• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
Zentimo into triple Earth Shock, triple Hex or triple Earthen might is my new jam (specially when the frog spirits give you all 3 in a turn!)

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
LTTP.

Had zero gold saved up for this expansion unfortunately and don't really want to drop cash on it.

They did give me Krag'Wa The Frog and Undatakah as freebies.

Gonna be rough but I'll tough it out with Arena runs for packs over time.

I do have around 6K dust and a bunch of dustable legendaries from Boomsday though.

Are there any relatively cheap decks I can make to ladder with?

Preferably Hunter/Warlock/Warrior since I can still get golden portraits with them.

EDIT: Either the Spell / Deathrattle / Secret Hunter seems the cheapest to make and viable. Only really need Zuljin and one or two epics. Which one would you guys recommend? Leaning towards secret atm.

Last edited:

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
undatakah is an amazing neutral pull, nice man. I got over 100 packs between gold and the $20 pack and most of my legendaries were trash. spell secret hunter is really fun, you can play it in wild too if you happen to still have barnes/y'saarj. it's gotta be up their with the cheapest decks, zuljin is really nice, but you should note it's gonna lose TONS in standard in 4 months if that matters to you. pirate rogue is really budget as well. discard warlock has buzz to it atm but idk how cheap it is

Oct 25, 2017

VoxPop

Oct 30, 2017
undatakah is an amazing neutral pull, nice man. I got over 100 packs between gold and the $20 pack and most of my legendaries were trash. spell secret hunter is really fun, you can play it in wild too if you happen to still have barnes/y'saarj. it's gotta be up their with the cheapest decks, zuljin is really nice, but you should note it's gonna lose TONS in standard in 4 months if that matters to you. pirate rogue is really budget as well. discard warlock has buzz to it atm but idk how cheap it is

Thanks! That's good to hear. I ended up making secret hunter and yeah it's really fun. Just set it as my Brawlesium deck. Zuljin is insane haha. Seems like Hunter is really strong in this early meta. I'll probably roll with this deck until I get my golden portrait then switch to a Warrior or Warlock deck. I'm at 439/500 right now. Thanks again for the input!

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is actually good with that deck besides dog.
I wanted to give it a shot until I realized it seems like the most convoluted deck possible

I thought you liked control metas or some shit.

I do okay, I think if I didn't screw up my combo turns ever I'd have a 70% winrate, but as it is im at 65%, I've got a whiteboard next to my computer and in the corner I keep track of my games right now it says "It has been [6] games since a fuck up"

For one, it farms the hell out of all these silly odd mages.

Last edited:

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Since Destiny's Black Armory DLC is unplayable for me atm (lowly 540 light level pleb), I'm thankful that Hearthstone is here to save the day.

Seems like folks here are digging Kingsbane Rogue, are y'all having more fun/success with the aggro pirate heavy version, the Valeera (spell-focused) version, or something else entirely? Love seeing all the different variations of pirate on ladder, especially surprised by the appearance of Walk the Plank today.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Since Destiny's Black Armory DLC is unplayable for me atm (lowly 540 light level pleb), I'm thankful that Hearthstone is here to save the day.

Seems like folks here are digging Kingsbane Rogue, are y'all having more fun/success with the aggro pirate heavy version, the Valeera (spell-focused) version, or something else entirely? Love seeing all the different variations of pirate on ladder, especially surprised by the appearance of Walk the Plank today.

I'm playing my own pirate-heavy jank because I don't have Valeera. It suffers from the lack of quality pirates in Standard and I suspect an optimized list would run fewer pirates than you'd need to get consistent value out of Raiding Party (and Captain Hooktusk - I indulge myself). Activating Sharkfin Fan also gets awkward when you'd rather preserve Kingsbane swings because you don't have a weapon re-draw in hand yet. But I'm having fun unless I run into a string of No-Fun-Allow-Odd Paladins, tho I'll soon be at a point where I'm ready to look up netdeck versions to see how they've better solved the tension between wanting to explode on the board and slow, steady late-game value than I have.

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Having a lot of fun with Quest Paladin and Dragon Warrior. Whenever I play Deathstalker Zul'jin Hunter it feels like a free win if I make it to 10 mana, which is likely with hunter's toolset. Never thought I'd get use out of Crushing Walls so often.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
for the record, Shudderwock is still annoying as fuck to lose to.

i cant believe the animation used to be longer...

