• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, they actually did it...

c56a5fa8.png
The ultimate hate card. Really doubt the game needed this, but oh well.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Wild maybe forced their hands with the earthen scales combos and Thekal + molten giant. Nether were tier 1 but both are very unfun.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Lol, that card has already defined the meta and the expansion hasn't even hit yet, bye control warrior for over a year in standard and forever in wild

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need some time to decide whether that card will really matter. It is a killer tech card, but will people even use it in Standard? Very few true CW decks in the meta anymore.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Tech cards rarely define the meta, but this one is certainly something different based on the potential face damage.
The thing with a card like this is that it targets very little, at least for a wortwhile inclusion: Control Warrior, Thekal Paladin and Quadrililon Armor Druid (Wild only, I guess). When the former 2 don't see play, this won't see play. If the former two do see play, this will start to see play and the former two will disappear in a cycle that has the potential to continue for a while.

I would even dare to say that Control Warrior doesn't need a million health and has no issues building up to 10-15 armor multiple times, making this not that scary. With a 5 mana cost, you'll also most likely be outside of any OTK potential as CW.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with a card like this is that it targets very little, at least for a wortwhile inclusion: Control Warrior, Thekal Paladin and Quadrililon Armor Druid (Wild only, I guess). When the former 2 don't see play, this won't see play. If the former two do see play, this will start to see play and the former two will disappear in a cycle that has the potential to continue for a while.

I would even dare to say that Control Warrior doesn't need a million health and has no issues building up to 10-15 armor multiple times, making this not that scary. With a 5 mana cost, you'll also most likely be outside of any OTK potential as CW.

I do not think this pushes strong decks out of the meta, just gives another way to counter decks that stack excessive armor than damage alone.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
That's true. Like, maybe you don't have to play Shield Block every single time you have 3 mana to spare if you're afraid of this card.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Finding more and more of the super buffed amalgam with poison as I climb the ranks in BGs and it really is frustrating to have a cool comp shot down because you can't deal with the 70+ health minion unless you have exactly poison. Lightfang really needs to move to tier six.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I see it's actually all over the news sites. Along with a lot of other news. Wow. That new druid hero looks awesome.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Finding more and more of the super buffed amalgam with poison as I climb the ranks in BGs and it really is frustrating to have a cool comp shot down because you can't deal with the 70+ health minion unless you have exactly poison. Lightfang really needs to move to tier six.
Lightfang is getting altered in this week's BG patch. It will only give a +2/+1 buff. I don't think that's enough of a nerf.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So, Winter Veil is coming back, giving again the card back, but there's gonna be new 30 (6 packs per expansion, no Descent of Dragon packs) pack bundle with new Druid hero and card back. Also, on Thursday there should be more info how to get Tyrande hero for Priest again.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Lightfang is getting altered in this week's BG patch. It will only give a +2/+1 buff. I don't think that's enough of a nerf.
Ah okay. Hadn't seen the news about this patch yet. And yeah it's not. It's real strength comes from people getting it super early and then it goes out of control. Glad to see they are at least acting quickly, unlike constructed.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they actually did it...

c56a5fa8.png
There are few cards I dislike from sets, I mean that I think are bad for the game. This is one of them, it invalidates a whole class and a mechanic that was core to the game after having the life cap.

I really dislike this, even if it sees no use at all, I think this is bad design. A better design should damage some number of armor damage, not all damage.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
There are few cards I dislike from sets, I mean that I think are bad for the game. This is one of them, it invalidates a whole class and a mechanic that was core to the game after having the life cap.

I really dislike this, even if it sees no use at all, I think this is bad design. A better design should damage some number of armor damage, not all damage.
I agree. It's just lazy design, even if it doesn't see much play. At least Geist was in interesting card that wasn't only useful to eliminate jade golems.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I freaking love that new Druid hero. No way I can resist.

Also this card seems pretty good no?

