• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
It isn't just the clamp. You can't not ignore the weight after a couple of hours. It's a bit hard to find a similar replacement because 1990 is kind of the champion of $500 price bracket. HD660S should be the closest.
For me the weight in itself is not a problem, just the clamp. The 1990s specifically start hurting my left ear after long enough use. It's like the ear becomes inflamed and actually hurts to touch. The pain goes away in a couple of minutes after removing the headphones. I have a pair of >10 year old DT880s with near zero clamp and those are totally fine. Also DT770s that have a decent amount of clamp but less than the 1990s. I had a bit of discomfort with the DT770, but mostly fixed it by switching pads to 3rd party memory foam sheepskin so ears have more room.

It's weird headphone manufacturers insist on defaulting to so much clamp. If it is necessary for some uses, they should offer looser variants, replacement parts or even an adjustment mechanism.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
For me the weight in itself is not a problem, just the clamp. The 1990s specifically start hurting my left ear after long enough use. It's like the ear becomes inflamed and actually hurts to touch. The pain goes away in a couple of minutes after removing the headphones. I have a pair of >10 year old DT880s with near zero clamp and those are totally fine. Also DT770s that have a decent amount of clamp but less than the 1990s. I had a bit of discomfort with the DT770, but mostly fixed it by switching pads to 3rd party memory foam sheepskin so ears have more room.

It's weird headphone manufacturers insist on defaulting to so much clamp. If it is necessary for some uses, they should offer looser variants, replacement parts or even an adjustment mechanism.
I started putting headphones over sofa pillow overnight and it helps with the clamp. See if it helps.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Put me in the "god damn these are tight" camp for the 1990s. I upgraded from 990s today and I can't tell if I just stretched those things the fuck out or if the 1990s are genuinely just that much tighter.

Great headphones, tho. And by great, I mean terrible, because I keep thinking there's something wrong with them because I keep hearing crackling noises, and realize, oh, that's just the audio source I'm listening to.

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
I started putting headphones over sofa pillow overnight and it helps with the clamp. See if it helps.
I have already had them over cardboard boxes for days, and have stretched so far the overhead padding started suffering, but the steel is so springy it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. It would be nice if the padding was detachable like on 770/880/990 Pro so you could twist the steel all by itself.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
So, Amazon announced their wireless earbuds today, dual drivers (with Bose noise cancellation) for $130. Anker announced six wireless earbuds, including the high end dual driver Liberty 2 Pro ($150).

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I've been rocking a pair of Sony MDR-V600 for probably 10+ years now, and thought maybe it's about time to upgrade to something new. I personally prefer closed to open cans, and am looking for something that can fold somewhat to be easier to travel with. I'm also looking to get into the wireless game to make it easier for travel + listening to stuff as I work around the house.

So far, the Sony WM-1000XM3s seem very appealing to me. They felt very comfortable, but I have not had a chance to listen to them enough to accurately judge the sound quality. I also tried on the Bose 700, but they felt less comfortable to me. Those two headsets should give you an idea of the price range I'm looking at, are there any other headsets that I should be considering?

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are over ear, closed back, with a very large soundstage, excellent imaging, and good low end. Any recommendations under $500?

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Let us know how it goes!
The KZ ATR's just arrived and I'm testing them now. Pretty amazing sound for $10. Plenty of detail and more soundstage than my Xiaomi Piston 2's. Bass response isn't as good but I've got memory foam tips coming in the mail which might help with that.

I'm tempted to pick up KZ ZS10 Pro's just to see what KZ's top of the line model sounds like. They must be pretty great if a $10 pair like the ATR's sound this good.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The KZ ATR's just arrived and I'm testing them now. Pretty amazing sound for $10. Plenty of detail and more soundstage than my Xiaomi Piston 2's. Bass response isn't as good but I've got memory foam tips coming in the mail which might help with that.

