• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 10, 2019
Me after watching that trailer...
giphy.gif

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen already got me shook, this looks too good. Someone slap me in the face with a jaggy or something.

rQ9nyKo.jpg

kWdU6HH.png

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
So excited for this. I loved the first game, it was the first game I played with my Dolby Atmos headphones and it was so damn intense at times.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Hellblade and while I don't see why there's a sequel, I'll have faith in this. Given its also PC it seems, I'll be getting it even if I don't end up getting the new Xbox

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
I loved Hellblade and while I don't see why there's a sequel, I'll have faith in this. Given its also PC it seems, I'll be getting it even if I don't end up getting the new Xbox

I think they probably could've left it where it was, but I'm also happy to see the IP moving forward because I loved the first game and it's characters and world.

If anyone's unsure why the first game would get a sequel given how it ended:
Senua's father sold out their village to the Northmen, so presumably Senua is on a quest to gain vengeance on him and the Northmen who destroyed her world.

Decepticonprime

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 23, 2019
The fact that they showed love and had Heilung in the teaser made it auto day 1 (On PC) for me. The first game is one of the best games of its year and still underrated.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Hellblade yet but I've wanted to give it a shot. Glad to see NT have another story focused game though, not really a fan of Bleeding Edge from what I've played.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched the trailer 4 times already, the muscle movement on her face during the scream, especially the way her lips move, is exquisite.

For those saying that the game won't look close to that I want to point out this video is running real time:

Granted what was shown was the equivalent of cut scenes and not gameplay but I think they'll get very close to that in the final game.

Nov 4, 2017
+1 for this trailer is breathtaking, but where do you go with a Hellblade Sequel? It was such a perfect, descrete story with a fulfilling ending. Unless it's a prequel?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I liked the first game, so I'm looking forward to this.

Though I will say, that It seems odd to see Hellblade as a title that won't be appearing on all platforms, because I always looked at this series as one of the only triple A 'games for change'.

The point, of that type of game, is always to reach as many people as possible, to promote social change. One of their own trailers highlighted all the comments that they received from players, how their perspectives on mental health, and their outlooks on life, were changed by the game. It's a shame to have those kind of experiences only accessible to those with certain hardware and whatnot.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the first game, so I'm looking forward to this.

Though I will say, that It seems odd to see Hellblade as a title that won't be appearing on all platforms, because I always looked at this series as one of the only triple A 'games for change'.

The point, of that type of game, is always to reach as many people as possible, to promote social change. One of their own trailers highlighted all the comments that they received from players, how their perspectives on mental health, and their outlooks on life, were changed by the game. It's a shame to have those kind of experiences only accessible to those with certain hardware and whatnot.
Didnt the first launch as a Playstation exclusive?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trailer looks good, and I believe NT will deliver a great game, but just to reiterate what I posted in the XGS thread, I kind of am worried about sequelizing Hellblade cheapening the original game's achievements. I'm cautiously looking forward to this, but I would have rather had a spiritual successor rather than a sequel.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
You couldn't possibly pick a better band than Heilung to help announce a new Hellblade game out of nowhere.

I haven't owned an Xbox since the first one, thinking I might have to get one just for this game. Damn what a trailer. WHEW

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Don't really see why the game would need a sequel, but sure. The original had the best sound design in a game ever, I'm sure that'll continue. The visuals are also good. But the gameplay was boring and the story left a lot to be desired. Hopefully it's a lot more enjoyable to actually play this time.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
God DAYUM. Can I preorder the soundtrack yet? Fuck me.

Keep the binaural audio, and Melina Jeurgens and I am 100% sold already. What a trailer...I don't even care if it's not representative of what the final game will look like. More Senua that somehow looks darker than the original.

Paging Delphine.....have you managed to win the first one yet???

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's one hell of a trailer O.o Also, that is some damn-impressive facial capture/lipsyncing, even if it's pre-rendered and not in real time.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Man. What the fuck. I don't want to get hyped about next gen graphics right now lol. I hope the final game looks like that!

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
That's one hell of a trailer O.o Also, that is some damn-impressive facial capture/lipsyncing, even if it's pre-rendered and not in real time.

its real time/in engine just not gameplay but , seeing some ray traced games and considering how good hellblade looks, I would not be surprised if it looks that good in gameplay as well.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Didnt the first launch as a Playstation exclusive?

