• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm betting they are getting nerfed on end of may or beginning of june after they see they are still prevalent on new year's meta

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Make the effect a battle cry, both cards are dead. Make the effect a battle cry BUT each card is guaranteed to be in your opening hand, still dead. Make each effect a battle cry and guaranteed to be in the opening hand and each one becomes a cheaper / weaker minion, then maybe. Both are the type of cards that probably don't get played after a nerf.

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
Make the effect a battle cry, both cards are dead. Make the effect a battle cry BUT each card is guaranteed to be in your opening hand, still dead. Make each effect a battle cry and guaranteed to be in the opening hand and each one becomes a cheaper / weaker minion, then maybe. Both are the type of cards that probably don't get played after a nerf.
How about this -- some cards have caps on the amount of 'effects' they can trigger (like Shudderwock's Battlecry). Maybe you only get limited uses (like 10 total) of the upgraded hero power out of Genn/Baku? At the end it reverts back. You still get to keep it at the start of the game, you still included Genn/Baku, you still have the deck restrictions, but you can't go infinite. Or perhaps 20 uses, I'm not sure how to balance it properly. After all, if you consider the hero power can only be used once a turn, and a deck may not opt to hit it literally every turn, a higher number might end up doing nothing to alleviate the problem.

However at the same time, nerfing a ton of other cards out of existence just to balance out these mistakes also doesn't feel good.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting hand and starting health manipulation are the only ways I want Genn and Baku balanced. Battlecry is super dumb.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
battlecry just outright kill them, not even a consideration on that part, Team 5 want these to be powerful, that would be even worse than warsong commander nerf.

Keeping them at the starting hand are the only ones I can think of that are viable.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Battlecry would literally just make Baku a shittier Justicar. I agree that the two cards have suffocated card design since their release, but I'm willing to hold my breath until the rotation and see how things net out.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Starting hand and starting health manipulation are the only ways I want Genn and Baku balanced. Battlecry is super dumb.

Huh that would be an interesting way to balance cards like that more.

And Reno/Kazakus were interesting at first but became overwhelming later after more sets released especially.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Baku/genn are still better than reno/kazakus crap.

I really don't think so. reno/kazakus archetype was fun in a way we had to run a deck with 30 different cards making for some wacky elements to be added as well as a very non linear gameplay, genn/baku exacerbates one of the problematics in HS as a card game, the hero power is really not a fun element, and making the deck rely on that is even worse.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I had connection problems so I decided to uninstall and install again (android).
The new version is great, they got rid of most of the sound effects and left only the essentials.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had connection problems so I decided to uninstall and install again (android).
The new version is great, they got rid of most of the sound effects and left only the essentials.

I wanted to do that just to see if I could get back the hi-res card images back on the game, the ones they put for mobile are way too low quality

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think so. reno/kazakus archetype was fun in a way we had to run a deck with 30 different cards making for some wacky elements to be added as well as a very non linear gameplay, genn/baku exacerbates one of the problematics in HS as a card game, the hero power is really not a fun element, and making the deck rely on that is even worse.

Reno/kazakus was like 13 good cards, 2 op cards, the rest filler. Yeah real fun when your opponent happens to draw their OP cards and their deck building downside doesn't even matter. IMO it is the worst archetype. Genn/baku may have it's downsides but not as bad as reno/kazakus.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I don't see the need to do more than nerf a few upgraded hero-powers. Genn is fine. Baku is fine in most classes.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reno/kazakus was like 13 good cards, 2 op cards, the rest filler. Yeah real fun when your opponent happens to draw their OP cards and their deck building downside doesn't even matter. IMO it is the worst archetype. Genn/baku may have it's downsides but not as bad as reno/kazakus.

I really can't argue on opinions, but I still think that pressing a button each turn is far far less interesting than playing potentially 30 different cards and 2 of them being OP

About how much money does it cost to get all the cards from each expansion?

a lot, I think I saw a figure of about 285 packs on average to get enough dust to make all cards in an expansion.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Maybe I'll just start with Rumble and go from there.

