• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Have you had any issues with the G6?

I'm considering jumping on one next time it goes on sale, but I've seen conflicting reports of people having crackle & pop issues.

Schiit Fulla 3 seemed to be exactly what I wanted, quality dac/amp with mic input, but I ended up having crackling issues with it that I couldn't figure out. Tried every possible solution I found on the internet.
The only time I get any popping or crackling on the G6 is when the optical audio drops out or comes back on. Examples being very occasionally changing the channel on my TV or on the PS4, loading something up on PS4 which is HDR enabled that causes the signal to drop a second while the TV turns HDR on.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Just ordered the 58X's to replace my aging 558's that are falling apart and have developed a rattle in the right side. How much of an improvement should I be expecting from these over the 558? I've been using these 558's ampless for the 4 years I've owned them as they don't really require it, but how much will I be sacrificing without running an amp with the 58x? I've heard they're fine on any modern motherboard with decent audio but I still have my doubts.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
After 8 or 9 years, I'm starting to look for an upgrade for my ATH-AD700's. The wire near the earcup is a bit bent/broken up on it, and the earpiece gave me a shock yesterday so it's time to start looking. Great headphones though!

Decided that the Sennheiser 660 S look like a great set, and I just ordered a Schitt Hel to for a DAC/AMP combo. Debated on whether to get a JDS Labs Element II, but I wasn't sure if the added price would be worth it honestly. I do have a Magni 2 hooked up to my turntable and liked it, so figured I may as well go down Schitt creek again.

Haven't ordered the headphones yet as I'm waiting for them to hopefully drop a bit in price after black friday. They seem like they will be a nice upgrade though, so hopefully my price alert goes off soon!

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
After 8 or 9 years, I'm starting to look for an upgrade for my ATH-AD700's. The wire near the earcup is a bit bent/broken up on it, and the earpiece gave me a shock yesterday so it's time to start looking. Great headphones though!

Decided that the Sennheiser 660 S look like a great set, and I just ordered a Schitt Hel to for a DAC/AMP combo. Debated on whether to get a JDS Labs Element II, but I wasn't sure if the added price would be worth it honestly. I do have a Magni 2 hooked up to my turntable and liked it, so figured I may as well go down Schitt creek again.

Haven't ordered the headphones yet as I'm waiting for them to hopefully drop a bit in price after black friday. They seem like they will be a nice upgrade though, so hopefully my price alert goes off soon!
Dunno where you live but Sennheiser have outlet websites in quite a few countries which often some have b-stock 660S on offer for quite a steep discount with a 2 year warranty.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Decided to hold on on buying some "just" decent headphones and instead wait to splurge on some Sennheiser Hd 660's during this upcoming month.

I'm gonna be working a lot of mandatory overtime starting this week so fuck it, I've been eyeing them forever and what better time to get em than when i have the disposable income.

Thinking about dropping 500$ on em hurts my soul tho XD, rip that pc i was planning on building

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Decided to hold on on buying some "just" decent headphones and instead wait to splurge on some Sennheiser Hd 660's during this upcoming month.

I'm gonna be working a lot of mandatory overtime starting this week so fuck it, I've been eyeing them forever and what better time to get em than when i have the disposable income.

Thinking about dropping 500$ on em hurts my soul tho XD, rip that pc i was planning on building

Have you ever consider the HD 6XX from Drop?

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Damn I got lucky. Some store from the Netherlands had a handful of new Focal Elear for 400 Euro during their Black Friday sale. They were gone fast but I managed to order one in time.
Usually they cost between 899 and 999, some Black Friday sales have them for 599. So 400 is a really nice price.

Can't wait for them to arrive. I was hunting for the Focal Clear but those are just too expensive, not going under 1.099. the Elear are close enough for me.

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
Is there any way I can increase the quality of the audio playing out through either an iPad/iPhone or any smartphone while using Sony 1000xm3? Is there a DAC I could connect it to if using the wire?

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Damn I got lucky. Some store from the Netherlands had a handful of new Focal Elear for 400 Euro during their Black Friday sale. They were gone fast but I managed to order one in time.
Usually they cost between 899 and 999, some Black Friday sales have them for 599. So 400 is a really nice price.

