• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
www.polygon.com

Hearthstone’s first new class since launch is a game-changer

The next expansion, Ashes of Outlands, is a big one

Oh my god, Polygon fucked up and published a day early. Huge Priest changes, and Demon Hunter as an entirely new class to Hearthstone. "Ashes of Outland" coming April 7th, Demon Hunter class journey starting April 2nd.

"[Demon Hunters] don't have much in the way of card generation, but you can run them out of resources," says Chadd Nervig, game designer on Hearthstone. "They have card draw, but not generation, so you can fatigue them. They're susceptible to hard removal. They also just don't have much in the way of hard removal themselves; if they want to clear a big minion of yours, they have to use their face to do it. They don't have any assassinate or polymorph cards."

Oh, I wonder how long that'll hold true---

Much like the Warlock, they use demons in their arsenal — but the Demon Hunter tends to use big, beefy allies rather than a swarm of smaller minions.

Blizzard expects one of the immediate Demon Hunter strategies will be to try and swarm the board with early overwhelming force

Demon Hunter Class Identity
2020-2020

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so because of this I'll media blackout a bit, I want to see as many things as I can from the stream itself instead of a polygon article

Oct 25, 2017

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
The swings in BG are huge. You can be humming along at 40HP, level on curve, then brick and get smashed out in 2 turns. Or you can get the worst luck and fall under 10HP before hitting that one minion you need to vault you into top 2. That said, I think the meta is in a good place with so much flexibility. I haven't seen divine shield poisonous murlocs or giant Weaver/Watcher combos in a long time.

Divine shield mechs are still strong, beasts can overcome their weak mid-game since everyone levels so fast (I barely see double or even triple Pack Leader anymore), Baron is a bit weaker due to the occasional Whelp snipe but still useful, menagerie is stronger with dragons, and of course giant dragons are risky but game-winning. For example, in one game I was under 20HP and in danger of finishing 8th when I tripled my Whelp on T5 and discovered Kalecgos. Then the next turn I found Razorgore and I went on a tear before losing to Pogos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
My day is so long tomorrow, I don't mind getting leaked. I'll save my comments for tomorrow though.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
As tempted as I am to look into all the leaks, I was planning on watching the stream as something to do tomorrow so I'll hold off actually looking.

I think this should maybe be a slight warning to Blizzard though. Don't tease things stupidly far in advance and let influencers tell people about how good what they saw was, especially if it was a month away.

It can easily be leaked ahead of time. Even unintentionally by official outlets. It's current year etc.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I missed it. It's been taken down. What were the Priest changes?

New classic cards, and several existing classic cards getting tweaked. Supposed to be more control focused. From memory:
SW:Death is going to 2 mana
PW:S going to 0 but losing the card draw
Shadow Madness down to 3
Holy Nova down to 4 but no longer doing face damage
Thoughtsteal down to 2
Temple Enforcer down to 5 but it becomes a 5/6
There's a new minion that has Shrinkmeister's effect
A 4 or 5 mana spell that destroys all minions with 5 or more attack
A legendary that destroys a minion and takes it's health
There's more but that's what I remember

Oct 25, 2017
New classic cards, and several existing classic cards getting tweaked. Supposed to be more control focused. From memory:
SW:Death is going to 2 mana
PW:S going to 0 but losing the card draw
Shadow Madness down to 3
Holy Nova down to 4 but no longer doing face damage
Thoughtsteal down to 2
Temple Enforcer down to 5 but it becomes a 5/6
There's a new minion that has Shrinkmeister's effect
A 4 or 5 mana spell that destroys all minions with 5 or more attack
A legendary that destroys a minion and takes it's health
There's more but that's what I remember
Hmmm some of that sounds like shit, but other bits sound alright. I was hoping that they were gonna add some old expansion cards to the classic set, unless that's what they mean. Shadow visions becoming part of the classic set would be fun.....maybe. What am I saying, I fucking hate priest.

kevyward

Oct 27, 2017
Decided to do a legend push before all the changes next month, it also helped that I went on a mad win streak with embiggen Druid from mid rank 4 to rank 2. Final push this morning from rank 1 to legend 0 loses.

Lots of rogues and dragon hunters. Dragon hunter matches were closer, but had some clutch quest pulls for lethal.

Last time I hit legend was with Secret Mage, which was quite awhile ago!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Incoming salt or gratitude -- time for Hall of Fame announcements.

YES -- fuck off Leeroy, indeed.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, tons of Hall of Fame cards for Priest. wtf.

Is balance even a thing in Wild? What a dumping ground. I think it's exciting that anything goes in there, but it's also probably a huge mess.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Divine shield had to go. Cleric is a strange choice, though. It's not even being played right now because it is anti-resurrect synergy.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
With all the good classic cards eventually getting HoF'd they should have just done a yearly "core set" and been done with it lol

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got legend once. Will I receive the Legendary Card or I have to hit it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.