• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017

Intel said:
The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD's Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

AMD said:
Our collaboration with Intel expands the installed base for AMD Radeon GPUs and brings to market a differentiated solution for high-performance graphics," said Scott Herkelman, vice president and general manager, AMD Radeon Technologies Group. "Together we are offering gamers and content creators the opportunity to have a thinner-and-lighter PC capable of delivering discrete performance-tier graphics experiences in AAA games and content creation applications. This new semi-custom GPU puts the performance and capabilities of Radeon graphics into the hands of an expanded set of enthusiasts who want the best visual experience possible.

Source: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices

* This thread is posted on behalf of Caayn from the Adopt-an-user thread **

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
That is a big win for Intel... they will put their CPU with a better way GPU... while for AMD amor so much because they already have a good CPU.

I'm curious too see if Intel process will give better clocks to AMD GPU.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
AMD are making a mistake in agreeing to this deal. Intel are one of the most untrustworthy companies in existence, I wouldn't be surprised if this is purely for corporate espionage.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
I literally said holy shit as soon as I saw it getting confirmed.

I can't believe that after all the rumours and somewhat crazy expectations and straight up denial by Intel and AMD, this turns out to be real.

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When he said about VR experience, there was Warhammer Vermintide 2 visible in the background. It would be interesting to play this game in VR.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Cool stuff. But I still think that the 'next gen' Playstation/Xbox will be a Raven Ridge based platform to keep it closer to the current generation.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
So the rumors were true...
On the one hand, this is a big win for amd, licensing their technology could bring a lot of needed cash flow.
On the other hand, Intel is super-slimy, and I really hope they don't pull one of their moves.

Oct 27, 2017
This is more towards mobile graphics replacement. Unless the other consoles are moving towards switch design I do not know what the advantage is for consoles.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Weird move considering AMD just annoucned those new hybrid CPU Ryzen Mobile which seems like exactly what Intel is doing here. With AMD. Really weird.

HitCtrlAltDel

Oct 27, 2017
Why would AMD do this? Their own APUs with Ryzen and Vega are right around the corner. Why partner with Intel when you can just own this space with all your own tech?

Putting aside my disbelief for a second though: it says the chip includes HBM2 memory. Do we know if they will just supply 16 or 32gb of HBM2 and not have traditional system RAM? Would be cool to allow you to choose the split between graphics RAM and system RAM; better yet it would dynamically allocate. That would be great and make the potential laptops that will use this even smaller and have more room for battery.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
interesting

I wonder how this thing will benchmark when used in mobile (battery powered) applications

Could be an exciting jump in this space

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The EU is going to love this.
Antitrust lawsuit when?

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
Ok now I'm actually starting to wonder if our new console generations will be hybrid home and mobile like the Switch. I didn't believe the tech was there to truly do it, but looks like it is or at least on the way. Will be way to expensive for now but it's in the pipeline.

spladam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would AMD do this? Their own APUs with Ryzen and Vega are right around the corner. Why partner with Intel when you can just own this space with all your own tech?

Putting aside my disbelief for a second though: it says the chip includes HBM2 memory. Do we know if they will just supply 16 or 32gb of HBM2 and not have traditional system RAM? Would be cool to allow you to choose the split between graphics RAM and system RAM; better yet it would dynamically allocate. That would be great and make the potential laptops that will use this even smaller and have more room for battery.
It's just embedded HBM2 on the integrated die, and given the cost of HBM and that it's an integrated GPU, it's not going to anywhere near 16GB. I'd expect 4, at the most.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is interesting. Could lead to more partnership(s) in the future I'd imagine.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible. I never thought a trailer showing pieces of hardware merging together could get me this excited.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Not really surprising.

Charlie from S|A first started talking about this around 2 years ago, which is appropriate amount of time for development of this kind of partnership.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
AMD needs all of the money they can get. I assume they don't see their Mobile solutions doing well enough in the portable market? I do think it was a smart business decision to spin off the graphics division in to the Radeon Technologies Group. This makes it easier to pull in money via semi-custom designs. This deal might actually benefit AMD in the long run since they make money on every processor sold between themselves and Intel. If AMD mobile solutions end up winning out on overall price-to-performance then they get the better end of the deal overall.

Edit: I have to say that this new development has threw a wrench in me wanting to buy a new laptop. I was actually thinking about a Surface Book, but this new development makes me much more curious about the refresh that will happen next year. Unfortunately, that likely wouldn't happen until the end of next year so the wait will be excruciating.

Ebenezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So it's like Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, but with processors.

Or when WWE bought WCW.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of strange that Intel would give up on their own integrated GPU technology, and that AMD is giving an Intel CPU such an advantage when they are offering APU systems themselves. What a weird product.

MJPIA

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmm now I want a GPD Win or some other handheld Windows device with a low power intel cpu combined with AMD's graphics prowess.
That'd be amazing

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there should be immediate antitrust discussion around these two partnering for anything. Could make an amazing console chip from this partnership though.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol. This has huge ramifications for next gen consoles. I do wonder if its a little too late.

Sony is arguably already has something in the works and while they have 2-3 years to nail down the specs, we started hearing the 1.8tflop figure for PS5 a year before it was officially unveiled.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
lol. This has huge ramifications for next gen consoles. I do wonder if its a little too late.

Sony is arguably already has something in the works and while they have 2-3 years to nail down the specs, we started hearing the 1.8tflop figure for PS5 a year before it was officially unveiled.

I wouldn't expect an Intel processor in the PS5/next Xbox. They will still get more for their money going with a semi custom AMD APU and not trying to bring Intel into the picture.