• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantaloup

Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestions for improving this zoo deck that uses Recurring Villain?

### Zoo Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Dragon
#
# 2x (1) Flame Imp
# 2x (1) Grim Rally
# 2x (1) Soul Infusion
# 2x (1) Voidwalker
# 2x (2) Dire Wolf Alpha
# 2x (2) EVIL Genius
# 2x (2) Knife Juggler
# 2x (2) Lost Spirit
# 2x (3) Doubling Imp
# 2x (4) Defender of Argus
# 2x (4) Fiendish Circle
# 1x (5) Harrison Jones
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 2x (5) Recurring Villain
# 1x (7) Arch-Villain Rafaam
# 1x (8) Demonbolt
# 2x (10) Sea Giant
#
AAECAf0GBK8EkAevjgOXlwMNMNMB+wXZB7EIwgiQ7gLm7gL09wLT+ALchgOInQPPnQMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for improving this zoo deck that uses Recurring Villain?

### Zoo Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Dragon
#
# 2x (1) Flame Imp
# 2x (1) Grim Rally
# 2x (1) Soul Infusion
# 2x (1) Voidwalker
# 2x (2) Dire Wolf Alpha
# 2x (2) EVIL Genius
# 2x (2) Knife Juggler
# 2x (2) Lost Spirit
# 2x (3) Doubling Imp
# 2x (4) Defender of Argus
# 2x (4) Fiendish Circle
# 1x (5) Harrison Jones
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 2x (5) Recurring Villain
# 1x (7) Arch-Villain Rafaam
# 1x (8) Demonbolt
# 2x (10) Sea Giant
#
AAECAf0GBK8EkAevjgOXlwMNMNMB+wXZB7EIwgiQ7gLm7gL09wLT+ALchgOInQPPnQMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Fiendish circle is a bad card. Switch it out for scarab egg.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just faced my first bomb warrior. That was not fun in the slightest. Seemed so powerful gaining tons of armour and shuffling in bomb after bomb. I took him to fatigue but was never going to win the game. Boring and annoying.

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Meta seems to be settling down. Didn't run into one Token Druid and ran into only 2 or so bomb warriors. A lot of Tempo Rogues, Mech Hunters, and Mech/Secret Paladins.

I'm running a Priest deck I saw Toast playing earlier. Pretty fun.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I can play and win with Token Druid but it's so mindless. Flark hunter for life. (But maybe token druid until I hit rank 10...)

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to rank 5 with bomb warrior. The only deck that takes me to town is heal Druid and lucky control warriors that never draw any bombs. It's a fun gimmick but I really feel like the remaining hero cards are sucking any variety out of the game. Other control decks just can't compete with the value. I don't think printing more hero cards is a solution either. Just delete them and accept that they are flawed by design.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I like Hagatha too. Honestly just think they should nerf Dr. Boom so that some of his powers are worse, and maybe they cycle through in order too. Discover a Mech should just be add a random Mech to hand, maybe reduce armor amount too but I think Discover is the most problematic one.

I'm running a Priest deck I saw Toast playing earlier. Pretty fun.
I was watching him play that Nomi Priest and it legit looked really fun. I might have to give it a shot since I think I have all the cards.

Last edited:

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
I like Hagatha too. Honestly just think they should nerf Dr. Boom so that some of his powers are worse, and maybe they cycle through in order too. Discover a Mech should just be add a random Mech to hand, maybe reduce armor amount too but I think Discover is the most problematic one.

I was watching him play that Nomi Priest and it legit looked really fun. I might have to give it a shot since I think I have all the cards.

Yeah it's really fun to play. I was hoping to run into more aggro but the meta seems to be shifting. I added an Elysiana just in case they are able to deal with the Nomi and to deal with any pesky bombs.