Keep in mind that many cards aren't really usable or aren't usable until a later set releases and makes them good or viable. So the actual amount you need to sink in to acquire the "playable" part of each set is much lower than the full set.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. Maybe I'll just start with Rumble and go from there.

you don't need nearly a full set at all, you can still make it pretty fine with far fewer packs, for example, to have all common and rare cards in a set you need 100 packs on average, and far less if you just want to have the good needed cards.

I'm not sure how much are you willing to pay on this game, but for example I only pay the preorder (50 packs) and the rest I get them with my gold. that gets you most of it.

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing during Goblins vs Gnomes and have only ever spent money on the solo adventures and my collection is pretty good

I know it's a lot harder now but I wouldn't go nuts buying packs

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Tachya Wiibomb I burned most of my cards to craft Druid meta, then burned those for Odd Rogue. I'm basically starting from scratch. Was thinking of going all in for the next expansion as so many sets are rotating out.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, that seems the consensus. Appreciate the discussion...

Buying individual cards was the one thing I think Artifact got right.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tachya Wiibomb I burned most of my cards to craft Druid meta, then burned those for Odd Rogue. I'm basically starting from scratch. Was thinking of going all in for the next expansion as so many sets are rotating out.

may be but take into account that burning cards is not an efficient option at all. For example, to make a common card you need to burn through 8 other common cards, to make a rare you need far more and so on and on.

I would advise to try to make a collection of cards and play what you get for some time, specially before a meta settles, and don't burn through the good cards of the set because those will see some use sometime on the time they are on standard.

burning wild cards could be your thing if you don't care about wild.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my new account decks made with the cards and dust you get from the packs and legendaries they throw at you.

### Dragon Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Shield Slam
# 2x (2) Armorsmith
# 2x (2) Dragon Roar
# 2x (2) Execute
# 2x (2) Firetree Witchdoctor
# 1x (2) Slam
# 2x (2) Warpath
# 1x (3) Fiery War Axe
# 2x (3) Shield Block
# 2x (3) Smolderthorn Lancer
# 2x (4) Scaleworm
# 2x (4) Twilight Drake
# 2x (5) Dragonmaw Scorcher
# 2x (5) Emberscale Drake
# 2x (7) Crowd Roaster
# 1x (7) Gorehowl
# 1x (7) Wyrmguard
#
AAECAQcEkQOqBrIIjO8CDaIE1ASRBv8HjQiJ8QKb8wKBhwOLhwPoiQPsiQOqiwPolAMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

### Midrange Hunter
# Class: Hunter
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Candleshot
# 2x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Springpaw
# 2x (1) Timber Wolf
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Crackling Razormaw
# 2x (2) Hunter's Mark
# 2x (2) Scavenging Hyena
# 2x (3) Animal Companion
# 2x (3) Kill Command
# 2x (3) Master's Call
# 1x (3) Unleash the Hounds
# 1x (4) Dire Frenzy
# 2x (4) Flanking Strike
# 1x (5) Tundra Rhino
# 1x (6) Deathstalker Rexxar
# 2x (6) Savannah Highmane
#
AAECAR8EuwXbCYbTAsn4Ag2NAagCtQPeBJcI7QmBCo7DAt3SAuHjAovlAqCFA6SIAwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

### Tempo Mage
# Class: Mage
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 2x (1) Mirror Image
# 2x (1) Shooting Star
# 1x (2) Amani Berserker
# 2x (2) Arcanologist
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Primordial Glyph
# 2x (2) Sorcerer's Apprentice
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Cinderstorm
# 1x (3) Counterspell
# 2x (3) Explosive Runes
# 2x (3) Kirin Tor Mage
# 1x (3) Stargazer Luna
# 2x (4) Cosmic Anomaly
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 1x (6) Aluneth
#
AAECAf0EBHGWBqLTAu72Ag27AqsEtATmBJYF7AW8CMHBApjEAo/TAvvsApX/Arn/AgA=
#

The new player experience is just so good right now.

The change to 3 stars is a pretty bad change for them though. Yes you get your packs faster but right when you get to rank 20-25 it's fairly commonly meta decks so more time at ranks 26-50 can give you some practice time. But a small gripe.

