• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The list of games that I've been interested in from day one but never got round to till they appeared on Switch is a very long and specific list. And this game just got added to it.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Can some explain this game to me. Action adventure? Combat? Does look good.

It is an Action Adventure with puzzles and combat, a bit Like 3D Zeldas or the new God of War, but more linear and overall less complex. The combat or the puzzles aren't the games strongest parts. The atmosphere, sound design and narrative are the main attractions in combination with a great protagonist.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, just because one port runs crappy, doesn't mean another will. Switch games look beautiful when the dev cares enough to try.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
What I find funny about this whole announcement is that so often folks get disappointed that X game isn't announced for the NS. Then something like this get announced (later, of course), but then folks say, "it's cool, but not a game I'd play on the NS." Ha, ha! It's funny. Even the same thing with the Doom Eternal. Makes me wonder if this is why some companies don't even bother with making NS versions of their games.

Oct 26, 2017
What I find funny about this whole announcement is that so often folks get disappointed that X game isn't announced for the NS. Then something like this get announced (later, of course), but then folks say, "it's cool, but not a game I'd play on the NS." Ha, ha! It's funny. Even the same thing with the Doom Eternal. Makes me wonder if this is why some companies don't even bother with making NS versions of their games.
Well they're also different people. Most of the people saying the later aren't exactly intending to contribute much of anything

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Well they're also different people. Most of the people saying the later aren't exactly intending to contribute much of anything

Maybe that's true, but when watching videos of the reactions to this so many Youtubers are saying, "Just play it on the Xbox", or "I'd play it on another system with better graphics." Definitely doesn't speak for everyone, but seems almost no excitement for this and most I've seen is folks saying they'd just play it on another system and not the NS anyway.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Hey that's not bad at all, you must be fun at parties : D Gave me chuckle not going to lie. I am not bashing Switch, but well, it's a good joke in my book, caught me off guard : )

I'm glad the joke found an audience :-)

The joke came from a real concern though. The switch is a neat system and great for what it is, but from playing the game on PC, I remember the game being rather hungry performance wise. Also, a lot of the atmosphere and appeal is generated though the amazing rendering of the main character. I just hope this does not get lessened because of potential technical sacrifices.

But I have faith in the devs, they'll do the right choices.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe that's true, but when watching videos of the reactions to this so many Youtubers are saying, "Just play it on the Xbox", or "I'd play it on another system with better graphics." Definitely doesn't speak for everyone, but seems almost no excitement for this and most I've seen is folks saying they'd just playing it on another system and not the NS anyway.
I think that's just the online bubble and is said for every multiplatform Switch game ever. At the very worst, the game will likely do decent on the Switch as many games seem to do, when you take into account that it's a late port and sandwiched between other major releases

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's true, but when watching videos of the reactions to this so many Youtubers are saying, "Just play it on the Xbox", or "I'd play it on another system with better graphics." Definitely doesn't speak for everyone, but seems almost no excitement for this and most I've seen is folks saying they'd just playing it on another system and not the NS anyway.

Yeah, you're not far off. You see it a lot from the media/youtubers.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the joke found an audience :-)

The joke came from a real concern though. The switch is a neat system and great for what it is, but from playing the game on PC, I remember the game being rather hungry performance wise. Also, a lot of the atmosphere and appeal is generated though the amazing rendering of the main character. I just hope this does not get lessened because of potential technical sacrifices.

But I have faith in the devs, they'll do the right choices.

If this is all indeed Switch footage the main character's rendering looks absolutely remarkable. The rest of the image quality seems to have been reduced quite a bit, with a lowered resolution too, but Senua's visual appearance has likely been mostly retained.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're not far off. You see it a lot from the media/youtubers.

It's frustrating to see, because some of the same folks will be upset to not see X game announced for the NS. I personally think this is a great thing and I may go ahead and pick it up when it comes out. Need to get a larger micro SD card first.....

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's frustrating to see, because some of the same folks will be upset to not see X game announced for the NS. I personally think this is a great thing and I may go ahead and pick it up when it comes out. Need to get a larger micro SD card first.....

