• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never beaten the stupid mech handbuff paladin. Not once. That deck is stupid. Everybody is complaining about sn1p sn4p warlock but that paladin deck is the pits.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
all ranks above 20, if you get to any of the rank floors (ranks 15, 10 and 5) you cannot drop below those floors
Crap.

This Highlander Hunter deck is disturbingly good. I haven't lost a game since I started playing it. Granted, I'm only playing a few matches a day, and a game that looked like a loss the opponent left, but I'm at Rank 17 now.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Crap.

This Highlander Hunter deck is disturbingly good. I haven't lost a game since I started playing it. Granted, I'm only playing a few matches a day, and a game that looked like a loss the opponent left, but I'm at Rank 17 now.
If you keep playing that deck, you will keep winning. It's a good deck right now at all levels of the game. The more you play, the more you learn about the decks you are facing, which will help you avoid misplays. Lots of people make the mistake of bouncing around between decks when they hit a losing streak. If you want to rank up, just stick with one deck. Even if you lose 3 games in a row with it.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
If you keep playing that deck, you will keep winning. It's a good deck right now at all levels of the game. The more you play, the more you learn about the decks you are facing, which will help you avoid misplays. Lots of people make the mistake of bouncing around between decks when they hit a losing streak. If you want to rank up, just stick with one deck. Even if you lose 3 games in a row with it.
Yup, that was a serious issue during my last run with Hearthstone. And I only play Hunter now, so that should not be a problem.

This is very anecdotal, but I have been playing quite a bit of paper Magic lately and it seems to have made me a better Hearthstone player.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that was a serious issue during my last run with Hearthstone. And I only play Hunter now, so that should not be a problem.

This is very anecdotal, but I have been playing quite a bit of paper Magic lately and it seems to have made me a better Hearthstone player.

Just remember.
Tempo Good.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I think I understand that tempo means one player is basically in the driver's seat for the match; but, could you break down the nuances a bit more?

making minions and having a good control of the board, making a 1 mana minion, then a 2, the a 3 and building perodically the board.

if the opponent has a bigger board and managed to deal with yours, then you lost the tempo (and probably the game), also if you only hit face and ignore the opponents board because eventually the opponent will catchup and deal with yours. Tempo in the highlander hunter is a delicate balance, you certainly need to build tempo, but also keep an eye on the face damage output because hunter likes to deal damage on the board.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I think I understand that tempo means one player is basically in the driver's seat for the match; but, could you break down the nuances a bit more?

It's something that's hard to write a definition for. generally what I mean is playing your big stuff onto the board is very good and i think better for you in Hearthstone than it is in MTG.
Specifically you're sometimes put into the situation where you have to choose between playing for tempo (develop or swing the board now) or for value (hold back resources until they can do more) and it's more often correct to play for tempo (depends on deck, matchup, and current game state).

if the opponent has a bigger board and managed to deal with yours, then you lost the tempo (and probably the game), also if you only hit face and ignore the opponents board because eventually the opponent will catchup and deal with yours
This CAN happen but the saying in hearthstone is 'bad players go face, good players trade, great players go face'. The important thing is to understand how you get punished for not trading and whether making trades is actually advantageous for you. For instance I've thrown a sea giant into a 1/3 northshire cleric because not trading into that cleric is how my opponent gets back into the game but I've also gone face with a giant when my opponent had his own on board because the only outcome I could see was one where he was forced to use his giant to 1 for 1 meaning by not trading for him I'm able to pick up 8 face damage.

Also, since I've brought up 2 Hearthstone aphorisms I might as well throw in a third for free and that's 'The value of face damage'. All that means is that by pushing your opponent close to death you force them into making defensive plays that use their resources more loosely than they would otherwise want to. That means that by pressuring your opponents life total you can make it difficult or impossible for them to make the powerful plays they want to do and instead push them into a situation of staving off your pressure every turn.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
making minions and having a good control of the board, making a 1 mana minion, then a 2, the a 3 and building perodically the board.

if the opponent has a bigger board and managed to deal with yours, then you lost the tempo (and probably the game), also if you only hit face and ignore the opponents board because eventually the opponent will catchup and deal with yours. Tempo in the highlander hunter is a delicate balance, you certainly need to build tempo, but also keep an eye on the face damage output because hunter likes to deal damage on the board.
Yes, the idea of "the turn" is tempo. What's the Tempo Storm motto? Draw, Clear/Trade, Face? That is something I have definitely internalized, though when I am the beatdown, I tend to calculate damage/damage race; e.g., I always concentrate first on face when I am using an aggro deck. But look for value when Mid and Control. Combo is its own beast that I am not yet comfortable with.