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to rank 5 with bomb warrior. The only deck that takes me to town is heal Druid and lucky control warriors that never draw any bombs. It's a fun gimmick but I really feel like the remaining hero cards are sucking any variety out of the game. Other control decks just can't compete with the value. I don't think printing more hero cards is a solution either. Just delete them and accept that they are flawed by design.
I've been playing Heal/Lucenbark Druid a lot and while it is usually an auto win against warriors, some of them have started to wise up and they pretty much just stop playing cards once they realize what deck I'm playing. If I can't heal, I'm kinda fucked lol. Not saying it'll guarantee to win you matchups, but it can help.
It's also why I started playing one copy of Damaged Stegotron in the deck to give me something to heal.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind it quite as much since it's neutral. Dead man's hand wasn't better in my mind. The only thing better about it was you could screw up and have a handful of useless brawls so it took slightly more thought.
I feel it being neutral makes it worse, because it's more ubiquitous and makes control mirror matchups even more repetitive/monotonous.

DMH taking at least some skill and deck adjusting made it fine in my eyes. Still frustrating to lose against sometimes, but at least it was limited to one archetype of one class instead of nearly every control deck.

Plus, DMH is not overly random either, so you know when you're beat and can move on. With Elysiana, the 10 cards you get are pretty random, so you may as well try to play out the game -- even if it's boring, and random chance will more than likely decide the winner.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I made an insanely greedy Lucentbark deck, and first match I made it work against a bomb warrior. It was glorious

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bomb warrior and token druid are orbit making me want to drop the game again, it's just ridiculous. Don't they test this stuff at all? I just took 15 face damage at the start of a turn from 3 bombs, yeah gg Blizzard that's a fun mechanic. Then I queued into a token and got overrun by ridiculous board presence and buff spells.

Mtg arena on android when? Hopefully Eternal will be on switch soon too and I'll just go back to that.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bomb warrior and token druid are orbit making me want to drop the game again, it's just ridiculous. Don't they test this stuff at all? I just took 15 face damage at the start of a turn from 3 bombs, yeah gg Blizzard that's a fun mechanic. Then I queued into a token and got overrun by ridiculous board presence and buff spells.

Mtg arena on android when? Hopefully Eternal will be on switch soon too and I'll just go back to that.

Have you played ranked in MTG Arena? Plenty of decks that run you over like token Druid.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
All card game are going to have bullshit openers, OTKs, OP cards, especially after the start of a new card release.

Blizzard has been making balance changes earlier and more frequently the last 6 months, so there is a chance they will make a change by the start of next month.

It's also possible they think the meta is perfectly fine, but we won't know until they make an announcement.

I haven't played enough yet to give a great opinion on this, but there a certainly a few issues:

Elysiana causing hours long tournament matches, Hero cards being extremely powerful, Bomb Warrior being uninteractive. Rogue, token druid and warrior are the clear winners.

As for druid: Hsreplay.net is showing token druid as the clear tier 1 deck. I'm not even sure what blizzard can change considering these are the top cards being played in the meta:

kY4tFe6.png

Acorn bearer, Dreamway Guardians and whispering woods are far and away the strongest cards in the deck. See the winrates here: https://hsreplay.net/decks/nMO4cjoONeRGT8LKKSWkA/

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I don't know what you change about the game currently. Something doesn't feel great though, maybe this expansion/rotation just didn't have the impact I was expecting. My least favorite card would probably be Elysiana since it means I just can't play Control unless I'm ready for half my games to be 30+ min. I'm pretty much back to just clearing out quests but not playing too much aside from that. That could change quickly though since I just haven't found the deck that I love to play yet (probably will end up being Zoo, that's been the right balance of game length and exciting turns).

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you change about the game currently. Something doesn't feel great though, maybe this expansion/rotation just didn't have the impact I was expecting. My least favorite card would probably be Elysiana since it means I just can't play Control unless I'm ready for half my games to be 30+ min. I'm pretty much back to just clearing out quests but not playing too much aside from that. That could change quickly though since I just haven't found the deck that I love to play yet (probably will end up being Zoo, that's been the right balance of game length and exciting turns).

For much the same reason I stopped playing control style decks after Jade were introduced. DK's and other infinite value generators sealed the deal. Control matches became 15 - 20 minute slogs and they are surprisingly common. Usually I'd save playing slow decks for when I wasn't trying to make progress.

