• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How's the game for new people these days? I played for a month a couple of years ago and it really felt like I was at the point of quitting or spending money and I had zero income then so I quit. I've just grabbed the game and bought the welcome bundle, is that enough to get me going or will I eventually get sucked into buying packs if I want to improve? Also, I have 560 gold, should I be spending this on packs or something else?

Oct 25, 2017
How's the game for new people these days? I played for a month a couple of years ago and it really felt like I was at the point of quitting or spending money and I had zero income then so I quit. I've just grabbed the game and bought the welcome bundle, is that enough to get me going or will I eventually get sucked into buying packs if I want to improve? Also, I have 560 gold, should I be spending this on packs or something else?

They got a new ranked system for new players.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
He won't be eligible, not a new account. Pretty unfortunate in that way.

Even with the welcome bundle I would start a new account.

Yup, it sucks, I've played a bunch of games and everyone has better decks than me, it's like I'm the only mother fucker in the world with a basic deck lol. Realistically how long/how much would it take to be on a relatively even playing field?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it sucks, I've played a bunch of games and everyone has better decks than me, it's like I'm the only mother fucker in the world with a basic deck lol. Realistically how long/how much would it take to be on a relatively even playing field?

Not much. What takes a lot of money or time is having multiple decks to compete or a control deck.

You can make a zoo or mid-range Hunter deck within a week or so of starting especially if you sacrifice crappy legendaries you may open.

But starting over with a new account will give you access to rank 50 which is exclusively new accounts.

This is a pretty good time to start. Zoo is very good and cheap as is Hunter in some versions. Rotation is coming up in four months which will reduce the card pool as well.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not much. What takes a lot of money or time is having multiple decks to compete or a control deck.

You can make a zoo or mid-range Hunter deck within a week or so of starting especially if you sacrifice crappy legendaries you may open.

But starting over with a new account will give you access to rank 50 which is exclusively new accounts.

This is a pretty good time to start. Zoo is very good and cheap as is Hunter in some versions. Rotation is coming up in four months which will reduce the card pool as well.

Hunter is what I played last time so I have a few cards already, this is what I'm using now.

38K1Iqo.jpg

EDIT: I had enough currency to build the top decks budget Hunter build, now to play some in bed!

woBolCj.png
https://i.imgur.com/woBolCj.png

Last edited:

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The thing about Baku/Genn Paladin is that it'll probably still be pretty viable after rotation because of how powerful the hero power is. The early Baku lists were legitimately running BASIC cards like Raid Leader and Stormwind Champion and performing well until Paladin got better tools in later expansions. Someone literally hit legend only using basic cards along with Genn Greymane during the Boomsday Meta. Blizzard may create a new absurdly powerful Paladin archetype or there are a lot of reliable tools to deal with constant 1/1's (Dragonmaw Scorcher being a good example of this) in the next expansion.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally i got good luck with my packs after 3 terrible expansion packs. Got these from 180 packs:

Hexlord malacrass
Hi'reek, the bat
Hakkar the soulflayer
Zul'jin
Golden Princess Talanji
Halazzi, the lynx
Gonk, the raptor
Wardruid loti
High Priestess Jeklik
Akali, the rhino
Griftah
Oondasta
Zentimo

Really good overall, basically i just crafted jan'alai. I'm still on the fence with undatakah.

Has anyone played with Whizbang in the new expansion? Are the new recipes any good?
They are far better than they were on boomsday. Keep in mind that still they are pretty limited, the recipes are never as good as tier 1 decks.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play much constructed last expansion due to BFA sucking me in. So it's been a while since I've been like... play 1 game to clear quest and then bed. And then like an hour or so later I have 8 games completed.