It's something that's hard to write a definition for. generally what I mean is playing your big stuff onto the board is very good and i think better for you in Hearthstone than it is in MTG.
Specifically you're sometimes put into the situation where you have to choose between playing for tempo (develop or swing the board now) or for value (hold back resources until they can do more) and it's more often correct to play for tempo (depends on deck, matchup, and current game state).
The other important concept that you both have implied is mana curve. Using all your mana every turn, if possible, seems to produce positive tempo.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This CAN happen but the saying in hearthstone is 'bad players go face, good players trade, great players go face'. The important thing is to understand how you get punished for not trading and whether making trades is actually advantageous for you. For instance I've thrown a sea giant into a 1/3 northshire cleric because not trading into that cleric is how my opponent gets back into the game but I've also gone face with a giant when my opponent had his own on board because the only outcome I could see was one where he was forced to use his giant to 1 for 1 meaning by not trading for him I'm able to pick up 8 face damage.

Also, since I've brought up 2 Hearthstone aphorisms I might as well throw in a third for free and that's 'The value of face damage'. All that means is that by pushing your opponent close to death you force them into making defensive plays that use their resources more loosely than they would otherwise want to. That means that by pressuring your opponents life total you can make it difficult or impossible for them to make the powerful plays they want to do and instead push them into a situation of staving off your pressure every turn.
I completely agree, what i mentioned was a way to explain tempo, i was specifically thinking in a heavy tempo deck, of course trades need to be mindful, you don't throw a 8/8 giant into a vanilla 1/3 for example, that is just outright not ok unless you have a heavy reason, like how you mentioned, the cleric.

As a player that played heavily on pirate warrior I know that different decks have different goals, knowing the strength of each deck is importante and how to play against whatever the opponent has, knowing the opponent is the best way to know if you make or not the trade.

That said, I feel the highlander hunter deck is more midrange, more tempo oriented than other variants of it, like mech hunter which focuses more on face.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Wait, Mech Hunter is an aggro deck?

And Highlander Hunter being a Mid-range deck makes total sense to why I'm digging it as Midrange Hunter is one of my favorite decks. It seems the next stage of that...

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Ice Block Research Project Mage is perhaps the dumbest brawl deck I've ever played. It crumples to any secret removal but nobody is running that. Only lost to a bomb warrior. People with 0 chance just keep playing turns into it, like I'm going to run out of Ice Blocks. I think that they think that I don't have a win condition but then I blow them out filling up their hand and then the fatigue starts.

### Brawl Deck
# Class: Mage
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (2) Ancient Mysteries
# 1x (2) Frostbolt
# 1x (2) Research Project
# 1x (2) Sorcerer's Apprentice
# 1x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 1x (3) Ice Block
#
AAEBAf0EBsABqwTmBJYFtPwC9KsDAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Ice Block Research Project Mage is perhaps the dumbest brawl deck I've ever played. It crumples to any secret removal but nobody is running that. Only lost to a bomb warrior. People with 0 chance just keep playing turns into it, like I'm going to run out of Ice Blocks. I think that they think that I don't have a win condition but then I blow them out filling up their hand and then the fatigue starts.

### Brawl Deck
#
# 1x (2) Frostbolt
# 1x (3) Ice Block
#
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
You can fatigue in this brawl?

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Had my doubts about the adventure and expected it to feel very samey but I actually enjoyed it a lot. Treasures were a super fun addition, especially since I got to Gatling Wand heroic Tekahn for 240 damage.

My only wish is that they would have just unlocked all characters from week 1.

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018

### Brawl Deck
#
# 1x (2) Frostbolt
# 1x (3) Ice Block
#
#
Yeah that is pretty stupid, but it works.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

### Brawl Deck
#
# 1x (2) Frostbolt
# 1x (3) Ice Block
#
#
well in my experience a nice placed zephrys deals with the iceblock, discolock continues to be better in my experience. But there is a new kinda APM priest with test subject and the 7/8 taunt that can deal with most of the decks I've seen

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
well in my experience a nice placed zephrys deals with the iceblock, discolock continues to be better in my experience. But there is a new kinda APM priest with test subject and the 7/8 taunt that can deal with most of the decks I've seen

I've just beaten that priest deck twice using ice block/research project mage. It takes forever but it's not particularly difficult.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've just beaten that priest deck twice using ice block/research project mage. It takes forever but it's not particularly difficult.

so it seems like there is a kinda rock paper scizors again this time around, that priest deck is good against warlock, warlock is good against mage and mage is good against priest

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Really excited to see today's Blizzard post. Between the standard cards list and the Halloween event, some real goodies to carry us into the next expansion.

