• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
816FJ1GdeGL._SS500_.jpg

HEALTH, LA noise rockers, release their 4th album today, VOL. 4 :: SLAVES OF FEAR. By far their most intimate, dark and visceral album to date, it takes cues from Broken-era Nine Inch Nails, but furthers the pop-influences that started with DEATH MAGIC. I would even say that this is HEALTH's most cohesive album to date, it hits hard and fast.

STREAM :: APPLE MUSIC :: SPOTIFY
PURCHASE PHYSICAL :: AUTOGRAPHED CD :: TRANSLUCENT RED VINYL

HEALTH DISCOGRAPHY :: DEATH MAGIC :: GET COLOR :: HEALTH S/T :: MAX PAYNE 3 SOUNDTRACK

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
man ever since they dropped their witch house vibe they haven't been compelling since. maybe this is a return to form, but the writeup sure doesn't sound like it.

WH forever

Oct 27, 2017
Saw them live around the time of Get Colour, in a tiny sweaty venue, and they were amazing. Nothing since then really grabbed me but I'll always pay attention to what they're up to.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Just bought my tickets to see them in SF on April.

Definitely into the Dark Industrial vibe they've carved out on here. Strange Days fucking goes IN. I can't wait to see them perform that live.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
NC-17 is so fucking weird and creepy even compared to their usual output and I love every second of it. I'm gonna look like such a dork thrashing to it when they come here in April.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I had no idea this was coming out. Listening now. Loving the dark vibes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this might be my favorite HEALTH album so far. I really loved DEATH MAGIC, especially coming off the excellent Max Payne soundtrack, but Vol. 4 is just so strong and cohesive.

I'm hyped to see this album performed live.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the process of diversifying my musical listening, so I'm glad I decided to check this out. I saved the album on Spotify and will be diving in later.

Good looks, OP!

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Bought off of Onyko Music to get a .flac release. I'm on track 05 now and I'm pretty blown away with the album. I'm a fan of their past work, particularly the Max Payne 3 soundtrack, but this is something else. Thanks op.

It's always great to hear a band get better with each new release.

Jazzkokehead

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This album is so good it blew my cock off. Bought it on vinyl right after I listened to it. I loved Death Magic, but this is way heavier and more aggressive then I expected. Love it - the early 90's industrial vibe is real, and that shit is totally my jam. Trying to convince the SO to go see them with me in Toronto (they're playing with Youth Code, who I also love, so fuck yeah).

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The album 100% isn't 3.4 bad, but it is worse than DM. Nothing hits the same way as STONEFIST or DARK ENOUGH.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
About right. It's fine. The album is pretty much a continuation of death magic. Same sound, same everything. I don't expect them to go back to their noise roots but I want them to keep going forward. This isn't that.
I don't really feel this way; if that was the case I'd personally like it a lot more. Death Magic was a dark record. SoF is "heavier" but almost artificially so, as most of the songs are built on chugging/chopped up riffs. It also has almost none of the tribal drums and squalls of noise from their old stuff that still played a modest part in a few DM tracks.

I'll probably like it more after continued listening, but it didn't blow me away on first listen like Death Magic did.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Before this thread I had never heard of this band before and had zero idea what kind of music they make. I admittedly have very little experience with music like this so the only vibe it conjures up in my mind is NIN but with the vocal of some indie emo band frontman. Half way through it, very interesting, definitely have to be in a certain mood for it though. How is their other work?

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There are certain things that ring true in here. HEALTH's songwriting does tend to be best at its most ambiguous, stuff like "Women and men breaking their promises" repeated four times (and that's the entire song) and "All we lose we learned from you" is way cooler and grimly mysterious than a pretty blase song about an empty relationship and literally all of Life. This would be fine if the music covered it up, but some of the riffs on SoF are pret-ty, pretty bad. (Feel Nothing is, frankly, embarrassing.)

But oversimplifying the album as nothing but shitty riffs doesn't really make sense and basically reeks of a critic not wanting to actually engage with the album. Strange Days (1999) is basically perfect industrial, and categorizing it as chugging the same note misses the arpeggio in the verses (which is deliberately missing in the prechorus to emphasize the heaviness) and basically completely misses the more experimental tracks like Black Static and particularly NC-17, which I can't heap enough praise onto.

Basically, the flaws of SoF were there on Death Magic too. The lyrics were just as bad, praising Stonefist while you criticize SoF's simplistic riffs is beyond tone deaf, and SoF really isn't that much heavier of an album than Death Magic was, not that that's automatically a bad thing. Get Color is still their best but I don't mind the new direction at all, especially if it occasionally gives us stuff like USA Boys.

Also the fact that Sasha claims that Jupiter tied the group together is pretty sad when you consider why Jupiter left, and claiming that the word "slave" is offensive because slavery only existed as something Americans did to Africans (???) is very, VERY weird.

they gave Ariana's trash-ass new album an 8, The Fragile a 2, and I Get Wet a .4 so whatever

Before this thread I had never heard of this band before and had zero idea what kind of music they make. I admittedly have very little experience with music like this so the only vibe it conjures up in my mind is NIN but with the vocal of some indie emo band frontman. Half way through it, very interesting, definitely have to be in a certain mood for it though. How is their other work?

HEALTH get compared to NIN a lot when that's not wholly accurate, I think it happens because one of their three biggest sources of exposure was touring with them once. They've basically been honing their sound in front of the global public. Their first album is noise rock to the core to the point where one song is literally just a drum solo with occasional screaming, and they've gotten more melodic over time. It took them six years to make Death Magic, but if you follow the side shit they did in between, the evolution from Get Color being guitar focused and Death Magic being mostly made on computers makes a lot of sense. Death Magic is their most accessible album, but Get Color is still their overall best. You're not gonna find a more perfect fusion of inaccessible noise rock and pop-punk than Die Slow.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm not even particularly a HEALTH fan but i liked what i heard so far, that pitchfork review had me all wtf

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this record is just not memorable and lacks any sort of initial oomph. It's dull for a band who has always been not dull.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Peggy and I like the track lol

Tbh stuff like that track is more ofwhat I expected from Slaves. The Soccer Mommy collab track + DM had me thinking these dudes where just a few degrees off of being a more aggressive and unsettling Crystal Castles (which isn't bad imo) but I think most of the tracks here are kinda weak ;(

It feels like they sucked out all the color from DM and their best stuff to make something that's really bottom heavy. A couple of tracks are growing on me so P4K def off with their 3 whatever but I would kill for something like DRUGS EXIST or MEN TODAY, songs that are weird and heavy without being little more than drums and a chopped up riff.

Did they ever say why Jupiter left the band btw? I don't know if he was the secret sauce considering I think his stuff with Alice Glass has a lot of similar problems to Slaves but yeah.

Anyway John is still funny as fuck and I like their older songs so I'll def be seeing them on tour.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Been listening to this album all week, my fave of the year so far. Need to check out their discography now. Only know them for their Max Payne song.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of these guys before but I gave it a try and really really liked it. Standouts for me were PSYCHONAUTS and NC-17.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I love HEALTH, but this album is great and forgettable in equal measure. So weird.

Feel Nothing is probably the greatest track on the album.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So yeah, saw them live yesterday and it was really cool. Venue was small but packed, so that was awesome. Great atmosphere.

They opened with Pain from the Max Payne 3 soundtrack. I mean holy shit, how amazing is that.

Set list was super diverse. A lot from Vol 4 of course, but also classics from Disco3, Death Magic and even the banger We Are Water from Get Color. And of course Max Payne's Tears.

One nitpick: it was short. little over 45 minutes. which was kinda unreal considering how far we traveled.