• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
This Trailer made me buy Senuas Sacrifice ( eur on steam) gonna dive into it tomorrow.
Hope this will also release on pc.
That singing was powerful, gave me shivers.
Definitely a better early next gen showing than godfall.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
GODDAMN!!!

That looks incredible. I'm kinda worried about where a sequel could go, but fuck, that trailer is hype as hell.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I never said any different.
Except you said
Hellblade is a very nice looking game with great audio design, animation and visuals but it isnt a top 10 this gen graphically. There am were just better examples of graphical prowess that clearly had more resources as well. I don't mean this as an insult to NT in any way. They punched above their weight.
Straight from Xbox One X. No edits, only photo mode for framing
J4KXXu7.jpg

rh5iqy5.jpg

You're gonna be hard pressed to find many games that look better and are currently released so I'll let Senua express how I feel about your claim:
FR9kETg.jpg

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
GODDAMN!!!

That looks incredible. I'm kinda worried about where a sequel could go, but fuck, that trailer is hype as hell.

I didn't catch it, but there's a secret ending where

Druth reveals he buckled under torture and told the Northeners about the village and says a man in black lead them to it. It's heavily suggested that man was Senuas father. Considering that, I'm betting this is her returning for vengeance, maybe even leading an army against them. That there is a lot to. One, not just narratively but how it impacts her psyche.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
finally clicked for me what the chant from Senua reminded me of, sort of like a haka, getting pumped before battle/intimidating opponents type thing.

Oct 26, 2017
Let me summarize what happened:

> Ninja Theory announced Bleeding Edge at E3
"That's MS corporate meddling in place"
"Ninja theory was known for single player games not MP crap"

> The game was in development before MS acquisition

> Ninja Theory announced Hellblade 2 at TGA
"Oh well, this is MS trying to turn the game in a franchise"
"The initial message will be lost, Hellblade does not need another sequel"

> This game was also in development before MS acquisition

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Except you said

Straight from Xbox One X. No edits, only photo mode for framing
You're gonna be hard pressed to find many games that look better and are currently released so I'll let Senua express how I feel about your claim:

I actually agree with him. I am currently not as impressed as I was hoping to be, but I am not that far into the game yet. If you look at the individual objects and materials there is a lot that can be improved upon. Takes nothing away from the overal style though. Game looks great, but there are others that trump it :)

OT: still really in love with this trailer. There is just something about it that makes me keep watching it over and over again, plus it looks absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to eventually get my hands on it.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well normally current gen games got all their screenshots in 1080p, until mid-gen games where games started getting screenshots in 4K.

8K screenshots now??? Does this hint at something? A 8K mode for Hellblade 2???

Edit: Screens have some names on them. It's obvious from the traielr that Senua may be leading an army now and that screen's name corroborates it. Incoming Shadow Of War gameplay type?

Edit 2:
Ok this is scary shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I downloaded the 8K version of Senua's face when chanting. Before in the 4K version I could notice the wrinkles on the forehead and nose but now with the 8K version I could notice the tiny hair around the edge of the nose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is some crazy detail I could only see in CGIs. No way you gonna see such detail if not in 8K. Download the 8K version.

The first time I saw such detail was in Dante's Inferno CGI trailer. Watch around 2:16
BE AWARE THOUGH, few seconds before it's NSFW:

Ninja Theory are really kicking CGI quality and everyone saying otherwise needs to check his eyes.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ok if you are lazy to watch the Dante's Inferno trailer or downlaod the 8K screen, here I cropped the detail for you and pointed it with arrows.

Dante's Inferno:

tGa3N0U.png

Hellblade 2 8K screenshot:

csrOUUj.png

I would have never imagined to see such details in games this soon. And Hellblade 2 has better quality than Dante's Inferno CGI in many areas.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019
Ok if you are lazy to watch the Dante's Inferno trailer or downlaod the 8K screen, here I cropped the detail for you and pointed it with arrows.

Dante's Inferno:

tGa3N0U.png

Hellblade 2 8K screenshot:

csrOUUj.png

I would have never imagined to see such details in games this soon. And Hellblade 2 has better quality than Dante's Inferno CGI in many areas.

Doesn't take next gen for peach fuzz.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

That's amazing and great to know (i hope it's maintained during gameplay or photomode). It seems devs now are transitioning by trying to implemnted new techs destined for next-gen in current-gen. Some RT tests and updates for some games on current gen and now this.

S-E seems to have already started high emphasis on such details for now and next-gen.

7.jpg

And they are woeking on very advanced skin shader that implicates melanin and hemoglobin to convey reactions of skin according to emtions like anger or shiness etc..

