• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This picture isn't even a new phenomena. Folks been warning this was coming and seeing it happen for years.

Keyboard

I hope everyone stating this is sad considers if their own actions might help. For instance, if you eat meat on a regular basis you're a large contributor to the issue of climate change.
You might as well throw in video games since some gaming setups consume more electricity than refrigerators do.

Real life is too scary and depressing that people prefer to spend time forgetting about reality's problems.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The sad thing is this video will do little to change the minds of people who think global warming is a hoax. They already have their mind set that global warming is some sort of conspiracy and no amount of evidence will sway them to believe otherwise.

When Polar Bears become extinct, then people may finally see the damage we're doing to our planet. However, at that point it'll be too late to reverse the damage we've caused. In all honesty it may already be too late.

It makes me feel useless because I feel what ever steps I take to be more environmentally friendly are in vain. It would take a global effort, the likes of which humanity has never seen, for there to be any hope of stopping damage we're causing. But again, this isn't something that I can see happening, especially with the US recently pulling out of the Paris Agreement.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just makes me sad. What is it going to take for humanity to grow up? We as a people are to self centered.

When did it all go wrong? We inflict to much suffering and it takes other good hearted people to try to fix everyone else's horrible mistakes.

It's like there is so much more evil in the world than good.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Quick, someone give this bear a coke!

seriously though, this isn't an outlier. Many are suffering due to the climate change melting ice. We are gonna see more of these pic and videos as the years go on. Sadly, many will call this fake news and won't do anything until it's too late.

Nov 6, 2017
On every celestial body we have studied in the heavens, with our limited gaze, we have found no sign of life. No sign of the unique development of the teeming biosphere we see on Earth. Even if life has developed on other world, the Fermi paradox holds true, and we hear no messages from any semblance of intelligent life. With billions of years behind us in the age of our galaxy, we are as isolated in the Great Garden of Time as we are in the vast ocean of space.

All this means that we may actually be the only intelligent stewards of life in the galaxy, at this moment. The only species with the ability to consciously decide whether to preserve each impossibly unique form of life that evolves here, and nowhere else in the galaxy, or to destroy it. Our ultimate destiny, and merit as a species, will depend on the future of our biosphere, because we are choosing that future.

There is no Interstellar, no escape for us. Our destiny here is our Judgment Day. We value this most unique precious gift in the universe, the life around us, or we kill it and die with it. And all the religious visions of Armageddon have the themes right if not the details: if fiery apocalypse comes about, we will have both chosen it and deserve it.

One of the best posts I've read, that was spot on my good sir

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
That is beyond sad. Also, I don't think you can get the collective humankind to up and change their lifestyles quickly enough to save our little rock and it's rightful inhabitants. The only way that happens is if some...entity gathers up the biggest and baddest force in the world and straight up blackmails the rest of the world to change immediately or face death by some kind of deathstar type device. The problem is that the problem is too multilayered for the cause and effect of everyday routine actions to be visible.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
While this is a sad picture, that bear could have a cancer, be sick, or previously injured leading to it being unsuccessful at hunting. Barring an autopsy, they have no real way of knowing why it is starving (which, incidentally, is pretty much the fate of ALL wild animals that don't get caught and eaten by something else) so to attribute it to climate change alone is presumptuous. Plus polar bears are really just arctic adapted brown bears, which are in no way endangered, so even if they go extinct due to loss of an arctic habitat the brown bear will probably just expand up into the now warmer and ice-free area, though more likely the polar bears will just interbreed with brown bears and the species will collapse back into one again until such time as the arctic cools again.
So no big deal, right?

smh

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
So no big deal, right?

smh

Well, if you are a seal, moose, or some other species fed upon by polar bears, it's pretty good news. One less ravenous monster hunting you down. Perspective....

I'm just saying that this picture is not really indicative of anything unless there was a scientist monitoring this particular bear, documenting that it engaged in normal bear behavior but was persistently unsuccessful in hunting, leading to it's current condition. Or if there were several hundred in this area that all looked the same. But if this an outlier bear in this condition I'm not sure what conclusion you could draw from it. Clearly the arctic is thawing, but polar bears as a species will probably adapt and survive, or just reintegrate into the brown bear population from whence they came originally. From a global sense it really is "no big deal".

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Whether a picture is indicative of something is not required for a photo to be evocative of something.

Your dispassionate Scientism regarding the specific fate of polar bears happens to be taking the piss on the sorrowful sense of future (and present) loss for ecosystems destroyed or impacted by man and man-made climate change, that the photo has evoked in other posters here, who do not require specific evidence that this bear died because of climate change to have those emotions evoked.

Which makes you which: Unintentionally obtuse to the emotionally evocative nature of the photo? Man-made climate change denier? Edgelord?

Spongebob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't say you were. But that's where you might have been getting some misguided information from, at least indirectly.
My info comes straight from academia. Scientific studies have shown that polar bear populations aren't at an immediate risk.

Edit: Potential future risks exist, but the image of the endangered polar bear popularized in the media doesn't stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Edit 2: We really need to look beyond charismatic megafauna if we are to be intelligent about how we respond to climate change.

