• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I use a FiiO BTR3 ($60 on Amazon) with a set of Sony MH755 ($13 from eBay seller "kanoya") and it's a really great combo for home use with mixed media (music, movies, games, etc.). Get a BT transmitter with AptX LL and optical/aux input and hook it up to your TV and it'll work with all of your devices (another ~$40).

I think the big advantage of a setup like this is battery life and versatility. The FiiO will work with any set of headphones and the transmitter will output the audio from any device connected to your TV. The FiiO has enough battery life for 6-8 hour binge watching/gaming sessions and can be used while charging unlike TWS BT IEMs.

This is going down a rabbit hole I've never peeked into before. In layman's terms, how does all of this work with an Apple TV, and what are the advantages of having it?

Beyond that, these are some of the headphones that have been recommended to me so far:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbeats-P...keywords=powerbeats+pro&qid=1577383622&sr=8-3 (I don't know what advantages this has over the Airpod Pro, if I was going the earbud route).

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just picked up a pair of M50xBTs, since they were on sale at Best Buy and I had some reward certs + a gift card. All told, I paid around $70 for them - and man, I'm pretty impressed with these so far! Definitely sound better than any other wireless headsets I've used.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Just picked up a pair of M50xBTs, since they were on sale at Best Buy and I had some reward certs + a gift card. All told, I paid around $70 for them - and man, I'm pretty impressed with these so far! Definitely sound better than any other wireless headsets I've used.

I own the M50X since 5 years and for the price, they are amazing. Also highly portable. Enjoy them! 70 bucks is a bargain for these headphones.

For home use, I upgraded to the SRH1840 and now to the Focal Elear / Elex.
That's a whole new level, especially combined with a good DAC and amp.

I kept my M50X for travel though, because I'm often on business trips and they are great for that. But it's time to upgrade for me. They easily sound as good as headphones twice the price (and even more), but as so often, once you made big steps forward, it's hard to go back.

It's actually not that easy to find high-end headphones that are foldable though. I'm currently thinking of the Ultrasone Signature Pro, great sound and very portable. Usually they cost 899 but they are available for 599, which is a lot but ... Yeah, guess I'm there yet.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I own the M50X since 5 years and for the price, they are amazing. Also highly portable. Enjoy them! 70 bucks is a bargain for these headphones.

For home use, I upgraded to the SRH1840 and now to the Focal Elear / Elex.
That's a whole new level, especially combined with a good DAC and amp.

I kept my M50X for travel though, because I'm often on business trips and they are great for that. But it's time to upgrade for me. They easily sound as good as headphones twice the price (and even more), but as so often, once you made big steps forward, it's hard to go back.

It's actually not that easy to find high-end headphones that are foldable though. I'm currently thinking of the Ultrasone Signature Pro, great sound and very portable. Usually they cost 899 but they are available for 599, which is a lot but ... Yeah, guess I'm there yet.

Oh, I should specify - I have a pair of HiFimans for home use, with a DAC+AMP. Not my first rodeo, specifically got these for portable use.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In addition to the headphones I linked above, I've been simultaneously interested in getting a good wireless headset for my Xbox One.

I was wondering if there was a pair of headphones that worked great (and wirelessly) on both the XB1 and Apple TV. Kill two birds with one stone and all that.

Either way, these were some of the headsets recommended to me as far as the XB1 is concerned:

Again asking for opinions/recommendations. There doesn't seem to be much of a consensus on these, but I want to try and make the best possible purchase regardless.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Thanks for the clarification. Which Hifiman do you have? Just out of curiosity.

HE-500. I used to have an Oppo PM3, but the pads wore out/fell off and my grandpa (who's an audiophile) stopped using the hifimans, so he offered to give them to me.

...I need to get replacement pads for the Hifiman one of these days, honestly. At least those are easily replaceable.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
HE-500. I used to have an Oppo PM3, but the pads wore out/fell off and my grandpa (who's an audiophile) stopped using the hifimans, so he offered to give them to me.

...I need to get replacement pads for the Hifiman one of these days, honestly. At least those are easily replaceable.

I was also interested in the HE-500 when they came out, but the weight kinda turned me off. How do you feel about it?