190954fa.png

Eh. It's not great. In general, in Hearthstone, tempo is way more important than stats. This is a card that necessarily costs you tempo over the entire course of the game for the sake of stats that aren't guaranteed (or even likely) to actually be material for trades or damage. The possible value it represents (midrange, establishing and maintaining board control) is undermined by the ways in which it's expensive (huge ongoing tempo loss, a card that does nothing when it's played).

There have been times in HS's meta where this card would work okay, and it might make its way into some decks, but it looks pretty bad on the surface. A 7/12 Ancient of War is rarely actually better than a 5/10 Ancient of War, but a turn 7 Ancient of War is very, very regularly significantly better than a turn 8 Ancient of War. That said, I've been surprised before, I'll be surprised again.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Eh. It's not great. In general, in Hearthstone, tempo is way more important than stats. This is a card that necessarily costs you tempo over the entire course of the game for the sake of stats that aren't guaranteed (or even likely) to actually be material for trades or damage. The possible value it represents (midrange, establishing and maintaining board control) is undermined by the ways in which it's expensive (huge ongoing tempo loss, a card that does nothing when it's played).

There have been times in HS's meta where this card would work okay, and it might make its way into some decks, but it looks pretty bad on the surface. A 7/12 Ancient of War is rarely actually better than a 5/10 Ancient of War, but a turn 7 Ancient of War is very, very regularly significantly better than a turn 8 Ancient of War. That said, I've been surprised before, I'll be surprised again.

The only way Embiggen loses you tempo over the course of the game is if the mana cost increase fucks up your curve. If you curve out, you're playing 1-Mana 4/3s instead of 1-Mana 2/1s, a 5/4 on Turn 2 instead of a 3/2, a 5/6 on Turn 3 instead of a 3/4, a 6/7 on Turn 4, a 7/8 on Turn 5, a 8/9 on Turn 6 and so forth.

Embiggen's downsides are the card disadvantage, it not being a realistic early turn play and also needing time to pile on pressure at a point in the game when mid-range decks are looking for finishers while control decks have better long-term value options. But tempo-wise it's a net positive as soon as the first minion buffed by it hits the board just because 2/2 stats is above the expected return for 1 mana in Hearthstone.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
The only way Embiggen loses you tempo over the course of the game is if the mana cost increase fucks up your curve. If you curve out, you're playing 1-Mana 4/3s instead of 1-Mana 2/1s, a 5/4 on Turn 2 instead of a 3/2, a 5/6 on Turn 3 instead of a 3/4, a 6/7 on Turn 4, a 7/8 on Turn 5, a 8/9 on Turn 6 and so forth.
No, you're playing 2-mana 4/3s instead of 1-mana 2/1s, a 5/4 on turn 3 instead of a 3/2 on turn 2, a 5/6 on turn 4 instead of a 3/4 on turn 3, etc. You don't take the increased mana cost into account for any of these numbers.

Embiggen's downsides are the card disadvantage, it not being a realistic early turn play and also needing time to pile on pressure at a point in the game when mid-range decks are looking for finishers while control decks have better long-term value options. But tempo-wise it's a net positive as soon as the first minion buffed by it hits the board just because 2/2 stats is above the expected return for 1 mana in Hearthstone.
That is not tempo. That is value.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
73352243_552867201937801_8967890202219511808_n.png

yea lightfang and amalgam need nerfs. Things got out of hand when i got divine shield and position my cards better.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
No, you're playing 2-mana 4/3s instead of 1-mana 2/1s, a 5/4 on turn 3 instead of a 3/2 on turn 2, a 5/6 on turn 4 instead of a 3/4 on turn 3, etc. You don't take the increased mana cost into account for any of these numbers.

Smugglers Run gave you 2 mana 4/3 too. It was a good card but not that good, especially without synergy. There's a few major differences, mostly in smugglers run being more immediate but 1 mana vs embiggen's game long benefits and 0 mana but first having to draw some cards, but overall I bet it's about the same.