I'm tempted to pick up KZ ZS10 Pro's just to see what KZ's top of the line model sounds like. They must be pretty great if a $10 pair like the ATR's sound this good.
Glad to hear you like them! And yeah, they're pretty great. I haven't dipped into the higher priced sets since the ATRs have satisfied me, but let us know if you do.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Damn these KZ ATR's would be perfect for somebody with kids. They sound great and if you break em, who cares? They are like $10.

SaiST

Oct 25, 2017
I've got this FiiO E17 headphone DAC/Amp that I purchased alongside a FiiO E09K Amp/Dock, and an AKG Q701 almost six years ago.

I know the E17 had some compatibility issues with most Android phones back then, but now I'm wondering if it can be properly used with my Note10+, and what exactly I'd need to get optimal sound out of my Q701's with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So far, the Sony WM-1000XM3s seem very appealing to me. They felt very comfortable, but I have not had a chance to listen to them enough to accurately judge the sound quality. I also tried on the Bose 700, but they felt less comfortable to me. Those two headsets should give you an idea of the price range I'm looking at, are there any other headsets that I should be considering?
Try the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 3.

statha

Feb 15, 2018
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are over ear, closed back, with a very large soundstage, excellent imaging, and good low end. Any recommendations under $500?

Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro - 250ohm maybe?

Not sure about the stage considering they're limited by the closed back...

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
After much deliberation, I landed on the ATH-M50xBT for $130. I could not justify the additional $200+ for similar sound/comfort with the only big addition being active noise canceling.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've got a request. A over-ear about $300-$500 with a big soundstage and slightly boosted bass. Any ideas? Thanks.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have to give a shout out to RME and their customer support. I had an issue where the device would produce a pop sound when switching from 96Hz/24bit to 48Hz/16bit files (RME ADI 2 DAC / specific Problem with older Macs, mine is eight years old now), they wrote a custom firmware for me to test in a matter of days. The fix worked and was rolled out as part of their next update (adding features every couple of weeks it feels like).

First I was kinda annoyed at the problem even happening, now Im "RME for life".

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought a pair of Philips Fidelio X2HRs, which are down to £109.99 at Amazon UK.

Having read a lot of good things about them, I couldn't resist at that price. Likely they're reduced as the Fidelio X3s have just been announced for release early next year, but since those will - I assume - be nowhere near as cheap, this deal seemed like a bargain.

Looking forward to trying out my first pair of high-end headphones!

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the double post, my Fidelio X2HRs arrived just now and I have a very dumb question:

I bought a Creative Play!3 to connect them to my PC, and when I've installed the software, it says this:

hH8xLg1.png

From what I can see the Fidelios have an impedance of 30 Ohms - given the warning about setting it to high gain, is the fact even normal gain starts at 32 and doesn't go as low as 30 going to affect the headphones at all? I mean I'm presuming it won't damage them, but I thought it was best to ask!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Sorry for the double post, my Fidelio X2HRs arrived just now and I have a very dumb question:

I bought a Creative Play!3 to connect them to my PC, and when I've installed the software, it says this:

hH8xLg1.png

From what I can see the Fidelios have an impedance of 30 Ohms - given the warning about setting it to high gain, is the fact even normal gain starts at 32 and doesn't go as low as 30 going to affect the headphones at all? I mean I'm presuming it won't damage them, but I thought it was best to ask!
You will be fine on Normal.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know of a case, pouch or bag big enough to fit the Philips Fidelio X2s? One that can ship to the UK, if possible.

They didn't come with any form of bag or case, and looking at the measurements on the Philips website (Height 31cm, Width 25.5cm, Length 26.5cm), all of the cases I've looked at on Amazon UK seem too small.

Wat

Dec 10, 2017
Does anyone know of a case, pouch or bag big enough to fit the Philips Fidelio X2s? One that can ship to the UK, if possible.