Definitely enjoying some overload aggro shaman. I found this deck by just browsing hsreplay and limiting deck selection to my collection. Very neat functionality. Not the highest winrate on the list, but one that I saw in play before and thought it'd be neat to try. It's a fun deck. https://hsreplay.net/decks/2cYO0OExgoXGsj6Vyf583/#gameType=RANKED_STANDARD

Oh yeah, hsreplay is on android now? Hot! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.mbonnin.arcanetracker

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
Finally i got good luck with my packs after 3 terrible expansion packs. Got these from 180 packs:

Hexlord malacrass
Hi'reek, the bat
Hakkar the soulflayer
Zul'jin
Golden Princess Talanji
Halazzi, the lynx
Gonk, the raptor
Wardruid loti
High Priestess Jeklik
Akali, the rhino
Griftah
Oondasta
Zentimo

Really good overall, basically i just crafted jan'alai. I'm still on the fence with undatakah.

They are far better than they were on boomsday. Keep in mind that still they are pretty limited, the recipes are never as good as tier 1 decks.
No I know. I just get tired of playing with tier 1 decks sometimes and like to see how much I can win with the Whiz. Good to know they are better than Boomsday because most of those were pretty bad.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
hakkar druid is actually busted. lmao

you might want to reconsider playing an odd deck, you want that geist...

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait what deck is this?

A worse version of toggwaggle druid that uses all your cards, plays hakkar, breaks the weapon, naturalizes hakkar, draws two cards with wild growth to put more blood cards in the deck, plays toggwaggle then naturalizes togg to kill your opponent.

It's a ridiculous combo that is basically no improvement on any of the other druid combo decks.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Here's a Reddit post on various budget decks for the new expansion.

https://reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/a4cc98/rastakhans_rumble_budget_decks_for_all_9_classes/

Might give you some ideas.

Yeah I'm using this one from the list https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/budget-midrange-hunter-deck-list-guide/

My problem is I seem to run out of cards on the board really fast, like I'll be doing well, have them nearly beat and then poof, I have one card on the board and they have 5. I guess I'm playing it wrong as I'm a total noob. I do win some games though, I mostly struggle with Warrior and Druid.

Oct 25, 2017
great now i seeing alot of druids running underakah now.
Not gonna lie, I crafted it and the shit is fun. Probably not any good after this week, but definitely a fun card and since it's neutral at least I can try it in more classes
I didn't play much constructed last expansion due to BFA sucking me in. So it's been a while since I've been like... play 1 game to clear quest and then bed. And then like an hour or so later I have 8 games completed.

Definitely enjoying some overload aggro shaman. I found this deck by just browsing hsreplay and limiting deck selection to my collection. Very neat functionality. Not the highest winrate on the list, but one that I saw in play before and thought it'd be neat to try. It's a fun deck. https://hsreplay.net/decks/2cYO0OExgoXGsj6Vyf583/#gameType=RANKED_STANDARD

Oh yeah, hsreplay is on android now? Hot! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.mbonnin.arcanetracker
I faced an aggro overload shaman and that shit was kinda scary. Still won (saved by dk Rexxar lololol), but I think there's definitely gonna be potential.

Edit: I wonder how it will be in wild with bullshit cards like fucking crackle.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
A worse version of toggwaggle druid that uses all your cards, plays hakkar, breaks the weapon, naturalizes hakkar, draws two cards with wild growth to put more blood cards in the deck, plays toggwaggle then naturalizes togg to kill your opponent.

It's a ridiculous combo that is basically no improvement on any of the other druid combo decks.
idk about it personally but in the vid I watched on it by kripp he said it's cheaper/requires less combo pieces for the finisher than any other druid shenanigans. the only downside is that if your opponent knows what you're doing and keeps 9 cards in hand, you. can't. win, ever

I pulled a golden hakkar so I might have to give in and finally craft toggwaggle since I have avoided it for so long bc most of those decks are just unfair cancer, this is uniquely cool though

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm super sad to see discard warlock lose every time during the university championships.
I'll still probably craft the deck.
:(

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That will serve you disgustingly well for the next four months.

