• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
This is the list I'm running. Honestly I just tried it originally because running the quest synergy seemed neat but it actually turned out to be really consistent from my experience. Not sure if it would be worth trying to fit Grand Lackey Erkh in this or not, I didn't try.

Yeah Quest Gal. Rogue is good against Druid, but is regular Gal. Rogue is better against the field; Druid is a lot of the field though.

As for Grand Lackey Erkh, I think he is anti-synergy with Gal. Rogue; usually you are struggling to make space to draw 0 cost Galakrond/Toggwaggle cards.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the list I'm running. Honestly I just tried it originally because running the quest synergy seemed neat but it actually turned out to be really consistent from my experience. Not sure if it would be worth trying to fit Grand Lackey Erkh in this or not, I didn't try.

Have you ever incidentally completed the quest just through random lackey cards? You could discover class dragons and you could discover thief cards with the spell fella.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that minions that have been "disappeared" by the Reno hero battlecry do not trigger deathrattle and do not go into the resurrect pool. Has that been confirmed yet?

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I assume that minions that have been "disappeared" by the Reno hero battlecry do not trigger deathrattle and do not go into the resurrect pool. Has that been confirmed yet?

not sure about resurect, but it acts as a silence effect, so yeah no deathrattles or reborn

EDIT: and no rez either, nice!

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
What's the logic? Khadgar/Brann/Baron activate 3 times when golden.

Boom bot bombs twice. Grandma spawns a bigger wolf, shredders spawn more units.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it depends on how you look at it. Khadgar creates one copy at base and two copies at gold. Brann triggers 1 additional battlecry at base and 2 at gold. Baron triggers 1 additional deathrattle at base and two at gold. These are all actually doubled effects when going from base to gold.

So the logic is there, Lone_Prodigy in that gold doubles the base card.... roughly.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the logic? Khadgar/Brann/Baron activate 3 times when golden.

Boom bot bombs twice. Grandma spawns a bigger wolf, shredders spawn more units.
Yeah but Khadgar, Baron, and Brann all don't do anything if you play two of them. Two boom bots is two bombs, so a golden one being two makes sense. Two shredders spawn two units, so a golden spawns two. Two Kangors spawn 4 units, so a golden should spawn 4. Grandmother.....uhhh...well, yep. I personally like the 6/4 but yeah I guess it could spawn two 3/2's. Same with Infested Wolf. I guess it could spawn 4 spiders, but two 2/2's seems cleaner and better.

I dunno...it all makes sense to me I guess.

Edit: actually I forgot that Khadgar does do something if you have two of them and it's the same effect when you triple. I forgot since the only time I ever really see that is with AFK

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Playing this week's Tavern brawl has solidified how much I hate RNG (yes, I understand TB is an outlier, but RNG is the backbone of HS now). There are so many cards that rely on luck, to the point that the game is just unpleasant to play.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Like what? I feel like there's WAY less RNG in the game right now than past metas.
Really? Lackeys; Zephyrs; Dragonqueen Alex; Discover; Mind Control Tech; Discard; Spells that draw random minions from decks/add random minions to hand; cards that pull random spells/secrets; cards that award random minions/legendaries; cards that deal damage to/destroy random enemies; cards that attack random characters; cards that cast random spells; cards that award random class cards; cards that buff random allies; random Battlecry; random Deathrattle; random chance to fall asleep; (this is a bit of a goof) Whizbang.

Maybe I just continually get screwed, but this type of gameplay rewards luck over skill.

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Lackeys; Zephyrs; Dragonqueen Alex; Discover; Mind Control Tech; Discard; Spells that draw random minions from decks/add random minions to hand; cards that pull random spells/secrets; cards that award random minions/legendaries; cards that deal damage to/destroy random enemies; cards that attack random characters; cards that cast random spells; cards that award random class cards; cards that buff random allies; random Battlecry; random Deathrattle; random chance to fall asleep; (this is a bit of a goof) Whizbang.

Maybe I just continually get screwed, but this type of gameplay rewards luck over skill.
Yeah I don't know about that rewarding luck over skill.
Yeah sometimes you get screwed, but ultimately you're trying to keep yourself out of that position. I don't think anything you named is as offensive as pre nerf Yogg was. That shit was just flat out robbery.

Card games are about percentages and sometimes what you may view as luck was just someone playing to their outs. Say I could draw a card and I have 18 left in my deck and one of them will help me remove a minion...or I could play for an out by getting one of two lackey's. Which would you do? You just have to keep in mind a bunch of different options and try to not put yourself in a position to get fucked. If I put my opponent in a position to where Dragonqueen Alex into Deathwing is their absolute only out, I'm ok with that. If they hit it, they hit it, but chances are they aren't going to. With old Yogg, there was absolutely nothing you could do, but hope. There's been a bunch of other more offensive cards as well.

