• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually having a lot of fun with the expansion so far. I'm just rank 15 right now but after so many expansions that we saw the same decks on top despite new cards it is nice to finally feel like I'm playing with and against a lot of new cards. It's not just the rotation either. It's the choice cards they put in the hall of fame. I didn't get a chance to play the first day and was concerned reading about how good bomb warrior was but so far I haven't lost to a single bomb warrior. So far so good. I know it will get stale but imo this is the most interesting expansion launch I have experienced since Old Gods.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on spell Hunter? I saw a dog list and I've got most of the cards to run it. Thinking of crafting Zul'jin for it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
you know, as someone who used to play a lot of Hearthstone, got fed up with it, and now plays 4 hours a year, popping back in to see how gameplay has changed is always a fun way to get a kinda zoomed-out snapshot of how the game's design is changing. and i gotta say, the "discover/play a random secret" cards really perfectly sum up what is sort of bewildering to me about hearthstone's direction. i think secrets were a source of surprising and interesting depth in the game—they allowed for a lot of interesting bluffing and reading based on when they're played, what you've tested for, what you've already seen out of their deck. and then to suddenly slap totally arbitrary secrets on top of that seems to throw all that nuance in the trash in favor of having to always play around every possible secret your enemy could have randomly generated. why?

Oct 25, 2017
Trying out Lucentbark druid and I think it might be terrible, but it's been fun farming warriors. Can only get rid of a wall of taunts so many times.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they might struggle a little with other board decks that can work a little faster like zoo and murloc shaman.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Yup, done with Sunreaver Warmage in Shaman. Shudderwock hits me in the face every single damn time. Isn't worth it.

Edit: Kinda souring on control Shaman a bit as a whole. Seems like it'll be very meta dependent because I've been running into Hand Mages, Token Druids and various forms of Rogue and they're extremely difficult to deal with reactively. Might try building something a little more proactive and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whether to blow through my dust or wait until the meta settles
Well it's always smarter to wait, but if you want to play stuff regardless of how good or bad it might be, then craft it.

I came in to this expansion knowing that I was only playing Druid and Shaman, so I said screw it and crafted whatever I wanted from them and whatever neutral stuff I needed. Think I've used 10k dust already. No regrets.

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue is a pretty safe bet. Don't need tog. Waggle pick is awesome as I predicted. Lackeys are awesome as predicted. MUE is unnecessary. Gonna be a hot deck for a while I think.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
A friendly reminder to everyone. I've been using a combination of the below resources (also in the OT ;)) to keep an eye on the meta and the best decks.
Sadly I don't have much time to actually play them at the moment, but I'll get a shot this weekend.

Stat Trackers and Meta Reports:

HSReplay.net: Most comprehensive and up-to-date resource for live stats, meta reports, decks. All stats generated from users of Hearthstone Deck Tracker.
Vicious Syndicate Data Reaper Report: Home of the most popular meta report and lesser used live stat tracker
Best Deck Lists to Climb the Standard Ladder - Metastats.net: Metastats is a lesser known compendium of game and deck stats. Decklists are selected using machine learning algorithm so there is some weird stuff there, but these are typically actual decks people are playing at the time.

Competitive and Pro resources and twitter feed:

Competitive Hearthstone subreddit: Heavily moderated to focus on serious discussions and deck talk based on stats.
ahirunHS Twitter Feed: Curated list of decks and tweets. A go to twitter account for many pros.
HS Pro Deck Feed:Curated list of decks from top streamers and pros.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
You draw the cards first, then discard them if they are spells. Bombs cast immediately when drawn. Same thing (I believe) with Hakkar's blood cards. The animation actually tracks this, as the cards hit your hand before being discarded.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Thing that was bugging me about bombs is that they could be drawn by the 3/4 Shaman Elemental that draws expensive spells, and also if you hit it with Far Sight it'll blow up and then you draw a card without getting a 3 mana discount.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Thing that was bugging me about bombs is that they could be drawn by the 3/4 Shaman Elemental that draws expensive spells, and also if you hit it with Far Sight it'll blow up and then you draw a card without getting a 3 mana discount.

Drawing the bombs has actually been somewhat beneficial really. In a lot of cases you can eat the 5 damage and it delays their Dr. Boom or just makes it weaker if they decide to play it anyway. I've used that to my advantage quite a few times.

Granted I'm speaking more about Storm Chaser, it probably sucks all the time with Far Sight.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Bardo, don't be afraid to use an arena site or app to help pick your deck. Some of the best arena cards are ones you wouldn't normally use in constructed.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all think ziliax gets nerfed somehow? It's pretty ubiquitous.

And have you seen videos of the darkest hour deck in wild? It's more degenerate than Naga was.

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Zilliax is ubiquitous but it is inherently balanced.

What should be nerfed is the appearance rate of legendaries in discover pools.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Druid is my least-played class, but I've been playing Token Druid this evening and it feels stupid strong. With so many AoE spells gone, I can flood the board, and reload easily if they do happen to clear. Loving it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Too late. I shamed my family, my community, and myself with a paltry 0-3 showing. I've been playing this game for a year and still suck...
for what it's worth, if you want to get better at arena, there are a lot of resources on how to do so.

in my experience, if you go through the whole draft just picking the best card you're offered (with maybe some slight attention to curve in the last 10), then play every single turn to maximize your stats on board and minimize your opponent's, you can go 6-7 wins pretty easily. if you start playing around your enemies' possible cards whatsoever ("7 mana coming up against a mage, i'll take the trade that's stronger against flamestrike") it only goes up from there

i think most people's difficulty is that they overthink it—worry too much about synergy during the draft phase, hesitate on playing cards that seem like they could get more value later on (e.g. choosing to play nothing instead of a blood knight onto an empty board because "what if it hits a divine shield later"), etc. i think basically ignoring card text and just focusing on stats on board would help more players than it would hinder, tbh

i know it can be disheartening but it's gratifying to get good at, and it just takes practice!

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
i think most people's difficulty is that they overthink it—worry too much about synergy during the draft phase,

i know it can be disheartening but it's gratifying to get good at, and it just takes practice!

Ah, this! But I only play Arena when I get a free ticket. Too painful to actually spend gold/money on.

Midrange Hunter seems good... need to put an ooze in there, but trying to figure out a replacement--and then you lose the synergy from Master's Call...

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Druid is my least-played class, but I've been playing Token Druid this evening and it feels stupid strong. With so many AoE spells gone, I can flood the board, and reload easily if they do happen to clear. Loving it.

Acornbearer is doing work in my Wild Beast Token Druid. It's just what I needed to be able to tell myself that including Knight of the Wild is okay. And who hasn't dreamed of smashing their opponents face in with a pair of buffed up murderous squirrels?

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Back up to Rank 11 with Midrange Hunter. The deck is pretty flexible, as I have made a few misplays and still won.

I always go craft crazy at the beginning of rotation. Started with 20K and 151 packs and down to 2K. I have too many decks/legendaries I don't care about playing. For all the posters asking whether or not they should craft now--wait! WAIT! I say... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.