• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Uninstalled the game. I'd already stopped playing because I was bored with the current meta, but I was ready to hop back in whenever things changed until they banned Blitzchung.

This is the most money I've ever spent on a game I completely turned my back on. I regret every penny.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually do not disagree with the ban. But maybe the length but most certainly find the taking of prize away to be too far. In pro sports, players are subject to fines all the time for behavior not even in the game (afaik). But they certainly do not lose all their earnings and a one time offense I would imagine does not lead to an entire year ban. Well, they do call it a suspension anyway fwiw.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually do not disagree with the ban. But maybe the length but most certainly find the taking of prize away to be too far. In pro sports, players are subject to fines all the time for behavior not even in the game (afaik). But they certainly do not lose all their earnings and a one time offense I would imagine does not lead to an entire year ban.

far lower ban, some games at most, no money penalty and certainly not fire the casters, the last 2 were too far and showed a really different intent.

in the optimal escenario he would just be asked politely to not do it again because of the policies in place without a punishment, after all it was a few words at the end of the interview, may be reminding everyone to not get political on streams or there would be further consequences.

I still find this whole situation so stupidly bad. Even more stupidly bad when blizzard HQs hasn't said a word to address the fire they have in their hands.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
You know I'm constantly surrounded with the evidence of a world where people with a lot more authority and power than me have made things into the way they are. This isn't just whether I agree with the ban or not, it's whether I want to continue to play a game that now reminds me which side I'm on, and apparently which side the corporation that puts out the game I'm playing is on. We're not compatible anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
far lower ban, some games at most, no money penalty and certainly not fire the casters, the last 2 were too far and showed a really different intent.

in the optimal escenario he would just be asked politely to not do it again because of the policies in place without a punishment, after all it was a few words at the end of the interview, may be reminding everyone to not get political on streams or there would be further consequences.

I still find this whole situation so stupidly bad. Even more stupidly bad when blizzard HQs hasn't said a word to address the fire they have in their hands.

I actually agree with the casters being fired, based on my understanding of the events. They work for Blizzard. They should be judged harsher than the players imo. And I am told they knew it was coming and not only failed to discourage it, actually encouraged it. The caveat is my opinion is based on what I understand. I have seen the clip. They knew it was coming. They knew it was bad. But I of course do not know what they knew, what they believed at the time.

I would agree with your optimal scenario if he did what he did not knowing it was against the rules, or in like an innocent state of mind. But I think he knew. Based on his statements, he pretty much admitted it. Do not get me wrong, I respect the guy for doing what he did. Unprofessional? Hell yes. But worthy of respect, even more of a hell yes. Overkill on the punishment? Definitely.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree with the casters being fired, based on my understanding of the events. They work for Blizzard. They should be judged harsher than the players imo. And I am told they knew it was coming and not only failed to discourage it, actually encouraged it. The caveat is my opinion is based on what I understand. I have seen the clip. They knew it was coming. They knew it was bad. But I of course do not know what they knew, what they believed at the time.

I would agree with your optimal scenario if he did what he did not knowing it was against the rules, or in like an innocent state of mind. But I think he knew. Based on his statements, he pretty much admitted it. Do not get me wrong, I respect the guy for doing what he did. Unprofessional? Hell yes. But worthy of respect, even more of a hell yes. Overkill on the punishment? Definitely.

yeah I see your point, as I understood, they knew he was going to say something controversial, tried to discurage but the player insisted and later they just opted to let it happend but them ignoring the situation, I'm not sure myself, but may be they thought it would be far less harmful than what they throught it would be. Somewhere I saw they didn't expect this to happen, they were crying their careers as casters were over and c'mon... I think it's a bit harsh to outright fire them. As kibler said on his statement, he has the option to opt out of the job, but there are other casters which their life depend on the job they have, I consider the same for the casters involved.

I'm not sure if the player knew because what he said after all the events was more on the line of just accepting the punishment and the consequence. which again, I think it's too harsh, may be he thought it would be controversial and out of place, but even if he knew, this was a first in the HS eSports, which is another reason why the punishment felt so out of place to me.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I see your point, as I understood, they knew he was going to say something controversial, tried to discurage but the player insisted and later they just opted to let it happend but them ignoring the situation, I'm not sure myself, but may be they thought it would be far less harmful than what they throught it would be. Somewhere I saw they didn't expect this to happen, they were crying their careers as casters were over and c'mon... I think it's a bit harsh to outright fire them. As kibler said on his statement, he has the option to opt out of the job, but there are other casters which their life depend on the job they have, I consider the same for the casters involved.

I'm not sure if the player knew because what he said after all the events was more on the line of just accepting the punishment and the consequence. which again, I think it's too harsh, may be he thought it would be controversial and out of place, but even if he knew, this was a first in the HS eSports, which is another reason why the punishment felt so out of place to me.