The other thing (particularly with people who are in/formerly in the media) is that a lot of them have no knowledge/interest in stuff like Rune Factory, so the announcements were kinda dismissed but those were significant for DS/3DS fans.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
whoops somehow got my comments mixed up with another thread, suffice to sya, good to see another porting house work on Switch, it means more options outside of Panic Button/Tantalus/Virtuos

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Im in once I get a new sd card lol always wanted to try this game out keep targeting me Nintendo and keep these ports coming I love it..

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Im very curious how far they had to cut down the visuals to actually get it running on Switch. DF do your thing!

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have this game on my list of must plays. Now that it's on GamePass I have no excuse not to play it. Working magic with the Switch, looks incredible.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
My mind is still blown that the madmen that dared to port this on Switch managed made it work

Why? The switch is supposed to be powerful enough for those level of visuals. We've gotten too used to first party cartoony games from Nintendo that we forget this handheld is supposed to be a smidge more powerful than last gen consoles that brought us visual powerhouses like Killzone 3, Halo 4 and TLOU.

The Hellblade shots shown don't even look more spectacular than ROTR on Xbox 360.

http://raidingtheglobe.com/gallery/rise-of-the-tomb-raider/screenshots-xbox360

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if MS will have any credit or role in the Switch version. Minecraft only got MS's full involvement after the buyout once the Wii U version came out in terms of non-XB versions. Dunno about mobile. :P

Also makes me wonder if it will get XBL integration as the whole GDC keynote will be about. Even if it's single-player only, the game could benefit from achievements and just having it in your MS account would be neat.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Can some explain this game to me. Action adventure? Combat? Does look good.

Puzzles and combat in equal measure I'd say. Puzzles tend to be environmental and everything you need to solve them is given to you up front (no getting a key and running it around the game world trying it on locks).

Combat is visceral and fun, if a little basic.

Me and my friend group have played through it and a few of us (myself included) found it very, very unnerving and others didn't at all.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm floored this is working on the Switch it's a 900p 30fps game on the base PS4 and frequently gets compared positively to the likes of GOW4 and Horizon Zero Dawn. I would love to see some development stories on how they got it running and I'm looking forward to a potential Digital Foundry Analysis.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if MS will have any credit or role in the Switch version. Minecraft only got MS's full involvement after the buyout once the Wii U version came out in terms of non-XB versions. Dunno about mobile. :P

Also makes me wonder if it will get XBL integration as the whole GDC keynote will be about. Even if it's single-player only, the game could benefit from achievements and just having it in your MS account would be neat.
They said the port predates the buyout, so the money will go directly to NT rather than Microsoft (and then to NT)

Oct 26, 2017
They said the port predates the buyout, so the money will go directly to NT rather than Microsoft (and then to NT)

Likely. But I'd think MS would want to get involved either way and try to tie it to themselves since they're doing this whole XBL integration thing on Switch and now they own Ninja Theory. Not to mention, it's likely the last version of the game we'll see for a long while if ever barring a remaster on Xbox Scarlett (and Switch 2?). May as well seize the opportunity while they can.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
This just goes to show that the Switch's hardware definitely isn't the limiting factor when it comes to making a great looking game. Imagine if a company as talented as Ninja Theory designed a Switch game from the ground up. Nintendo doesn't really have an internal team that can push its hardware with realistic graphics.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm floored this is working on the Switch it's a 900p 30fps game on the base PS4 and frequently gets compared positively to the likes of GOW4 and Horizon Zero Dawn. I would love to see some development stories on how they got it running and I'm looking forward to a potential Digital Foundry Analysis.

This and DQXI are showcasing how well UE4 is tailored to the Switch (or vice versa).

Remember the mythical "2x 16FP processing"? Well maybe it's finally being put into practice, since it's apparently very easy to do that in UE4 games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Likely. But I'd think MS would want to get involved either way and try to tie it to themselves since they're doing this whole XBL integration thing on Switch and now they own Ninja Theory. Not to mention, it's likely the last version of the game we'll see for a long while if ever barring a remaster on Xbox Scarlett (and Switch 2?). May as well seize the opportunity while they can.
If so, I find it weird that MS isn't stepping up for a physical release. I don't think there will be so much a remaster but a patch for higher framerates and resolutions for all systems.