Oct 25, 2017
Baku/genn are still better than reno/kazakus crap.
I don't mind Genn and Baku. I find the decks pretty fair and at least I know what I'm playing against immediately. It just sucks trying to play Hunter with odd paladin around.

Reno and Kazakus I had no issue with either. I actually found Reno fun to play against and very satisfying to beat. Kazakus was a fun card to use, but occasionally frustrating to play against, but nothing unbearable. It was goddamn Raza that was the tipping point and made me take a few breaks. I thought the nerf it got was lame, but at least I didn't have to see it anymore. Probably still the worst deck I've ever played against.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the raza deck was an outlier of the singleton archetype, it's pretty clear that deck is not valid when not only it doesn't exist anymore but also blizzard knew it was powerful and did something about it.

To me it's always curious how the singleton archetype was always a hand-heavy deck, I don't remember a singleton with rapid fire like the aggro deck or the hunter decks where not only card draw was an issue but also the mindrangy-aggroish part was totally absent, they were always heavy decks.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I was one win away from Rank 16, hit a string of bad luck and now I'm sitting at the floor of Rank 18. Anyone care to critique my Odd Rogue strategy/tactics?

I know much of this is conditional and I attempt to address those in order:

Changes due to nerfs: Added 2 Sinister Strikes for Cold Bloods
General strategy: Face until Leeroy/Strike/Dagger combo
Mulligan: Keep Leeroy or Sinister Strike or 1 Drop or Hench; mulligan all other cards.
Turn 1: One drop
Turn 2: Daggers, go Face with everything
Turn 3: Drop Tar or Hench or Vicious and go Face; or drop Southsea and reload daggers and go Face; or clean up a minion that could get out of control
Turn 4: Reload daggers and drop Deadly Poison and go Face with everything; drop Hench or Vicious or Tar; or clean up nasty board
Turn 5: If there are two minions on board, drop Fungalmancer and go Face with everything; or clean up nasty board with Vilespine; or drop Hench or Vicious or Tar
Turn 6: Leeroy/Sinister/Dagger combo if lethal; if not, drop Cobalt and clean up board
Turn 7: Look for above combo; Myra's
Turn 8: Keep looking for Turn 6 combo and usually one of us is dead or I realize I can't win

### Strike Odd Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Argent Squire
# 1x (1) Crystallizer
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Sinister Strike
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
# 2x (3) SI:7 Agent
# 2x (3) Tar Creeper
# 2x (3) Vicious Fledgling
# 2x (5) Cobalt Scalebane
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Myra's Unstable Element
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAECAYO6AgSvBJ74Auf6Avr+Ag3LA8YF1AX1Bd0IgcICn8IC68ICysMCyssC0eECi+UCpu8CAA==
#

Thanks for the time.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
the raza deck was an outlier of the singleton archetype, it's pretty clear that deck is not valid when not only it doesn't exist anymore but also blizzard knew it was powerful and did something about it.

To me it's always curious how the singleton archetype was always a hand-heavy deck, I don't remember a singleton with rapid fire like the aggro deck or the hunter decks where not only card draw was an issue but also the mindrangy-aggroish part was totally absent, they were always heavy decks.

Mmm, well mostly singleton was Warlock, Priest, and to a lesser extent Mage? Those classes tend to be more control or combo anyway, even if they have some strong aggro archetypes. Except Priest — Priest has never had a true aggro archetype as far as I'm aware that has been particularly powerful because the hero power doesn't support it.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was one win away from Rank 16, hit a string of bad luck and now I'm sitting at the floor of Rank 18. Anyone care to critique my Odd Rogue strategy/tactics?

