• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there's something wrong with me but ever since the original Doom, Hell has been one of my favorite settings in video games. It's alien in a different way than your stereotypical alien settings. I mean, it's hell.

Gore and viscera decorating the walls. Red and black is always in season in hell. But so few games venture into this territory. So few in fact that this thread wouldn't be very interesting if I were to limit the discussion purely to the Christian after life.

So what are your favorite hell or hellish environments in games? It doesn't just have to be black and red Demonic gore nests. It can be anything you consider hellish.

Doom is the obvious answer so I going with the Ishimura from Dead Space.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
The early demos for Agony showed a pretty impressive depiction of Hell, though I haven't been following the game since (apparently it's terrible to play).

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Painkiller's final level was Hell envisioned as an endless battle in various time periods frozen in time with a nuclear bomb stuck in mid-detonation.

Davoid

Jun 15, 2018
220px-Screamcover.jpg

That and Doom, of course.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I read the title of this thread as "Hell is Video Games" and came in to agree until I realized that's not what the title was.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I like 'I have no mouth but I must scream' and Silent Hill 2 ("for me it's always like this") for some more subtle examples.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, there's very few depictions of hell in games that aren't fiery and gory red/black caverns and gothic cathedrals. There's sections in Dante's Inferno (the game, as well as the novel) that are quite different from that, I specifically remember an ice section based on the Greek Cocytus, the frozen river of Hades.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Painkiller easily.
Hell is essentially a snap shot in time of every human tragedy all occuring at the same time frozen in time. WW1, the titanic sinking, all wars in history, the nuclear blast. Seriously one of the most haunting visions of hell Ive seen.

SusumuStreet

Jan 2, 2018
Fear Effect 1 had an interesting hell. It was cold and murky with enemies based on Chinese lore.

Not great images but it was the opposite of the red and hot type of thing:
8MJArGr.jpg

kOcQbDu.jpg

z3A75A3.png

More in line with the typical burning fire type of hell, I always like Earthworm Jim's version. The terrific sprite work and wide array of background pieces they made really sold it.
MLhSbXw.png

SrynHQk.png

Last edited:

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
The portrayal of Hell in Fear Effect is really unique and freaky. They don't go for the typical fire and brimstone aesthetic, but something much more different. Its depiction is partly based in Chinese mythology, so that shakes thing up a bit, but combine that with the game's cinematic aspirations and special "MotionFX" tech, and the devs managed to create a place that was genuinely unsettling. It was supremely effective at the time anyway, so it always stuck with me.

Not the best images, but it is a PS1 game after all.

hqdefault.jpg

39729-fear-effect-playstation-screenshot-funeral-in-chinese-hell.jpg

212485-fear-effect-playstation-screenshot-creepy-skinless-demons.jpg

scrabble

Banned
May 8, 2018
Hell to me has always been more psychological as opposed to a lava world with fire everywhere. With that caveat i'd go with Silent Hill 2.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
SaGa Frontier for the PS1 had an interesting version of Hell. When you arrive, it looks just like Heaven, complete with angels floating around. If you bump into one of those angels though, you are attacked by monsters.

When you reach the boss at the end, Hell Lord, the dungeon starts to show its true colors. The boss will shift back and forth between two different forms, and the background swaps accordingly between the heavenly illusion and the hellish truth.

The dungeon even has a unique game mechanic called heavenly peace: all damage is reduced until someone breaks the peace by casting a magic spell.

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018
Uhm Dante's Inferno was an interesting hellish setting. The first God Of War had a good section with giant bones, spikes and people falling from above to a sea of lava.
My favorite hell setting so far has been Gat Out of Hell though, nothing too unsettling but instead a fun world to explore.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agony has some interesting environments and demon designs. It also seems to be one of the few that focuses on pure evil shit mixed with biblical lust.

The Ishimura is a nice example of an environment gone to hell.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
What I like more is hell in videogames that isn't in the traditional fire and brimstone way like in God of War.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Fear Effect 1 had an interesting hell. It was cold and murky with enemies based on Chinese lore.

Not great images but it was the opposite of the red and hot type of thing:

More in line with the typical burning fire type of hell, I always like Earthworm Jim's version. The terrific sprite work and wide array of background pieces they made really sold it.
MLhSbXw.png

SrynHQk.png

Mmmmm Trypophobia.

Khalme

Feb 5, 2018
Hel in Hellblade : Senua's Sacrifice was a pretty depressing place.

I'm not going to say much more because spoilers, but the journey to Hel was harrowing.

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Except for the actual ones you go to in TESIV.

The descriptions of all of the others sound really cool, but TESIV just gives you generic fiery hellscapes. That was pretty disappointing.

i dunno, the shivering isles were pretty fantastic, reminded me of the seelie and unseelie courts. definitely a very beautiful, alien, and frightening world.

900316-181127_si_12b.jpg

calling the oblivion realms 'hell' is a bit of a stretch, though. they're not really like that.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not technically Hell or even an Afterlife, but Silent Hill's Otherworld acts very much the way Hell is often described as, with fire/blood/brimstone, whilst also being personalized nightmares! Probably the most inventive take on a Hell-like setting I've ever seen in a video game, especially the sheer Otherness of 1 and 3's!
180bb962e4d585717c71c9a4c5739794.jpg

98cfa1e45eef6b417d0155a3e0fd290ca111afcb_hq.jpg

latest

latest

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I found hell in Terraria to be really fun. Making tunnels mining for hellstone is one of my favorite things to do in that game.