• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Some industry people have noticed a repairing storage database glitch when doing so that could end up bricking your console.
www.inverse.com

How to avoid the PS5 storage glitch that's bricking brand-new consoles

The PlayStation 5 already appears to be having some technical issues on launch day. Here's how you can avoid them.

EDIT - Others in the thread have pointed out issues with playing PS4 games via an external hard drive.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played miles Morales, but I have used rest mode with GI and Astrobot without issue. RIP to those affected though.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I had exactly the same issue Jeff Gerstmann described in his tweet and I don't have Spider-Man Remastered. For me, the console hard locked after trying to play Doom Eternal off an external hard drive.

I feel this issue might be more complex than just one particular game causing issues.

OP
OP
Brees2Thomas

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I had exactly the same issue Jeff Gerstmann described in his tweet and I don't have Spider-Man Remastered. For me, the console hard locked after trying to play Doom Eternal off an external hard drive.

I feel this issue might be more complex than just one particular game causing issues.
I'm confused. I thought for now external storage could only be used for storing PS4 games, not playing them.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
luckily nothing too serious on my end, but spiderman did crash on me while i was trying to use spotify in the background. Tried closing the application, but then I just got stuck on an endless loop of the PS5 trying to close the app and I had to disconnect the power cord to shut it down. On that note, does anyone here know how to force shut down the PS5 without removing the power cord?

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018

It seems there's 2 main issues. This spider man remastered issue above, and using external hard drives for PS4 games.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Gonna be honest the idea of putting any game console, no matter how advanced, in rest mode while a game is running just isn't a good idea to me in the first place. I've always saved and shut the games completely.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It seems there's 2 main issues. This spider man remastered issue above, and using external hard drives for PS4 games.
Is this external PS4 issue a recurring thing? It's happening a lot? The Spider-Man glitch is frustrating but workable, but not being able to play my games as intended without fear of hard locks would be very frustrating

TAYREL713

Oct 30, 2017
Not Spidey related that we found we could lock the system up just by saving in FFVII Remake. My partner is one of those people who like having multiple saves in RPGs incase something happens to another. So she saves, moves to another slot and saves again. While doing this, the PS5 hardlocked. Like nothing I would do would fix the issue. I finally had to unplug it from the back. This happened twice last night.

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
I played trails of cold steel 4 for several hours last night off my external hard drive with no issues. But I was manually closing the game, I didn't use rest mode with it. No need with that game.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Gonna be honest the idea of putting any game console, no matter how advanced, in rest mode while a game is running just isn't a good idea to me in the first place. I've always saved and shut the games completely.
I don't know, I played through the entirety of Spider-man on my base ps4 without ever closing the game, it's more ridiculous that a brand new console bricks because of seemingly random reasons....

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Miles Morales and plugging in an external drive feel like two things that a lot of people will be doing with their PS5s.

Hopefully this is easily fixed if there is a real problem!

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I don't know, I played through the entirety of Spider-man on my base ps4 without ever closing the game, it's more ridiculous that a brand new console bricks because of seemingly random reasons....

I agree with you, don't get me wrong. I'm just so careful with hardware due to growing up building and troubleshooting touchy-ass PCs and other tech in the 90s that it borders on pathological. It took me years to be comfortable with putting my PC in sleep mode.

OP
OP
Brees2Thomas

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Not Spidey related that we found we could lock the system up just by saving in FFVII Remake. My partner is one of those people who like having multiple saves in RPGs incase something happens to another. So she saves, moves to another slot and saves again. While doing this, the PS5 hardlocked. Like nothing I would do would fix the issue. I finally had to unplug it from the back. This happened twice last night.
Thanks for the heads up. Seems like PS has lots of kinks to iron out. It makes you wonder what errors were present before the day 1 patch.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always close all games before going into rest mode, don't know why. With how fast PS5 boots games, it's not needed as much nowadays anyways.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Is this external PS4 issue a recurring thing? It's happening a lot? The Spider-Man glitch is frustrating but workable, but not being able to play my games as intended without fear of hard locks would be very frustrating

I have had no issues playing off an external drive (SATA SSD connected over USB 3.1). There isn't enough information to make any conclusive statements about any of this yet.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I played trails of cold steel 4 for several hours last night off my external hard drive with no issues. But I was manually closing the game, I didn't use rest mode with it. No need with that game.
Same. I always quit the game before shutting down. It's an habit I have from 20+ years playing on PC

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I have done this hundreds of times with both regular and PS4 Pro. Not once have I ever had a problem

Nov 14, 2017
Glad I wasn't planning on playing Spider-Man Remastered until the patch for save transfer goes live. Hopefully the fix whatever the issue is.

This playing PS4 games from an external drive also seems like a big problem if it's occuring a lot.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I have had no issues playing off an external drive (SATA SSD connected over USB 3.1). There isn't enough information to make any conclusive statements about any of this yet.
Well, this spider man glitch seems like it can be reproduced by everyone, so we can be conclusive that that needs to be fixed haha

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Hard to tell. It's the common denominator for 99% of the issues though. But I don't think those are truly widespread either. I wasn't going to hook up mine to my PS5 but If I was I'd wait a few days or a week for an update or official word. Some people also have no issues with it too though.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Rest mode was flawless in the PS4/Pro generation. I have used it a thousand + times without issue. I have put the PS5 to sleep probably 5 times already without issue.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I never put my system in rest mode, but thanks for the heads up. My best friend always leaves his PS4 in that state, and he has a PS5 coming as well next week.

You aren't cutting the power, and the console was designed around being able to do that. I would never personally do it, but that's more from 20+ years on PC as well as was mentioned above. The other reason is due to my location and the crappy power fluctuations or outages that can happen over the course of a few months. I just turn everything off, and when I know for a fact we are about to have a storm, I unplug most of my high priced electronics.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
This is playing it off an external or ? just booting ff7r up in general?

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ got it to do it while playing miles morales, went to the home menu while I️ was eating dinner then accidentally clicked a notification that blood borne was done downloading and ready to play. It went to launch it, and the systems went black.
Reset it and did that rebuilding the data base bullshit.