After I crafted it my friend said it would go out of rotation soon and wasn't worth it, but it feels worth it? 4 months of enjoying a great card seems OK to me. Plus if I'm still playing in 4 months and loving it I'll just buy the big bundle for the next expansion. I'm planning to play F2P(ish) until then, I bought the welcome bundle which was great value and the Windrunner Hero just because it looks cool, but that's it, no more cash is going into it for now.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After I crafted it my friend said it would go out of rotation soon and wasn't worth it, but it feels worth it? 4 months of enjoying a great card seems OK to me. Plus if I'm still playing in 4 months and loving it I'll just buy the big bundle for the next expansion. I'm planning to play F2P(ish) until then, I bought the welcome bundle which was great value and the Windrunner Hero just because it looks cool, but that's it, no more cash is going into it for now.

Totally worth it. Four months is a long time and enables your current deck better than any other card you could craft.

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely worth it and I think anyone that says otherwise is being ridiculous. 4 months is such a long time if you're playing the game daily. If you're getting anything more than 2 months out of a card, it seems worth it to me. I haven't hesitated to craft a card in January or February if I know I'll use it and have fun with it before rotation.
I figured out the meta, "who draws their I win combo better/faster".
So the same meta as before? Sounds exciting!

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there is anything more frustrating than a Wandering Monster into a King Mukla, of course he gets Huffer too. I'm dead by turn seven.

Then the well played emote. This fucking game.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
Went 11 wins with the free brawl ticket using Odd Mage. Surprised that I was able to always beat Shudderwock, but maybe I was lucky always having Alex on turn 9 and put a lot of pressure. Got rekt by Warlocks obv.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
OK, so me not spending any money on this game was complete bullshit apparently, so which packs are the best to buy? Is it based on what you need or what? I heard people say classic packs are always a good idea, but also there's some really cool new cards in the latest expansion.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, so me not spending any money on this game was complete bullshit apparently, so which packs are the best to buy? Is it based on what you need or what? I heard people say classic packs are always a good idea, but also there's some really cool new cards in the latest expansion.
you want to build up you classic collection first. a majority of your decks will be made up of 30-50% classic and core cards, and there's certain cards that will be evergreens that you want to acquire as soon as possible. you'll get a free classic pack each week if you complete the Tavern Brawl, so eventually you'll fill it out, but the pace is glacial and not really practical. i'd recommend spending your money/gold there first. alternatively, if you get one of the larger bundles from the most recent expansions, you'll have a bunch of dust left over which you can use to craft the classic cards you're missing. generally speaking, if you're going to buy cards, you want to get the most recent three expansions. i saw you crafted Rexxar and said you don't think it's a waste if you're getting 4 months of fun out of it, and i totally agree, but you wouldn't want to buy KFT packs since all those cards rotate out in February or March.

this isn't an infallible guide but HSReplay lets you sort cards by set, class, and popularity, which can give you a rough idea of what the most useful cards from the classic set are when you're trying to figure out what to craft next (https://hsreplay.net/cards/#set=EXPERT1&sortBy=includedPopularity). keep in mind that this list is affected by the meta, and this is a rough guide - Greenskin is higher than usual since weapons are in right now, but he's not as versatile as the other legendaries listed, and Geddon is neat but hadn't seen regular play for years until recently - so feel free to consult people ITT before dropping 1600 dust.

a few f2p pointers; dailies are what keep the game free. you get a new one each day, and they can be rerolled, so if you get a quest worth 50g, reroll it. you can have up to 3 quests at a time, so even if you get another 50g quest, you have two more chances to reroll it for something higher. sometimes you'll get a 'play a friend' quest that's worth 80g, in which case you should swing by the hearthpwn forums and look for their friend quest trading thread. there are occasionally seasonal events that will offer double gold or extra rewards, so pop in to the thread to keep an eye out for those.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
kingsbane is the most honest combo deck. Paladin oth, fuck that deck lol. I thought paladins were supposed to fight with honor.

togwaggle druid is so broken now it's not even funny anymore. It actually doesn't care about paladin's timeout, so that's one way to crush that deck. Taunt is also very strong, you can switch between these two depending on what you face. I think kingsbane beats both but it's hard to maneuver it overall.

