• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the DT 1990 Pro's on a whim with full intention on returning them but.. damn I'm in love. I don't think I'll be looking at any other headphones any time soon. The clamp is tight but with the "A" pads it isn't as bad and they are starting to loosen up. I came from the TR-X00 so I thought I would miss the bass but I do not. I feel like these have great bass when I need great bass. Next I'm onto finding a great pairing amp. For some reason I keep looking at the massdrop ZDT Jr.

Not sure how the 1990's respond to amps but that is a new adventure for me to find out.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
My Sony Gold headset's ear pads are flaking off so I want to replace them with a proper wireless set of cans that is connected directly to the TV rather than through a console dongle. Any suggestions? Do I need an amp?

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Howdy folks. I've been using a refurb set of Sennheiser Amperior cans for a few years now, bought on a whim since it's good for non-amp use. Unfortunately I've run into problems maintaining the headrest padding which has started to lose adhesion and slip off. What are some general DIY fixes for replacing glue or headbands altogether for on-ear headphones like these?

Drop's reduced their 58x Jubilee price to $135 (from $160) until tomorrow, and I'd like to get a more traditional, well-balanced open-back in case the Amperior gives out. Anyone got thoughts on this model or a better competitor? I generally favor punchier, bass-heavy sound with or without amp, except for movies/TV where I prefer using an older, more neutral Sennheiser model.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Howdy folks. I've been using a refurb set of Sennheiser Amperior cans for a few years now, bought on a whim since it's good for non-amp use. Unfortunately I've run into problems maintaining the headrest padding which has started to lose adhesion and slip off. What are some general DIY fixes for replacing glue or headbands altogether for on-ear headphones like these?

Drop's reduced their 58x Jubilee price to $135 (from $160) until tomorrow, and I'd like to get a more traditional, well-balanced open-back in case the Amperior gives out. Anyone got thoughts on this model or a better competitor? I generally favor punchier, bass-heavy sound with or without amp, except for movies/TV where I prefer using an older, more neutral Sennheiser model.
I'd also strongly consider the HE4XX

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, got the HD 6XX but don't really notice an increase in quality compared to those $8 Panasonic earbuds. I think I need to buy that amp...

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Is this is your first pair of audiophile headphones, then it may take a while for you to know what to listen for.
Also those headphones really sound much better amped and aren't very efficient. I would have went with something a bit more efficient if you weren't planning on using an amp at all.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HiFiMan HE6se is currently available for $700, is there any competitor that I should consider before pulling the trigger on those? I was previously going to go with Sundara, but at the price I don't mind taking a step up.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So yeah, got the HD 6XX but don't really notice an increase in quality compared to those $8 Panasonic earbuds. I think I need to buy that amp...

What do you use to listen to your music? Smartphone, PC, etc? A decent DAC will probably help. Amps help too, but that's more of a volume issue, although a headphone does sound better if properly driven.

And are you streaming or listening to mp3s? Usually bitrates of 320 kbps or higher sound fine. Anything less won't sound that great with higher end headphones.

Someone recommended a JDS Labs amp; their OL DAC would pair nicely with that.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
HiFiMan HE6se is currently available for $700, is there any competitor that I should consider before pulling the trigger on those? I was previously going to go with Sundara, but at the price I don't mind taking a step up.
Quad ERA-1 and the Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow for sure, they're supposedly the best in the range.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Is this is your first pair of audiophile headphones, then it may take a while for you to know what to listen for.

Yeah

What do you use to listen to your music? Smartphone, PC, etc? A decent DAC will probably help. Amps help too, but that's more of a volume issue, although a headphone does sound better if properly driven.

And are you streaming or listening to mp3s? Usually bitrates of 320 kbps or higher sound fine. Anything less won't sound that great with higher end headphones.

Someone recommended a JDS Labs amp; their OL DAC would pair nicely with that.

I've only used them on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1) and TV (an old one that's like 10+ years) thus far. I don't have my PC built yet so I haven't been able to test them out on something more powerful. And I mostly use Spotify, though sometimes YouTube.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah

I've only used them on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1) and TV (an old one that's like 10+ years) thus far. I don't have my PC built yet so I haven't been able to test them out on something more powerful. And I mostly use Spotify, though sometimes YouTube.

Yeah, good headphones will magnify the flaws of low bitrate or poorly mixed music. With Spotify, you can adjust the quality setting to very high and see how that sounds.