18.jpg

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I wonder if the stance would be the same, if tables were turned around? It's beyond me why people defend a sequel to a multiplatform game, that was already in the roadmap before the acquisition, being turned into an exclusive to a single ecosystem.
So what is your defense of Street fighter V? Everything that was announced for multiple platforms before has been made available on those platforms. I get the feeling it's because MS is involved more than anything.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So i'm always curious with those super big resolutions and how people perceive them, so i wanted to test for the fun of it. This is what i got, take it for what you want.

hd upscaled 4x without sharpening, 4k upscaled 2x without sharpening and their native 8k wall.

8ktest.jpg

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am just beyond hyped about Ninja Theory continuing Senua's story with this game, and with a LOT more support. They are one of my favorite devs, and Hellblade is one of my top 3 IPs, period.

A movie analogue: When I was a young person and Peter Jackson's LotR was revealed, I couldn't believe it was actually happening.

I feel similarly about HB:2. Senua's Sacrifice was pretty much a religious experience for me, and it broke me for a minute. Too much of it nuked me in all the fucked-up feels I possessed at the time.

I bawled at the end of Senua's Sacrifice. Like, ugly, loud crying. I curled up on my bed and sad seal-barked at the world around me because of that fucking game. It was embarrassing and involved a lot of un-sexy bodily fluids, all from my face.

I NEVER expected any follow up/sequel to Hellblade. Most of us didn't. But I am really invested in what Ninja Theory wants to do with it. Some folks are skeptical, but people were skeptical about Hellblade 1 as well. How did that turn out?

End result: Now an indie studio with tons of talent has money and they are developing a passion project. Isn't that what we want?

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
So what is your defense of Street fighter V? Everything that was announced for multiple platforms before has been made available on those platforms. I get the feeling it's because MS is involved more than anything.

That attempt to retort was already made and replied over a week ago:

That feeling is all on you. Wouldn't you be annoyed, if RE2 remake had been turned into an exclusive, and people were championing it?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

That feeling is all on you. Wouldn't you be annoyed, if RE2 remake had been turned into an exclusive, and people were championing it?
It's different circumstances than a traditional 3P moneyhat. Ninja Theory is now a MS owned studio and the game is funded completely by MS. And the HB2 they are currently making isn't the same one they would be making if they had to find the funds independently.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

That response is such a non response though. It's just saying it sucks but this now first party studio making a game exclusive is much worse than an iconic 3rd party moneyhat.
No I am not "championing" it but it is a first party studio. 1st parties make exclusives. It just sounds like moving goal posts.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That response is such a non response though. It's just saying it sucks but this now first party studio making a game exclusive is much worse than an iconic 3rd party moneyhat.
No I am not "championing" it but it is a first party studio. 1st parties make exclusives. It just sounds like moving goal posts.

I get the feeling you're not satisfied with the response that didn't match your expectations. It's a fitting response for an unrelated issue, since I've never championed the SFV exclusivity deal, and none of Microsoft's competitors have so far acquired studios which have released most of their games on multiple platforms. I haven't posted any grievances about the SFV deal either though, since it doesn't really affect me as I don't play fighting games. The same would apply, if some sports game became exclusive to XB platform. I don't play them either, so it's not like I'd be missing anything. Other examples would be Rise of the Tomb Raider and Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare. The latter timed exclusivity deal didn't bother me anywhere near as much, since it wasn't a game I would have bought anyway, and it didn't have such a history on other platforms. On top of that, I don't have any issues with MS acquiring studios like Playground, which have a long history with them.

How exactly are the goal posts moved, when this was already discussed over a week ago? You come late to the debate, which had already run its course, and try to turn it into something it's not.

People were championing for the acquisition of a studio with a long history of supporting multiple platforms, and are still doing so in the related threads, like the most recent one about a visit to Poland, and the rumor about a possible Asian acquisition. Wet dreams about CD Project Red and From Software can be found in abundance on those threads.

That being said, if the Hellblade sequel turns out to be an open world game, like the trailer seems to imply, it's not a big loss for me, since I've grown a strong distaste for the formula. That's why I have only bought a couple of AAA games during the past two years.

EDIT:
It's different circumstances than a traditional 3P moneyhat. Ninja Theory is now a MS owned studio and the game is funded completely by MS. And the HB2 they are currently making isn't the same one they would be making if they had to find the funds independently.

Yes, it's worse, as the usual moneyhat deals only delay when everyone can play the games, or only affect a single game, not every game the studio makes. In this case, no-one can play the game, that was already in the works before the acquisition, outside of Microsoft's eco system. Let alone, that if it turns out that the increased budget made them change it into yet another open world game, it would have been better as a mid-budget good old linear experience, like the first.

