Hearthstone: Descent of Dragons |OT| Rise of Kibler

bardo

Jan 12, 2018
Tonight, I played Hearthstone on my nephew's account who I've been teaching the game very sporadically for about a year. He hasn't spent a cent on the game (I won't let him), doesn't have enough cards for any complete S/A/B tier decks, and doesn't have enough dust to craft all the cards to make them. He sits around Rank 23, which I think is his highest placement.

When we logged on he had several of the quests from the beginning of Descent that granted packs and we plowed through those, got some better cards, and altered his existing decks with whatever seemed "strong or cool." Then we took that janky crap to ladder and had an absolute blast. We ran into meta decks, of course, but for the most part people were playing with the strongest cards they had or their decks were missing key cards; some of the substitutions were really neat. But in all, it was fun to see off-meta cards being played and play them in our deck.

It was also interesting to see how far I have progressed in the game since I began; seeing him misplay cards out of order, or taking really wacky lines, and listening to his explanations and correcting him was an unbelievable effective experience to get out of my own head. Seeing opponents misplay and miss lethal, etc., too. Now I think I get it when someone Rank 5 sees me play, offers suggestions, and listens to my busted-ass reasoning for the incorrect line I took but totally think is correct. lol

It gave me such a new appreciation and enjoyment for the game--the skill involved in playing it, the learning curve, the dreaded RNG. I hadn't had fun with the game in weeks and was on the verge of quitting... now I have found new purpose. Sure, I'm still going to get tilted off the planet, but I think I've got a new attitude in how I view the tilt: I'm going to learn from it rather than let it destroy me emotionally.

Thanks to everyone who has read my bitching and negativity over the years; to everyone who has given me advice, even the snarkiest advice possible; to everyone who has spectated me or allowed me to spectate. Cheers!

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I'm still going to get tilted off the planet, but I think I've got a new attitude in how I view the tilt: I'm going to learn from it rather than let it destroy me emotionally.
Awesome post. Honestly I think getting better at dealing with Hearthstone RNG has helped me in real life. People ask me why I'm so calm and have a good attitude - I tell them it's just a lot of experience - what I don't tell them is I've played through the Yogg meta and survived.

Oct 25, 2017
Tonight, I played Hearthstone on my nephew's account who I've been teaching the game very sporadically for about a year. He hasn't spent a cent on the game (I won't let him), doesn't have enough cards for any complete S/A/B tier decks, and doesn't have enough dust to craft all the cards to make them. He sits around Rank 23, which I think is his highest placement.

When we logged on he had several of the quests from the beginning of Descent that granted packs and we plowed through those, got some better cards, and altered his existing decks with whatever seemed "strong or cool." Then we took that janky crap to ladder and had an absolute blast. We ran into meta decks, of course, but for the most part people were playing with the strongest cards they had or their decks were missing key cards; some of the substitutions were really neat. But in all, it was fun to see off-meta cards being played and play them in our deck.

It was also interesting to see how far I have progressed in the game since I began; seeing him misplay cards out of order, or taking really wacky lines, and listening to his explanations and correcting him was an unbelievable effective experience to get out of my own head. Seeing opponents misplay and miss lethal, etc., too. Now I think I get it when someone Rank 5 sees me play, offers suggestions, and listens to my busted-ass reasoning for the incorrect line I took but totally think is correct. lol

It gave me such a new appreciation and enjoyment for the game--the skill involved in playing it, the learning curve, the dreaded RNG. I hadn't had fun with the game in weeks and was on the verge of quitting... now I have found new purpose. Sure, I'm still going to get tilted off the planet, but I think I've got a new attitude in how I view the tilt: I'm going to learn from it rather than let it destroy me emotionally.

Thanks to everyone who has read my bitching and negativity over the years; to everyone who has given me advice, even the snarkiest advice possible; to everyone who has spectated me or allowed me to spectate. Cheers!
Good to hear.

Oct 25, 2017

I have hit top 200 legend, been legend many times, with many decks, often off meta decks, and I say all this because I still believe there is room for improvement and the difference between me and a pro is large still. I still have room to learn. I think there is always a next level to getting better at the game.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Three wins in a row with mechs. Cobalt Guardian is definitely gonna be the next one hit lol.
I don't think Cobalt will move. For one, it'll be underpowered at 4, and it'll leave mechs with Psychotron and Shredder at 3, and no power spike to commit to. It's easily countered by Juggler as well.

Curving from Harvest Golem to Cobalt (and then Rover/Egg) makes sense. Same with Rat to Pack Leader to Hydra and Imprisoned to Juggler to Watcher.

bardo

Jan 12, 2018
I appreciate the replies. Everyone here has been a great resource along the way, and I hope to annoy you with questions in the future. lol A long road ahead...

Does Blizz normally announce new sets around one month before release?

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
The pattern for the past few years have been a reveal about rotation early in March - which consists of confirming which sets are moving to wild and if there's any classic / basic cards moving to the Hall of Fame.

A week or two after that they reveal the first expansion of the year, usually with a release date in early April.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the replies. Everyone here has been a great resource along the way, and I hope to annoy you with questions in the future. lol A long road ahead...

almost always yeah.

also, back then when I was starting on this game I went with streamers to check how they played. often times I would check top players like zalae and see what their plays where and I played along a little fun game. "what do I do this turn if I were they?" if I the streamer thinks the same I thought and chose that line of play, then yeah, I'm going the good way, if not then what are they doing that I did not think about? because measuring your thoughts against a top player is a good way to know if you have the right mindset about a type of play. if you have they same thoughts all they time then you have your mind in the correct place to play the deck.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I just looked at the new expansion of the... uhh... well, expansion. Looks like there's plenty of strong cards in there, but I already spent all my gold on packs when the actual expansion released. 2800 is a lot of gold when you play really irregularly and I don't feel like spending any actual money on this. I did that the first 2 years of the game and swore then I wouldn't again. Besides I don't play much anymore and the recent debacles with blizzard don't help either. Is it worth saving up 2800 gold and spend it on this or would it better to save it for the next expansion at this point?

bardo

Jan 12, 2018
Is it worth saving up 2800 gold and spend it on this or would it better to save it for the next expansion at this point?
I'd wait. The new expansion comes out in a few months... or just get packs from Descent, Saviors, and/or Rise now, as the rest rotate out. Depends on how much ladder you want to play, honestly, which it doesn't seem like you want to do.

Wiibomb Yeah, I've been watching mostly Kibler and BoarControl as I tune in the early afternoon, but I'd love to find someone who always discusses the plays they make and why.

MetalMagus Appreciate the info.