Also, it'll take time for your ears to adjust to the new headphones, since you've used a different pair for a long time.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Highest quality Spotify is transparent. I really wouldn't worry about DACs unless there's audible electro-magnetic interference. Amp power and its output impedance (because most solid-state amps are "clean enough" these days) are more important.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Quad ERA-1 and the Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow for sure, they're supposedly the best in the range.
I ended up ordering a HiFiMan Ananda open box for $750.

I'll be using my old Modi 2 + Magni 2 stack and see how it goes. Hopefully it's enough since it looks like Ananda doesn't require much power.

My current headphones are the older 400i model, so I'm curious to hear the difference.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up ordering a HiFiMan Ananda open box for $750.

I'll be using my old Modi 2 + Magni 2 stack and see how it goes. Hopefully it's enough since it looks like Ananda doesn't require much power.

My current headphones are the older 400i model, so I'm curious to hear the difference.
If you're after neutrality you made the right choice, I just tend to favor warmer sounding headphones

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of warm, dark sounding headphones, any top picks in the.. Let's say 100-500e price range? Specifically looking for closed, but open is fine, too. I'm interested in branching out a bit and trying a bunch of different cans. Over months and years, of course, don't have the money to buy piles of them just like that.

I want to own the Audeze LCD2's one day.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of warm, dark sounding headphones, any top picks in the.. Let's say 100-500e price range? Specifically looking for closed, but open is fine, too. I'm interested in branching out a bit and trying a bunch of different cans. Over months and years, of course, don't have the money to buy piles of them just like that.

I want to own the Audeze LCD2's one day.
TR-X00
Shure SRH 1540
Focal Elegia
Sony MDR-1A
Master & Dynamic MH40

Last edited:

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, good headphones will magnify the flaws of low bitrate or poorly mixed music. With Spotify, you can adjust the quality setting to very high and see how that sounds.

Also, it'll take time for your ears to adjust to the new headphones, since you've used a different pair for a long time.

Oh, I didn't know you could do that with Spotify. Thanks for the tip!

Highest quality Spotify is transparent. I really wouldn't worry about DACs unless there's audible electro-magnetic interference. Amp power and its output impedance (because most solid-state amps are "clean enough" these days) are more important.

I'll definitely look into that amp you recommended!

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Approaching one year since I got my Sundaras and JDS Element. Before that I was on the HD598c with no amp.

I still have moments where my mind is blown with the sound even when I listen to EDM (bass heavy) which isn't exactly what the Sundaras aim for.

I just listened to Satisfaction -Benny Benassi at random and was going "WTF??!! This track made this sound at this part ?!" lol

Last edited:

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Reposting here from Audio Era thread:

I find traditional (overhead) headphones uncomfortable so I was searching the internets for behind-the-neck, over-ear solutions.
Apparently audiotechnica produced some models a few years back which would fit my needs but they seem to be out of production.

So after a hour or so I tried to open r/headphones to ask for quick suggestions...and I discovered this article:

The Verge: The Wonderful World of Chinese Hi-Fi

Inside that article there's a link to a audio review site specialized in IEMs from various Chinese manufacturers...and I had about 30€ of amazon credit.

Suffice to say that I ended up ordering a pair of reasonably priced IEMs (the RevoNext QT5, for the record).

I can't wait to try them and see how they compare to my "traditional" headphones (Superlux 681).

Is there anyone else fascinated by the chi-fi world?

(FAKEDIT: I got the QT5 yesterday and I already lost a couple hours of sleep because I could not stop listening to music. Also tried them in gaming - Destiny 2- and it's like I suddenly went from 1080p to 4k...in audio of course. Ended up ordering another model from another brand - this time I got the KZ ZSN - just to try and see if I was very lucky with my first choice. Will gift the best one to my SO. My God what I've been missing without even knowing.).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anandas came in, so far really like them. I am using a Modi 2 + Magni 2 stack and I'm thinking a Jotunheim might be my next upgrade.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I need a new set of headphones for my PC for gaming. Maybe some movies. Not music. I have headphones and speaker setup for that.
I want a neutral sound but deep bass for action games. I think I want wired and will likely get a Fiio E10K to drive them. If necessary.
Budget is anything from 200$ to 1000$ if it needs to go that high. I will only buy anything I can listen to first and will compare. If it is worth the money I will pay it.
Suggestions?

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I need a new set of headphones for my PC for gaming. Maybe some movies. Not music. I have headphones and speaker setup for that.
I want a neutral sound but deep bass for action games. I think I want wired and will likely get a Fiio E10K to drive them. If necessary.
Budget is anything from 200$ to 1000$ if it needs to go that high. I will only buy anything I can listen to first and will compare. If it is worth the money I will pay it.
Suggestions?
Closed/Open?