Can't wait for them to arrive. I was hunting for the Focal Clear but those are just too expensive, not going under 1.099. the Elear are close enough for me.

Thats a steal, yeah nothing below 550€ here is France. Elear is good, still not Elex or Clear level from what I read on Head-Fi. It's bonkers that you got more than 50% off, enjoy your quality can!

If i had a proxy I would have cop the LCD-2 Classic from Audeze, their BF deals are mad.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got the DAC I ordered from Amazon weeks ago (Topping D10). Incredibly easy to install and I really like how it looks. Now, I'm not really interested in doing any real testing between amp straight to PC's line out via 3,5mm to RCA vs. amp to DAC to PC, but going by the first half an hour of listening to various stuff, I definitely feel like this was a noticeable upgrade from the former. Everything feels a bit more clear and full.

Now I want a black amp too, though. Lol. Well, I was planning on giving the JDS Labs Atom a try sooner or later anyway.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Thats a steal, yeah nothing below 550€ here is France. Elear is good, still not Elex or Clear level from what I read on Head-Fi. It's bonkers that you got more than 50% off, enjoy your quality can!

If i had a proxy I would have cop the LCD-2 Classic from Audeze, their BF deals are mad.

Yeah I was actually hunting for a Clear or Elex, but the Clear was 1.099 the cheapest and the Elex is very rare in Europe, cheapest I found was 849. This was a bit too much for me. I've read that different pads like the Dekoni sheepleather ones improve their sound, make them a little more neutral (less warm, more balanced mids). I'll experiment a bit with them.

I was also looking for the LCD 2 classic open back, but they were quite expensive. Next step will be an upgrade of my music player. Currently rocking a FiiO X3 2nd gen. Which is great, but the new Sony NW A105 caught my eye.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
I actually had just dunno how comparable they are.

I didn't find better than that, it's not an in depth reviews but still nice analysis :
What I know is the 660S is on an another level compare too the 650/6XX... If you are convince that you want to go big, then get the 660S.
You'll tell us what you think.

On that (again) any dutch website with that price? I almost order an Elear but I can't stop thinking about you the 200e differences...

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I didn't find better than that, it's not an in depth reviews but still nice analysis :
What I know is the 660S is on an another level compare too the 650/6XX... If you are convince that you want to go big, then get the 660S.
You'll tell us what you think.

On that (again) any dutch website with that price? I almost order an Elear but I can't stop thinking about you the 200e differences...

The offer was only available at this price on Black Friday on their eBay store, 5 pcs. Now the Elear are on their site for 549.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Why is it impossible to find wireless headphones that are compatible for Ps4 and Xbox? I really need them to do both and I dont want to use a 3.5mm jack

Appreciate any help as my current headphones are falling apart and I dont want to miss the sales. Cheers

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
Per the above, did some digging and found the Sennheiser RS175 and have some questions about optical out. Would it be better sound quality than 3.5mm? My soundbar setup is through HDMi, will the headphones switch on automatically through the optical out? Just want to know if its a no fuss option
Cheers

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Per the above, did some digging and found the Sennheiser RS175 and have some questions about optical out. Would it be better sound quality than 3.5mm? My soundbar setup is through HDMi, will the headphones switch on automatically through the optical out? Just want to know if its a no fuss option
Cheers
For wireless you'd definitely want to be using optical as it's a digital output. If you use 3.5mm you'd be converting from digital to analog in the tv, then when it goes into the headphone box it'd convert it back to digital, and then the headphones would be converting them back to analog again so you can lose quality with the redundant conversions.

Usually audio output is controlled by the tv. Like on my TV I can swap between TV speakers(which usually still outputs over optical too), my receiver, or optical(this one mutes the tv speakers unlike the first option). Usually HDMI CEC automatically swaps the TV back to TV Speakers/Optical if my receiver switches off though so I rarely have to mess with this manually.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Picked up the 1MORE Triple Driver IEM over the weekend, just for shits since it was on sale. Damn I have seen some sexy boxes in my time, but this one impressed me.

I cannot recommend spending 3x the money on a 660S, it just isn't worth it over the 6XX.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
So I got the JDS Atom Amp in the mail today but can't do anything with it because I don't have any of the cables. I thought it came with all the cables I'd need but apparently not. *smacks forehead*

What else do I need for this thing?