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Went 10-3 with my Keleseth Priest Arena deck. Had some hilarious games, including a hunter that conceded turn 3 after I Keleseth'd and played a minion.

Icgy1Dk.jpg

Warriors are still insane in Arena. I lost twice to them, EVEN WITH TURN 2 KELESETH both times. The amount of removal and value they have is insane. With weapons and Warpath along with Omega Assembly's and the new dragon generation card, you'll easily die in fatigue or get outvalued.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
7-1 so far in the brawl with odd mage, better hop on the train while I can. Been playing against nothing but hunters though

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The hero cards they released this year are much better designed than deathknights, I'm optimistic about the future hero cards. They are very exciting cards and obviously community likes them but they shouldn't be this oppressive.

Over this past year, there was no point to play a hunter, druid, priest or warlock deck that didn't run deathknights. Even zoo was running it for a while before heal package. And right now, any mage needs Jaina. These cards are just so absurd that doesn't really matter if you play control or aggro or combo, you just play them, because one card probably win the game. Rexxar for one is absurd, it throws away the concept of resource management. I play the most degenerate aggro deck, you used your cards to deal with it? ok now I have endless threats. That's not good design. Rexxar is an interesting card it shouldn't be playable in every type hunter but it is.

Now Zul'jin, Dr. Boom or Hagatha are very strong cards too but they are not oppressive and they don't have infinite value, you still need resource to generate cards with Hagatha. It feels so much better to play against than Rexxar and they really don't go into every archetype. If they keep making hero cards like these and not like KFT, game should be feeling a lot better.

Still even with KFT, not all of them were badly designed like this. Uther and Valeera are very fair cards for 9 mana, unlike Jaina. Anduin is also fine when he doesn't a zero cost hero power.

Rexxar is just so oppressive right now, hunter is very popular like whenever hunter is good and every game feels like its against Rexxar because they always get it with tracking. At least mage really can't get to Jaina as consistently.

Last edited:

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine how much more fresh and exciting the meta would feel if DKs rotated out with this expansion (or, better yet, the last one), rather than waiting four more months?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine how much more fresh and exciting the meta would feel if DKs rotated out with this expansion (or, better yet, the last one), rather than waiting four more months?

If an expansion rotated out with every new one, we would actually have to wait another 8 months to be rid of it.

Still the better way to go.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really find zul'jin or hagatha deep. Zul'jin is probably pushed a bit too much. Replay all your spells is insane as predicted. Think about that for a sec. Your 1 card has the strength of in theory 29+ cards. Now realistically it has the strength of like 10 cards. But that is still quite insane.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really find zul'jin or hagatha deep. Zul'jin is probably pushed a bit too much. Replay all your spells is insane as predicted. Think about that for a sec. Your 1 card has the strength of in theory 29+ cards. Now realistically it has the strength of like 10 cards. But that is still quite insane.

it's usually a consistent yogg and that is very poweful, probably overkill as I've tried in the whizbang deck (I still have to open my packs).

something that can turn the game if the opponent doesn't have something to deal with it (like a hard board clear)

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
If an expansion rotated out with every new one, we would actually have to wait another 8 months to be rid of it.

Still the better way to go.
What I want is for expansions to stay in for precisely one year each. So Ungoro would have been out when Witchwood entered, and KFT would have been out when Boomsday entered. Kobolds would have left two days ago. In practice, I think one year is plenty of time to enjoy cards, and it guarantees an actual new meta every release. I can see how people who spend lots of real money on the game see it differently, though. I could also see leaving each set in for 1.25 years. But the current set up of having some cards in the meta for two years is holding the game back.

Oct 25, 2017
Having sets stay for only a year would be pretty bad. They should actually have each set stay for 2 years. This actually has an effect of reducing the cost associated with standard because you're actually lengthening the average time a set stays. So I am okay with them rotating 1 in and 1 out every expansion because of that. Also can toss up the meta more often, which is always welcome.

Oct 25, 2017
Things like Jaina and Rexxar have destroyed control.

I don't think that is the case necessarily. I can beat jaina with control paladin, for instance, because I can remove their water eles and often prevent them from spawning anymore and then win in fatigue. Vs hunter with kingsbane rogue I can beat both.

