• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Odd Rogue has gone missing. Shaman is gone since it only had one deck. Warlock is seeing more play since odd rogue isn't being played. It doesn't feel all that different yet. Lots of Hunter and lots of Priest. I've still been experimenting with Even Hunter.

Shame about Shaman but it's not unexpected. On the bright side at least they seem to be changing stuff more often. Now here's hoping the power level of the next few expansions stays relatively low so I can start to enjoy this game again.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
can't believe I just got mechathuned by a priest as a odd paladin..

I know I'm not good this meta, but goodness, this is denigrating.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Rank 8 is a pipe dream for me. Hopefully within the next year, as expansions drop and get rotated, I can begin a push to Legend.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I got Legend once and rank 5 or lower (higher?) a fair bit, but even after they stopped resetting you back fully, it was still too much grind for me to enjoy much of constructed for too long, especially in metas I didn't like as much or wasn't willing to play the better decks for whatever reason.

Even the rank 20 cardbacks haven't been enough to keep me playing on a monthly basis -- monthly seasonal resets are quite a quick turnaround unless you're playing a lot. The cost to keep up in constructed has only trended a bit higher over time too, even with rotations now.

And Hearthstone's Arena isn't a good enough format to continue playing that over Draft or Limited in MTGA which I find to be much more satisfying.

The solo adventures/puzzles/etc. are cool, but not a long-term value add.

It's hard to imagine how it must be for newer players if I'm feeling a bit priced out as someone who has/had quite a large collection and started playing in closed beta at some point. I honestly wouldn't recommend Hearthstone to anyone jumping in new at this point unless they were prepared to drop a lot of time or cash on the game.

That's not even covering any other QoL fixes or other client improvements, etc. that don't seem to be coming anytime soon, if ever now.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I got Legend once and rank 5 or lower (higher?) a fair bit, but even after they stopped resetting you back fully, it was still too much grind for me to enjoy much of constructed for too long, especially in metas I didn't like as much or wasn't willing to play the better decks for whatever reason.

Even the rank 20 cardbacks haven't been enough to keep me playing on a monthly basis -- monthly seasonal resets are quite a quick turnaround unless you're playing a lot. The cost to keep up in constructed has only trended a bit higher over time too, even with rotations now.

And Hearthstone's Arena isn't a good enough format to continue playing that over Draft or Limited in MTGA which I find to be much more satisfying.

The solo adventures/puzzles/etc. are cool, but not a long-term value add.

It's hard to imagine how it must be for newer players if I'm feeling a bit priced out as someone who has/had quite a large collection and started playing in closed beta at some point. I honestly wouldn't recommend Hearthstone to anyone jumping in new at this point unless they were prepared to drop a lot of time or cash on the game.

That's not even covering any other QoL fixes or other client improvements, etc. that don't seem to be coming anytime soon, if ever now.

The card base you have built from playing as long as you have is not enough to stay current with the meta? I'm honestly not trying to sound sarcastic, but if a longtime player is feeling this, I may be in for a surprise...

I started playing a bit before Witchwood and was going to "reset" with Rasta. Hm...

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is that supposed to be a good matchup as odd paladin?

I actually win that matchup a fair amount when I'm playing Mecha'thun Priest.

I guess it depends on the hand the priest has, but i think it is favorable for any aggro deck, well, when played well.

I want to think that it was just a priest with a very good hand, but i know of some mistakes i made on that matchup, so yeah, my bad.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
The card base you have built from playing as long as you have is not enough to stay current with the meta? I'm honestly not trying to sound sarcastic, but if a longtime player is feeling this, I may be in for a surprise...

I started playing a bit before Witchwood and was going to "reset" with Rasta. Hm...

Well I haven't really played much the last 2 or 3 expacs at least. If I wanted to catch up now to make competitive decks (ignoring the looming rotation) I'd have to drop probably $60-$100 at least and/or grind a bunch of dailies (arena if I felt confident enough) over time. And still maybe have to dust wild cards. And I rarely keep golden cards at all — I don't really care and usually just use them for the dust. Biggest exception being something like a golden legendary I opened and only have one of, especially a playable one.

The game just isn't that enjoyable enough for me anymore to put in that kind of time or money.

The biggest squeeze is really often the epics, more than the legendaries. Epics are often much more make or break across a range of decks compared to legendaries. Rares and commons are a non-factor.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Well I haven't really played much the last 2 or 3 expacs at least. If I wanted to catch up now to make competitive decks (ignoring the looming rotation) I'd have to drop probably $60-$100 at least and/or grind a bunch of dailies (arena if I felt confident enough) over time. And still maybe have to dust wild cards. And I rarely keep golden cards at all — I don't really care and usually just use them for the dust. Biggest exception being something like a golden legendary I opened and only have one of, especially a playable one.

The game just isn't that enjoyable enough for me anymore to put in that kind of time or money.

The biggest squeeze is really often the epics, more than the legendaries. Epics are often much more make or break across a range of decks compared to legendaries. Rares and commons are a non-factor.

