• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Genn and Baku are ok.

I think other ways to nerf them beyond making them appear in opening hand is to manipulate your starting life total. I don't know the right number, but if you start with say 20-25hp it could be a way to balance them across the board.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Let's reassess Genn and Baku after rotation, when cards that were never balanced for them will be gone. A lot of irreplaceable stuff is leaving.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Well, Seaforium Bomber is one way to take care of Myra's Unstable Element. Or, aka, fuck! I'm dead.

Cool card, but I'm pissed.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 3 stars definitely accelerated the climb back to 15. Maybe I'll hit 10 this season for the first time in a few months. Haven't hit five in probably a year and a half. I can't bring myself to play enough.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let's reassess Genn and Baku after rotation, when cards that were never balanced for them will be gone. A lot of irreplaceable stuff is leaving.
Even if i think baku and genn need some kind of nerf, I agree with this.

Year of the mammoth cards are way powerful and may be with those cards getting away in 2 months the situation can drastically change.

Although I think they have a very good chance to still be powerful, mostly because how this games goes around the hero power, which in itself is a very consistent and easy way to pull value outside the deck.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The 3 stars definitely accelerated the climb back to 15. Maybe I'll hit 10 this season for the first time in a few months. Haven't hit five in probably a year and a half. I can't bring myself to play enough.
I want to eventually hit Legend, which at my level is a stupid goal.
As you have hit the higher levels, any advice?

Even if i think baku and genn need some kind of nerf, I agree with this.

Year of the mammoth cards are way powerful and may be with those cards getting away in 2 months the situation can drastically change.

Although I think they have a very good chance to still be powerful, mostly because how this games goes around the hero power, which in itself is a very consistent and easy way to pull value outside the deck.

And we don't know the focus of the next expansion, either.

Oct 25, 2017

Not a stupid goal. Just take steps getting there and don't expect it to happen all of a sudden. The grind from 5 to legend isn't so much hard as it is just seriously time consuming, since you don't get bonus stars in those ranks.

I think one of the most important things to remember in order to make progress is knowing when to stop once you're tilted.

Besides that, it's mostly just knowing matchups and how to exploit the meta. Since Hunter became very prevalent after the last nerfs, I went all in with Priest and it's been very very easy to climb. Control Priest is just such a damn good deck that can beat anything. I've even beat almost every odd/taunt/quest warrior that I've come across.

So find a deck you like and that you're having fun with and try to figure out the matchups. Ask questions and post replays. People are always happy to give advice and help.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
If we're talking about that final stretch to legend, then stick with one deck, play a lot of games with not too much mind paid to your moment to moment ranking because rng happens, and take a break before going on tilt and going on a losing streak.

But that's for when you feel confident enough in your skills to make that last push. There can be a lot to learn before worrying about that, depending on where you are.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Not a stupid goal. Just take steps getting there and don't expect it to happen all of a sudden. The grind from 5 to legend isn't so much hard as it is just seriously time consuming, since you don't get bonus stars in those ranks.

I think one of the most important things to remember in order to make progress is knowing when to stop once you're tilted.

Besides that, it's mostly just knowing matchups and how to exploit the meta. Since Hunter became very prevalent after the last nerfs, I went all in with Priest and it's been very very easy to climb. Control Priest is just such a damn good deck that can beat anything. I've even beat almost every odd/taunt/quest warrior that I've come across.

So find a deck you like and that you're having fun with and try to figure out the matchups. Ask questions and post replays. People are always happy to give advice and help.
If we're talking about that final stretch to legend, then stick with one deck, play a lot of games with not too much mind paid to your moment to moment ranking because rng happens, and take a break before going on tilt and going on a losing streak.

But that's for when you feel confident enough in your skills to make that last push. There can be a lot to learn before worrying about that, depending on where you are.

Still banging around the lower ranks, but I'm getting a better feel for ladder now. I get less "tilty" and quit if I go on a bad run. I'm starting to get the impression that if I put the time in, I could probably hit Rank 10 in a few months (particularly with the new ranking system and after next rotation). I just have to be more considerate/patient on ladder as I made a few misplays yesterday that cost me the game. However, the fact that I knew it was a misplay and was the reason I lost is a huge improvement in my knowledge of the game.

The few months I took off seems to have had a positive effect on my enjoyment of the game, too.

Thanks for the advice!

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with rotating classic. I prefer having some more flexibility in what can be printed in expansion sets. If you get rid of classic you wind up with even more holes that need to be filled every rotation. You wind up turning out a lot of very similar cards are cards that serve similar roles

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with rotating classic. I prefer having some more flexibility in what can be printed in expansion sets. If you get rid of classic you wind up with even more holes that need to be filled every rotation. You wind up turning out a lot of very similar cards are cards that serve similar roles

then they rotate out most the cards from the classic set and the new rotating set of each year should include those useful benign cards, because I think cards like Doomsayer are beneficial for the game and keeping them around forever doesn't seem so bad.

making a rotating set each year that cicles through the HS history doesn't mean it always have to be different cards, there can be evergreen cards that are just utility cards. The rotation works to bring new ideas each year and also to take out problematic cards, for example, one year the set could bring muster for battle to the classic set, but since that is a problematic card, it will probably rotate out it on the following year.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I got bored, so I finally made discardlock. It's funny when things like this happen. However, it's too inconsistent to be taken seriously.