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Mhm so I'm currently torn between to Ultrasone Headphones as my secondary, closed back pair for travel. The Signature Pro and the Edition M Plus.
Both can be bought for more or less the same, the Edition M is generally a bit cheaper though and reviews say they sound amazing. But there are no direct comparisons available.

Currently, I tend to the Signature Pro, because they can be folded and seem very sturdy. The Edition M looks more premium and is way lighter.
Guess I'll see if I can get the Edition M very cheap somewhere, if it's not significantly cheaper, I'll go with the Sig Pro.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Anyone got recommendations for some good cans for big-headed fools like me? Tried the DT1990 and HD660S earlier this week but they're both too tight for my stupid head. Looking to spend up to 650$.

Focal Elear / Elex can be found for around 600 (I even got them way cheaper). Really outstanding headphones and from what I've seen and read, the fit well on big heads.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bumping my question again: I'd really like to have a great pair of headphones, be it just for the Xbox One or Apple TV, or one that works great with both, especially if there are any current end of the year sales to take advantage of.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Anyone got recommendations for some good cans for big-headed fools like me? Tried the DT1990 and HD660S earlier this week but they're both too tight for my stupid head. Looking to spend up to 650$.
I have a watermelon head, and the HifiMan Sundara is really comfortable for me.

I bought some Brainwavz pads to replace the stock ones and I can literally fall asleep with them on my head.

Bumping my question again: I'd really like to have a great pair of headphones, be it just for the Xbox One or Apple TV, or one that works great with both, especially if there are any current end of the year sales to take advantage of.
Looking at your previous post, I would buy the HyoerX Cloud Alpha over the Cloud II, as it has a detachable cable, meaning you can replace the cable if it goes bad instead of having to pitch the whole set.

Wireless, the Sennheiser GAME ZERO is a good recommendation.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you've ever wanted a Hifiman RE00, they are literally giving them away for free with the RE300a, which is on sale for $19.90 on HFM's official online stores.

I bought two sets just to get the RE00s, it's insane to me that they are giving away one of my favorite ever IEMs (back to the original RE0/ER-ZERO) as a cheap toss in now.

I'm curious, did you actually get RE00s? At least the pack in I got when I ordered is marked as an RE0, which seems like the older model?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm curious, did you actually get RE00s? At least the pack in I got when I ordered is marked as an RE0, which seems like the older model?
I ordered two, only opened one, it's definitely an RE-00.

I'd be seriously shocked if Hifiman had any working RE-0 to even send anyone, it's a 12 year old IEM that was discontinued 7 or 8 years ago. The RE-00 is the Massdrop re-release from a couple years ago.

So yours says RE-0 on the strain relief? Is it a silver metallic relief, or a black plastic one?

Did they come with black double-flange tips, or white?

Is the right angle jack pretty thick?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I ordered two, only opened one, it's definitely an RE-00.

I'd be seriously shocked if Hifiman had any working RE-0 to even send anyone, it's a 12 year old IEM that was discontinued 7 or 8 years ago. The RE-00 is the Massdrop re-release from a couple years ago.

So yours says RE-0 on the strain relief? Is it a silver metallic relief, or a black plastic one?

Did they come with black double-flange tips, or white?

Is the right angle jack pretty thick?
Since it didn't come with packaging, the only indication I have is that it says RE0 on the black strain relief (silver letters). White double tips, it's a fairly thick angled jack that is a little more than 90 degrees. Were the RE-00s labeled as RE0?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Since it didn't come with packaging, the only indication I have is that it says RE0 on the black strain relief (silver letters). White double tips, it's a fairly thick angled jack that is a little more than 90 degrees. Were the RE-00s labeled as RE0?
No mine says RE00, I'm wondering if it's just a printing defect and a zero is missing. If the cable is fabric sleeved, with a black Y-splitter and a chunky righ-angled plug, that sounds like an RE-00 to me.

If you take of a tip and let me see a picture of the nozzle, I feel I'd know pretty quickly. The RE-00 has a slightly longer nozzle than the older model.

This is the RE0:

This is the RE-00:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
No mine says RE00, I'm wondering if it's just a printing defect and a zero is missing. If the cable is fabric sleeved, with a black Y-splitter and a chunky righ-angled plug, that sounds like an RE-00 to me.