I think honest decks are pretty terrible right now actually. Zoo and similar are no good. These combo decks have no trouble fending of that kind of board aggression. Hunter is a bit better, not too impressive but it's strong, not as good as previous set but it's still the most consistent ladder deck. If you draw leeching poison you won't lose to hunter as rogue otherwise it's rough. So it's about even I think. Odd paladin is good but people don't play it as much because it has zero new cards, I expect it to go up after a bit which counters hunters decks.

Control is dead unless you consider this cycle paladin decks control, I feel nobody plays odd mage anymore, every mage I faced today was quest mage.... Shudderwock is only good against kingsbane, it really doesn't beat anything else unless you play the bombs instead of life drinker which makes the deck a lot worse in general. That's my experience overall. Even shaman is of course still good but again zero new cards basically.

Warrior feels like the worst class by far, nothing works. Tempo can't close games, control is auto lose to all the combo decks. Priest seems pretty decent but I haven't played it yet.

Overall I feel Baku/Greymane need a nerf in the next few months. Rotation will cleanse all these dumb combos but it's apparent that odd/even decks will always be meta with their current state. Doesn't matter what cards they release. 1 mana totem, 1 mana life tap, 2 dude etc are too absurd.

Last edited:

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
v curious as to to what 'honest' means re: hearthstone

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka

If there ever was a legendary that was worth it, that would definitely be it.

Enjoy it! Rexxar is a ton of fun!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
you want to build up you classic collection first. a majority of your decks will be made up of 30-50% classic and core cards, and there's certain cards that will be evergreens that you want to acquire as soon as possible. you'll get a free classic pack each week if you complete the Tavern Brawl, so eventually you'll fill it out, but the pace is glacial and not really practical. i'd recommend spending your money/gold there first. alternatively, if you get one of the larger bundles from the most recent expansions, you'll have a bunch of dust left over which you can use to craft the classic cards you're missing. generally speaking, if you're going to buy cards, you want to get the most recent three expansions. i saw you crafted Rexxar and said you don't think it's a waste if you're getting 4 months of fun out of it, and i totally agree, but you wouldn't want to buy KFT packs since all those cards rotate out in February or March.

this isn't an infallible guide but HSReplay lets you sort cards by set, class, and popularity, which can give you a rough idea of what the most useful cards from the classic set are when you're trying to figure out what to craft next (https://hsreplay.net/cards/#set=EXPERT1&sortBy=includedPopularity). keep in mind that this list is affected by the meta, and this is a rough guide - Greenskin is higher than usual since weapons are in right now, but he's not as versatile as the other legendaries listed, and Geddon is neat but hadn't seen regular play for years until recently - so feel free to consult people ITT before dropping 1600 dust.

a few f2p pointers; dailies are what keep the game free. you get a new one each day, and they can be rerolled, so if you get a quest worth 50g, reroll it. you can have up to 3 quests at a time, so even if you get another 50g quest, you have two more chances to reroll it for something higher. sometimes you'll get a 'play a friend' quest that's worth 80g, in which case you should swing by the hearthpwn forums and look for their friend quest trading thread. there are occasionally seasonal events that will offer double gold or extra rewards, so pop in to the thread to keep an eye out for those.

That's for the tips, that's a useful link. I installed the deck helper overlay yesterday and it's amazing, plus tracking my games is really helpful. I'm planning to finish over my mid range Hunter then I want to try Mage as they look really fun, but I only have 7/30 for the budget elemental deck lol.

If there ever was a legendary that was worth it, that would definitely be it.

Enjoy it! Rexxar is a ton of fun!

It has made a massive difference to my enjoyment and the power of my deck, definitely no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.