A lot of the stuff you listed I don't even think most would consider bad or even RNG. Like Zephrys isn't really RNG. You usually know what you or your opponent are getting.

And don't get me wrong, there's definitely bullshit, but you just have to move past it. 3 drop evolved into 8/8. -_-

Last edited:
OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically the way I feel about the game now. I guess it might be time to move on...

The game is RNG based and you can eek out percentages through gameplay decisions, deck choices and knowledge.

Ask yourself what you want to get out of the game. I like the cards, the art style and the gameplay. I tried other card games and never found the same enjoyment I did in Hearthstone. You can get rank 5 and even Legend if you are dedicated to playing and enjoying the game. If not it will be a chore.

Hell I spend as much time watching others play the game as I do myself, it's just a fun game if you have the right mindset. If you don't you will feel your are the butt of some cosmic joke. Watch me play a few games with a deck you like and tell me if you would make different plays; there is lots of room for improvement; the pro players make countless misplays. Lets get you to rank 5.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still confused, but a recent arena opponent added me as a friend and immediately accused me of netdecking. That's a first.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I tried the final battle as Reno vs Rafaam/Galakrond and lost. I suppose I have to manage my resources better.
He fills the board too often, I was clearing it over and over again waiting for him to run out of cards, but then he did this turn that filled the board with 10/16s and I didn't have any competent spells left.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the final battle as Reno vs Rafaam/Galakrond and lost. I suppose I have to manage my resources better.
He fills the board too often, I was clearing it over and over again waiting for him to run out of cards, but then he did this turn that filled the board with 10/16s and I didn't have any competent spells left.
I lost my first try at that as well. Only time I lost one of the battles in this adventure (I don't bother with heroic). It's important to save your freeze spells.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
The newest Vicious Syndicate Data Reaper.

datareaph7j4e.png

Depressing.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to think of what dragon legendaries could port over into Battlegrounds. These were the ones that stood out to be interesting.

Emeriss%2889370%29.png

- Emeriss: Certainly a 6 Star Card, Doubling the health and attack of minions in the hand is insanely strong and can certainly snowball fast which is why it should be a final tier option so it can get out of control super fast, obvious risk though is since it buffs cards in hand, they won't be doing much until it enters the battlefield and Emeriss on it's own doesn't do a lot (just a neutral 8/8).

Zzeraku_the_Warped%28151357%29.png

- Zzeraku the Warped: A Token generator on taking damage, which can synergise with Demons certainly. If you have a space spare, get a coin with every trigger of Wrath Weaver. I'd probably make this a 5 star card.

Brightwing%2890685%29.png

- Brightwing: Get a random legendary, it's stronger than Zerus because you can use it instantly and either get a 3/2 on board or 1 coin on the sell. Make it 4-5 stars. Maybe too strong with Brann though. Might need weaker legendaries in the game to balance it out (or change it's text like they do with Sneeds).

Chillmaw%2822353%29.png

- Chillmaw: A counter to Divine Shield builds which can help against Murlocs. I would make this a 4 star card because it would be too dominant in the early games.

Also here's one Dragon Legendary I don't want to see in Battlegrounds.

Onyxia%28432%29.png

- Onyxia: Basically allows for full rebuilds with 2 higher tier cards if you sell everything just from the 2 Golden Whelps you get. That's maybe a little too much to actually attempt to play around.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Was in top 2 in BG and my phone died in the middle of a fight. I rush to charge it and restart my phone and the app. Somehow I manage to reconnect and I wasn't dead yet. But I did pretty much miss the entire turn... still won.

Baron, Kangor, and Boom Bot are so good when they work. I was Edwin so my Baron was fairly buff and his Zapp sniped two vanilla Boom Bots. Then Kangor died, giving me 4 Boom Bots with double DR.

Next game I force Pogo as Shudderwock and finish 8th. That's RNG.

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to think of what dragon legendaries could port over into Battlegrounds. These were the ones that stood out to be interesting.

Emeriss%2889370%29.png

- Emeriss: Certainly a 6 Star Card, Doubling the health and attack of minions in the hand is insanely strong and can certainly snowball fast which is why it should be a final tier option so it can get out of control super fast, obvious risk though is since it buffs cards in hand, they won't be doing much until it enters the battlefield and Emeriss on it's own doesn't do a lot (just a neutral 8/8).

- Zzeraku the Warped: A Token generator on taking damage, which can synergise with Demons certainly. If you have a space spare, get a coin with every trigger of Wrath Weaver. I'd probably make this a 5 star card.

- Brightwing: Get a random legendary, it's stronger than Zerus because you can use it instantly and either get a 3/2 on board or 1 coin on the sell. Make it 4-5 stars. Maybe too strong with Brann though. Might need weaker legendaries in the game to balance it out (or change it's text like they do with Sneeds).

