• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually climbing with my variant of the Quest Mech Hunter deck. I think I'm a solid above 50% winrate with it now. I might relent and push for dad-legend with Murloc Pally or Highlander Hunter soon.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I think decks that rely on a single win condition are a weakness that is difficult to thrive in certain metas. Your deck looks like it's all in on one combo and that could be a mistake. OTOH you may be able to fatigue the warlock if they're drawing more often then you are. Some match ups are simply difficult to see all the avenues to win and take time to learn. I've played a lot of control paladin vs warlock, and I know it's a hard match up but even then was typically winnable.

I also think your deck could use a bit of work. There are just so many cards in wild that have to be better than novice engineer and clockwork gnome. I don't really know, but that is the impression I got. Maybe move a bit more towards a controlling archetype rather than trying to hit the combo super quick every game. But definitely don't worry about the games where they get super lucky on a gnomerferatu hit. Or you could diversify your win condition.

I don't know personally that much about wild, but I asked is comphs and they said a lot does, but especially secret mage.
This deck came about because Salhet's pride made me realize how damn good Paladin draw is if you build for it. Control Paladin is useless in any mode at actually controlling the board, but being good at cycling like crazy might reliably get you to the few good cards fast enough that it all works out.

So, I need enough cards that get hit by Salhet's Pride, Crystology, Call to Arms, and Small Time Recruits. Novice engineer and clockwork gnome both get hit by 3 of them.

I suppose I'll keep testing to see if renolock combo disrupters are really that bad. I think gnomefaratu is a problem unique to this deck, because it focuses on drawing all your non-combo pieces until there is nothing left but combo pieces to draw.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This deck came about because Salhet's pride made me realize how damn good Paladin draw is if you build for it. Control Paladin is useless in any mode at actually controlling the board, but being good at cycling like crazy might reliably get you to the few good cards fast enough that it all works out.

So, I need enough cards that get hit by Salhet's Pride, Crystology, Call to Arms, and Small Time Recruits. Novice engineer and clockwork gnome both get hit by 3 of them.

I don't think Salhet's pride is worth building around. I don't think small time recruits is good either. I may have missed call to arms in your list though, which I think is good but you don't want to be getting novice engineer or clockwork gnome off that. Crystology and perhaps call to arms are worth running imo. Dragon's solemn is a little questionable with equality nerf, but honestly probably still pretty good. Can probably cut potion of heroism as well.

I'm also a little unsure about acolyte. Timeout may be a meta call, even though it's certainly a strong card in general.

Is where I am at so far.

I think a high amount of cycle/draw is great in certain combo decks, like where you need to empty your deck like the shrivallah combo or mechathun. But in this deck your combo is expensive and takes like 3 turns to set up, after drawing your pieces that you cannot fish for. You need to prepare for a longer game imo, with better board control. That's why I think you need stronger board control cards like aldor, truesilver champion, and keeper of uldaman.

For the last 2 cards I am thinking maybe call to arms, maybe a taunt like sludge belcher... and maybe burgly bully is a great include as an alternative to ET (alongside, not replacing). That card worked really well for slowing the game down in combo paladin in the past and the best part is you don't actually need it to win.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I don't think Salhet's pride is worth building around. I don't think small time recruits is good either. I may have missed call to arms in your list though, which I think is good but you don't want to be getting novice engineer or clockwork gnome off that. Crystology and perhaps call to arms are worth running imo. Dragon's solemn is a little questionable with equality nerf, but honestly probably still pretty good. Can probably cut potion of heroism as well.

I'm also a little unsure about acolyte. Timeout may be a meta call, even though it's certainly a strong card in general.

Is where I am at so far.

I think a high amount of cycle/draw is great in certain combo decks, like where you need to empty your deck like the shrivallah combo or mechathun. But in this deck your combo is expensive and takes like 3 turns to set up, after drawing your pieces that you cannot fish for. You need to prepare for a longer game imo, with better board control. That's why I think you need stronger board control cards like aldor, truesilver champion, and keeper of uldaman.

For the last 2 cards I am thinking maybe call to arms, maybe a taunt like sludge belcher... and maybe burgly bully is a great include as an alternative to ET (alongside, not replacing). That card worked really well for slowing the game down in combo paladin in the past and the best part is you don't actually need it to win.
The link doesn't seem to work, but I would like to see it.

This is where I left off at:

I'm already looking to replace umbra, maybe with an aldor.

So far I'm liking having Zephyrs/Reno with some duplicates that are very likely to be drawn quick. I'd rather change the OTK than the deck thinning concept, but maybe the deck thinning concept is too flawed overall.

I've done burgly bully a long time ago, maybe not a bad idea to bring it back.

Last edited:

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Quest Shaman is doing extremely well for me. I dont think it's the strongest deck but it's so damn flexible both in construction and game plan that I feel like I'm in almost every game(aside from Mage highroll shenanigans). Probably a little slow for a big time grind but I'm enjoying it regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
The link doesn't seem to work, but I would like to see it.

