• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Most of these decks are viable on ladder. Tourney is not an entirely different meta. At most, you would have to change tech cards and just not copy every single card in the list
Thanks.

Also, going back several pages to my question about counting: as in, "Player X just needs to count to five"... I heard Sottle say it as well in the context of damage. Invoke and damage, though the latter seems more on point.

Oct 25, 2017
100 wins until my first 1000 win portrait. Warlock. Only still have 3 golden heroes.
I have all golden heroes but still need 300 with Mage to hit my first 1000 win. And since I'm only playing maybe 3 constructed matches a day at the moment, it's gonna be a while lol.
Still looking for that deck that I'm gonna enjoy....
How's wild right now? Maybe I should try that a bit.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have all golden heroes but still need 300 with Mage to hit my first 1000 win. And since I'm only playing maybe 3 constructed matches a day at the moment, it's gonna be a while lol.
Still looking for that deck that I'm gonna enjoy....
How's wild right now? Maybe I should try that a bit.
It's ok. Quest Reno mage is the new hotness though there's still a ton of secret mage. Darkness hour got popular again and is very annoying when they highroll. Big priest got a lot more manageable after the nerf. Mech paladin can be hard to handle. Never Surrender is just as troublesome to deal with in odd paladin as ever.

Your opponents might not sometimes have a lot of diversity but there's a crazy amount of decks that can do alright.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
The new hunter dragon is awesome. Built a deck based around dragons/battlecry cards it went really well. Haven't lost to big Druid yet.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
Hello friends, I've been looking to start playing a ccg on my iPad for commute purposes and since MTG doesn't have an IOS client, I'll have to look elsewhere. I've heard hearthstone is fairly unfriendly to new players unless you feel like dumping a bunch of money into it, do you find that to be the case? Is Eternal or Gwent or another one the better choice to begin playing in the year of our lord 2020, or is stone still the Mack daddy?

thanks for the input!

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Hello friends, I've been looking to start playing a ccg on my iPad for commute purposes and since MTG doesn't have an IOS client, I'll have to look elsewhere. I've heard hearthstone is fairly unfriendly to new players unless you feel like dumping a bunch of money into it, do you find that to be the case? Is Eternal or Gwent or another one the better choice to begin playing in the year of our lord 2020, or is stone still the Mack daddy?

thanks for the input!
I don't think it's unfriendly to start. There are plenty of freebies to get when starting out and systems to help you out. For instance, you start ranked at rank 50 where the only opponents you'll face are other similar type of players who are just starting out. You won't start facing the 'meta decks' until ~rank 25. Alot of competitive decks can also be quite cheap and are very competitive (aggressive decks a.k.a. Aggro). It's definitely true that it will be harder (read: will take you longer) to get a bigger variety of decks or the more expensive decks without paying. It's perfectly playable without doing so and just grinding out gold daily.

You basically can just give it a try and see how you like it, it's definitely not as bad as you heard and Blizzard has made some steps in improving the new player experience.

EDIT: There also this Reddit User who frequently posts 'Budget decks' that are suboptimal, but still competitive. The decks use no Epic or Legendary cards, so they are much easier and cheaper to get.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

thanks for the input!
Yeah it's the case. It's not impossible to build one deck that's moderately priced as a new player but it usually requires getting rid of all your other class cards to do it which really hurts your long term collection potential.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

thanks for the input!
The new player experience in Hearthstone is pretty good right now. You end up playing for a long time against strictly other new players, and you get a lot of free cards. There is also a decent amount of single player content to enjoy in the game (though it still requires being logged in online).

It's a CCG, so yeah, if you want a big collection fast you have to buy it, but the game is pretty generous about giving you gold to buy packs.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new player experience in Hearthstone is pretty good right now. You end up playing for a long time against strictly other new players, and you get a lot of free cards. There is also a decent amount of single player content to enjoy in the game (though it still requires being logged in online).

It's a CCG, so yeah, if you want a big collection fast you have to buy it, but the game is pretty generous about giving you gold to buy packs.
Have you actually tried it? 26-50 is full of sorta budget-ish meta decks. Lots and lots of zoo galakrond. You play a LOT of smurfs.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zoo Galakrond can be made very cheap if you decide to skip some meta cards, I don't see the problem.
The problem is a new person has no shot against a Smurf playing face Hunter or zoo galakrond. Like no shot.