Oct 25, 2017
I just played against the most anti token druid deck I've played against so far. It was just board clear after board clear after board clear. Not a good deck in the slightest, but I think they were just playing gatekeeper at rank 5 and trying not to let any token druids through. It actually worked, but I can't imagine them winning games against any other deck. Ironically, I had just switched from playing fun rank 5 decks to wanting to see how high I could climb with token druid and immediately took an L.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I just played against the most anti token druid deck I've played against so far. It was just board clear after board clear after board clear. Not a good deck in the slightest, but I think they were just playing gatekeeper at rank 5 and trying not to let any token druids through. It actually worked, but I can't imagine them winning games against any other deck. Ironically, I had just switched from playing fun rank 5 decks to wanting to see how high I could climb with token druid and immediately took an L.

1st rule of Hearthstone deck switching - If you choose a new deck, regardless of the reason, you will be immediately queued into a counter deck.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
For much the same reason I stopped playing control style decks after Jade were introduced. DK's and other infinite value generators sealed the deal. Control matches became 15 - 20 minute slogs and they are surprisingly common. Usually I'd save playing slow decks for when I wasn't trying to make progress.
I thought it was annoying when Warrior would run Carnivorous Cube and Faceless Manipulator to get tons of Direhorns but this is much worse. At least with Dead Man's Hand and Jade you know it's infinite but with Archivist you're stuck playing it out to see who got the better deck... then wait to do it all over again because you've got Shudderwock and they Baleful Banker'd their Archivist. I guess it's as good as infinite in a lot of cases so you should just concede if you don't wanna wait it out. Haven't made it to turn timer yet in a game at least.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I want to highlight a reddit post that gives out some budget deckslists for newer players:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/bdvpc6/rise_of_shadows_budget_decks_guides_for_all_9/

Budget Decks Rankings
When it comes to Year of the Dragon budget lists, we've got quite a few good options. If I had to rank the budget decks, I'd say that they would look like that:
Tier 1
Tier 2
Tier 3

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm losing my mind. I can get to Rank 10 4/5 stars than get crushed back to the bottom of the rank. It's infuriating.

Anyways, choose Bloodyface for my champion for HCT. You?

manhack That list is spot on. There are some really good decks for cheap. Except for Silence Priest. That deck FUCKING sucks.

Last edited:

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
As meta slave I'm glad tempo rogue is my kinda deck.. the meta is kinda limited but I enjoy the swing turn of Rogue.

Maybe its time for prep to bite the dust. Finally.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm thinking of burning all my cards and just concentrating on one class. I'm sick of chasing the meta and just failing.

This game has turned me into a depressed gamer over the last few days... I'm spent. Rank 10 has truly defeated me.

Totenkinder

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of burning all my cards and just concentrating on one class. I'm sick of chasing meta and just failing.

This game has turned me into a depressed gamer over the last few days... I'm spent.
As someone who's played for a while it just takes time to build up your collection if you're playing f2p but I would definitely recommend NOT doing that unless you have a clear class that you LOVE playing beyond all others because with the rotations you never know what you might want to play in the future. I would honestly recommend dusting stuff in your wild collection before messing with any of your standard cards.

If you're still desperate for dust maybe start with a class you dislike first and see what you end up with. I probably could have dusted all my Priest cards a long time ago as I strongly dislike the class but I haven't because I like the collection aspect of the game. And try not to worry what rank you are and just focus on having fun and trying to analyze your options each turn to make the optimal play. There are plenty of streamers who have hit legend with budget decks before. Having all the cards helps but you have to just try and not get too salty over losses this game has a ton of RNG built in to it so you're invariably going to have some bad streaks here and there.

And I say this as someone who used to have major ladder anxiety. Now if I lose three in a row I just switch to casual or play something else because I know how easily I get tilted even though I'm always trying to get better at not letting the losses get to me so much :p

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Totenkinder Right now I can craft most of the meta decks outside of Pally and Druid. "Ladder anxiety" is a great term, as it has taken me so much time to reach 10, but now I'm basically hard ceiling... it's just not fun to get to the final star and get busted back, again and again, to the floor. I get hard countered, change up, and get hard countered again.

At this point, I don't want to spend anymore money on this fucking game. It's not fun to play for hours a day and make, literally, no progress. Focusing on one class means I would never have to buy a pack, preorder, etc. again. This well/whale has run dry.