I know much of this is conditional and I attempt to address those in order:

Changes due to nerfs: Added 2 Sinister Strikes for Cold Bloods
General strategy: Face until Leeroy/Strike/Dagger combo
Mulligan: Keep Leeroy or Sinister Strike or 1 Drop or Hench; mulligan all other cards.
Turn 1: One drop
Turn 2: Daggers, go Face with everything
Turn 3: Drop Tar or Hench or Vicious and go Face; or drop Southsea and reload daggers and go Face; or clean up a minion that could get out of control
Turn 4: Reload daggers and drop Deadly Poison and go Face with everything; drop Hench or Vicious or Tar; or clean up nasty board
Turn 5: If there are two minions on board, drop Fungalmancer and go Face with everything; or clean up nasty board with Vilespine; or drop Hench or Vicious or Tar
Turn 6: Leeroy/Sinister/Dagger combo if lethal; if not, drop Cobalt and clean up board
Turn 7: Look for above combo; Myra's
Turn 8: Keep looking for Turn 6 combo and usually one of us is dead or I realize I can't win

### Strike Odd Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Argent Squire
# 1x (1) Crystallizer
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Dire Mole
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 2x (1) Sinister Strike
# 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
# 2x (3) Hench-Clan Thug
# 2x (3) SI:7 Agent
# 2x (3) Tar Creeper
# 2x (3) Vicious Fledgling
# 2x (5) Cobalt Scalebane
# 2x (5) Fungalmancer
# 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
# 1x (5) Myra's Unstable Element
# 2x (5) Vilespine Slayer
# 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
#
AAECAYO6AgSvBJ74Auf6Avr+Ag3LA8YF1AX1Bd0IgcICn8IC68ICysMCyssC0eECi+UCpu8CAA==
#

Thanks for the time.

I would at first drop one Scalebane and Add either a Blinkfox or a Void Ripper. Then may be the same with crystalizer.

About your plays, you have to always keep in mind that your deck is extremely tempoish, that means that if you lose the board your chances of losing will increase a lot, you have to protect the board as much as you can because each time you lose the board you get one step closer to lose. In a turn 5 game if you lose the board you have to be very close to finish the game because you don't have many comeback tools to get back in the game, from that point most probably you will get snowballed. Your minions have to continuously do damage each turn to kill fast without dying too much.

Your weapon is your biggest control tool, try to control the board as much as you can with your weapong without being foolish, for example don't attack a 4/7 minion with your weapon unless you have a very good purpose to do that. The Deadly poison is often to clear bigger things to make a path for your minions to survive, it is not to hit face, again, unless you are near killing the opponent or something like that.

Another good tip is to know when to overcommit, you need to know the clears your opponent might have, for example not making a big board for a turn 5 mage, because they have tools like Dragon's Fury or even a priest with Mass hysteria. But for example sometimes you go against a rogue and they are not that good at clearing the board, so in that case you might want to commit more sources to the board to kill them fast.

As Mulligan, you never keep leeroy, leeroy is a turn 5 finisher card that you might incidentally find on you game to finish quickly but your main focus is to develop continously, Always always keep hench clan as it is often is the MVP of the match, similar to Vicious Fletchling, but that one is far more brittle and it can be dealt with easily. try to always find a 1 drop and don't keep sinister strike, again that card does not help you develop a board and you need a board you are a primarily tempo deck.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Wiibomb Interesting. I thought it was an aggro deck and the "Always Face"/win-quick strategy was the correct line. I've been thinking of this deck all wrong... board control first, Face second. I'll also test out those card changes. And I'm thinking about adding VanCleef, as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

Many thanks for the advice!

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I only preorder and dump gold and I can build any deck I want for 5-6 classes that I focus all my crafting on. So that's about ~$180/year to play fairly competitively so far. I think it'll only get better for me after rotation because I started with Witchwood, really. I started heavy F2P action in KotFT, but didn't preorder until rotation. (Which was a wise choice)

I need to craft the remaining epics for Odd Warrior, since that deck loses almost nothing in the rotation (Reckless FLurry and Stonehill Defender in most builds)

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wiibomb Interesting. I thought it was an aggro deck and the "Always Face"/win-quick strategy was the correct line. I've been thinking of this deck all wrong... board control first, Face second. I'll also test out those card changes. And I'm thinking about adding VanCleef, as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

Many thanks for the advice!

oh no don't get me wrong, it's a mostly aggro deck, but this one is different from the aggro deck in the past, in the past a deck like pirate warrior never cared for the board because they had charge minions and a huge ass weapon to deal with the opponent, so losing minions was not a concern, in this case the board is quite important to you as well as hitting the face, so you need to keep a balance.