And some jaina decks are control themselves. That's a bit like saying control warrior has destroyed control.

Oct 25, 2017
The hero cards they released this year are much better designed than deathknights, I'm optimistic about the future hero cards. They are very exciting cards and obviously community likes them but they shouldn't be this oppressive.

Over this past year, there was no point to play a hunter, druid, priest or warlock deck that didn't run deathknights. Even zoo was running it for a while before heal package. And right now, any mage needs Jaina. These cards are just so absurd that doesn't really matter if you play control or aggro or combo, you just play them, because one card probably win the game. Rexxar for one is absurd, it throws away the concept of resource management. I play the most degenerate aggro deck, you used your cards to deal with it? ok now I have endless threats. That's not good design. Rexxar is an interesting card it shouldn't be playable in every type hunter but it is.

Now Zul'jin, Dr. Boom or Hagatha are very strong cards too but they are not oppressive and they don't have infinite value, you still need resource to generate cards with Hagatha. It feels so much better to play against than Rexxar and they really don't go into every archetype. If they keep making hero cards like these and not like KFT, game should be feeling a lot better.

Still even with KFT, not all of them were badly designed like this. Uther and Valeera are very fair cards for 9 mana, unlike Jaina. Anduin is also fine when he doesn't a zero cost hero power.

Rexxar is just so oppressive right now, hunter is very popular like whenever hunter is good and every game feels like its against Rexxar because they always get it with tracking. At least mage really can't get to Jaina as consistently.
I don't think any of the DKs are that bad, it was other cards that released later and rotation that really pushed them over the edge.

Rexxar and Jaina didn't become this oppressive until after rotation and witchwood nerfs. Everyone wanted to play Rexxar before that because the hero power is cool, but Hunter wasn't good enough and lost to decks that were more prevalent at the time. Guldan wasn't really played until Kobolds released.

It's like you said about Anduin... he's fine when he's not paired with pre nerf Raza. I think the same goes for the other DKs. But combined with rotation/nerfs and other cards that released after Frozen Throne, they got a little out of hand. Imagine if DK Thrall was around during Shamanstone. He would've been fucking nuts.

DK Malfurion has been good from the start though.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
hmmm..... predatory instincts + stamping roar + changed devilsaur + void ripper = an nice 14 dmg finisher

fake edit: 24 dmg if kick back the devilsaur with baleful banker and it keeps the stats and pull it again with predatory instincts.

more fake edits:
Hearthstone_Screenshot_12-06-18_19.03.46.png

i might add faceless thanks to this guy.

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like somethings might be wrong when Turn 4 Catclysm to discard 6 cards seems to be a good play.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of the DKs are that bad, it was other cards that released later and rotation that really pushed them over the edge.

Rexxar and Jaina didn't become this oppressive until after rotation and witchwood nerfs. Everyone wanted to play Rexxar before that because the hero power is cool, but Hunter wasn't good enough and lost to decks that were more prevalent at the time. Guldan wasn't really played until Kobolds released.

It's like you said about Anduin... he's fine when he's not paired with pre nerf Raza. I think the same goes for the other DKs. But combined with rotation/nerfs and other cards that released after Frozen Throne, they got a little out of hand. Imagine if DK Thrall was around during Shamanstone. He would've been fucking nuts.

DK Malfurion has been good from the start though.

I looked back through vicious syndicate and Guldan has been played in pretty much every non zoo warlock deck since release. It just wasn't a great deck until kobolds.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Heres my standard kingsbane it's real fun, even with blade flurry's paladin is a joke but blade flurry works really well against the hunters

### QUIKINGSBANE
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (0) Backstab
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Doomerang
# 1x (1) Kingsbane
# 2x (2) Cavern Shinyfinder
# 1x (2) Eviscerate
# 2x (2) Lab Recruiter
# 1x (2) Leeching Poison
# 2x (2) Toxicologist
# 1x (3) Banana Buffoon
# 2x (3) Cutthroat Buccaneer
# 2x (3) Raiding Party
# 2x (4) Blade Flurry
# 2x (4) Dread Corsair
# 1x (5) Captain Greenskin
# 1x (5) Myra's Unstable Element
# 2x (6) Gadgetzan Auctioneer
#
AAECAaIHBsgDiAepzQK77wLn+gLSiQMMtAHLA+4GpAeoCIYJsc4C5dECovcC4PoCyfsC1YwDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think rotation is going to be so good. Hopefully they don't screw it up and print a lot of infinite value deck definers in the next set.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
rotation meta is usually so boring with only 4 expansions available, at least now the power levels are super high so games are blowouts, after rotation there'll be hardly any viable decks , hunter in particular is going to be incredibly boring again without rexxar