Last edited:

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Well, if you are a seal, moose, or some other species fed upon by polar bears, it's pretty good news. One less ravenous monster hunting you down. Perspective....

I'm just saying that this picture is not really indicative of anything unless there was a scientist monitoring this particular bear, documenting that it engaged in normal bear behavior but was persistently unsuccessful in hunting, leading to it's current condition. Or if there were several hundred in this area that all looked the same. But if this an outlier bear in this condition I'm not sure what conclusion you could draw from it. Clearly the arctic is thawing, but polar bears as a species will probably adapt and survive, or just reintegrate into the brown bear population from whence they came originally. From a global sense it really is "no big deal".

You don't know any of these. The scientist claimed polar bears may go extinct in the near future, so obviously they aren't adapting fast enough to human made climate change. They play an important role in the ecosystem whether you think it effects things globally or not

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we can feed these starving polar bears selfish fat cats running lots of the polluting businesses of the world, as well as the Conservative enablers that think noting about bleeding this planet dry of resources because "we can". The way I look at it, it would kill two birds with one stone!

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I shouldn't have looked. I am glad I did, it's a reminder of how selfish we are to think that only we have the right to shape this world.

We're responsible for this. Humans are fucking trash.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Heartbreaking video to watch, hard to even look at when you know how amazing and powerful they are and there it is starving to death because of conditions humans have caused. I have no problem with what the photographer did but I'm not sure I'd have been able to not at least try to help it.

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Because of expected habitat loss caused by climate change, the polar bear is classified as a vulnerable species, and at least three of the nineteen polar bear subpopulations are currently in decline.[8] However, at least two of the nineteen subpopulations are currently increasing, while another six are considered stable.[9] For decades, large-scale hunting raised international concern for the future of the species, but populations rebounded after controls and quotas began to take effect

Doesnt sound that bad to me.

Seems to being doing then the mammoth did lol

LatvjuAvs

Nov 13, 2017
Life, it comes and goes. A rat or snake have died of hunger too. Trapped wasp in a room dies of hunger.
Nature adopts and strives.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
It may have been way past saving...but this is the sort of situation where I'd say "illegal" probably wouldn't stop me from trying. Obviously you can't go hands on with a creature like that, but maybe a little something put in his path would ease the suffering.

Ease? more like prolong his suffering givving it more days to live, unless you plan to feed the bear for life

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
We're basically at a point where the only polar bears left well be the ones artificially kept alive in zoos.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While this is a sad picture, that bear could have a cancer, be sick, or previously injured leading to it being unsuccessful at hunting. Barring an autopsy, they have no real way of knowing why it is starving (which, incidentally, is pretty much the fate of ALL wild animals that don't get caught and eaten by something else) so to attribute it to climate change alone is presumptuous. Plus polar bears are really just arctic adapted brown bears, which are in no way endangered, so even if they go extinct due to loss of an arctic habitat the brown bear will probably just expand up into the now warmer and ice-free area, though more likely the polar bears will just interbreed with brown bears and the species will collapse back into one again until such time as the arctic cools again.

So no big deal, right?

smh

It goes both ways - yes, as our "marching orders" we need to focus on the elements and species that will cause the most change, cute or not...

... but we also need to acknowledge human nature and the raw fact that for the vast majority of humans, a connection to emotion is what motivates action. Nobody takes a bee to the vet, but we take dogs. If you want people to actually do something, you need to appeal to their nature.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
That picture brought me to tears. And yet there are still those that deny climate change. We are doomed on this planet unless things drastically change, it may already be too late.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Ease? more like prolong his suffering givving it more days to live, unless you plan to feed the bear for life

That little bit of food may have helped him last a little longer to his next meal. If I was him I'd certainly take the food....not saying this is the right course of action, and all in all I think you're right, but that's the mind set I would have when out there. That little bit of hope, even amongst odds that make my actions futile, are enough for me to act on them and try.

Stasis

Nov 6, 2017
MTL & NYC
I have trouble even seeing the pics. I know this going on. Everywhere. Climate change. Pollution. I read about it every day and do everything I possibly can to help it. =/

I hope this doesn't break any rules, I was coming here to post this and figured it goes in with this topic even if it's not IN Canada but any Canadian citizen who wants to help stop ONE bad thing out of the millions can sign this:

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-1385

It's about pollution in the Mekong river and how Canada imports regardless, knowing full well how they're destroying wildlife there. We're doing it to our own country and we're supporting people who do it in others by buying. Takes literally 2 minutes to do, no registration or account creation. They won't contact you. Need to be a Canadian citizen. All you get in an email confirmation you click. A doctor at a local hospital (great guy) created it.

At the same time, if anyone has any others (for Canada at least...) I'd love to see them. Hell, I'd love a topic where we can put our collective power together and sign petitions/vote on things that CAN make a difference. This one is small, I know (its at 419 votes, needs 500 for next step) but there are MANY. I don't wanna take away from THIS topic. I want to add to it and build on it. Forums like this, we have a lot of power in numbers if we care. Mods, if me posting this here goes against rules, let me know/edit/erase it. But my desire stands and I'd like people to see it. A) Someone to create a topic where we can all check and post petitions that will potentially make a difference, and I know Canada DOES listen. The USA I'm not sure right now... and B) this petition as a start.