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter. I will not disturb anyone where I sit and I do not have much sound I need to block out either. So Noise Cancelling is not needed either.
I prefer Over Ear not On Ear.
On the lower end of the budget I'd check out the Nad Viso Hp50 or Sony MDR-1A

For a little more I like the Shure SRH1540

And if you're gonna break the bank the Mr Speakers Aeon/Aeon Flow or Quad ERA-1 would be my suggestion.

Basically for movies you probably want something fairly U-shaped in sound.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
On the lower end of the budget I'd check out the Nad Viso Hp50 or Sony MDR-1A

For a little more I like the Shure SRH1540

And if you're gonna break the bank the Mr Speakers Aeon/Aeon Flow or Quad ERA-1 would be my suggestion.

Basically for movies you probably want something fairly U-shaped in sound.
Thanks. The Mr Speakers Aeon and Quad ERA-1 are not available in any store close to me from what I can see online. And I want to try before buy.
The Shure SRH1540 are in a store pretty close by that also have a lot of other to compare with.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. The Mr Speakers Aeon and Quad ERA-1 are not available in any store close to me from what I can see online. And I want to try before buy.
The Shure SRH1540 are in a store pretty close by that also have a lot of other to compare with.
If you want to share what they have I can tell you what I've tried and like as well.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to share what they have I can tell you what I've tried and like as well.
Sure. It is in Swedish but name of headphones are the same so should be easy. Also descriptions are in English most of the time.
You can basically divide the price by 10 to get the price in USD. Tax included.
Closed

Open

Of course I will not know exactly which headphones are available to be tested. I doubt they have a demo version of all of their headphones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. It is in Swedish but name of headphones are the same so should be easy. Also descriptions are in English most of the time.
You can basically divide the price by 10 to get the price in USD. Tax included.
Closed

Open

Of course I will not know exactly which headphones are available to be tested. I doubt they have a demo version of all of their headphones.

They have a pretty good selection I'd try out these if they have them:

SRH 1540, Denon D5200/7200, Beyerdynamic DT 990, Beyerdynamic 1770, Beyerdynamic DT 1990, Blue Lola, Blue Sadie, Blue Ella, Vmoda M-100/M200, Ultrasone HFI 780 (a steal if you can live with their crazy clamp force),

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else jump on the Tin T4? I was lucky to get the super early bird and can't wait for them to come in, I love my T2s and these are even better.

Next step, SMSL SP200 Balanced THX amp.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Went out and bought the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xs. They're just a bit over a hundred euros so I thought, fuck it, might as well give them a try.

First impressions are super positive. The cups are pretty small and the clamping force a bit high, but despite that they seem comfortable enough and if things start getting to be a bit much, I'll just stretch them out and buy bigger, nicer cushions for it. The Brainwavz replacements come highly recommended, apparently.

I love how they sound. The bass is fucking massive, but I don't feel like I'm losing any (well, much) detail in the mids and highs, though admittedly I'm not sure if I could even tell unless things were real dire lol. They definitely have that feeling of BEING THERE that my HD598s have and DT770 Pros lack - for some reason, the sound in the latter is sort of.. Hollow. Like there's something between the drivers and my ears. In fact, I'm enjoying these to the extent that I'm kind of wondering if my DT's are somehow defective or something.

I also tried a few games of Modern Warfare and feel like I'm having a considerably easier time locating sounds around me. With the DT770's I'd hear the footsteps, but I'd have no idea where they're coming from.

Oh, and the passive noise isolation seems pretty incredible, too. Definitely gonna be my go-to for gaming, my PC can get pretty damn loud.

But the real test will be over the next weeks and months, of course. Impossible to say right away how I'll feel about these later.

Last edited:

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Suggestions?

AKG k7xx with an e10k is perfect for gaming. Slight bass emphasis, wide sound stage, driven extremely well by an e10k, well within budget, and there is really no reason to spend much more for very little to no improvement. If you don't like it, return it. Limiting yourself to local stores will be extremely limiting unless you live by a boutique or have friends with the gear already.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
AKG k7xx with an e10k is perfect for gaming. Slight bass emphasis, wide sound stage, driven extremely well by an e10k, well within budget, and there is really no reason to spend much more for very little to no improvement. If you don't like it, return it. Limiting yourself to local stores will be extremely limiting unless you live by a boutique or have friends with the gear already.
Returning it from Sweden to USA will be costly and not that easy. I have had some cheaper AKG headphones before that I really liked so I will try AKG headphones and compare.
The AKG K712 Pro seems to be close and some even like it more so will try one for sure.