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
So I got the JDS Atom Amp in the mail today but can't do anything with it because I don't have any of the cables. I thought it came with all the cables I'd need but apparently not. *smacks forehead*

What a coincidence, I got mine today as well. Will hook it up to my Khadas Tone Board later.

But the Focal Elear that I bought on BF have been send to the wrong address. They should arrive today as well, but are now on the other side of the country. Urgh.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

Just hooked mine up last night. You need RCA cables, but there's also a 3.5mm connector in the back.

What surprised me, headphone out is only 6.5mm so I my Shure SRH1840 with a 3.5mm connector needed an adapter. Fortunately, had one laying around.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The 6xx is literally a HD650. The 650 is noticeably superior to the 660. It resolves more low level detail and scales better. Sound is more smooth overall while the 660 is a bit rougher.

Don't read into the hype on Head-Fi. Buy the 6xx and save the $300 over the 660. You'll have a better headphone and more money. The Schiit Hel you were looking at will have plenty of power for the 6xx (the 660 is a tiny bit easier to drive).

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Picked up the 1MORE Triple Driver IEM over the weekend, just for shits since it was on sale. Damn I have seen some sexy boxes in my time, but this one impressed me.

I cannot recommend spending 3x the money on a 660S, it just isn't worth it over the 6XX.
I'm debating between grabbing the 1More Triple Drivers or the Tin Audio T2, I'm more inclined toward the second because of the durability, what do you guys think?

Also, Rtings actually measured the 58X as the better of that line of Sennheiser's, you know, with actual measurements and not with Head-Fi's esoteric bullshit. The 58X, according to them, are the better of the bunch, and the cheapest.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The 6xx is literally a HD650. The 650 is noticeably superior to the 660. It resolves more low level detail and scales better. Sound is more smooth overall while the 660 is a bit rougher.

Don't read into the hype on Head-Fi. Buy the 6xx and save the $300 over the 660. You'll have a better headphone and more money. The Schiit Hel you were looking at will have plenty of power for the 6xx (the 660 is a tiny bit easier to drive).

Would you say that the HD650 is essentially a better, more refined version of the HD598? It's a comment I've seen a few times on the internet and as a big fan of the HD598, I'm pretty intrigued. I bought it years ago and it's still my go to for music listening and TV watching.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Would you say that the HD650 is essentially a better, more refined version of the HD598? It's a comment I've seen a few times on the internet and as a big fan of the HD598, I'm pretty intrigued. I bought it years ago and it's still my go to for music listening and TV watching.
598 is a different design from the 580/600/650/660S family.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
598 is a different design from the 580/600/650/660S family.

Of course, I should've specified that I'm talking strictly sound signature here.

Obviously I started googling after this and as is always the case with the internet, I'm seeing lots of conflicting comments, haha. That said, most seem to agree that the HD650 is a bit heavier on the bass and I do tend to enjoy bass so I think I'll have to check them out at some point.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm debating between grabbing the 1More Triple Drivers or the Tin Audio T2, I'm more inclined toward the second because of the durability, what do you guys think?

Also, Rtings actually measured the 58X as the better of that line of Sennheiser's, you know, with actual measurements and not with Head-Fi's esoteric bullshit. The 58X, according to them, are the better of the bunch, and the cheapest.
I have a T2 Pro as well, but I have so much neutral stuff and needed something with a mic for my bus rides.

Rtings may prefer the 58X's measurements but they can't objectively say they are the best. Many will disagree.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Of course, I should've specified that I'm talking strictly sound signature here.

Obviously I started googling after this and as is always the case with the internet, I'm seeing lots of conflicting comments, haha. That said, most seem to agree that the HD650 is a bit heavier on the bass and I do tend to enjoy bass so I think I'll have to check them out at some point.
They're quite different. 598 is super wide, airy and easy to listen to. 650s are way , way more detailed, comparatively fuller and brighter in sound but less roomy. I loved both for hugely different reasons, but the 650s are, while not clinical by any means, more to the point. As for bass, the 598s have none compared to the 650s, which are not overwhelmingly baddy but definitely a darker sound.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
They're quite different. 598 is super wide, airy and easy to listen to. 650s are way , way more detailed, comparatively fuller and brighter in sound but less roomy. I loved both for hugely different reasons, but the 650s are, while not clinical by any means, more to the point. As for bass, the 598s have none compared to the 650s, which are not overwhelmingly baddy but definitely a darker sound.