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I get the feeling you're not satisfied with the response that didn't match your expectations. It's a fitting response for an unrelated issue, since I've never championed the SFV exclusivity deal, and none of Microsoft's competitors have so far acquired studios which have released most of their games on multiple platforms. I haven't posted any grievances about the SFV deal either though, since it doesn't really affect me as I don't play fighting games. The same would apply, if some sports game became exclusive to XB platform. I don't play them either, so it's not like I'd be missing anything. Other examples would be Rise of the Tomb Raider and Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare. The latter timed exclusivity deal didn't bother me anywhere near as much, since it wasn't a game I would have bought anyway, and it didn't have such a history on other platforms. On top of that, I don't have any issues with MS acquiring studios like Playground, which have a long history with them.

How exactly are the goal posts moved, when this was already discussed over a week ago? You come late to the debate, which had already run its course, and try to turn it into something it's not.

People were championing for the acquisition of a studio with a long history of supporting multiple platforms, and are still doing so in the related threads, like the most recent one about a visit to Poland, and the rumor about a possible Asian acquisition. Wet dreams about CD Project Red and From Software can be found in abundance on those threads.

That being said, if the Hellblade sequel turns out to be an open world game, like the trailer seems to imply, it's not a big loss for me, since I've grown a strong distaste for the formula. That's why I have only bought a couple of AAA games during the past two years.

EDIT:

Yes, it's worse, as the usual moneyhat deals only delay when everyone can play the games, or only affect a single game, not every game the studio makes. In this case, no-one can play the game, that was already in the works before the acquisition, outside of Microsoft's eco system. Let alone, that if it turns out that the increased budget made them change it into yet another open world game, it would have been better as a mid-budget good old linear experience, like the first.
Microsoft is buying studios to make their first party offering more enticing.

Lastly, Ninja Theory when they were acquired, had a video out as to what it meant for their development. They stated that this was now a move that would allow them to take bigger risks and dream big. This is what I want as someone that games primarily on the Xbox.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

EDIT:

And I never championed MS buying CD project Red. It isn't that I didn't get the answer I wanted. It's just a ridiculous double standard. If that's the position you are going to take I expect a lot of grumbling about Ori, psychonauts, wasteland, senua, Outer Worlds, pillars of eternity...

Is your problem that they are making sequels to IP's they own exclusive or that people are championing for them to buy otherwise healthy studios? It comes across as they shouldn't make newly acquired IP's exclusive which is dumbfounding.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
And I never championed MS buying CD project Red. It isn't that I didn't get the answer I wanted. It's just a ridiculous double standard. If that's the position you are going to take I expect a lot of grumbling about Ori, psychonauts, wasteland, senua, Outer Worlds, pillars of eternity...

Is your problem that they are making sequels to IP's they own exclusive or that people are championing for them to buy otherwise healthy studios? It comes across as they shouldn't make newly acquired IP's exclusive which is dumbfounding.
Even the claim that successful studios should not be bought is similarly dumbfounding. It is something that is staple in the gaming business.

You cannot simply go around gobbling depressed assets alone; eventually, you want to have some really good studios similarly headlining your purchases. Sony bought Insomniac, and it is something that elevates their first party holding, and it is OK.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Even the claim that successful studios should not be bought is similarly dumbfounding. It is something that is staple in the gaming business.

You cannot simply go around gobbling depressed assets alone; eventually, you want to have some really good studios similarly headlining your purchases. Sony bought Insomniac, and it is something that elevates their first party holding, and it is OK.
This too. The idea that all those games I listed earlier should be off the table because they appeared on other platforms is laughable. If Sony makes a sequel to Sunset Overdrive I'm not going to complain that they are "taking it away" Insomniac is a first party studio and that is now a Sony IP. It is how first party works.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This too. The idea that all those games I listed earlier should be off the table because they appeared on other platforms is laughable. If Sony makes a sequel to Sunset Overdrive I'm not going to complain that they are "taking it away" Insomniac is a first party studio and that is now a Sony IP. It is how first party works.
It is gamers looking at business through a very narrow lens of 'business must work in such a way that favors my tastes.' Businesses exist to make money. No one is investing in a first party studio to make sure that they are making games on another system.....unless you have something as huge as Minecraft.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If Sony makes a sequel to Sunset Overdrive id be pretty happy because I dont expect it at all.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Sorry for the bump, but someone was playing this at work and I noticed the three dots on the bottom-right with two being lit up (in the beginning of the video). Has there been any conversation about this and what it could mean, i.e., three games in development and Hellblade 2 is the second formally announced?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the bump, but someone was playing this at work and I noticed the three dots on the bottom-right with two being lit up (in the beginning of the video). Has there been any conversation about this and what it could mean, i.e., three games in development and Hellblade 2 is the second formally announced?

The three dots represent the three projects focusing on mental health at Ninja Theory.

Feb 10, 2018

I thought it was like a timing thing, like a countdown.