I think the tournament organizers also share some of the blame. The interviews being live probably will not be a thing again, I would guess based on this incident. And maybe I was being a little too harsh on the casters cause I do not really know all the facts and am going a bit by how it was explained to me on comphs discord. I do not think their careers should be over. But I guess the way the market is, it may well be. And that is definitely a shitty thing.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Kripp actually has a pretty good statement as well:

You guys know me for a decade now. You know I generally don't get into serious non-gaming issues on stream, YouTube, or socials. This isn't because I don't have opinions, it is because I try to create chill and entertaining content, and give you guys a place to relax and feel comfortable. With that said, I want to be clear that I support those protesting in Hong Kong. With such a large part of their country pushing for change, they are, and deserve to be on the right side of history.

I haven't been involved with competitive esports Hearthstone for years now, but Hearthstone for me is much more than their esports division and their recent poor decision making. I invite Blizzard to reconsider their position. Sure, they are in the entertainment space, so they want to keep anything that isn't about Hearthstone out of their official broadcast, but the penalty on Blitzchung and the casters seems just too over the top. All of us who have spent the best part of our lives on Battlenet expect better out of Blizzard.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
You can't leave out the context of all the other ways China trying to control the speech about Hong Kong and US corporations going along with it. Especially right in the middle of NBA going through the exact same controversy.

And Blizzard already is playing pro-China politics by renaming the hong kong team in overwatch and putting chat filters about it in their game, so they don't exactly have much luxury to say it's just trying to be apolitical on this issue. Blizzard's Chinese language statement even outright said it was about China's pride.

I think it's understandable people seeing this through the eyes of a hearthstone player and not a international news follower would think it's important to note that yelling out unrelated political statements should be discouraged, but that's very obviously not what this is about. The harshness of the penality shouldn't be looked at as the primary problem, but instead as the clue to there being something more behind it than keeping interviews orderly.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can't leave out the context of all the other ways China trying to control the speech about Hong Kong and US corporations going along with it. Especially right in the middle of NBA going through the exact same controversy.

And Blizzard already is playing pro-China politics by renaming the hong kong team in overwatch and putting chat filters about it in their game, so they don't exactly have much luxury to say it's just trying to be apolitical on this issue. Blizzard's Chinese language statement even outright said it was about China's pride.

I think it's understandable people seeing this through the eyes of a hearthstone player and not a international news follower would think it's important to note that yelling out unrelated political statements should be discouraged, but that's very obviously not what this is about. The harshness of the penality shouldn't be looked at as the primary problem, but instead as the clue to there being something more behind it than keeping interviews orderly.
We can speculate all we want about how blizz politics have aligned with the CCP, like how they renamed the taiwan overwatch team from Team Taiwan to China Taipei, but for this issue speculation isn't going to get us anywere, the fact we can work with is the penalty is drastic, we can protest that because it is a tangible issue we can see changed or not, simple.

Because the problem about the specualtion is that half or more of the companies we love cater to whatever the CCP does, and going by that we wouldn't be consuming a lot of products. We have to draw a line about how much we tolerate, for example this issue clearly went over it, which I also agree, each one has to see how much want to be involved in it.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
We can speculate all we want about how blizz politics have aligned with the CCP, like how they renamed the taiwan overwatch team from Team Taiwan to China Taipei, but for this issue speculation isn't going to get us anywere, the fact we can work with is the penalty is drastic, we can protest that because it is a tangible issue we can see changed or not, simple.

Because the problem about the specualtion is that half or more of the companies we love cater to whatever the CCP does, and going by that we wouldn't be consuming a lot of products. We have to draw a line about how much we tolerate, for example this issue clearly went over it, which I also agree, each one has to see how much want to be involved in it.
Yeah, I'm not telling anyone they have to boycott and am not promising I'll boycott it either. After Kiblers statement I'm not finding Hearthstone very fun to play right now, but I may get over it.

Also, disregarding all that heavy stuff, can we appreciate how damn wierd it is that in the year 2019, multiple US senators made statements about a Hearthstone esport tournament ruling.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not telling anyone they have to boycott and am not promising I'll boycott it either. After Kiblers statement I'm not finding Hearthstone very fun to play right now, but I may get over it.

Also, disregarding all that heavy stuff, can we appreciate how damn wierd it is that in the year 2019, multiple US senators made statements about a Hearthstone esport tournament ruling.
Certainly not the way I hope HS would become relevant in the gaming discussion again, that's for sure.

I'm saddened by all this, saddened and dissapointed.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I'm thinking of returning to this game but haven't played in 3 years maybe longer.

Is it still viable? When I stopped playing I didn't buy any of the expansions or spent any real money on it.

Can I actually return to this and play or am I wasting my time? I'm looking for a game like this to play on my phone.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of returning to this game but haven't played in 3 years maybe longer.

Is it still viable? When I stopped playing I didn't buy any of the expansions or spent any real money on it.

