• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, didn't see this coming. Great, more people get to try it. Hope it runs relatively well.
Good on MS, if this wasn't already in the pipes prior to the acquisition.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Psychosis ruined my life and turning that condition into entertainment/fun gameplay mechanics just makes me feel sick. On the other hand if its genuinely raising awareness for what its like then its a good thing... so I still haven't tried the game and need to know from the perspective of someone who has been in that place in life how this game feels.

I keep hearing about how they "did their research" but did the game actually give people any perspective or was it mostly for fun?

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game need good and clean visual as well as good audio. Not the best feats for switch. Already bought on PS4 and have it on Xbox with gamepass So will pass

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Curious to see how it runs
I played this in 60 hz mode on the PS4 pro and it did have some dips here and there. I can't imagine it running 60 hz on the base PS4 which is probably why we never got the PSVR port.

But I don't see any reason for it to not run 30 hz on the switch with lower res/effects.

This is a 10/10 game so if you have never played it before it's absolutely a must have IMHO. Prepare for a lot of dust in the eyes at the end!

Edit: this also gives me hope that I might be able to play future Ninja Theory games after MS picked them up. Maybe they won't be making xbox/windows exclusives after all.

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Awesome. While I can't justify buying the game again people who haven't played it should definitely give it a shot. One of the few games of it's sort that I enjoyed. Also an excellent soundtrack!

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't comprehend how big third party publishers are reluctant to port their games to Switch but small studios like Ninja Theory would gladly bring their current gen games. Shame on you third parties. I will gladly buy your game AGAIN, Ninja Theory.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
A masterpiece everyone who hasn't played it yet must buy. Although apparently it is being ported by the same team who did Dark Souls for the Switch so hopefully the audio isn't super compressed because sound is arguably the most important part of this game.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Psychosis ruined my life and turning that condition into entertainment/fun gameplay mechanics just makes me feel sick. On the other hand if its genuinely raising awareness for what its like then its a good thing... so I still haven't tried the game and need to know from the perspective of someone who has been in that place in life how this game feels.

I'd recommend watching this video essay about Hellblade, written by someone who is living with psychosis. It has spoilers for the entire game, but to be frank, I think at least hearing someone give their perspective on the entire game may be more beneficial than avoiding spoilers, as it helps add additional context. One point they do make in the video that is an important takeaway, is that Hellblade is not designed to be fun. It is designed to create empathy and understanding. This is an extremely difficult game for someone who has psychosis to play, as they also talk about in the video, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you play the game. My girlfriend will not play this game for this reason, as she deals with this in life, and the last thing she wants to do is experience it in a game in such a strong form. However, as someone who does not have psychosis, it gave me just a bit of extra understanding of the smallest amount of what it may be like in an abstract form, for the few hours I played this game for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52flQkqj5gs

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend watching this video essay about Hellblade, written by someone who is living with psychosis. It has spoilers for the entire game, but to be frank, I think at least hearing someone give their perspective on the entire game may be more beneficial than avoiding spoilers, as it helps add additional context. One point they do make in the video that is an important takeaway, is that Hellblade is not designed to be fun. It is designed to create empathy and understanding. This is an extremely difficult game for someone who has psychosis to play, as they also talk about in the video, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you play the game. My girlfriend will not play this game for this reason, as she deals with this in life, and the last thing she wants to do is experience it in a game in such a strong form. However, as someone who does not have psychosis, it gave me just a bit of extra understanding of the smallest amount of what it may be like in an abstract form, for the few hours I played this game for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52flQkqj5gs

Thank you for this

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's a Microsoft studio doing porting their games to Switch?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Can't wait for the Digital Foundry review that compares the PC version with a 2080 Ti to the Switch.
But seriously though, it's very interesting from a tech perspective.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
What's a Microsoft studio doing porting their games to Switch?
Yeah, what the fuck?

QcKAuV.jpg

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Definitely the most random announcement to me. Tsum Tsum aside lol. Looked good, but not sure I'd bother playing this on Switch. Horror games in bed are fun though, so maybe I'll give it a try.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

I keep hearing about how they "did their research" but did the game actually give people any perspective or was it mostly for fun?