I guess so, I played it a little later down the line.

I don't think launching asynchronously is an issue though. Being able to play a game a little later seems very different from not being able to play a game at all. With that said, I think in an ideal world, you want this type of game to be hardware agnostic. I would argue that, for several reasons...

a) If your intentions to promote social change are genuine, then you should inherently want your game to be reached by as many as possible. Sometimes it's not possible for logistical reasons, but I don't think wherever possible the idea of getting this type of game to as many people as possible should prevail
b) These types of games, those that focus in on very sensitive and personal human phenomena, I think they have a lot of power with people. They may not sell all that well, but I think the people that they do resonate with become very personally attached by them, and then to see the sequel to that experience used as a bargaining chip in a console war... it just feels, tacky perhaps? I'd feel the same way if we had a sequel to That Dragon Cancer promoting a new hardware launch.

I'll play this on the next XBOX, but I'd prefer it be released as widely as possible.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes TLOU2 looked dated! Wow. I'm impressed.
Next gen games make current games look dated? Isn't that... the point? Why are people comparing next gen to current gen? Makes no sense. Too bad this had no gameplay. Calling it in-engine doesn't do it any favors when there's zero gameplay. Just looks like any other prerendered trailer.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I see this reveal as similar to the Uncharted 4 one. In hindsight, too good to be what to expect from the hardware, but I hope it comes close because if this is similar to the standard we can expect from next-gen consoles, then hot damn.

Ninja Theory rival Naughty Dog for the best facial animations in the industry
They are amazing. Both use different techniques to achieve some remarkable results. Naughty Dog animators still key frame by hand from mocap + reference material. Ninja Theory (at least from Hellblade onwards) uses a cutting edge motion capture to add real-time facial performance straight into the game for them to tweak. It's very impressive.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Looked drab, what they need to address is the combat and puzzles. The first was scenery sim where the hook was the mental state and face of the mc, retreating that ground does nothing for me (only played the first game because it was in VR)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I guess so, I played it a little later down the line.

I don't think launching asynchronously is an issue though. Being able to play a game a little later seems very different from not being able to play a game at all. With that said, I think in an ideal world, you want this type of game to be hardware agnostic. I would argue that, for several reasons...

a) If your intentions to promote social change are genuine, then you should inherently want your game to be reached by as many as possible. Sometimes it's not possible for logistical reasons, but I don't think wherever possible the idea of getting this type of game to as many people as possible should prevail
b) These types of games, those that focus in on very sensitive and personal human phenomena, I think they have a lot of power with people. They may not sell all that well, but I think the people that they do resonate with become very personally attached by them, and then to see the sequel to that experience used as a bargaining chip in a console war... it just feels, tacky perhaps? I'd feel the same way if we had a sequel to That Dragon Cancer promoting a new hardware launch.

I'll play this on the next XBOX, but I'd prefer it be released as widely as possible.
Pretty sure this is also coming to PC like the other Xbox titles.

They are amazing. Both use different techniques to achieve some remarkable results. Naughty Dog animators still key frame by hand from mocap + reference material.
ND has been using full performance capture since UC4. They no longer solely keyframe facial animation.
4up.png

And the raw data from facial or motion capture is never the end result that we see in game, even high quality facial capture gets iterated on by animators. I always see people present that as an ND specific thing and it's always been really strange.

Last edited:

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I've watched the trailer 4 times already, the muscle movement on her face during the scream, especially the way her lips move, is exquisite.

For those saying that the game won't look close to that I want to point out this video is running real time:

Granted what was shown was the equivalent of cut scenes and not gameplay but I think they'll get very close to that in the final game.

I'm pretty sure it'll look super good. I mean.. That's also the dev and the type of game. Let's remember the first game can run on Switch with a pretty insane level of detail on faces..
But that also means it's not specially representative of the general level of details for characters in other games. That's why it's not the best showcase for me.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Killzone 2 looked really good during its "in-game" trailer too. I'm sure this game will look great, but don't delude yourself into false expectations. Until I see gameplay, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Really think a huge visual benefit of the increased memory with the next gen will be animation quality. I mean if you had told me parts of this were live action I would have believed you, incredible stuff.