Hearthstone-Screenshot-02-02-19-07-55-50.png

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
Just OTK Paladin'd a Paladin with my Thief Rogue.

Shadowstep on 1st + Vanish on 2nd + Elekk + Lab Recruiter on the 3rd horseman to topdeck with ease.

Feels good man.

Makeshift deck has a surprisingly good win rate of 54% for me. It still feels really boom or bust though.

Either way its a blast to play for the sheer variety every game.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Just OTK Paladin'd a Paladin with my Thief Rogue.

Shadowstep on 1st + Vanish on 2nd + Elekk + Lab Recruiter on the 3rd horseman to topdeck with ease.

Feels good man.

Makeshift deck has a surprisingly good win rate of 54% for me. It still feels really boom or bust though.

Either way its a blast to play for the sheer variety every game.
Mind posting a deck list? My Study Rogue needs updating...

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I just read the changes, WTF were they thinking!?

I was already pretty much breaking up with Hearthstone over the last months, this gives me the final kick out the door. Now see what they'll do to slam the door shut. But these nerfs are one more reminder that Hearthstone won't suddenly become a game I want to play again because Blizzard lacks either a clear direction or the will to follow through on what they really want to do.

All I do these days is win five ranked games for my card back. After this I don't think I can manage even that.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a 5000 dust deck yesterday with a new account from scratch.

The new player bonuses are so good that the most effective way to be a free to play player may be to create a new account for each deck. This is my mage account, this is my Hunter account etc.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I made a 5000 dust deck yesterday with a new account from scratch.

The new player bonuses are so good that the most effective way to be a free to play player may be to create a new account for each deck. This is my mage account, this is my Hunter account etc.

if only the switching accounts would be easy this could be a viable thing with this game.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
They should be announcing year of whatever very soon. Maybe this week even and with that comes new HoF candidates but I can't think of any card after these big nerfs...

jml

Mar 9, 2018
They should be announcing year of whatever very soon. Maybe this week even and with that comes new HoF candidates but I can't think of any card after these big nerfs...
I could still see them HOFing Preparation because of how that card limits their ability to create new rogue spells

(Might be wishful thinking on my part though because I've been saving 2 golden preps hoping for it)

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Fer What did I just watch? A Mechuthun combo?
It's Cataclysm wiping the board, Mecha'thuns deathrattles trigger, but so does that other card that makes your hero into Ragnaros. This happens a lot of times since there's so many on the board.

Gotta say though, I thought It'd be a draw in the end. Doesn't the Shaman have enough Mecha'thun's to kill every hero?

Last edited:

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
a lot of cool card backs in the patch all tied to some event, there are like 3 and I don't know how one gets Mark card back first...

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hakkar tavern brawl, a few accounts get infected with the card back. If you play someone that has the card back you get "infected" and you get your own card back.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
The Jaina art change after 5+ years just seems like an odd decision. Like they want to try to erase any questionable decisions made in the past that may have reflected poorly. But we don't know exactly what motivated it of course. It's not that big a deal it's just hilariously weird and puritanical to be happening now.

It's just really odd to see effort go into innocuous things like this vs. doing much development on anything that's not a direct way to funnel people into buying card packs in the current state of the game.

Obviously different people do different things and taking an hour or two to add a photoshop layer isn't a big deal in the scheme of things, but yeah.

I've kinda been done with Hearthstone after they more or less said they're not actively working on anything besides new card sets anyway. Not much in new game modes, UI improvements, etc.

If I want a digital card game I'll keep to Magic Arena or whatever.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The Jaina change is just so lazy. I appreciate a decision to move on from the hyper sexualized art, so make some new art. Only enough money in the art budget to photoshop a tshirt over her cleavage?

Every hero could use an updated or alternate portrait tbh.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
The Jaina change is just so lazy. I appreciate a decision to move on from the hyper sexualized art, so make some new art. Only enough money in the art budget to photoshop a tshirt over her cleavage?

Yep, to all you said, especially the bolded.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
In Odd Rogue I swapped out Sinister Strike for Cold Blood. Seems okay...I do miss Leeroy/CB combo for 10 though.

Picked up the card back on my first game, now to spread the plague.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the death knights would rotate for everybody but me. They are annoying when others play them but i deserve to keep access. Because I'm awesome.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the death knights would rotate for everybody but me. They are annoying when others play them but i deserve to keep access. Because I'm awesome.

Sure, just pay extra for the reprint. That'll be $30 each.

Also no joke, this is the actual mentality Blizzard has been catering to as of late across pretty much all their games. It's pretty gross.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love when these nerfs happen. Got 4000 dust from this one since I only disenchant my extras when nerfs occur.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It'd be cool if we got a new portrait of the original heroes with every standard rotation. Each partly inspired by the year's animal (e.g. crow). They'd probably charge for that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.