but nothing other than Apple devices seem to support transmitting AAC.

I've bought several stand-alone transmitters now, and have given up on the hope of getting AAC from my PC to my QC35-II.
Ideally Bose would leapfrog the competition, and instead of adding support for aptX HD like Sony has, they would also support aptX Low Latency - since no other ANC headphone that I'm aware of supports that.

Even though I was unable to find anything which supports transmitting AAC (some will receive it) I highly recommend getting a stand-alone transmitter which supports TOSLINK inputs if you use Bluetooth audio with a PC.
With a stand-alone transmitter, the PC doesn't see the Bluetooth devices at all - so you don't have to deal with sound devices appearing/disappearing as the headphones connect/disconnect/go out of range.
The Avantree transmitter I ended up with also significantly improved the range compared to typical Bluetooth dongles (but make sure your WiFi is on channel 1 if you are still using 2.4 GHz).
SBC latency is not really suitable for gaming, but I switch to wired for that anyway - I use wireless for music or videos, and video playback can use an offset to cancel out the latency.

EDIT: Well, nevermind. That post was a few days old and they already announced the new headphones - which are positioned as a tier above the QC35-II rather than a replacement for them.

No mention of supported codecs that I can see.

Last edited:

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been using my setup for a while as I moved and haven't been at my house as much lately. I almost forgot how much better it is.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure there are people rocking Sennheisers momentum true wireless here so I figured I'd ask. Any owner care to talk about the battery issues I've seen in the overwhelmingly negative reviews on Amazon?

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
So i am looking for wireless headphones but i want great or perhaps the best sound quality. Which would you guys recommend? Also, it does not matter if its on-ear or true wireless, though on-ear will seem "bulkier" to walk around with. Sound quality is what i care about tbh.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are people rocking Sennheisers momentum true wireless here so I figured I'd ask. Any owner care to talk about the battery issues I've seen in the overwhelmingly negative reviews on Amazon?
I have a pair. First of all sennheiser seem to have designed the headphones so they never really fully power down so you can connect to them fast on taking them out. This means say if you dont use them at all, they'll still drain in about a week. You can hold the button on the back of the case to stop it from trickle charging the earphones but to wake it up you need to connect it to some kind of power source via usb c sk that's hardly a solution. This isn't much of an issue if you'll be using them every day but if you use them in frequently it sucks.

Second there seemed to be an issue originally where the case would randomly drain even faster than they should. Personally I've not experienced that. May have been fixed in firmware updates i guess.

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
I have a pair. First of all sennheiser seem to have designed the headphones so they never really fully power down so you can connect to them fast on taking them out. This means say if you dont use them at all, they'll still drain in about a week. You can hold the button on the back of the case to stop it from trickle charging the earphones but to wake it up you need to connect it to some kind of power source via usb c sk that's hardly a solution. This isn't much of an issue if you'll be using them every day but if you use them in frequently it sucks.

Second there seemed to be an issue originally where the case would randomly drain even faster than they should. Personally I've not experienced that. May have been fixed in firmware updates i guess.

Yeah I would use these as my daily driver, listening to music on my way to work and back and also while hitting the gym. Been thinking that in that case I can live with this issue so I wanted to give them a chance. Had the Jabra Elite Active 65t but the constant loud hissing in the left earbud completely killed them for me.

Then I got the Powerbeats Pro which I honestly was very surprised by. I like the sound, fit and battery life / handling because of the W1 chip but they offer such bad sound isolation that I can hear so much stuff around me while commuting and in the gym that again this one aspect completely killed them for me.

The Sennheiser are coming in tomorrow.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a pair of Massdrop's Sennheiser 58X Julibees. Holy amazeballs, they are gggggoooooddddddd.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Bought some Creative Outlier Air. Let's see how much of a gimmick graphene is at this stage.
Finally got them and they're pretty great for the asking price. I expected them to sound a bit louder though, the hype got to me. For some weird reason they sound best with psychedelic music. They're also hella uncomfortable for those of us with small inner ears (but 99% of headphones hurt me)

Last edited:

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
My Aurisonics Rockets died on me yesterday. Right hand driver is completely dead.

For those who don't know. Aurisonics were bought by Fender and the rockets warranty transferred. Mine are still within the 5 year warranty.

I also just discovered the Fender Puresource Wireless earbuds. They basically look like they made wireless rockets but are much cheaper (I assume they are not hand made in Nashville out of titanium and Kevlar). Amazon warehouse have the puresource for $27. Bought them anyway.

I do hope that Fender will repair the rockets but will see what happens.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
So I just got the JDS Labs OL DAC /Atom Amp stack.

-OL DAC is great- just what I wanted. Solid build, optional optical in, and a very neutral sound.

-Atom Amp performs fine, and looks OK, but the build quality seems to be shit.
1. All-plastic housing. Just feels cheap and flimsy, especially compared to the metal fabrication used by...everyone else in the industry- including JDS! The difference in quality between my DAC and amp is like night and day.