Last edited:

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Funny, for me Pit Crocolisk is significantly outperforming Siamet going by drawn and played winrates after going 21-10 with standard secret mage to rank 3. Could be variance, but I think it might be because it gives me more confidence to go face than Siamet does. If Pit Crocolisk is doing that well for me, I can't wait for Ragnoros to come back.

Secret mage card stats

What happened to all the murloc and zoo decks? Beligerant Gnome has done terrible for me only because apparently murlocs left the meta. Doesn't do that much against highlander hunter, aggro rogue, or any slower deck, and is only ok against Quest Shaman and Aggro Warrior.

Might consider some sort of mech package to replace the bottom tier cards, but I don't know if it'd be any better. I swear Mage's main problem is it's impossible to build a deck without including 7 cards you never want to draw.

Ancient Mysteries is a kinda funny card, because you wouldn't think you'd rather draw the secret for 1 additional mana, but it's rougher than you'd think to invest 2 mana on a secret that might not be useful in the moment. There's also the rare occasion when you draw it without any secrets left, which is extremely bad when that happens. In wild, ancient mysteries is consistantly near the bottom of drawn winrates.

### Secret Mage
# Format: Standard
AAECAf0EAoSnA/unAw5xngHDAewFvuwCzu8C7/ECtogD2YkDpaEDvqQD8qUD3akD9KsDAA==

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
source.gif

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they have a lot of things these weeks I love it, each week a new brawl, pack/card rewards, the dual arena which is always amazing, but this time with the rotations in place.

And the wild cards they added are huge, they really wanted to shaking things up. I think I'll like the next weeks, this only lasts for less than month.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
they have a lot of things these weeks I love it, each week a new brawl, pack/card rewards, the dual arena which is always amazing, but this time with the rotations in place.

And the wild cards they added are huge, they really wanted to shaking things up. I think I'll like the next weeks, this only lasts for less than month.
Nope, the wild cards are in until the next expansion. Re-read the post.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, the wild cards are in until the next expansion. Re-read the post.
nope:
These cards will be considered "event" cards, which essentially means that they're temporary copies and not permanent additions to your collection. Even if you already own the cards, you'll still receive these event copies. When the event ends they'll disappear, just like the Headless Horseman himself!

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Well, you all know I like Shaman so;

Thaurissan in quest Shaman for double battlecry on Shudderwock.
N'Zoth in Shaman with Sylvanas and Khartut Defender, doubled up with Shudderwock. Maybe Applebaum and Safeguard too, taunt Shaman?

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Given the fact that I'm gone for most of the month, happy to see the Wild cards will be Standard a bit longer than the event. Gives me time to play around!

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
probably all next week will be a little hectic with such powerful cards entering the game all of a sudden for everyone... I expect the meta to settle a bit in 2 weeks or so, so it's nice to have time to play more with these

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
The silver lining (for me) is that with more combo decks in the meta, anti-combo tech will be playable, and those are really fun cards.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, that's a lot better than 3 weeks of "i dunno, N'Zoth priest?"
It feels a lot more worthwhile theorycrafting and deckbuilding with these cards since they'll stick around for a while.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
hopefully eventually we can reach the point where classic is rotated yearly and includes cards from all the old expansions, kind of a missed opportunity that they avoided singleton wild cards in this wtf

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
hopefully eventually we can reach the point where classic is rotated yearly and includes cards from all the old expansions, kind of a missed opportunity that they avoided singleton wild cards in this wtf
I would dare to bet this is a test to try and see if either a rotating card set or a rotating set format can work, they have been testing similar things with some brawls and they usually like to test the waters for new things before they implement them in the game

Arcsurvivor

Jul 13, 2018
I just completed the tomb of Terror adventure and I had over 30 charges of the Sir Finley's weapon. I managed to survive with Nozar and 2 Thekals discovered from hero power.

Status
Not open for further replies.