We're entering the 6th mass extinction. So many animals we know of now won't be here in OUR lifetimes, let alone our kids/next generation. I recommend this book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17910054-the-sixth-extinction

edit: And yes, I realize I'm asking someone else to create a topic while I could. I just feel it's important and should be created by someone who has experience with solid topics. =/

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This'll get shared online for a day or two, people will shed a tear and we'll all go back to what we were doing with our lives, no worse or better for it.
Personally this'll bum me out for a couple of hours and it'll be out of my mind by tomorrow. Gotta free up some space in my head for all the other terrible shit thatll happen tomorrow and the day after that.

Epsilon-delta

Oct 25, 2017
You might as well throw in video games since some gaming setups consume more electricity than refrigerators do.

Real life is too scary and depressing that people prefer to spend time forgetting about reality's problems.
Various forms of entertainment serve as an escape from reality, a la bread and circuses.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Whether a picture is indicative of something is not required for a photo to be evocative of something.

Your dispassionate Scientism regarding the specific fate of polar bears happens to be taking the piss on the sorrowful sense of future (and present) loss for ecosystems destroyed or impacted by man and man-made climate change, that the photo has evoked in other posters here, who do not require specific evidence that this bear died because of climate change to have those emotions evoked.

Which makes you which: Unintentionally obtuse to the emotionally evocative nature of the photo? Man-made climate change denier? Edgelord?

I'm not quite sure what "Scientism" is but it seems contradictory to accuse me of it and then say I'm a climate change denier :P Anyway, my problem with putting up this single bear as a poster child of how climate change is negatively affecting polar bear populations is that this bear may well have some other problem. So if this bear is a symbol of the dangers of climate change, and then it turns out that this particular bear actually swallowed some barbed wire, or has a fatal parasite infection, or has a tumor preventing it from eating, then folks who DO deny climate change will then say "see, you bleeding heart liberals can't even show a single bear dying of climate change!". So despite whatever emotional response you have to charismatic megafauna, it is counterproductive in the long run to not have all your scientific ducks in a row first. I doubt there is any type of consensus as to how polar bears will adapt (or not) to declining arctic ice and what impact that will have on the rest of the ecosystem. So being proud that you can be easily emotionally manipulated by something that fits your narrative doesn't seem very helpful to me.

Is "edgelord" the new emo? Or just being a devils advocate for the sake of argument?

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States

Yeah just reintegrate and adapt you stupid fucking bears, right?

That's not how wildlife works. The slightest changes in global temps can have catastrophic results

No big deal that the great barrier reef is like 50% dead now either right? Coral should learn to like the new temps or something

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Yeah just reintegrate and adapt you stupid fucking bears, right?

That's not how wildlife works. The slightest changes in global temps can have catastrophic results

No big deal that the great barrier reef is like 50% dead now either right? Coral should learn to like the new temps or something

What are you talking about? That is EXACTLY how wildlife adapts. Polar bears are just an arctic adapted brown bear. There is nothing magical about them. If the arctic changes they will likely just reintegrate into the brown bear population that will expand into the warmer, more hospitable arctic region.

Coral reef dieoffs are an entirely separate conversation, not sure how you made that connection when discussing a starving polar bear.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are you talking about? That is EXACTLY how wildlife adapts. Polar bears are just an arctic adapted brown bear. There is nothing magical about them. If the arctic changes they will likely just reintegrate into the brown bear population that will expand into the warmer, more hospitable arctic region.

Coral reef dieoffs are an entirely separate conversation, not sure how you made that connection when discussing a starving polar bear.

You really expect the population to survive in this modern pace?

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
You really expect the population to survive in this modern pace?

Sure, why wouldn't it? Brown bears are doing fine. I'm sure polar bears can adapt to less ice, just like the seals and other animals they prey on will.

Will ANY megafauna, especially aggressive predators, survive continued human expansion? Hard to say. If the NorthWest passage stays ice-free year round and becomes the new oceanic shipping passage of choice that will bring in a lot of human habitation and development. Close proximity to polar bears WILL lead to bear depopulation, but that is more due to human encroachment than bear starvation, IMHO. All ultimate symptoms of climate change of course but not exactly the same thing as saying polar bears can't adapt to warmer climates so much as habitat loss to humans. Still, with proper nature preserve establishment and economic incentives through hunting you can probably still keep a good number of them around.

DecentDuck

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
You grow up admiring these animals only to later in life find out your species has and continues to destroy their habitat.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How many in here are vegan, or at least consume meat and dairy in an environmentaly responsible way, avoid driving oil powered cars unnecessarily or don't own a car at all, recycle, and watches water consumption?

I do all of them.

And it is disgusting to know that so many won't bother to make a true difference. And the majority is either in denial or just simply lack empathy with life, prefering a self-centered destructive lifestyle.