2. Top panel isn't mounted flush with the sides of the housing. One corner sits below the level of the top of the sides of the housing, the opposite corner sits above the tops of the sides, and a third corner seems loose and can be pushed in, or flex out.

3. The internal components don't seem firmly fixed inside the housing. When I push my headphone plug in, all the switches on the front of the unit push backward into their recesses. Opposite effect when I remove the plug.

Has anyone had similar issues?

Oct 31, 2017
I got to say electrostatic headphones really is the endgame at least in my opinion. Been jumping flagship to flagship on Shure iem and they all been incremental except for this one. Can anyone recommend me a usb /mobile dac ($200 or less) better then the LG V20 as I using a Note 9 as my daily driver now and preferably using wolfson or ESS sabre as I didn't like AKM ones in Fiio's I purchased.

andylsun

Oct 29, 2017
I got to say electrostatic headphones really is the endgame at least in my opinion. Been jumping flagship to flagship on Shure iem and they all been incremental except for this one. Can anyone recommend me a usb /mobile dac ($200 or less) better then the LG V20 as I using a Note 9 as my daily driver now and preferably using wolfson or ESS sabre as I didn't like AKM ones in Fiio's I purchased.

What did you get? KSE1200?

The KSE 1500 has a ESS DAC. There's plenty of options with Fiio and Shangling that are ESS based under $200 for music players. Or do you want a DAC for your phone?

Electrostatic is my endgame for desk/home use.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here heard of the tin p1s? It's been getting a serious amount of buzz.

I haven't bought anything in years since I've found my comfort zone in sound quality but I'm interested in getting these.

Oct 31, 2017
What did you get? KSE1200?

The KSE 1500 has a ESS DAC. There's plenty of options with Fiio and Shangling that are ESS based under $200 for music players. Or do you want a DAC for your phone?

Electrostatic is my endgame for desk/home use.

I got the kse1200 and someone recommended me to get the shanling m0 instead of looking for a USB dac.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. I got the Sony WH-1000XM3 using the promo they're doing with the new Xperia. Problem is... these things are $300+. And I am so disappointed.

After my revelation with $20 headphones, I finally decided to take the plunge off the deep end into getting these bc of the promo. But they're such a letdown. Comfort and style seems to be what the price tag is for. Songs constantly skip or cut out over Bluetooth, even with the 'focus on signal quality' setting, and wired loses all the playback control gestures which are more of a gimmick than they are helpful. The ambient noise/noise cancelling stuff is neat but mostly gimmicky as wel. Switching from devices (laptop, phone) is a hassle that takes longer than it should because of limit on connectable devices. Only time I've noticed a difference with sound quality vs my old headphones and earbuds is with an electronic track or two.

What am I doing wrong? Should I just return these or sell them? For the price it's been an awful experience :(

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. I got the Sony WH-1000XM3 using the promo they're doing with the new Xperia. Problem is... these things are $300+. And I am so disappointed.

After my revelation with $20 headphones, I finally decided to take the plunge off the deep end into getting these bc of the promo. But they're such a letdown. Comfort and style seems to be what the price tag is for. Songs constantly skip or cut out over Bluetooth, even with the 'focus on signal quality' setting, and wired loses all the playback control gestures which are more of a gimmick than they are helpful. The ambient noise/noise cancelling stuff is neat but mostly gimmicky as wel. Switching from devices (laptop, phone) is a hassle that takes longer than it should because of limit on connectable devices. Only time I've noticed a difference with sound quality vs my old headphones and earbuds is with an electronic track or two.

What am I doing wrong? Should I just return these or sell them? For the price it's been an awful experience :(
What are you connecting them to and where are you when it's cutting out? I have the older model, the XM2's and I've only had them cut out if I go out of range. I've not heard the XM3's any worse for it either. I will say if you're in somewhere busy, that can have a tangible effect on the bluetooth signal due to congestion though, and that's not entirely the fault of the headphones.

Connecting to different devices is definitely a flaw, something that I can't believe Sony still hasn't fixed. It's an issue with the XM2's as well. I'd hope they'll fix it with the inevitable XM4's this year but it's unlikely. I don't mind the touch controls on the XM2, but admittedly I've heard the XM3 touch controls have an issue with cold weather that can cause them to go haywire.

I don't think the noise cancelling is a gimmick at all. It cuts down certain background noises(mostly lower frequencies) quite substantially. Perfect if you're travelling on airplanes a lot, or work in a noisy environment. It won't drown out peoples voices that much, but I think that's by design. If you don't happen to be in those environments that much, then yes, it's a bit of a redundant feature.

The thing with bluetooth noise cancelling headphones is, you are paying for those features as well. They're not going to sound like $300 wired headphones. A better way to think about them is your paying half of the price for the audio(even then audio is very subjective - you may not like the sound signature), and the other half is the bluetooth/battery/noise cancelling etc. So if you aren't using those extra features, then yeah, they'll look dear for what they are. If you don't have need for bluetooth, or noise cancelling then you're better off selling and just getting wired headphones I'd say. I only use my bluetooth headphones for ease when I'm away from home, otherwise I have much better headphones for use in my house.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
What are you connecting them to and where are you when it's cutting out? I have the older model, the XM2's and I've only had them cut out if I go out of range. I've not heard the XM3's any worse for it either. I will say if you're in somewhere busy, that can have a tangible effect on the bluetooth signal due to congestion though, and that's not entirely the fault of the headphones.