This is where I left off at:

I'm already looking to replace umbra, maybe with an aldor.

So far I'm liking having Zephyrs/Reno with some duplicates that are very likely to be drawn quick. I'd rather change the OTK than the deck thinning concept, but maybe the deck thinning concept is too flawed overall.

I've done burgly bully a long time ago, maybe not a bad idea to bring it back.

Link worked for me this time.

edit: hmmm.... something about posting it here screws it up.

the link is https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com...668:1,14202:1,41878:1,12251:1,57861:1,73122:1 attempt 2.

I think the autoformating this screws with it. Second link did work.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know kibler is colorblind, makes me wonder if he ever had problems with HS, specially how much emphasis it has on colors...

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I didn't know kibler is colorblind, makes me wonder if he ever had problems with HS, specially how much emphasis it has on colors...
He can't see the yellow outline that shows if a cards condition has been met, which has led to some misplays.

I can't think of any other important color based indicators.

Link worked for me this time.

edit: hmmm.... something about posting it here screws it up.

the link is https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com...668:1,14202:1,41878:1,12251:1,57861:1,73122:1 attempt 2.

I think the autoformating this screws with it. Second link did work.

Thanks. I'll definitely try it next time I login.

Last edited:

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
He f
He generally only struggles in card reveals and with weapons because the weapons are not clear at all - even if you're not colourblind.

I'm really enjoying the new cads, thief quest rogue is huge amounts of fun, but removing Vanish basically killed them for this entire meta :(

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Thoughts on best value to craft moving forward?:

High priest Amet for Quest Priest or Antonidas for Highlander Mage.

I more or less have the remaining cards including Reno fir either deck.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's ok to share just a tiny bit of hsreplay premium and show the top 11 for 5-legend in the last 3 days. Quite different from where people think it is.

N6P3sTj.png

As for popularity, i'll just say Control Warrior, Combo Priest, Highlander Mage, Control Mage, and Secret Hunter make up 50% of the 5-legend meta.

And people will still bitch about control Warrior

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half the wins I get with the expired merchant/dinomancer deck is people who simply can't understand the interaction and repeatedly try to kill dinomancers.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Thoughts on best value to craft moving forward?:

High priest Amet for Quest Priest or Antonidas for Highlander Mage.

I more or less have the remaining cards including Reno fir either deck.

Classic Legendaries will always be the higher value just because (until Blizzard does a massive design shift) they'll always be legal in standard. Toni is legit one of the best OG legendaries, he's a must have if you play mage on a more than infrequent basis.

Even if Highlander mage eats a nerf in the coming weeks it's still looking like it'll be a competitive deck. If you'r not planning on opening tons of Basic packs, Antonidas is likely the better long-term value.

Quest priest is more iffy - the base design of over-running your opponent with big dudes isn't as strong as it looked to be. Amusingly enough according the latest Vicious Syndicate meta report there is a combo priest deck that's tearing up the high legend meta - so your value could vary depending on how much you enjoy priest and/or combo decks.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Antonidas loses a lot of value in Highlander mage if they hit Luna. It's a risky craft. He has had limited uses in the last few years outside of exodia decks. And one of his main purposes in the deck is for control warrior and they also might get hit.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Started playing aggro warrior and it's much more enjoyable than zoolock. Restless Mummy feels like it's going to get a nerf, it seems overtuned.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mostly been playing aggro decks since Uldum.

Murloc Pally: Probably the strongest if you get a good Prismatic Lens/Tip the Scales
Aggro Warrior: Feels the most consistent and versatile.
Zoolock: Vulture and Thrasher are good additions. I think Zoolock is in a good spot.
Token Druid: I've not been having a lot of luck with token. I have to play it more, but it feels like there are a ton of clears now and it's hard to get anything going.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying a lot quest paladin, if you can get it active by turn 5 you become unstoppable, i love it.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Classic Legendaries will always be the higher value just because (until Blizzard does a massive design shift) they'll always be legal in standard. Toni is legit one of the best OG legendaries, he's a must have if you play mage on a more than infrequent basis.

Even if Highlander mage eats a nerf in the coming weeks it's still looking like it'll be a competitive deck. If you'r not planning on opening tons of Basic packs, Antonidas is likely the better long-term value.

Quest priest is more iffy - the base design of over-running your opponent with big dudes isn't as strong as it looked to be. Amusingly enough according the latest Vicious Syndicate meta report there is a combo priest deck that's tearing up the high legend meta - so your value could vary depending on how much you enjoy priest and/or combo decks.

