• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019

Hi! We're still working to improve this down the road, but for now you will have an option when you launch to bypass anticheat. This will allow you to play around with campaign and customs but not allow you to play any match made games. I highly suggest making a copy/backup of anything you modify so you'll be able to switch back and forth easily.

Commenter is a certified 343 employee.

I'm almost certain there would be a lot of people out there who aren't fully aware of how far MS is going to allow modding of these games. It is actually a big credit to them that they're even allowing this let alone embracing it so thoroughly and for that, I think they deserve some kudos.

tl;dr there are going to be mods in Halo, go buy it.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Man this is gonna pay off big down the line, hopefully we get some big user projects like what was done for Halo CE PC

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, they're really going all-in on this.

Good call on MS/ 343's part, hopefully it pays off.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Ske7ch has repeated multiple times that 343i wants modders to essentially take ownership of MCC and make it into something completely else.

And people really are making it into something else. During the Flight, which had a limited amount of files, we already had partial VR support, tag injection, model swaps, unlocking hidden content, playing MP on Firefight/Campaign maps and many other things. Can't wait what people will be able to create with all the files at their disposal.

Jun 17, 2018
Got this on Xbox but I'm definitely going to pick this up in a steam sale in future. Mods on Halo is a no brainer, hopefully the tools are up to snuff.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Ske7ch has repeated multiple times that 343i wants modders to essentially take ownership of MCC and make it into something completely else.

And people really are making it into something else. During the Flight, which had a limited amount of files, we already had partial VR support, tag injection, model swaps, unlocking hidden content, playing MP on Firefight/Campaign maps and many other things. Can't wait what people will be able to create with all the files at their disposal.
I'm excited to try it in vr when that gets finished. I hope they somehow get Index controllers to work.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Bypass anticheat?

Screen_Shot_2019-01-17_at_4.22.43_PM.jpg

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is exactly what everyone wants. Keep MP anti-cheated but allow for mods by disabling access.

How else would mods work on the Steam version of the game? Forgive me, I am unfamiliar w mods and Steam games. I thought that's what Steam Workshop was for primarily?

Usually by adding or editing files in the game folder

Oct 25, 2017
How is this going to work on Microsoft Store / Game Pass? You aren't allowed to access the folder of the game. Is there a separate mod folder it'll load files from?

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
How else would mods work on the Steam version of the game? Forgive me, I am unfamiliar w mods and Steam games. I thought that's what Steam Workshop was for primarily?

You can access the game files on Steam easily, you can't on GamePass/Windows Store. Unless MS enables some way to add mods from inside the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see them adding Steam Workshop to the game considering they would be making the Windows Store version even more inferior
Microsoft Store versions of all games are already inferior because they don't let you touch the game file folder at all. It's a huge problem with Game Pass that makes the service not worth $10/month.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They said this alot of times already tho. Its good news

"One of the coolest parts about PC is it's an open-ended platform," he told PCGamesN. "My perfect world is, you put these games out in a great baseline experience that's true to the originals, and then the community takes the keys at that point and they make it their own."

Jarrard added: "Who knows what Reach on PC will look like years from now? I'm excited."

Oct 25, 2017
That's why it's only $5/month. It's a beta. We know they are working on it.
This folder locking is a feature that Microsoft has specifically programmed in - it's not default behavior of a game installer or launcher. We need Microsoft to remove this terrible "feature", so being a beta is not really an excuse. It's something that shouldn't have been done in the first place.

You click subscribe to install it. Need to be logged into your Microsoft Account to tie it to the game obviously. Can also browse and install the mods from within the game as well.
This still limits the modding capability to mods that other people (with the Steam version) have released. Are you able to make modifications yourself if you're stuck with the Game Pass version?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
This still limits the modding capability to mods that other people (with the Steam version) have released. Are you able to make modifications yourself if you're stuck with the Game Pass version?
No just developer enabled mod support atm, similar to Steam Workshop. True mod support, is not there yet. But they have talked about opening it up more. So we'll see.

I suspect Halo modding will be limited to the Steam version for now, unless 343 is making something official.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
You click subscribe to install it. Need to be logged into your Microsoft Account to tie it to the game obviously. Can also browse and install the mods from within the game as well.
Oh that's cool and convenient! But I guess you can't install them "manually", so you have to rely on site/service where the in-game menu fetches it from?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Will I finally be able to play through the campaign as Nep Nep with other Neptunia characters replacing Noble team too?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I'm still going to wait for impressions (no point pre-ordering a game 12 hours before release), the fact that they seemingly went the extra mile is a good sign.
Wow, is that gonna allow Steam Proton to run it on Linux?
Almost certainly, since the main obstacle to running it via Proton was the anti-cheat.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I wonder how much drive space the MCC will take on PC when the whole thing is released

Oct 31, 2017
They should add Steam Workshop support and watch player userbase grow.
I like the way MS is moving in the PC space currently, but they should take this one step further:
negotiate an even better deal with Valve, just give up on the pile of shit that the Windows Store currently is (at least for their PC/Xbox games) and move the Gamepass on Steam BY DEFAULT.

I activated three months of Gamepass Ultimate for one miserable buck, I downloaded and played Forza Horizon 4 and that experience alone was already miserable enough (controllers not working properly, messy way to install files on your PC, etc) to make me wish to never touch the Windows Store ever again, even at that price.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
There must be a BR somewhere in Reach's files that we could replace the DMR with.