Connecting to different devices is definitely a flaw, something that I can't believe Sony still hasn't fixed. It's an issue with the XM2's as well. I'd hope they'll fix it with the inevitable XM4's this year but it's unlikely. I don't mind the touch controls on the XM2, but admittedly I've heard the XM3 touch controls have an issue with cold weather that can cause them to go haywire.

I don't think the noise cancelling is a gimmick at all. It cuts down certain background noises(mostly lower frequencies) quite substantially. Perfect if you're travelling on airplanes a lot, or work in a noisy environment. It won't drown out peoples voices that much, but I think that's by design. If you don't happen to be in those environments that much, then yes, it's a bit of a redundant feature.

The thing with bluetooth noise cancelling headphones is, you are paying for those features as well. They're not going to sound like $300 wired headphones. A better way to think about them is your paying half of the price for the audio(even then audio is very subjective - you may not like the sound signature), and the other half is the bluetooth/battery/noise cancelling etc. So if you aren't using those extra features, then yeah, they'll look dear for what they are. If you don't have need for bluetooth, or noise cancelling then you're better off selling and just getting wired headphones I'd say. I only use my bluetooth headphones for ease when I'm away from home, otherwise I have much better headphones for use in my house.

Been using them with my OnePlus 3T, in my apartment. Have the phone in my pocket or otherwise next to me and get it cutting out a bunch. At home and out walking too. Might be the business like you say? :(

The noise cancelling does work nicely, being hard on it all around because of my issues haha. I appreciate the insight, I think I would've been better off with a wired set, but the promo got me! Not sure what I'll do with them for now.

I've never experienced my XM3's dropping out at all to be honest.

Wha?! Lucky! I've got my phone next to me on the bed as I type this on my laptop and had it cut for a second already. Maybe mine's no good? At least it looks and feels good.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I've been rocking my 598SE and ATH50x for a few years now, been looking for a headset to do wireless gaming on. While I love these two (for different reasons) I wanted some truely wireless and sounded good. I went through a couple of pairs of wireless headset all kinda suck. My little brother had an astro A50 headset that he said was broken and it sat i his room for about 2 years. Decided what the heck, if I can repair these it would be a pretty solid set for free. A few hour later I got it working and it sound good... damn good. Wold never spend the money on them, but for free cant beat that.

Oct 29, 2017
Been using them with my OnePlus 3T, in my apartment. Have the phone in my pocket or otherwise next to me and get it cutting out a bunch. At home and out walking too. Might be the business like you say? :(

The noise cancelling does work nicely, being hard on it all around because of my issues haha. I appreciate the insight, I think I would've been better off with a wired set, but the promo got me! Not sure what I'll do with them for now.

Wha?! Lucky! I've got my phone next to me on the bed as I type this on my laptop and had it cut for a second already. Maybe mine's no good? At least it looks and feels good.

That definitely doesn't sound right. Have you tried connecting to a different device to rule out your phone being the issue? You should be able to walk a fair away away from your phone without it breaking up.

I'd probably get in touch with Sony to be honest. I've had a few different Bluetooth headphones and none have been as reliable as these, to the point where I honestly can't remember a single drop.

One thing that might be worth a mention is that I'm on iOS. I've had Android for the most part and i don't think it was as stable as iOS.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
That definitely doesn't sound right. Have you tried connecting to a different device to rule out your phone being the issue? You should be able to walk a fair away away from your phone without it breaking up.

I'd probably get in touch with Sony to be honest. I've had a few different Bluetooth headphones and none have been as reliable as these, to the point where I honestly can't remember a single drop.

One thing that might be worth a mention is that I'm on iOS. I've had Android for the most part and i don't think it was as stable as iOS.

Alright, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it out with my laptop for a bit to see if it does the same stuff. Just today while I was walking to work I turned my head to check for traffic and the dang thing cut out for a second! Hopefully if it is just a messed up unit I can get it swapped haha

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

I'm on Android and I had the same stable experience with the XM2.
If you're in an apartment block with everyone using their own routers it can cause congestion as Bluetooth uses the 2.4ghz band like many routers use for wifi.

That all said, I don't think that should be enough to cause issues with you right next to the device with the phone set to prioritize signal.

As the other poster said I'd try with another device if you can. Otherwise you could also try forcing a different codec on Android to see if it changes anything. To do that while your headphones are connected you need to go into the developer options(usually you have to go to the build number and tap it 7 times for the developer options to show up on your phone), and scroll all the way down to where it says bluetooth audio codec, click on it to get a selection list of the ones that are supported by your phone. The XM3 support SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD and LDAC so make sure you only try those. LDAC and aptX HD are the higher quality codecs but require more bandwidth so they're more likely to cause cut outs.

Failing that all you can do is talk to Sony about it, the bluetooth chip could be faulty.