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using the Senn HD58xx with a GSX1000 specifically for PC gaming and have been very impressed. The 7.1 virtualization from the GSX1000 is pretty mindblowing, really night and day in games like Modern Warfare when toggling. Actually I never bother switching it off when playing most games.

I'm not sure how that combo is considered among the audiophile community(I'm pretty new with all this), but its a massive step up from the 'gaming' headset I had prior. I'm still not quite sure if the GSX1000 is considered a proper 'Amp' or more of a DAC, even if it is marketed as both. I imagine there are stronger Amp alternatives, but the 7.1 mode is really the selling point here and it works exceptionally well(for 150ohm drivers or less at least). I think my only issue is the bass response is a bit low, but that may be more a factor of my specific headphones. Reviews and impressions of the 58xx did warn that they have stronger emphasis on the high and mids.

This combo also has highlighted the overall quality of audio mixing in certain games over others. Like Modern Warfare is probably the most impressive audio mixing I've ever heard in a videogame. It really is just astounding. Meanwhile Jedi Fallen Order is just ok. It's functional, but toggling through its various sound options and nothing impresses. Less clean and a bit muddled if you ask me. Control however, sounds very clean and crisp in contrast, though much of that audio is ambience. FFXIV, I actually prefer to stick to using my PC speakers over headphones surprisingly.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Thoughts on the Tin P1 and the Shuoer Tapes? I bought the Tin T4s and got a $20 off certificate to use the Linsoul store and thinking of buying either one.

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
Returning it from Sweden to USA will be costly and not that easy. I have had some cheaper AKG headphones before that I really liked so I will try AKG headphones and compare.
The AKG K712 Pro seems to be close and some even like it more so will try one for sure.
If the headphones are still under warranty Massdrop will provide a prepaid label to send it back to them. Even if you buy stuff from the EU warehouse.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Are there generally black friday sales on high end headphones in US? This is the first year I'm looking to upgrade either my Senn HD598's or Shure SE215's. Already have a Schiit dac+amp stack at home and I think my 598s are the weakest link.

Also what's the deal with Campfire IEMs? Haven't done much research yet but I'm reading that they're just subpar IEMs that are marketed well (whatever that means), and don't justify the cost.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the Senn HD58xx with a GSX1000 specifically for PC gaming and have been very impressed. The 7.1 virtualization from the GSX1000 is pretty mindblowing, really night and day in games like Modern Warfare when toggling. Actually I never bother switching it off when playing most games.

I'm not sure how that combo is considered among the audiophile community(I'm pretty new with all this), but its a massive step up from the 'gaming' headset I had prior. I'm still not quite sure if the GSX1000 is considered a proper 'Amp' or more of a DAC, even if it is marketed as both. I imagine there are stronger Amp alternatives, but the 7.1 mode is really the selling point here and it works exceptionally well(for 150ohm drivers or less at least). I think my only issue is the bass response is a bit low, but that may be more a factor of my specific headphones. Reviews and impressions of the 58xx did warn that they have stronger emphasis on the high and mids.

This combo also has highlighted the overall quality of audio mixing in certain games over others. Like Modern Warfare is probably the most impressive audio mixing I've ever heard in a videogame. It really is just astounding. Meanwhile Jedi Fallen Order is just ok. It's functional, but toggling through its various sound options and nothing impresses. Less clean and a bit muddled if you ask me. Control however, sounds very clean and crisp in contrast, though much of that audio is ambience. FFXIV, I actually prefer to stick to using my PC speakers over headphones surprisingly.
While I don't own either that device or the headphones, I've been using a headphones + virtual surround dac/amp combination for years now and wouldn't ever go back for gaming. The only headset comparable is maybe the Audeze Mobius, but thats quite pricey.

I've heard really good things about the GSX1000, the only reason I didn't consider it was because I play on consoles as well, so I've been using devices that work via optical as well as USB. First I had an Astro Mixamp and then nearly a year ago I swapped to a Sound BlasterX g6.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Just ordered the Philips Fidelio X2HR (new) for €120,- on amazon! It's probably a side-grade to my HD58x but i couldn't resist with that price.

When i tried to get one 2 years ago it was selling for 250+.

Anyways i'm really excited to hear what it sounds like and how different it is from my HD58x and my Sony MDR-1R.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Just got the HD599's and they sound way better than my old ATH M50X's

Kinda concerned with the longevity of this thing though; it doesn't feel as sturdy.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
So i'm looking to retire my Sennheiser 598cs (closed back) that i've had for a long time now but don't know what to get so I'm here for some recommendations now that black friday and cyber monday are looming near.