Thanks for the detailed response! I'm definitely intrigued, particularly wrt to detail. I do find bright cans exhausting, but in my (admittedly very limited) experience, the higher frequencies are pretty easy to mellow out with an EQ.

I think I'll make the HD650s my next headphone purchase. Being priced at 300+ euros, though, I'll have to look into it later in the winter/early spring.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the detailed response! I'm definitely intrigued, particularly wrt to detail. I do find bright cans exhausting, but in my (admittedly very limited) experience, the higher frequencies are pretty easy to mellow out with an EQ.

I think I'll make the HD650s my next headphone purchase. Being priced at 300+ euros, though, I'll have to look into it later in the winter/early spring.
I'm not sure if this is possible for you or not but here's a cheaper way to get 650, 6XX is just a rebranding of them with a bit different color and cable.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if this is possible for you or not but here's a cheaper way to get 650, 6XX is just a rebranding of them with a bit different color and cable.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it, but with shipping and VAT I'm pretty sure it'd end up being very close to the 330 euros the HD650s cost in a nearby electronics store.

Really wish massdrop was better with their EU customers. I'd love to get the THX 789 AAA, but man.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I'll definitely look into it, but with shipping and VAT I'm pretty sure it'd end up being very close to the 330 euros the HD650s cost in a nearby electronics store.

Really wish massdrop was better with their EU customers. I'd love to get the THX 789 AAA, but man.
Ah yeah that one I linked was their EU version which is higher price to begin with but I believe ships from somewhere in Europe. But like all depends on where you live still and you obviously know that part a lot better lol.

On another topic bought a pair of Focal Elex and just impatiently waiting for that to get here :p.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yeah that one I linked was their EU version which is higher price to begin with but I believe ships from somewhere in Europe. But like all depends on where you live still and you obviously know that part a lot better lol.

On another topic bought a pair of Focal Elex and just impatiently waiting for that to get here :p.

Yeah, I actually JUST noticed it's a special EU version or something, so shipping, VAT etc. are indeed included and it'd cost me almost a hundred euros less. Unfortunately I won't really be able to get it for a while, so I'll just have to hope the offer is still live in February or March.

e: looks like the cheaper HD58Xs would also be worth looking into. Ugh, I wish I was a rich asshole and could just order headphones willy nilly.

Last edited:

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Ordered the Focal Clear and Monolith 887 this week to upgrade my HD598s and Schiit Magni, respectively. Can't wait!

I was originally going for the elex but Amazon has the Clear for a little over $300 less so I figured why not. Was also eyeing the Massdrop 789 but saw that the Monoprice one was basically a carbon copy with a few tweaks.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
After somewhat extensive research, I've decided to go with the Sennheiser HD58X next. But I'm new to massdrop and not entirely clear on how they operate. They sell products in limited batches, right? Is there supposed to be a way to see how many of a given product is left? I'm looking at HD58X's (EU) page and it just says 866 sold and that's it: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones-eu#overview

I'm wondering if there's a risk that I simply won't be able to buy this in February/March.

Also, assuming I'll manage to snatch these, are they easy to take apart and put back together? The glossy plastic looks fucking dreadful and I'm thinking of repainting it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Ordered the Focal Clear and Monolith 887 this week to upgrade my HD598s and Schiit Magni, respectively. Can't wait!

I was originally going for the elex but Amazon has the Clear for a little over $300 less so I figured why not. Was also eyeing the Massdrop 789 but saw that the Monoprice one was basically a carbon copy with a few tweaks.

Was also hunting for the Clear but damn, at least 1.099 bucks. Got the Elear instead, for 400. They'll arrive tomorrow. Also bought Clear pads for them, which basically makes them Elex.