If you take of a tip and let me see a picture of the nozzle, I feel I'd know pretty quickly. The RE-00 has a slightly longer nozzle than the older model.

This is the RE0:

This is the RE-00:

It is definitely not the massdrop rerelease re00, as the cable is not fabric sleeved at all but all plastic... The cabling actually looks exactly like the one in this post with the angled plug and everything:

I'll try to upload a picture tomorrow, since I couldn't really see the difference in the nozzles from those youtube videos.

edited to add:
So my order shows that the item was supposed to ship with RE00, however if I click on the link you posted earlier, the product description is now changed to +RE0. So I'm fairly sure they ran out and started giving away old stock of RE0s instead. I emailed them to ask about it. How much worse off am I with the older model?

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
so i bought some klipsch x6i's. i previously used the original r6 which i loved but those were falling apart so i needed new ones and took a chance on these. they are definitely neutral. they aren't exciting to listen to like my old iems but they have more details. i feel like they have less clarity tho than my old headphones since alot of my music kinda sounds low quality now. i think i might need to get better tips because these current ones dont feel like they get a good fit. never bought tips for headphones, any recommendations?

also i'm using a fiio k1 dac amp on these

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been trying to see if I can find a pair of wireless headphones that are ideal for both the Xbox One and Apple TV. As the ones I'm looking at currently are pricey, they would need to perform well on both devices to justify the cost for me.

As it stands, I'm debating between these two:

According to RTings, the SteelSeries is the best overall XB1 headset, while the A50 is recommended if you want a headset for more than gaming.

Thing is, the G933 set that I own (which I use primarily for XB1 and Switch) is already highly rated: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/logitech/g933-wireless-gaming-headset

The only problem is I have to use a direct connection to the XB1 controller. Even so, it isn't worth shelling $200+ just for a cordless option that is no better in audio quality. I do very much like the option of being able to hear audio from both the XB1 and my phone at the same time, if it means I can fire up podcasts/outside music while grinding in an RPG or something.

And for the sake of educating myself further, I have my consoles connected to a Home Theater which has both a headphone input jack as well as USB (the G933's dongle doesn't appear to work with it though). Is it better for me to connect headphones directly to the XB1 controller or the receiver itself?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Been using the Sennheiser HD58X daily for a few weeks now and I'm incredibly, incredibly happy with them. And not just for the price point, cause I definitely feel like I could've paid 300+ euros for these and would still be very happy with the sound. It's all just so detailed and beautiful. Comfort could be better - the super hard pads are a bit much at times - and they look pretty terrible with all the glossy plastic, but yeah, I'll definitely be happy with these for a while. Not end game necessarily, but these should be more than enough until I can comfortably purchase more expensive, genuine end game phones like the LCD 2C.

In the mean time I'll probably get the Dekoni sheepskin pads for these (and hope they don't ruin the sound) and mess around with different amps - I'm really interested in trying out a cheap tube amp like the Little Dot I+. Time to also start looking for a closed back equivalent, for when I need noise isolation - the Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro sound so boring after these.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Been using the Sennheiser HD58X daily for a few weeks now and I'm incredibly, incredibly happy with them. And not just for the price point, cause I definitely feel like I could've paid 300+ euros for these and would still be very happy with the sound. It's all just so detailed and beautiful. Comfort could be better - the super hard pads are a bit much at times - and they look pretty terrible with all the glossy plastic, but yeah, I'll definitely be happy with these for a while. Not end game necessarily, but these should be more than enough until I can comfortably purchase more expensive, genuine end game phones like the LCD 2C.

In the mean time I'll probably get the Dekoni sheepskin pads for these (and hope they don't ruin the sound) and mess around with different amps - I'm really interested in trying out a cheap tube amp like the Little Dot I+. Time to also start looking for a closed back equivalent, for when I need noise isolation - the Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro sound so boring after these.

Audeze headphones have terrible comfort in general. A HD800S would be an end game option that's very comfortable.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Boy, if you think 58X is uncomfortable to wear...

Haha, yeah I've heard the LCDs can be really something. I really only mention it since all my hours spent watching Youtube videos have led me to the conclusion that I'd likely really enjoy the sound signature of the 2C. When the time comes, I'll obviously be going around trying different headphones on in hifi shops etc.