Chillmaw%2822353%29.png

- Chillmaw: A counter to Divine Shield builds which can help against Murlocs. I would make this a 4 star card because it would be too dominant in the early games.

Onyxia%28432%29.png

- Onyxia: Basically allows for full rebuilds with 2 higher tier cards if you sell everything just from the 2 Golden Whelps you get. That's maybe a little too much to actually attempt to play around.
I like these ideas.
What did they change about Sneed's text though? I'm pretty sure it's the same as the regular game. And he's a garbage ass minion just like the regular game. Sneed's really needs to go down to 5 stars.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

Emeriss%2889370%29.png

Chillmaw%2822353%29.png

Onyxia%28432%29.png

The problem is that holding cards in BGs....is not a thing and dragons would definitely suffer from it.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
They're going to have to create new dragons for BG. The existing ones in the game just don't work, unless they introduce hand interactions (which would be interesting, for sure). I can see them changing a lot of the "if you're holding a dragon" effects to be "if you control a dragon" to make it easier.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that holding cards in BGs....is not a thing and dragons would definitely suffer from it.
There's definitely times you hold cards. There's a ton of times I find myself just holding on to a Foereaper, Maexxna, Zapp and other cards until an appropriate time to use it. Or I'll be hoarding cards while waiting for a triple and I power spike with a bunch of shit. All of those I mentioned would benefit from that battlecry.

Edit: unless you meant dragons in general. Emeriss would be cool though. I could also see holding cards working if they just change the text for some cards. Like gain +3 health for each card you're holding for Twilight Drake. Makes it so only two cards would make it worth it if it's like a 3 star unit it something.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think the dragon mechanic works or could even be fun in BGs, hopefully they have something in mind about it because even something like emeriss is nice, but it would be more like a tool instead of a whole strategy, and an endgame at that. They idea of introducing the tribe should be to make a new way to play BGs and I think they know that, even elemental mechanic make a lot more sense than Dragons, they need to come up with something.

Also the watcher nerf is live... didn't realize until I found it in my playthrough

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think the dragon mechanic works or could even be fun in BGs, hopefully they have something in mind about it because even something like emeriss is nice, but it would be more like a tool instead of a whole strategy, and an endgame at that. They idea of introducing the tribe should be to make a new way to play BGs and I think they know that, even elemental mechanic make a lot more sense than Dragons, they need to come up with something.

Also the watcher nerf is live... didn't realize until I found it in my playthrough
Yeah the watcher nerf went live yesterday. But I've been wanting elementals a lot more than dragons. Could be very interesting. There's just a lot more units and effects in general that they could put in that would be really interesting.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Tried out Milhouse on a whim and did badly. I had no trouble building a board but transitioning to a tribe later was very difficult due to the refresh cost. Maybe menagerie works best for him?

I've seen fewer demon comps which is a boon to Jaraxxus and mainly run into mech and Murloc boards now.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Tried out Milhouse on a whim and did badly. I had no trouble building a board but transitioning to a tribe later was very difficult due to the refresh cost. Maybe menagerie works best for him?

I've seen fewer demon comps which is a boon to Jaraxxus and mainly run into mech and Murloc boards now.
Millhouse is useless. Worse than having no hero power at all.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Good article. RNG is at the heart of Hearthstone, but the skill comes in knowing your matchups, practicing your deck and playing to your outs.
I feel like this was specifically posted for me... :-) Anyway, going to definitely read it later.

Quick question: What are the absolute worst, automatically dust legendaries?

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this was specifically posted for me... :-) Anyway, going to definitely read it later.

Celestia... that being one of many.

I have her engraved in memory because I got her in golden from the preorder back on boomsday

OP
OP
manhack

manhack

Oct 27, 2017

Well it's definitely timely. I feel your frustration. I've seen a lot of people get angry/salty/depressed over the game. I've been there myself. Eventually I've come to embrace the game, and the RNG, after trying other card games and realizing I don't like them. I play for fun and realize good play over lots of games will get your where you want to be. Just need to actually enjoy the games to get there.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Decide to try Jaraxxus. Don't see any Weavers and when I fought Tirion he had a golden and two more vanilla. That game didn't go well.

Millhouse is useless. Worse than having no hero power at all.

Yeah you really need to high roll triples to have any chance (which applies to most heroes). I was in a game versus one and he was at 40 HP after the first few turns and ended up 8th.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah, Millhouse is not a fun hero to play, even if you get good luck with triples as being able to reroll 4-5 times at the end is not good if you're looking for something either to get triple or stats. Like I had with my latest attempt with it, got ok Murloc start, but one Bagurgle and then nothing after that, no another Bagurgle even after 3 rounds of rerolling and one last with Tavern Level 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.