Please post your impressions when you have your hands on the Clear!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Remembered my parents were absolutely insistent on getting me something for Christmas so I figured I might as well ask, and well, now I've got the Sennheiser HD58Xs coming. Super excited, I have pretty dang high hopes for them.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
I asked for advice a while back and got my headphones yesterday. I ended up getting a Fiio 10K Olympus DAC and the Beyerdynamics DT 1990 Pro 250 Ohm.
Tested them for a long while yesterday and love them. I tried a few others but not these so it was a bit of a gamble but from what I read and saw in review it was what I was looking for and can confirm from testing that this is exactly what I wanted.

It will be mostly for gaming, movies and metal music so I popped on the pads that added a bit of extra bass. It was glorious.

Aside from Metal music Daft Punk massaged the inside of my brain for a while yesterday. Damn it felt gooooood.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got a Christmas Bonus this year, and was looking for some headphone/earbud recommendations for a specific need.

I own a pair of last gen model Airpods that I use for my iPhone and Apple TV. I was thinking of getting the Airpod Pro as a second pair to use exclusively with the Apple TV, since I've read that it has improved sound/noise cancelling.

But I wanted to get some opinions first on whether there were headphones/earbuds that produced better sound quality at around the same price or less. Since they're exclusively for movie watching, I want whatever delivers nice, booming sound. This includes virtual surround sound if it's an option.

I have a PS4 Platinum headset, but I suppose there's no way to get that working on the Apple TV.

If the Airpods Pro suffice for the price point, then I'll still lean towards those. Not looking to spend $500 or anything crazy.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
Just to point out, since this is ERA, HD650/6xx/58x =(which I own and love) are not great gaming headsets for 3d games with immersive audio. Due to the bass signature and soundstage, they are great for music but not good for telling where sound comes from.
In the same price category but generally available for less, the DT880 from Beyer is a much better gaming headset IMHO - it is ultra clear and comfortable/non-fatiguing. Note that this not true for the 770 or 990 both of which are much worse for this use IMHO.
I own a ton of higher end headphones but I still listen to the 650 in my work rig and DT880s as daily drivers for gaming. Music phones are generally very different.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's Christmas Day and I've got some Amazon GCs to boot, so still asking this question:

I got a Christmas Bonus this year, and was looking for some headphone/earbud recommendations for a specific need.

I own a pair of last gen model Airpods that I use for my iPhone and Apple TV. I was thinking of getting the Airpod Pro as a second pair to use exclusively with the Apple TV, since I've read that it has improved sound/noise cancelling.

But I wanted to get some opinions first on whether there were headphones/earbuds that produced better sound quality at around the same price or less. Since they're exclusively for movie watching, I want whatever delivers nice, booming sound. This includes virtual surround sound if it's an option.

I have a PS4 Platinum headset, but I suppose there's no way to get that working on the Apple TV.

If the Airpods Pro suffice for the price point, then I'll still lean towards those. Not looking to spend $500 or anything crazy.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just to point out, since this is ERA, HD650/6xx/58x =(which I own and love) are not great gaming headsets for 3d games with immersive audio. Due to the bass signature and soundstage, they are great for music but not good for telling where sound comes from.
In the same price category but generally available for less, the DT880 from Beyer is a much better gaming headset IMHO - it is ultra clear and comfortable/non-fatiguing. Note that this not true for the 770 or 990 both of which are much worse for this use IMHO.
I own a ton of higher end headphones but I still listen to the 650 in my work rig and DT880s as daily drivers for gaming. Music phones are generally very different.

58xx paired with the GSX1000 7.1 Amp/DAC though. Glorious open surround.

On its own though, yea I was unimpressed for gaming.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
It's Christmas Day and I've got some Amazon GCs to boot, so still asking this question:

I use a FiiO BTR3 ($60 on Amazon) with a set of Sony MH755 ($13 from eBay seller "kanoya") and it's a really great combo for home use with mixed media (music, movies, games, etc.). Get a BT transmitter with AptX LL and optical/aux input and hook it up to your TV and it'll work with all of your devices (another ~$40).

I think the big advantage of a setup like this is battery life and versatility. The FiiO will work with any set of headphones and the transmitter will output the audio from any device connected to your TV. The FiiO has enough battery life for 6-8 hour binge watching/gaming sessions and can be used while charging unlike TWS BT IEMs.