I wonder if the 2C's comfort is comparable to the Audeze Mobius at all, though. Don't think that one's bad at all.

e: though just to be clear, I don't think the 58X's are uncomfortable at all, at least after stretching them out a fair bit. I can easily wear them for hours with no real prolems. Just saying that they'd be much better with softer pads.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the double post, but any idea how often (if ever) do the Drop EU stocks get replenished? I'm really interested in giving the Hifiman HE4XXs a try since I really want to check out proper planar headphones and these are cheap and apparently very good, but as you can see, they're out of stock. The US Drop has them for a very cheap 130 usd, but the price would probably double if shipped to Finland, thanks to shipping and handling fees, taxes, etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Sorry for the double post, but any idea how often (if ever) do the Drop EU stocks get replenished? I'm really interested in giving the Hifiman HE4XXs a try since I really want to check out proper planar headphones and these are cheap and apparently very good, but as you can see, they're out of stock. The US Drop has them for a very cheap 130 usd, but the price would probably double if shipped to Finland, thanks to shipping and handling fees, taxes, etc.

I was wondering the same. I want the KOSS ESP/95X, but I don't see anything Europe related anymore and can't find anything online. It's really hard to google drop and Europe, everything is Brexit related.

cyrix

Oct 27, 2017
My 2012 astro A40s just broke again (they see a lot of use) and im just not comfortable repairing them again, most of the screw bosses are broken and shit, just not worth it anymore.
what is a good replacment in the $100 dollar range. im open to headsets or headphones, but a headset would be convienient.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering the same. I want the KOSS ESP/95X, but I don't see anything Europe related anymore and can't find anything online. It's really hard to google drop and Europe, everything is Brexit related.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they dropped the Euro collection before Christmas or so. Sold their stock for discount prices. Apparently it didn't make enough money.

They said they were looking into offering international shipping with prepaid tax like say what Amazon offer.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but they dropped the Euro collection before Christmas or so. Sold their stock for discount prices. Apparently it didn't make enough money.

They said they were looking into offering international shipping with prepaid tax like say what Amazon offer.

Fuck, that's a bummer. I'll have to keep my ears and eyes open in case that prepaid tax thing happens, though, might at least soften the blow a bit.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU

Thanks for the info. Shame that great stuff like the Focal Elex never made it into Europe.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Got a pair of those adidas sport at ~$80.
The sound is more than decent for the price but they clamp really hard.

g2XMoiB.jpg

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Wondering if anyone can help me finalize a noise-cancelling headphone purchase. I have Apple's generic earbuds for working out, a pair of HD555s and Grado SR80e's for at-home casual listening and a speaker set up for movies and music.

I'm looking at the following:

Bose QC35ii - $250
Bose 700 - $350
Sony WH1000XM3 - $350

These would be used for Switch gaming on the go/at home, podcast/audiobook/music listening on trains and planes. Occasional home use.

From everything I've read, the Sony sounds best, and I've never been a huge fan of the boomy Bose sound, but I tried the QC35ii in store and they sounded fine. They're also significantly cheaper than the others right now. I know that there's a slight trade-off in sound with noise cancelling headphones, but everything I have is open ear and I don't really want to blast everyone around me with sound.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Wondering if anyone can help me finalize a noise-cancelling headphone purchase. I have Apple's generic earbuds for working out, a pair of HD555s and Grado SR80e's for at-home casual listening and a speaker set up for movies and music.

Bose QC35ii - $250
Bose 700 - $350
Sony WH1000XM3 - $350

These would be used for Switch gaming on the go/at home, podcast/audiobook/music listening on trains and planes. Occasional home use.

From everything I've read, the Sony sounds best, and I've never been a huge fan of the boomy Bose sound, but I tried the QC35ii in store and they sounded fine. They're also significantly cheaper than the others right now. I know that there's a slight trade-off in sound with noise cancelling headphones, but everything I have is open ear and I don't really want to blast everyone around me with sound.

You really shouldn't be paying 350 for the XM3's at this point. For one, they should be between 250 and 275 in most places. If they're not right now, wait for a deal as they should happen at any time. The XM4's are probably months away at this point.