It gives a lot of perspective. I absolutely love what this game does and how it handles the issue. I've struggled with mental illness for almost half of my life and this game describes what I feel far better than I have ever put into words. I've never experienced psychosis so your opinion may be much different than my own. The schizophrenic part of the gameplay is uncomfortable and confusing. It's not meant to be fun. It's clear that it's a struggle for Senua. I believe it helps create empathy for those who struggle with mental illness and especially psychosis/schizophrenia. It's one of my favorite games. I plan to play it through with my best friend so she can just get a little bit more understanding what we go through.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It gives a lot of perspective. I absolutely love what this game does and how it handles the issue. I've struggled with mental illness for almost half of my life and this game describes what I feel far better than I have ever put into words. I've never experienced psychosis so your opinion may be much different than my own. The schizophrenic part of the gameplay is uncomfortable and confusing. It's not meant to be fun. It's clear that it's a struggle for Senua. I believe it helps create empathy for those who struggle with mental illness and especially psychosis/schizophrenia. It's one of my favorite games. I plan to play it through with my best friend so she can just get a little bit more understanding what we go through.

My brother has paranoid schizophrenia and this game really helped my sister and me to understand what goes on when he has his attacks. It's definitely given us a tighter bond if that makes sense.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
My brother has paranoid schizophrenia and this game really helped my sister and me to understand what goes on when he has his attacks. It's definitely given us a tighter bond if that makes sense.

I'm sorry that your brother is afflicted by that. I'm happy that because of the game you have a better understanding. Stories like that are why I love this game so much. It may not be the best mechanically and the gameplay may get repetitive but I absolutely love what this game has done for mental health awareness. It's helped me come to terms with my own illness.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I mean, it makes a kind of sense for Microsoft to port a game that has already been out on multiple platforms and garnered critical and commercial acclaim. A game that was made and released pre-acquisition, at that. I don't think this means the floodgates are about to open.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Ninja Theory's future games will be exclusive to Xbox, but it's good to see more people play Hellblade! I'm a bit surprised it can run on the hardware.
Well you probably can play it via Xcloud on Switch when the time comes.

Also this platform Agnostic approach from Microsoft seems to be real.
Not every game would make sense on the Nintendo Switch, but Sea of Thieves and Rare Replay would.

Sea of Thieves is also UE4 and runs on potato PC hardware. All depends if Rare has some resources open to port the game.
People just need to stop partisan fights, because the game would not be Xbox exclusive anymore and therefor lying marketing.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I'm sorry that your brother is afflicted by that. I'm happy that because of the game you have a better understanding. Stories like that are why I love this game so much. It may not be the best mechanically and the gameplay may get repetitive but I absolutely love what this game has done for mental health awareness. It's helped me come to terms with my own illness.

I've seen him do things like talking to a dead friend on the phone, refusing to go into the shower because he believes the water is acid and other things but I never realised how real it was to him. I've never doubted the illness but this game put it in a whole new perspective when it comes to understanding how it must feel for the affected. It's hard to describe by words, it must be experienced.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

There's a developer video they put into the game, it has some spoilers so it unlocks shortly after playing the game. It goes into depth how the game was created and how the dev team worked with feedback they got from people that suffered from psychosis.

While the game does have combat, it has a large amount of weight to it. It's not a game you play for fun. The binaural audio can be both frightening and encouraging depending on where you are in the game. For me it was a very intense experience. Some sequences in the game affected me so much I had to take a break an lie down for a second.

I definitely don't recommend anyone plays the game without a care. Which is why a switch port is kinda hmm, because Nintendo focuses a lot of bringing in games for fun. Still if it helps spread awareness and remove some of the stigmas surrounding mental health that would be ultimately a good thing.

The game also issues a warning before hand. I'd definitely avoid Hellblade when you have a history of psychosis, it might trigger a bad episode and your mental health is way more important than that.

Aside from the game, Ninja Theory has donated part of their profits to mental health organizations and has posted affiliated links on their website of hellblade.

I wanted to add this from my own perspective, where I have gained a lot more understanding just by playing this game. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice does not take psychosis lighty.

I hope this helps in any capacity. For yourself or other posters.