Sorry for the negativity, but I've fucking had it.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Totenkinder Right now I can craft most of the meta decks outside of Pally and Druid. "Ladder anxiety" is a great term, as it has taken me so much time to reach 10, but now I'm basically hard ceiling... it's just not fun to get to the final star and get busted back, again and again, to the floor. I get hard countered, change up, and get hard countered again.

At this point, I don't want to spend anymore money on this fucking game. It's not fun to play for hours a day and make, literally, no progress. Focusing on one class means I would never have to buy a pack, preorder, etc. again. This well/whale has run dry.

Don't dust any cards, but definitely focus on 1 deck while you are starting. If you are playing any of the top tier decks you can get focus on gaining ranks.

This is a game of luck, skill, and confidence. You need a bit of all to climb.

p.m. me your gamertag and I'll be happy to spectate your games and give you feedback on your plays if you are up for it.

Oct 25, 2017

It's alright man, it happens to everyone. I remember when I first started playing, rank 11 was the highest I got for close to a year. And this was when ladder was really brutal and there were no rank floors and everyone would get reset to low rank every month, so even legend players and scrubs would be playing against each other. It was very frustrating initially, but I just had a change in mindset and continued to grind it out and most importantly, learn from my mistakes. You have to try to figure out what you may be doing wrong. You can definitely just be having a shitty day of luck and you might lose regardless if you made the correct play or not, but it's important to try to not get tilted and analyze what might have went wrong in the match. Did you mulligan poorly? Did you go face when you should've traded? Did you trade when you should've gone face? Did you overcommit and fall right into an easy board clear?

Take a short break and come back. Talk to others about your matches and post them if possible. You can for sure make progress, but don't expect it to happen overnight. And meta decks definitely aren't the answer to making progress. You can play top decks, but if you don't know how to actually pilot it properly, it won't matter. And on the opposite is true too. You can take some goofy ass decks to high ranks as long as you know what you're doing.

For sure don't dust anything unless you know 100% you really really don't want to play it. I hated playing Hunter for the longest time until the last year or so, but once I found a deck I liked, I was glad I had the cards for it

Won

Oct 27, 2017

Just dust your entire collection, uninstall Hearthstone and put this thread on ignore.

It's the only way you will find happiness with this product.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, the dusting was an extreme response. I've only been playing a year, so I think I'm overestimating my current skill. Rank 10 is a good accomplishment, too.

At least I see most of my misplays now... and thanks everyone for the replies.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop caring about rank and just concede matchups you don't feel like playing at the time.

Getting better is overrated.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the dusting was an extreme response. I've only been playing a year, so I think I'm overestimating my current skill. Rank 10 is a good accomplishment, too.

Rank 10 is a great accomplishment. These numbers are old as sin, but most people don't get past 20-15 range.

ANT6SOZ1AZCQ1411061634681.png

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing on and off since before whispers off the old gods (took 18 months off though after knights and just started again) and I've only ever got to 14 once. I barely ever hit 15 and usually end the season at 17 or maybe 16.

Rank 10 is a dream to me.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about playing against control warrior so I just concede even though I usually win when I play them. It just takes too long and I'm really upset that this shit is back.

That's why I am a proponent of HoFing brawl because this type of warrior being a recurring thing forever is just boring.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017

Hell yeah it's an accomplishment, I think 9 is the highest rank I've hit in the first year I've played (and I'm a new parent so I have limited time to play) I get the same burnout when I get a string of losses. I almost pitched my mouse across the room on the fourth Token Druid I faced in a row with Mech Hunter (31% winrate, there). It's taken a year to realize I need to know how to pilot a counter deck to local metas.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about playing against control warrior so I just concede even though I usually win when I play them. It just takes too long and I'm really upset that this shit is back.

That's why I am a proponent of HoFing brawl because this type of warrior being a recurring thing forever is just boring.
The deck doesn't exist on the back of brawl though.

Oct 25, 2017
Stop caring about rank and just concede matchups you don't feel like playing at the time.

Getting better is overrated.
Lol

Well I can certainly agree with the first part. I'm glad there haven't been any decks that I want to insta concede against though. Control warrior is really goddamn close, but I enjoy beating them, so I put up with the at least 20 min match. I'm glad that at least some of them have started to concede once I drop Lucenbark. I'm just waiting for double Owl tech. I still don't think that would be enough though.

Status
Not open for further replies.