I keep ALL golden legendaries. But I think you are correct about the epics--they seem much more valuable. Is Arena worth golding for? I am always leery of that mode.

I cannot get out of Rank 17.

Oct 25, 2017

A big part of it is how much you are willing to play. I've been playing since right before Blackrock Mountain and I have a pretty good collection and haven't really spent much. I was quasi f2p for a long time, only spending money on the adventure sets since I knew what I was getting. As far as packs go, I know I've spent less than 50 bucks...and almost all of that was on some sort of bundle they were advertising.
I guess it depends on the hand the priest has, but i think it is favorable for any aggro deck, well, when played well.

I want to think that it was just a priest with a very good hand, but i know of some mistakes i made on that matchup, so yeah, my bad.

I think Mecha'thun Priest is pretty good against almost anything and I'm surprised it's not more popular. However I see a lot of misplays whenever I go against it, especially the quest variant.

Also, if you're struggling in ranked, just wait a week and go back. It's always easier after the first 10 or so days of the month. At least that's how it always feels to me.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Tachya Wiibomb I burned most of my cards to craft Druid meta, then burned those for Odd Rogue. I'm basically starting from scratch. Was thinking of going all in for the next expansion as so many sets are rotating out.

I don't get much time to play, but I want to have many viable decks so I tend to spend $$.

Every expansion I get the preorder and 2-3 of the 60 pack bundles. That gets me pretty much all the legendaries of the expansion (after crafting what I'm missing). I'm usually left with tons of leftover dust.

EDIT: I think I could get all of the legendaries by doing daily quests + preorder and 2x 60 pack bundles now that I think about it.

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys know about golden Moorabi tho? Only legendary I've ever dusted.

Also, does everyone remember their first golden legendary? Mine was Antonidas

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mine was Deathwing, Dragonlord.

Never saw competitive play but I love it a lot, was specially sweet when we got to do the 3 card tavern brawl.

On classic i have only got 1, Lorewalker Cho, yeah... sucks, still have it because no way I want to open another one.

Last edited:

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what my first golden legendary was because I'm pretty sure I dusted it as it wasn't that good (at the time at least).

One I have now that I kept is Dragoncaller Alanna and she's pretty value for being golden since you get the golden dragon tokens too when played.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
That's a really awesome one to get, especially as a first. Definitely don't remember whatever I got, but I can only assume it got dusted with the quickness.

Kinda funny story: So my buddy and I were in a bar and their wifi password was leeroyjenkins. We were both laughing about it and I said it's such a good card... he paused for a moment and said that's not where the name comes from and showed me the video of Leeroy charging in. I have never played Wow, but I don't think I've laughed so hard in my life.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
What will the ActiBlizz layoffs mean for Hearthstone (if anything)?
I don't foresee any short term change. Hearthstone only makes money by selling packs, so they have to keep producing content to be purchased. But interference from Activision could impact the quality of that content in a bad way over the long term.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I don't foresee any short term change. Hearthstone only makes money by selling packs, so they have to keep producing content to be purchased. But interference from Activision could impact the quality of that content in a bad way over the long term.
Well, they have been merged since 2007, so I feel like they would have already done that (maybe they have?). I was just wondering if anyone from Team 5 was getting laid off... Did Brode see this coming and left before it happened? He would have had to have been mighty prescient, however.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they have been merged since 2007, so I feel like they would have already done that (maybe they have?). I was just wondering if anyone from Team 5 was getting laid off... Did Brode see this coming and left before it happened? He would have had to have been mighty prescient, however.

Brode probably did, but that's probably not the main reason he and others left. They had all worked on Hearthstone for a long time and I think they wanted to do something different.

Activision has been mostly hands off with Blizzard since the merger. But there have been stories over the last year that Activision has been pressuring Blizzard to cut costs now.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Activision has been mostly hands off with Blizzard since the merger. But there have been stories over the last year that Activision has been pressuring Blizzard to cut costs now.
Heroes of the Storm, right. I read somewhere a while ago that HS makes 40 million a month , so it's probably not going anywhere/getting fucked with. Overwatch seems to be dying though. But should get another bump with Season 2.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Replacing story expansions with full ones and increasing the legendaries per class per expansion to two was a pure greed move to cash in on the success and hugely increase the cost per year to keep up, but that might not be Activision's fault.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Replacing story expansions with full ones and increasing the legendaries per class per expansion to two was a pure greed move to cash in on the success and hugely increase the cost per year to keep up, but that might not be Activision's fault.

that was always the correct move even if it makes the game more expensive, there were several problems with adventures as they were, one of them being only a handful of cards that would potentially dominate the meta and make the game far more boring because of the few cards released.

I would bet Activision never had anything to do on that end, their reasoning is pretty clear on that.

Also, If anything Acti would put more money on HS precisely because HS is the main golden cow of Blizzard right now, they generate a hell lot of revenue with little investment. Now, because of the tight situation of the parent company we still most likely won't see any expansion to the Blizzard teams, which to me screams that HS will remain the same game we know for a whole year at least, no wacky ideas and probably no new game modes.