Last edited:

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Embiggen does not prevent you from playing cards on curve. Your 4-mana card becomes a turn 5 play but your 3-mana card becomes a turn 4 play to fill the spot. If you have a 1-, 2- and 3-mana drop in hand at the start of the game, playing Embiggen does not lock you out of using those on the first three turns either.

Putting more stats on board per mana spend than your opponent is a way to gain tempo. That's what decks that try to win by outtempoing opponents do. Embiggen costs 0 mana, so it's not a tempo loss. It does however cost a card, which is a loss in value that would need to be recovered by faborable trades making use of the +2/+2 of added stats per minion.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So Goru the Mighttree can stack the treeants buff if you play multiple Goru's, right?

Combine it with Floop and Elise, and The Forest's Aid will be dropping 5 5/5s on the board.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So Goru the Mighttree can stack the treeants buff if you play multiple Goru's, right?

Combine it with Floop and Elise, and The Forest's Aid will be dropping 5 5/5s on the board.
Well becauss of the wording yeah, you can stack them. But still, so late i the game I'm not sure it's even worth to stack them.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting easy wins at 5.4K on my smurf, but I'm hardstuck at 4.7K on my main lol. Keep getting the most unfavorable hits ever.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well with all these powerful Dragon's About, there is at least a Dragon Tech cards to counter them.

675trbnp0l241.jpg

Don't think those Explorer Dragons are entirely safe auto-includes with this around.

Can be combo'd with Leeroy as well humorously enough.

MFCk8uQduefxWhQyZuoMayVLiJRibgrpYXHv0H61VFc.jpg

Another Spider Tank, this time with hero power tech.

And now for a new "This is going to be the most annoying card of the expansion" Card.

__ZRqumB80OL2AnD-17AwFX7f26-jb4cJoXTsL8qauM.png

What the heck, this card is crazy, transform a friendly minion into a 5/4 with Rush and play a 5/4 with Rush as well for 5 mana. What? Totems, Silver Hand Recruits and Lackeys alone make this thing terrifying.

I dare not think of this Shudderwock. With this and Barista Lynchen Infinite Shudderwocks are back on the menu, albeit battlecry order dependant.

Edit: Some more cards -

9tlkjhi0hl241.jpg

Don't like this one, it needs Spell Power to do well, but odds are you will just hit your own Spell Power minion in the process.

ft1CwLv.jpg

Lemme take your turn and do one better.

Last edited:

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I can pick Dancing Darryl anymore if I'm playing on mobile. I managed to make a huge Murloc Warleader, that I was then unable to buy or even freeze because of the absurdly slow animations and awful mobile UI interactions.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I don't think I can pick Dancing Darryl anymore if I'm playing on mobile. I managed to make a huge Murloc Warleader, that I was then unable to buy or even freeze because of the absurdly slow animations and awful mobile UI interactions.

I play on an iPhone XR and it's pretty much fine all the time for me, sucks to hear so many people are having issues on mobile.

Also, lol @ those new cards above. That +4/+4 one if your opponent has a dragon is stupid.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't take him on mobile for that reason. I still take Brann, of course, but I've had some terrible misplays based on the animations and mobile UI causing me to mess up the cycling of buffs. My phone is fine, but you have to make so many extra taps to get in and out of your hand. It's frustrating.

Oct 25, 2017
I won a BG with the divine shield guy, was buried in last place until I got my board divine shielded, then I didn't lose lol

Divine shielded, poisoned murlocs/amalgam gg

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be really negative on these new, powerful cards, but I'm open to the idea that we need lots of powerful midrange minions to shake the game up.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is in such shit shape for me that i can't imagine getting angry over a set that might be overpowered. At least it will have an impact. The worst thing at this point would be another Rumble.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I thought echo was a Witchwood keyword

EDIT: Lol, they didn't fix it after the break

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.