I wouldn't buy the outdated QC35II's for 250 though. Their ANC is worse than both other options, they sound worse than both others, but that's subjective. Their battery life is worse than the others. Also, micro-usb in 2020, eeww.

Either way, wait a few weeks or search for a current deal on the XM3's, would be my advise. They're definitely going to be discounted all the time. (Don't know where you're from, in my country they're at 279 Euro atm)

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
You really shouldn't be paying 350 for the XM3's at this point. For one, they should be between 250 and 275 in most places. If they're not right now, wait for a deal as they should happen at any time. The XM4's are probably months away at this point.

I wouldn't buy the outdated QC35II's for 250 though. Their ANC is worse than both other options, they sound worse than both others, but that's subjective. Their battery life is worse than the others. Also, micro-usb in 2020, eeww.

Either way, wait a few weeks or search for a current deal on the XM3's, would be my advise. They're definitely going to be discounted all the time. (Don't know where you're from, in my country they're at 279 Euro atm)

Micro-USB doesn't really bother me--I'm never in a situation where I would need the quick charge.

Every review seems to state ANC and sound quality between the QC35ii and Sony isn't miles apart--you get slightly better ANC with Sony and roughly on-par sound quality with Sony, which is why I was considering them.

Maybe I'll wait for now--I have a trip at the end of Feb I'm hoping to have something for.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
I need a amp recommendation.

There is a slight chance of me going very high end and buying $2000+ headphones this year. I'm already got my eyes looking at the topping d90 as my DAC but I'm going to need an amp to go with it. From what I understand, the 789 or the 887 gets recommended for everything but are there any amplifiers at or below $1000 that beat them in terms of power/distortion/quality/etc without adding a bunch of extra features and knobs beyond volume control and input switching ( I have no interest in EQing). A lot of very expensive amps seem to justify their prices by adding a whole bunch of features that just read like they're just EQ options.

If there aren't any amps like that, I'm willing to just get a 789 or 887 and save the money on a future headphone lol

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need a amp recommendation.

There is a slight chance of me going very high end and buying $2000+ headphones this year. I'm already got my eyes looking at the topping d90 as my DAC but I'm going to need an amp to go with it. From what I understand, the 789 or the 887 gets recommended for everything but are there any amplifiers at or below $1000 that beat them in terms of power/distortion/quality/etc without adding a bunch of extra features and knobs beyond volume control and input switching ( I have no interest in EQing). A lot of very expensive amps seem to justify their prices by adding a whole bunch of features that just read like they're just EQ options.

If there aren't any amps like that, I'm willing to just get a 789 or 887 and save the money on a future headphone lol

you better not listen to europop on that shit

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bose QC35ii - $250
Bose 700 - $350
Sony WH1000XM3 - $350

I have both. Qc35iis and Sonys. Here's my subjective opinion:

battery life - Sony - in real life conditions about one and a half to two times longer but...

battery charging... I've never actually gotten to zero on either unless I leave them in the office and forget to turn off or disconnect- but the Bose charge waaaaay faster- manual says an hour but I swear I've had them go from 10-100% in 15 minutes when I am panicking to get to a flight. I appreciate that more frequently but again- it's not like I ever ran out of juice in any real situation and I'm doing 12 hour flights on the regular.

Audio fidelity - not enough in it for me to care but I found the Sony's a hair better for movies. Some of that's subjective and probably a wee bit of confirmation bias. Ymmv - games oddly enough I thought that would be more stark but I can't meaningfully tell them apart.

usb c vs micro: Sony, fit and I'd much prefer usb c ... but because you ALWAYS have the case- the distinction is moot because the right (short) cable is always with your headphones in real life- and because I am years from having all usb c devices when I travel. Bose has no excuse for the next revision though.

case - this doesn't get talked about enough but the Bose case and the headphone folding mechanism are GREAT.Everything fits without fiddling and you have an internal pouch for 3.5-2.5mm - usb cable and plenty of space for related junk like lightning adapter (eff you apple) and usb c headphone adapter (eff you Samsung) the awful airline adapter thing (two prongs) and a usb brick- and in my case most of my travel item usb or adapter cables. But even better- there's an elastic neoprene pouch on the exterior of the case that lets you organize all your shit for deplaning without having to do last minute fumbling with overheads. It's genius and everyone should copy it - fits your phone, tickets, passport etc and has a stout nylon loop for carabiner or other connection to your bags. This means I'm never going to lose or forget headphones again- and also why I pick silver for dark cabins etc. the Sony case is way too big and lacks utility but the Sony's are bigger phones which means better noise isolation so it's a sort of trade off.