Thx. Helpful. I am still on the fence trying both decks out minus the legendary. Quest/Combo priest is pretty popular ATM, not that I am trying to necessarily replicate. Just considering long term value with where HS is going. Hate to see a mage nerf.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Got really lucky with my packs this time. Opened around 30-40 and got: Brann, Finley, Zephyrs, and Shaman & Rogue Quest.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Mogu Fishshaper is such a big upgrade to Evolve Shaman in standard mode. A turn 3 or 4 deal 3 damage summon a random 8 mana minion is pretty satisfying and it's only a two card combo with both being two ofs.

I just can't figure out quite where to take it from there. Maybe it's a type of deck that's ok to not have a defined finisher? Or maybe it's just a 4-6 card package you just throw into different shaman theme?

Anyhow, this is what I get going all the way in on the evolve theme:

I wish I had Krag'wa the Frog, cause that might be very good for that deck specifically.

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Been playing quest rogue. I don't think it's very good, but it can be fun. I remember prerelease, everyone was saying how OP a three damage immune weapon was. Now you hardly see anyone playing it. lol

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Wow, apparently Wild Odd Shaman is very good now thanks to Arcane Watcher. I went from rank 5 no stars to 3 with it.

Arcane Watcher is a 3 mana 5/6 whose activation is basically free with Odd Shaman. Mogu Fleshshaper also helps fill out the deck quite nicely. Neither of which actually finish off the game for you, but they make it so much easier to control the board as you build your own malygos to burst the hell out of them.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
I love that the Highlander decks are causing so much trouble for HSReplay.net. They can't seem to determine if a Hunter deck with 30 different cards that include a bunch of secrets, Brann and Zephrys is a Highlander or a Secret Hunter. Makes the meta really hard to read.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Looks like they're going to announce balance changes this week according to Mike Donais.

If they hit the decks everyone expects them to hit it could open up a ton of experimentation.

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard actually had the audacity to put out a bundle before even announcing card changes. I wonder how well that will go over for them. I also haven't seen a bundle so soon after an expansion like ever. One can only wonder how well Hearthstone is actually doing. People like me frequently feel disappointed and blow smoke but you would be lying if you said the general vibe wasn't different this time around. The streaming community, or what's left of it feels tired. The reddit was negative at the beginning of the expansion. And for the most part, all the same old problems are rearing their head in full force while Blizzard sits in silence again. I feel like they gave ROS great effort to keep things fresh but I'm not sure it's enough for most people anymore. The game needs a major refresh in everything from core set, ui, features, pricing, everything. I think Hearthstone is going to need to feel brand new again or it's going to slowly keep decaying, and I don't think there is any denying that the decay is real at this point.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I think SoU is great and I bought the bundle that came out today. Don't even care about the nerfs! Luna's and Boom are oppressive and dumb but I am still seeing a good variety of decks at rank 4ish and that's enough for me.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
bundles are planned way in advance, they don't have anything to do with a balance patch... which they already said they are planning to announce this week.

still uldum, imo, is a stellar expansion, never had so many deck I wanted to try before this, probably since the ungoro times.

that also makes me think quests are the real reason why meta feels so diverse, they really encourage to try new ways to play, love them.

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Having started playing after Ungoro I really love the quests even if they aren't as busted as Ungoro. It gives a clear direction for deck that lives outside the existing meta and a big enough reward to make playing them fun even if they aren't he most competitive. I even enjoyed Quest hunter for a while, I only stopped playing it so I can rush to the next rank floor and then go back to being silly.

This expansion does feel different. I'm not feeling the love with the game, despite thinking the expansion is fun. Not sure what it is. But, yeah a refresh would be nice. New core set and new client that runs better would be great. The game has been out for 5+ years, this is around the time that most games would receive a sequel, maybe an updated look would take the place of that kind of a change.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
On top of being perhaps the best deck in the game Combo Priest is a fun deck that's challenging to play correctly in most matchups.
In the mirror, however, it's a total gong show. There is literally nothing better than having stuff on board, the bigger the better.

Winning the game with the right cards early on is not unheard of. Pretty sure the concede is right here

Closest mirror I've had in a while.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Just a note that this week's Tavern Brawl may be the most degenerate one yet, and that's saying something.

Every minion is all tribes - so everything benefits from murloc buffs, pirate synergy, mech magnetize, etc. It's also Wild so you've got broken minions like Mech Warper and Ships Cannon.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having trouble making an optimized deck since everything literally works lol

right now I'm running a hyper responsive deck just because I'm never sure I can answer everything

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Dragonslayer is pretty useful BTW. I feel like it's better to try to answer opponents cards rather than play out everything. Dragonslayer, Golakka, and Hungry Crab seem like must includes to me. Mechwarper, Fire Elemental, and Ship's Cannon too are all really good.

Heavenraiser

Oct 27, 2017
Went full dragon priest and won easily against a silence priest. Just don´t make the same mistake and include dragonfire potion...

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
well my reactive deck is making work, I'm running golakkas, hungry crab, dragon slayer and sac pact, not sure if there are more rective things out there, but this has been working pretty fine

Status
Not open for further replies.