• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I was on the side of calling it for the blalant transphobia (even more with the previous horrible takes the devs have done), but looking into the numbers more in depth I think it might be simple coincidence.
Small thing about the %: That is not a direct percentage but rather the effect of 2 different things:
-They put the game and Soundtrack at 35% discount.
-The bundle pack has a default discount of 10% (buying them together is a 10% discount), which has been the case for a time (at least that I can find).

This type of bundle takes into consideration the individual price of the game (and if you already own a part of it, the price of that owned thing is not taken into consideration).
What it happens then is that the discounted prices get a further discount due to the bundle to reach that number:
0.65 (35% discount over the base game and soundtrack) * 0.9 (10% discount of the bundle) = 0.585
So the bundle discount is 41.5%.

Now, a 35% discount is still suspectable, but as it makes the game exactly 7.49$ (the normal price devs look at when making discounts) I am unsure whether they really wanted the 41% bundle discount or not.
Plausible deniability.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
41% is a very transphobic dogwhistle. A comparison would be something like selling it at 88% off, as an allegory to 88 being a similar dogwhistle.

Edit: late reply, this is redundant now lol

haha sorry, it was my lack of reading comprehension. it is 100% a dogwhistle and absolutely vile behaviour, i just wasn't sure whether or not it was actually a dev themselves who made the twitter posts. but it looks like it is both the dev and the dev's gf.

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Also, just the gf wouldn't be able to set the sale like this on her own.
The devs set the sale prices, by setting a 35% off sale that just happens to translate to a 41% off discount they are doubling down on the GF's transphobic behavior, while giving themselves plausible deniability about the 41% dogwhistle.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
The devs set the sale prices, by setting a 35% off sale that just happens to translate to a 41% off discount they are doubling down on the GF's transphobic behavior, while giving themselves plausible deniability about the 41% dogwhistle.
Did you mean to quote me there? I was saying that regardless of what the gf said, this sale was absolutely done by a member of the dev team. The person I was quoting was focussing on the gf in their post.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's -42% here, but you can tell by the user reviews that this signal has reached the intended audience.

Reported the game. This is abhorrent beyond words.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well I'm just catching up with this myself and those tweets are obviously bad enough... but now with this?

Never getting a sale off me.

OP
OP
MinusTydus

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Did you mean to quote me there? I was saying that regardless of what the gf said, this sale was absolutely done by a member of the dev team. The person I was quoting was focussing on the gf in their post.
No, sorry. Posting in a hurry. Meant to quote about the accuracy of the title. I feel that the title is accurate, the mods may change if they disagree. The devs, by posting the sale, ARE doubling down on the GF's transphobia, not necessarily their own.

They also give themselves an out: "The 41% number is just a coincidence!"

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I looked at the Steam page and went to report one of the top reviews and it was already banned, but it still shows up as the top review and on the community page? WTF Valve

Edit:
Here is what it says if you click into it, this isn't indicated anywhere when you're looking at the Steam page and the review is still listed at the top for me.

Rvc0CbE.png

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm really disappointed seeing some posts here trying to argue it might be a coincidence. Shitheads in reviews and threads were already posting the 41% dog whistle. So it's not like the devs have any plausible deniability. They know what they're doing and the message they are sending.

It does make me wonder how many of the shitheads realise the devs are TERFs and thus are not actually their friends. They just share hatred.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Wow and their into lolis. (Niko/Nico is a child on a anime called love live which is about child singers). I hate people sometimes.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was on the side of calling it for the blalant transphobia (even more with the previous horrible takes the devs have done), but looking into the numbers more in depth I think it might be simple coincidence.
Small thing about the %: That is not a direct percentage but rather the effect of 2 different things:
-The bundle pack has a default discount of 10% (buying them together is a 10% discount), which has been the case for a time (at least that I can find).

This type of bundle takes into consideration the individual price of the game (and if you already own a part of it, the price of that owned thing is not taken into consideration).
What it happens then is that the discounted prices get a further discount due to the bundle to reach that number:
0.65 (35% discount over the base game and soundtrack) * 0.9 (10% discount of the bundle) = 0.585

Now, a 35% discount is still suspectable, but as it makes the game exactly 7.49$ (the normal price devs look at when making discounts) I am unsure whether they really wanted the 41% bundle discount or not.

There is zero reason to give these people the benefit of the doubt, especially when you look at those reviews and the fact that they're still ranting about trans people on twitter

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Fuck everything about this I only wish steam could revoke literally all of the sales. A game being decent isn't worth shit when people behind it are involved in this

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is honestly one of the most discussing things I've ever seen. Remove all games from those people and stop them from having a future in the gaming industry. Disgusting behavior!

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck TERFs. This shit is gross.

These devs belong in the same trashcan Graham Linehan is in.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Disgusting, and definitely a dog-whistle with all the asshats clamoring for a 40% discount beforehand on the Steam forums.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Also, please don't fall for the plausible deniability trap. This is a very classic alt right/terf strategy that allows them to get away with shit like this.

The devs have almost definitely seen the dogwhistle reviews by now. If it was truly a mistake they would've already changed the discount and/or apologized.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Me too. Maybe the 41% discount is only for the US?

The game by itself is 35% off but getting the bundle with the Soundtrack makes it 41% off because it's an additional 10% discount towards the 35% discounted game.

Most people believe this isn't a coincidence and in fact the devs being trolls but those who demand Valve to take the game down won't get their wishes because there just isn't concrete evidence of maliciousness. The devs can unfortunately feign coincidence that the discount represents that statistic and claim innocence.

Just place the game on ignore, dewishlist it and report any abuse from users on Steam. At least until more evidence is surfaced and with individuals like them, it's bound to surface.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
It always amazes me when people go out of their way to attack others whose choices have no bearing on their existence whatsoever.

SerTapTap

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ, quietly being a hateful asshole is one thing, this is just intentionally disgusting and petty. Why would you (hopefully) damage your own company just to be a dick to people that think slightly differently than your hateful ass?
The game by itself is 35% off but getting the bundle with the Soundtrack makes it 41% off because it's an additional 10% discount towards the 35% discounted game.

Most people believe this isn't a coincidence and in fact the devs being trolls but those who demand Valve to take the game down won't get their wishes because there just isn't concrete evidence of maliciousness. The devs can unfortunately feign coincidence that the discount represents that statistic and claim innocence.

Just place the game on ignore, dewishlist it and report any abuse from users on Steam. At least until more evidence is surfaced and with individuals like them, it's bound to surface.
I'm pretty sure it has to be manually put like that by the dev, right? I've never seen bundles not-intentionally total up to really weird percentages like this. Always 10% 25% 50% etc, except when a dev is intentionally 69% off or w/e

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

Hmmm....honestly this makes it sound like coincidence

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Is this not the "straight up trolling" that Steam said they weren't going to allow?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The page is full of user reviews making suicide jokes specifically about the sale.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ, quietly being a hateful asshole is one thing, this is just intentionally disgusting and petty. Why would you (hopefully) damage your own company just to be a dick to people that think slightly differently than your hateful ass?
They saw how the Iron Fury controversy went down and think that being bigoted assholes is a quick path to easy money (which, y'know, it is...)