Even as another Smurf (with a slightly less viable deck but still far better than a new player would have and played better) it was frustrating.

That being said, Galakrond IS very good for new players. I imagine you could make a pretty good zoo AND rogue galakrond deck pretty quick if you are liberal with dusting other stuff.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
There is a difference between people new to CCG's and new to Hearthstone.

A clueless player will struggle here and there, but you will be OK if you put enough time in. If you are familiar with CCG's it is a breeze to get into the game as long as you focus on 1 or 2 decks. Paying for cards opens your deck choices up, but by no means is it required.

Arena offers another alternative for completing quests and building up your library over time.

I'd argue that if I logged you into my free to play accounts you would accuse them of being paid accounts with how many decks and cards I have available from only doing daily quests on an irregular basis.

Oct 25, 2017
Just keep doing dailies and build your collection, it'll take time but you'll build up dust over time to get the cards you really want

I've never paid for packs and my collection is pretty solid for when I actually want to play a lot and get to a decent rank

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Earth Shock Shaman into Pogo Rogo in the brawl. Got lucky enough to draw more earth shocks than he did pogos although honestly you can probably start 1 up because you don't need to shock the first pogo.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They have just been terrible about brawls lately. Leaving Pogo in is mindless.

That said, I'm 4-0 against Pogo with frost Nova. You stick a minion and win. Slowly.

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
I won Tavern Brawls playing Earth Shock, Flik, Frost Nova and Juggler. Lots of options if you luck out with match ups.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Would you ever get to turn 5-6 with flik?

Like 9-0 against Pogo now with frost Nova.

9-0? Shouldn't you basically just lose going second? they push ahead by a couple points of damage while you're behind a half a card draw.

Pogo on 1 and you can respond by coining ping or saving to coin nova on 2 (coin ping gets you murdered)
pogo hits for 1, drop 2 more pogos forcing the nova, you coin nova
daggers you for 1 maybe drops another pogo, you nova again but can't ping
daggers you for 1 again, redaggers, now you are capable of nova pinging.

You wind up down 2.5 hp and ahead 0.5 in card draw. Your random cards really need to outperform his to overcome that deficit.

Edit: Actually even if you go first the pogo coin pogo line on 1 allows the rogue to push 3 or 4, whether pinging the pogo or face is right on 2 is probably solvable but it requires a lot more thinking than i want to do. You're better off in card draw but you wind up like 5 points of damage behind the rogue.

All this to say I think if both players play correctly I'm pretty sure the rogue is heavily favored.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao frost nova strat is legit. Pogos just sit there and seethe.

Only loss so far has been to a warlock playing that new discover 2 card who wisely discovered 2 void contracts to make me run out of novas. Lost by one turn.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
9-0? Shouldn't you basically just lose going second? they push ahead by a couple points of damage while you're behind a half a card draw.

Pogo on 1 and you can respond by coining ping or saving to coin nova on 2 (coin ping gets you murdered)
pogo hits for 1, drop 2 more pogos forcing the nova, you coin nova
daggers you for 1 maybe drops another pogo, you nova again but can't ping
daggers you for 1 again, redaggers, now you are capable of nova pinging.

You wind up down 2.5 hp and ahead 0.5 in card draw. Your random cards really need to outperform his to overcome that deficit.

Edit: Actually even if you go first the pogo coin pogo line on 1 allows the rogue to push 3 or 4, whether pinging the pogo or face is right on 2 is probably solvable but it requires a lot more thinking than i want to do. You're better off in card draw but you wind up like 5 points of damage behind the rogue.

All this to say I think if both players play correctly I'm pretty sure the rogue is heavily favored.

You very often get a minion. Once you get a minion you win for the most part. Minions don't help them. Unless it's taunt.

Oct 25, 2017
These brawls are basically just be as busted as possible. Fine by me, as long as games are quick. Worst brawls are the ones where they give you random shit and the game takes forever

Status
Not open for further replies.