Can I actually return to this and play or am I wasting my time? I'm looking for a game like this to play on my phone.

well I've been playing on mobile like 95% of the time for about 4 years and yeah, I think it is accesible there, right now even though there is this whole controversy going, the game is having one of the best events we ever had, the right now if you log in into the game you will get 5 packs, a 200g quest, a new brawl with some free content and 23 of the most powerful wild cards being given free for a limited time to everyone. You can jump in and we can solve you any question you have with the game

kazinova

Oct 27, 2017
Gwent is out on iOS at the end of the month. Maybe I'll switch to that for a while and see how Blizzard recovers from this. Blizzcon is going to be weird unless this all blows over quickly and everyone forgets.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The tombs of terror finale lived up to all the hype! I want to talk about it but I actually don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't made it to the end yet. Lots of cool moments.

When that mysterious 10 mana card shows up in your hand and it ends up summoning all four Old Gods, I was like YES. And then Tekhan plays the card too a turn later and I'm like NO. hahaha.

Also, I'm proud to say that I didn't realize you get to cycle through all four heroes, and I almost beat TeKhan on my first go with just my first pick, Elise. When she died, went immune, and I had the chance to pick another one, that was another great hype moment

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else having a bug on mobile where their 1000 win portrait isn't being correctly used in a match? (Mine is just defaulting back to my golden regular Anduin)

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's been reported already. I read about it on twitter earlier today.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Censoring *ong in twitch chat clears most of the spam in Grandmaster playoffs.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That is true. But there's still a few comments on the match itself.
Also, maybe adding spam to my filter list will get rid of those annoying spam this x comments.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Highlander paladin is pretty good. I went from ten to six with it. I might hit five this month, I've haven't hit five in years, lol. The only thing I cannot beat is resurrect priest. They just have too many removals and answers for everything.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really curious. I don't think this will be another artifact, I think it will be a serious competitor.

Question: do you think Gwent on mobile affects Hearthstone?
Also, would MtG:A on mobile affect HS?

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious. I don't think this will be another artifact, I think it will be a serious competitor.

Question: do you think Gwent on mobile affects Hearthstone?
Also, would MtG:A on mobile affect HS?

magic would affect it for sure, but I don't think it can ever go to mobile, there are some mechanics that cannot scalate easily to mobile, like infinite creatures, unlike the 7 minion limit on HS.

I don't think gwent would affect, it's a pretty different game and honestly I don't find it as interactive as HS overall.

Oct 25, 2017
Kun and floop are dirty cards in quest druid.

source.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I've stopped several OTK paladins in their tracks with the 20 armor from them... I usually evil laugh at them

But it is more than that lol, you get your first kun for free, but then floop only costs 4 mana and refreshes instead of 10 so you basically get to play 30 mana in 1 turn. 10 on first kun, 6 mana on anything, 4 mana on second kun, which gives you another 10 mana. Just insane.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But it is more than that lol, you get your first kun for free, but then floop only costs 4 mana and refreshes instead of 10 so you basically get to play 30 mana in 1 turn. 10 on first kun, 6 mana on anything, 4 mana on second kun, which gives you another 10 mana. Just insane.
it can dump a lot from hand on the turn they are played, that's for sure one of the strongest turns ever in the game, you get 20 life, potentially 30 mana and more than 10/11 on stats on board

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
honestly the deck is really good, but it fails, just like the resurect priest, to keep up with any fast deck

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

JUST IN: @AOC, Senator @marcorubio, Senator @RonWyden, congressman Gallagher and Malinowski have signed a joint letter directed to Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick denouncing and condemning Blizzard's punishment of Blitzchung https://t.co/kIaWriif7m

@AOC @marcorubio @RonWyden "Activision Blizzard benefits from China's growing market for esports with an investment from Tencent...Gamers around the world have taken notice of your company's actions, understandably calling for boycotting of Activision Blizzard gaming sites" they're going in

@AOC @marcorubio @RonWyden note that it looks as if the letter was either written prior to Activision Blizzard reducing the punishment for blitzchung, or everyone missed it and was sent as is

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand if the hatred towards Blizzard is about their alleged China bias, or if it's more about not caring about their fans, or just people who want chaos.
I don't think it's about the China bias because Blitzchung has already said he's fine-ish with the adjusted punishment and yet there's still people angry at Blizzard.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand if the hatred towards Blizzard is about their alleged China bias, or if it's more about not caring about their fans, or just people who want chaos.
I don't think it's about the China bias because Blitzchung has already said he's fine-ish with the adjusted punishment and yet there's still people angry at Blizzard.

Some people have taken the issue as a flag to bring a spotlight to the the hong kong protests, so of course blizz will always be bad.

Some others have been fed up with mismanagements from blizz and they now want to see the company fall.

Some other just outright want to see tgr world burn.

I personally think blizz really messed up, they rectified, solved the issue and made it consistent with applying the same punishment to a involved, same as the UA students. While I'm not fully ok with blizz (they messed up in the first place) I'm now (more or less) ok with how the blitzchung punishment ended up

Status
Not open for further replies.