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rotation meta is usually so boring with only 4 expansions available, at least now the power levels are super high so games are blowouts, after rotation there'll be hardly any viable decks , hunter in particular is going to be incredibly boring again without rexxar

You're on your own with that opinion. The game has been at its absolute best at the two rotations. Except for quest rogue. Stupid stupid quest rogue.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
What I want is for expansions to stay in for precisely one year each. So Ungoro would have been out when Witchwood entered, and KFT would have been out when Boomsday entered. Kobolds would have left two days ago. In practice, I think one year is plenty of time to enjoy cards, and it guarantees an actual new meta every release. I can see how people who spend lots of real money on the game see it differently, though. I could also see leaving each set in for 1.25 years. But the current set up of having some cards in the meta for two years is holding the game back.

not a terrible idea at 2 years. Otherwise you're either requiring a shit ton of cards to be printed or asking players to play with vastly reduced card selection. One seems unrealistic and the other seems unhealthy for the game.

I'd hate to live in a world where there are only ever 3 expansions in play for standard.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like if they kept the brawliseum and rotated the legal sets. But too many people don't keep wild cards and so this probably wouldn't make sense.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
not a terrible idea at 2 years. Otherwise you're either requiring a shit ton of cards to be printed or asking players to play with vastly reduced card selection. One seems unrealistic and the other seems unhealthy for the game.

I'd hate to live in a world where there are only ever 3 expansions in play for standard.

What about 4? I just don't think the game really succeeds when you have 5 or 6 expansions in it at some points. Look at how many Ungoro cards have been mainstays for almost 2 years now.

I'd like if they kept the brawliseum and rotated the legal sets. But too many people don't keep wild cards and so this probably wouldn't make sense.

That would be great.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I wish wild was two random years of sets (except for the current year) and rotated every 4 months. That way the meta would be rotating but return every once in a while. Might keep wild fresh and give me a fighting chance since my collection starts at Ungoro. At some point there'd be a wild rotation that I would have a competitive collection for.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
discardlock is still bad, I can't believe it, they have so many strong cards but it still suck. I'm convinced the quest is never worth it but what you do without it? How you win? playing endless 4 mana 3/4s isn't going to win against most of the field right now. Maybe next year.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
discardlock is still bad, I can't believe it, they have so many strong cards but it still suck. I'm convinced the quest is never worth it but what you do without it? How you win? playing endless 4 mana 3/4s isn't going to win against most of the field right now. Maybe next year.

Yeah, I think Healadin is probably at that same spot as well. For discard, they'll probably need just a little more support in the next expansion--maybe something to replace Zavas and one or two other small things. For Healadin, you're gonna need Odd / Even Paladin to get weaker--which they will, sort of--before people consider it. It'll be "interesting" to see if Baku / Genn get dethroned in April. Sure, they'll lose tools, but everyone else will too. At the end of the day, their improved hero powers may offer too much (at least in classes like Paladin, Rogue, and Warlock) for players to make the switch.

I feel like I'm going to concentrate mostly on Shaman and Mage this set. The Shaman decks I like are probably tier three or four. Odd Mage may be tier two. Elemental Mage maybe tier three, but I also have all the hunter cards I need (except maybe Mojomaster if Hunter starts using her) to do a tier one hunter deck. TBH, I love Rexxar, but I'm ready for him to move on--same with all of the other Death Knights.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting as much use out of Deathstalker Rexxar and Frost Lich Jaina as I can before they rotate. I spent a lot of dust on them. Luckily I got all the pieces for Odd Mage and have all the Hunter cards. I'm really tired of Odd Pally, I'd love to stop playing it but it still seems good...

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm tired of Hunters. All I see are Hunters and Warlocks. Once in while I'll see a Mage and the other classes might as well not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.