Oct 25, 2017
I got golden Alex first :D

My first regular legend was Ragnaros

I've had pretty good luck with golden legends

Stargazer Luna
Prophet Velen
Lord Jaraxxus
The Darkness =/
Captain Greenskin
Alex

Oct 25, 2017
I played Psychic Scream after a fully upgraded Hunter spell stone. My opponent played spell stone again and I Psychic Scream again. I played 3 Mind Blasts and then he played Zuljin. I played Zuljin the next turn. Lolololololololol.

If that shit happened to me I would've quit the fucking game for the day. Probably the rest of the week.

Oct 25, 2017

That's bullshit though. It's not a pure greed move. People like myself wanted more class legendary cards and it's not like they just doubled the amount of legendary cards in each set, they also printed less neutral ones.

TGT had 20 legendary cards, witchwood had 23. WOTG had 21.

As for "story" expansions (really, story?), I hated those. I hated how few cards there were and how the cards all had to be quite good to make even a small splash to the point you could see them being OP. I hated the release schedule they used. I much prefer 3 expansions a year.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the story/adventures because it helped me manage my gold better. I would always spend everything in between an expansion and an adventure and then save everything in between adventure and expansion. Now I get indecisive on when I should start saving gold for the next expansion. I used to have 7k - 8k gold for expansions. Now I usually have 4k - 5k lol.

LoveBug566

Oct 27, 2017
Currently, rank 13 and playing Odd Mage and I'm getting destroyed by Odd Paladin. Has anyone got any advice on how to deal with this match-up? Cinderstorm and Arcane Missiles will only go so far.....

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm quite sure that I have reached my ceiling at Rank 16/17 in the current meta. I only have Rogue cards (and not all the good ones), and I'm not crafting anything from Kobolds down. I'll just wait it out, build my library back, and hope to make the push to Rank 10 after the rotation.

The meta changes are going to be CRAZY post-rotation. So much is cycling out...

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm reading an academic article on Hearthstone and when discussing win conditions it states, "in some rare cases the game ends up as a draw." What conditions are these?

Oct 26, 2017
Re: cost to keep up, I'm not doing too bad. I have over 16k dust sitting on my account, and around 2k gold. I play once or twice a week, have been playing fairly consistently since late closed beta, and buy ~2/3 of the $50USD preorder bundles though. It's a lot for a game, but for a card game, it's cheap. I know I spent a LOT more ON Magic when I played it, and I wasn't able to play it nearly as often.

I do worry what the new player experience is like though. I'm not dense enough to think there aren't some pay to win "elements" at play. Like, after a certain point it's a wash, especially if you focus on a deck or two per expansion. But there's a point you have to reach with your collection to even be competitive.

But not before my golden Harbringer Celestia sees competitive play.

Someday a 4 mana mirror entity will see play, i know, i know...

*hides in a corner*

It's worse than that. It's a four-mana Mirror Entity played face up.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see harbringer celestia seeing play in a tournament setting... maybe. I dunno what it's good against, but if your opponent doesn't play something it is a 5/6 right?

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Re: cost to keep up, I'm not doing too bad. I have over 16k dust sitting on my account, and around 2k gold. I play once or twice a week, have been playing fairly consistently since late closed beta, and buy ~2/3 of the $50USD preorder bundles though. It's a lot for a game, but for a card game, it's cheap. I know I spent a LOT more ON Magic when I played it, and I wasn't able to play it nearly as often.

I do worry what the new player experience is like though. I'm not dense enough to think there aren't some pay to win "elements" at play. Like, after a certain point it's a wash, especially if you focus on a deck or two per expansion. But there's a point you have to reach with your collection to even be competitive.

It's worse than that. It's a four-mana Mirror Entity played face up.

It is pretty cheap for a card game, that is true, but I still couldn't really recommend it to a new player unless they were willing to drop money and/or suffer a lot of un-fun time. I really only played Hearthstone as a digital Magic replacement because Magic Online and the various other MtG games weren't anywhere near up to the standards I wanted. Magic is a much more mature game in terms of design and plans, so Arena as an actually playable version of the game by modern standards was a godsend and it's still technically in beta IIRC. I don't nearly have the time or money to attend regular paper MtG events, even if I still wanted to, after having played a handful when I was younger. Even then it was always pre-releases usually, not anything serious with constructed.

I love limited and draft more than constructed and Hearthstone has no limited equivalent, and Hearthstone's Arena is a pale shadow of standard drafts in Magic. There's no sign of any major arena changes/additions, or the addition of something like a limited game mode anytime soon, if ever, for Hearthstone now, so yeah...

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Is that about how much is needed to get the decent cards?

16k dust is about enough for 1.5 to 2 of the most expensive control meta decks at any given point (more if you're playing cheaper things, usually aggro). 2k gold is 20 packs which is a fair amount, but maybe better served as a resource for spending on arenas than direct packs. If you're even halfway decent it'll be more efficient/last longer than directly buying packs of the current set, and if you're good enough you can go infinite or near infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.