I was considering just upgrading to the Sennheiser 599s if i find nothing else.

My budget is around 100-250$, i prefer closed back as i commute a lot and i would like it to have an in built mic or atleast the ability to replace the cable to one that does have a mic since they'd double as my gaming (console) headset (don't really care about mic quality tho).

Also it'd be cool if they weren't butt ugly XD

Thanks to anybody that replies :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So i'm looking to retire my Sennheiser 598cs (closed back) that i've had for a long time now but don't know what to get so I'm here for some recommendations now that black friday and cyber monday are looming near.

I was considering just upgrading to the Sennheiser 599s if i find nothing else.

My budget is around 100-250$, i prefer closed back as i commute a lot and i would like it to have an in built mic or atleast the ability to replace the cable to one that does have a mic since they'd double as my gaming (console) headset (don't really care about mic quality tho).

Also it'd be cool if they weren't butt ugly XD

Thanks to anybody that replies :)
The ATH-M50X are the natural closed back option, and you can buy cables with mic for it.

Personally I hate using them for commute as they are huge, so I just use some earbuds I have that came with a Fiio music player I sold soon after I bought it. (One of these days I'll cave in and buy some decent IEMs)

I have a question for the more audio tech-savvy here, my Audioquest Dragonfly (v1.2) is spazzing out as of late, with some frequency. Specifically, it will start missing entire frequencies ( The bass just goes out, or specific mids, or most frequencies and then it sounds like cracking and noise) In those cases, wiggling about the thing in the USB port fixes (Or doesn't the issue) Ocassionally, a healthy spray of electric contact cleaner all over the thing fixes the problem, and it's fine for weeks. Other times, it seems like it's the headphone port itself, and wiggling the headphone jack a bit causes changes in the sound.

It's really irksome and worrisome, sometimes it's completely fine for a complete week, then one day it just won't work and I stop listening to music in frustration, and the next day (For instance right now) it works fine. Anyone knows what it could be? Should I be thinking of just buying a new DAC-amp? Is this something some re-soldering can fix, or bad contacts, or what?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
But the real test will be over the next weeks and months, of course. Impossible to say right away how I'll feel about these later.

After about a week of use my opinion has gotten a bit less positive. They're unfortunately not very good for prolonged listening sessions, the sound can get exhausting (which I managed to more or less fix by dropping the higher frequencies a bit, though) and they really live up to their promise of being closed - they start getting very uncomfortable and hot within an hour or two of use, after which I have to constantly take breaks. I got the Brainwavz replacement earpads for them and while they are considerably more comfortable, they also change the sound to the extent that at that point, I'd rather just stick with the DT770's.

And that's probably what I'll do - go back to the DT770's as my daily drivers. I've done a fair amount of EQ tweaking with these too and I've managed to bring some fullness to the sound that I felt it lacked out of the box, so *shrug*. I just really wish I could change the cable for these things.

--

I kind of want to try the Sennheiser GSX1000 for gaming. Anyone got anything good or bad to say about it?

Last edited:

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else jump on the Tin T4? I was lucky to get the super early bird and can't wait for them to come in, I love my T2s and these are even better.

Next step, SMSL SP200 Balanced THX amp.

I did, based on some Youtubers advice. I'm backer number 25XX, but I haven't gotten a tracking number.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I did, based on some Youtubers advice. I'm backer number 25XX, but I haven't gotten a tracking number.

I'm in their discord and this week they are shipping up to 2500 contribution number.

Also, neck the indiegogo again, they just put up the t3 cable, which is amazing, for 15$ for backers only as a bonus.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
While I don't own either that device or the headphones, I've been using a headphones + virtual surround dac/amp combination for years now and wouldn't ever go back for gaming. The only headset comparable is maybe the Audeze Mobius, but thats quite pricey.

I've heard really good things about the GSX1000, the only reason I didn't consider it was because I play on consoles as well, so I've been using devices that work via optical as well as USB. First I had an Astro Mixamp and then nearly a year ago I swapped to a Sound BlasterX g6.
Have you had any issues with the G6?

I'm considering jumping on one next time it goes on sale, but I've seen conflicting reports of people having crackle & pop issues.

Schiit Fulla 3 seemed to be exactly what I wanted, quality dac/amp with mic input, but I ended up having crackling issues with it that I couldn't figure out. Tried every possible solution I found on the internet.