Sometimes the best way to protect the board is not to deal with the minions, but instead to place a tar creeper. That's why Tar is there in that deck.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wiibomb So much of this discussion is conditional. What's on the board, in hand, etc. The archetype strategy can fall apart pretty quickly...
well, that's hearthstone... you face midrange, control, aggro, tempo, combo decks.. each has a different approach. you never face a control deck the way you face an aggro deck.

EDIT: you also have to keep in mind that odd rogue fell pretty hard with the cold blood nerf, that card was a 8 damage enabler for a combo finisher.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Wiibomb Oh, yes. I realize Odd Rogue has fallen off. But that's the deck I'm stuck with at the moment. I could craft something better, I have about 9000 Dust, but I'm waiting for rotation.

And recognizing what type of deck I'm up against is still pretty tough. I had never played against a Mechuthun deck before and that one took me by complete surprise even though I have seen that deck played during HCTs.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wiibomb Oh, yes. I realize Odd Rogue has fallen off. But that's the deck I'm stuck with at the moment.

And recognizing what type of deck I'm up against is still pretty tough. I had never played against a Mechuthun deck before and that one took me by complete surprise even though I have seen that deck played during HCTs.

whenever you see the opponent playing cards that makes them draw more cards the it's a pretty good chance is mechathun, for example Acolyte of Pain, that's a key card they use. Right now there are about 2 good mechatun decks that you might find, Druid and Warlock, so watch out on those classes.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest bummers to me of the last few years of Hearthstone is the de facto removal of the fatigue penalty. Too many strategies involve drawing your whole deck and then winning once you've assembled your combo. A lot of that nonsense will be leaving at rotation, but I'm expecting it to be replaced with more nonsense. And, unfortunately, that's probably necessary given how powerful odd warrior might be after rotation.

I personally really enjoy drawn out control matchups, because I don't care too much about moving up the ladder. I beat an Academic Espionage rogue last night with Odd Quest Warrior and I promise you I had to do at least 100 damage to kill him/her, and the rogue drew something like 45 cards in the process. It was insane and I loved it. But I get why lots of other people hate having to deal with those matchups.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest bummers to me of the last few years of Hearthstone is the de facto removal of the fatigue penalty. Too many strategies involve drawing your whole deck and then winning once you've assembled your combo. A lot of that nonsense will be leaving at rotation, but I'm expecting it to be replaced with more nonsense. And, unfortunately, that's probably necessary given how powerful odd warrior might be after rotation.

I personally really enjoy drawn out control matchups, because I don't care too much about moving up the ladder. I beat an Academic Espionage rogue last night with Odd Quest Warrior and I promise you I had to do at least 100 damage to kill him/her, and the rogue drew something like 45 cards in the process. It was insane and I loved it. But I get why lots of other people hate having to deal with those matchups.

zihi solves that in a very interesting way..

fatigue turns right away against the player the moment they don't have the mana to pull their combos off.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
As usual, haven't been playing much. How's the game now after the nerfs? I'm really hopeful that the rotation is going to be good enough to get the game back to an enjoyable state for me.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
whenever you see the opponent playing cards that makes them draw more cards the it's a pretty good chance is mechathun, for example Acolyte of Pain, that's a key card they use. Right now there are about 2 good mechatun decks that you might find, Druid and Warlock, so watch out on those classes.
It was pretty funny as he began to get further into fatigue I thought yup gonna win then Mecha! lol

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, haven't been playing much. How's the game now after the nerfs? I'm really hopeful that the rotation is going to be good enough to get the game back to an enjoyable state for me.
Odd Rogue has gone missing. Shaman is gone since it only had one deck. Warlock is seeing more play since odd rogue isn't being played. It doesn't feel all that different yet. Lots of Hunter and lots of Priest. I've still been experimenting with Even Hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.