Telephony- no contest and I use this a lot - Qc35iis win handily for mic pick up and call quality (iPhone and laptop for teams/Skype) and more importantly the other participants seem to notice more noise when I'm using the Sony's. Partially related is the app behavior- Bose app is better at recovering, detecting and switching devices on iOS and surprisingly the android app is a horror show (also a farce on the Sony wm nc earbuds but I think that's more to do with earbud firmware and chaining and I don't use Android that much - Samsung galaxy tab not phone)

App - I don't use the apps a lot but the Bose app is far more stable and frankly if I could avoid it I'd only ever use naked Bluetooth on the Sony's. I had a terrible experience with iOS and Android apps and a nightmarish experience with the app - specifically for the buds. Not relevant here but some folks will have both. I only use them for initial setup, firmware- Assistant choice (I believe the qc35iis support one more than the Sony's but I only use Alexa of the three.

range - pretty unscientific but I can get farther from my desk with the Bose but forgetting to take them off and going to the restroom is hardly a bonus. In my house both work everywhere except the root cellar regardless of the source device.

So my winner is Bose by a sort of practical margin— but hopefully my use case scenarios are clear enough to show my biases. Oh and I just realized that I don't know (I assume they DO) if the Sony's also work without power via cable. I have a set of Polk noise canceling phones that infuriatingly don't work without batteries- period. Not just noise canceling but audio period.

oh and with all that said you can't go wrong with either if they're reasonably priced. And the last gen Sony's can be picked up super cheap and aren't far behind the new ones.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Ended up picking up the Sony's for $300 today. Only briefly tested but holy shit the bass is high on these. Gonna mess around with EQ settings and try them out over a few settings.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Denon AH-D2000 broke after 10 years last week. I didn't like them that much anyway, as the leather pads heated my ears up within like 15 minutes. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 599 yesterday and they're terrific in terms of comfort.

The funny thing is that my head is too big for about 60% of all headphones I tried yesterday. None of the Beyerdynamic headphones fit, the HyperX Cloud II was too tight as well. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x fit and sounded fantastic (possibly better than the HD 599? Not sure, it was close) but the leather pads killed me. Why does that crap exist? Also, they tended to fall off when I tiled my head forward, as they're on-ears. The DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm sounded a bit bassy (in a muddy, negative way) compared to the HD 599 and the ATH-M50x, so it's not a big loss that it wouldn't fit.

The HD 599 are a 10/10 in terms of comfort and a 8 or 9 in terms of audio quality. I'm very happy with them. I love headphones that are so comfy you forget they're on your head.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
My Denon AH-D2000 broke after 10 years last week. I didn't like them that much anyway, as the leather pads heated my ears up within like 15 minutes. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 599 yesterday and they're terrific in terms of comfort.

The funny thing is that my head is too big for about 60% of all headphones I tried yesterday. None of the Beyerdynamic headphones fit, the HyperX Cloud II was too tight as well. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x fit and sounded fantastic (possibly better than the HD 599? Not sure, it was close) but the leather pads killed me. Why does that crap exist? Also, they tended to fall off when I tiled my head forward, as they're on-ears. The DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm sounded a bit bassy (in a muddy, negative way) compared to the HD 599 and the ATH-M50x, so it's not a big loss that it wouldn't fit.

The HD 599 are a 10/10 in terms of comfort and a 8 or 9 in terms of audio quality. I'm very happy with them. I love headphones that are so comfy you forget they're on your head.

Yeah I found the M50x rather uncomfortable. Hot ears, constant pressure on the ears.

Then I upgraded to the Shure SRH1840, which are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head. Very light, velour pads, open design, not too much clamp force. It felt like they disappeared after 5 minutes.

Comfort is so important. Enjoy your HD599s, they are really great headphones!