They didn't come with any form of bag or case, and looking at the measurements on the Philips website (Height 31cm, Width 25.5cm, Length 26.5cm), all of the cases I've looked at on Amazon UK seem too small.
I don't have the X2's anymore so can't check, but I'm pretty sure I have carried them in Beyerdynamic nylon bag at some point. Cheap and indestructible, no padding but sturdy phones like Beyers and X2's don't need padding. Beyer's hardcase might also fit. Check them out from Thomann UK.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the X2's anymore so can't check, but I'm pretty sure I have carried them in Beyerdynamic nylon bag at some point. Cheap and indestructible, no padding but sturdy phones like Beyers and X2's don't need padding. Beyer's hardcase might also fit. Check them out from Thomann UK.
Thanks! I'll take a look at that.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I just thought I'd mention I bought some memory foam tips for the KZ-ATR and this really helps with bass. When you get a proper seal it really brings out the low end. The tips I bought were only $2 imports from China. Totally worth it.
Good to hear!
I've been on the stock tips, but may need to try them out

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Good to hear!
I've been on the stock tips, but may need to try them out
They aren't bass heavy earphones so I don't want to oversell it too much but they definitely sound a little warmer with memory foam tips.

These are the cheapies I bought. There are better brands out there (e.g. comply) but these do fine for $2.
s-l300.jpg

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi, guys. I'm looking for some headphones to play games but I'm kinda lost. I can't buy a high end one since my budget is limited, I searched for some options and the best I came up with were the HyperX Stinger Core, Corsair HS50 and Logitech G430 (I don't buy Razer products).

Anyway, I'm kinda torn since I actually don't need a mic, so maybe a non-gamer headphone would be a better option in my case? The Superlux HD681 seens like a good choice but I'm not sure.

Whay are my best options? What should I do?

deoee

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I own Hifiman HE-400i with the old screw-cables and they recently broke.
So now I'm sitting here and using my Gaming Headset for music because I can not find any cables in Germany for these Headphones - does anyone know where to get new ones?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I have a Fulla Schitt powering my HD6XX off my PC via USB. In general for best sound, do I want to have my PC volume high/Schitt low or PC low/Schitt high? Does it matter?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I own Hifiman HE-400i with the old screw-cables and they recently broke.
So now I'm sitting here and using my Gaming Headset for music because I can not find any cables in Germany for these Headphones - does anyone know where to get new ones?
I have this problem too. I usually just have to find some overpriced ones on ebay.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Focal Elegia were just on sale for $499 and I'm sure they'll be back on sale soon. But if you want to buy now go with the Shure SRH1540 or Sony MDR1A

Last edited:
OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, guys. I'm looking for some headphones to play games but I'm kinda lost. I can't buy a high end one since my budget is limited, I searched for some options and the best I came up with were the HyperX Stinger Core, Corsair HS50 and Logitech G430 (I don't buy Razer products).

Anyway, I'm kinda torn since I actually don't need a mic, so maybe a non-gamer headphone would be a better option in my case? The Superlux HD681 seens like a good choice but I'm not sure.

Whay are my best options? What should I do?
I'd save for something like the Sennheiser 559 or Audio Technica AD700x or Philips SHP9500

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the anker liberty 2 pro's since i wanted something a bit smaller to carry to work and i got in on the preorder pricing. pretty damnned impressed so far, and the unit i got seems perfect, none of the hissing reported by some. bass is great, soundstage is good and clear vocals are clear and detailed, and the battery life so far is really good.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well today has been an expensive day for audio equipment.
Nothing too fancy, but I bought a PC37X, two extra MH755 and the pieces to mod one with MMCX cables.
I've had one MH755 for two weeks or so but haven't really listened music until today and made me buy the extra ones and the cables. They're so good.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any thoughts for noise cancelling options mainly for plane use? I have some beats studio 3 from an apple back to school promo but haven't opened them yet. So that is one option. Option 2 is selling them and putting the money towards something else

Are the Bose QC and Sony MX2 still king of the hill? Are there any good ANC earbuds that will be up to the challenge of planes? Earbuds would have the advantage of being used more during normal day to day